DBP2011 & DBP-1611 owner's thread. All questions and comments go here. - Page 28 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #811 of 1055 Old 06-23-2011, 05:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badas View Post
Okay,

I'm very happy with this player. Got it setup last night and had a 4 hour play with it.

Turned off all powersave options, BD Live and 3D.
It played all blu-ray really well. Yes it takes a long time to open, however once a disc was inserted I found it quick. Avatar was a lot quicker than my Oppo BD-83.

I found the Setup easy, some may struggle. The only curve ball I got was to turn the mixed audio off using the mode button. So I could bitstream to my AVR. However I got it.

Pro's: Looks. Matches my Denon AVR 3808 well, BD Playback, SACD, DVD Audio and CD. Fan is quiet.

Cons: DVD playback. I have a 104" screen using a DILA projector. It shows every flaw. This player just can't compete with the Oppo on DVD upscaling.
For me I just don't care. I only have 25 DVD's left in my collection and I can use the Oppo.

Some have critisized the GUI. I liked it. However I have used a lot of Denon products and I am use to their logic.

Just my intial thoughts.

Ta Dono
Ta Dono,

I'm glad you are enjoying your new purchase. I hope it serves you well for as long as you own it.

Willie

Pioneer Elite PRO-151FD

Zektor MAS7.1

Classé CA-2200/CA-5200

Oppo BDP-105, Denon DVD-5910CI, Cambridge 752BD, Cambridge 640C V2

Paradigm Signature S8, Paradigm Signature ADP1

Paradigm Signature ADP3, Paradigm Signature C5

REL R-505 Sub (2)

Oppo BDP-93, BDP-103D, Pioneer BDP-320

Sony BDP-S790

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 1055 Old 06-24-2011, 07:47 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:

Cons: DVD playback. I have a 104" screen using a DILA projector. It shows every flaw. This player just can't compete with the Oppo on DVD upscaling. For me I just don't care. I only have 25 DVD's left in my collection and I can use the Oppo.

I have not seen the Oppo BDP-93 and its upscaling capabilities, but now I am more curious to try one.

I have a ton of DVDs, but have been archiving them onto my Mac Mini w/ Drobo storage and playing through an Apple TV 2 (my wife and daughter just refused to put away the discs, which drove me crazy, so I solved that problem by putting them all on to a hard drive )

However, many of my early transfers were over compressed and while my family doesn't care, I have gone back to the discs for movies I really like (and I've been buying more Blu-rays). I am thinking seriously about purchasing a BDP-93 and moving the Denon 1611UD upstairs to my listening system for SACD and DVD-A playback.

Anyway, glad to hear the 1611UD is working out and I agree with you: it's a nice looking unit.

"Play the volume as loud as you want - but don't touch my levels now. I got them set just like I like them"
post #813 of 1055 Old 06-27-2011, 04:27 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krutsch View Post

I have not seen the Oppo BDP-93 and its upscaling capabilities, but now I am more curious to try one.

I have a ton of DVDs, but have been archiving them onto my Mac Mini w/ Drobo storage and playing through an Apple TV 2 (my wife and daughter just refused to put away the discs, which drove me crazy, so I solved that problem by putting them all on to a hard drive )

However, many of my early transfers were over compressed and while my family doesn't care, I have gone back to the discs for movies I really like (and I've been buying more Blu-rays). I am thinking seriously about purchasing a BDP-93 and moving the Denon 1611UD upstairs to my listening system for SACD and DVD-A playback.

Anyway, glad to hear the 1611UD is working out and I agree with you: it's a nice looking unit.

I have the Oppo BDP-83 not the 93.

However I can tell you this. When I first got it I did a DVD test between
The Oppo BDP-83 and the Denon DVD 3930CI. I had the Denon 3930 for
2 years before the Oppo. The Denon has the Rexon VX chipset in it. One of
the best.
I grabbed LOTR Return of the King Extended on DVD. 2 copies, 1 mine and 1 from a friend.
They were both NTSC versions. I watched the whole movie in the Denon and took mental
notes on any scenes that were problematic. I then got those scenes up in the Oppo.
The problems were not there in the Oppo. I then looked at scenes that had high amounts
of video noise. The Oppo was cleaner and more film like. Quite a achievement.
I then just used the Oppo from then on for DVD. I only got bad quality from poorly
mastered transfers (I'm pointing my finger at you Warners).
The Oppo was always clean and clear on well mastered DVD's. That went for NTSC
and PAL discs.

It is a pity because I think you hit the nail on the head. All this could be too late
with blu on the market. I have gone from 480 DVD's (my peek) to 29 DVD's and
falling. I now own 470 blu's where upscaling is not needed.

I think you have to weigh up how many blu's you can buy if you purchased
the Oppo and if you would get a decent return.

Ta Dono
post #814 of 1055 Old 06-27-2011, 05:42 PM

Liked: 10
How can I reset my BCP-1611UD completely? It's gotten into a weird state where the remote control works, but the buttons on the front seem 'locked' and have no function. Is there a protocol of buttons I can push to re-set the microprocessor or the device. (Plugging and unplugging does not work, re-setting to factory settings does not work).
post #815 of 1055 Old 06-27-2011, 09:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimtr View Post

How can I reset my BCP-1611UD completely? It's gotten into a weird state where the remote control works, but the buttons on the front seem 'locked' and have no function. Is there a protocol of buttons I can push to re-set the microprocessor or the device. (Plugging and unplugging does not work, re-setting to factory settings does not work).

There is a system intilize in the settings menu. Give that a go.

Ta Dono
post #816 of 1055 Old 07-16-2011, 12:27 AM
Advanced Member

Hey,

I found a flaw with the video system on this player.

When setting HDMI Deep Colour to Auto. It is not sending above white info at all.

I thought the contrast didn't look right with this player. It is higher than other players. So I ran the S&M testing disc. It shows that it produces the below black info correctly (part of Deep Colour), however put the above white pattern on and it shows white is clipped and blooming out the whites.
Probably designed that way to look brighter.

I tried the picture adjust to lower the contrast. I set to -1 and then the above white info showed up. Unfortunately I checked below black again and it stuffed the below black info up.

Not very good for a recent player. Even the old PS3's do it correctly.

I left mine setup with the bug, because there is not so much above white info on blu-ray however others should know. The video is not pure or correct.

Ta Dono
post #817 of 1055 Old 07-16-2011, 06:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
Quote:

Hey,

I found a flaw with the video system on this player.

When setting HDMI Deep Colour to Auto. It is not sending above white info at all.

I thought the contrast didn't look right with this player. It is higher than other players. So I ran the S&M testing disc. It shows that it produces the below black info correctly (part of Deep Colour), however put the above white pattern on and it shows white is clipped and blooming out the whites.
Probably designed that way to look brighter.

I tried the picture adjust to lower the contrast. I set to -1 and then the above white info showed up. Unfortunately I checked below black again and it stuffed the below black info up.

Not very good for a recent player. Even the old PS3's do it correctly.

I left mine setup with the bug, because there is not so much above white info on blu-ray however others should know. The video is not pure or correct.

Ta Dono

Ta Dono,

This is an interesting discovery. I've read too many posts about pictures having more pop, being sharper, more contrast, etc. It's nice to read a post from someone who is concerned with the picture being correct or accurate.

Willie

Pioneer Elite PRO-151FD

Zektor MAS7.1

Classé CA-2200/CA-5200

Oppo BDP-105, Denon DVD-5910CI, Cambridge 752BD, Cambridge 640C V2

Paradigm Signature S8, Paradigm Signature ADP1

Paradigm Signature ADP3, Paradigm Signature C5

REL R-505 Sub (2)

Oppo BDP-93, BDP-103D, Pioneer BDP-320

Sony BDP-S790

post #818 of 1055 Old 07-17-2011, 03:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerwi View Post

Ta Dono,

This is an interesting discovery. I've read too many posts about pictures having more pop, being sharper, more contrast, etc. It's nice to read a post from someone who is concerned with the picture being correct or accurate.

Willie

Yeah Willie,

This gave me a fright when I discovered it. Denon usually prides itself on being accurate. Not this time.

Don't get me wrong. The picture looks amazing. I noticed straight away that it looked better than my Oppo BD-83 (brighter). It just puzzled me why.
All HDMI blu-ray should look the same. This is why I ran the tests and found the above white video clipping.

I have 3 blu-ray players in my rack (PS3 slim, Oppo BD-83, Denon DBP-1611). I try and get them setup so they produce the same picture, so I can just calibrate at the projector end and not worry about changing picture profiles for different players. The PS3 and the Oppo produce exactly the same picture. The Denon clips the whites at about Rec 240 (should go to 255).

I think they have done this on purpose to give the picture extra pop. I just wish they had decided to go for accuracy instead. We can always decide to clip the whites ourselves in our display settings if we wanted extra contrast or brightness.

Ta Dono
post #819 of 1055 Old 07-20-2011, 11:08 AM

Hi! first post. As a proud Denon DBP 1611 owner I was surprised to see there is no info here on the latest firmware update. I received mine about 3 days ago and I was expecting youtube support update but no such luck.

Actually after the update I saw no difference, then I went digging around Denon support site to find this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by denon.co.uk
Changelog of DBP1611UD

MCU Ver 101
Specific BD "Foreigner:Rockin at the Ryman"stops at 00:00:12.

The icon is not displayed of SOUND OF MUSIC (A privilege disc).

When BD-R was recorded by Panasonic BD recorder, it can't reproduce and no operation.
DBP-1611UD doesn't play DVD-AUDIO disc "SARAH VAUGHAN AND THE COUNT BASIE ORCHESTRA/SEND IN THE CLOWNS (VIAJ-60014)"

MCU Ver 100
If in setup menu -> Audio -> Sound output -> HDMI Audio is set to off, 3D is not available anymore.
Playback failure with "TDBA-0051/EURO ARTS 2055498/EURO ARTS 2053078".
Does not play BD "Piranha" in 3D (DIMENSION FILM).
The reader is stuck after the menu entry of the copyright and does not go to chapter 1 movie. In this condition unit cannot be controlled neither by any key nor by RC. The only exception is the Power operation button (ON/STANDBY) to switch off.

?. LIGABUE Title. "ARRIVEDERCI MOSTRO" W.B. Records DVD 9 DOUBLE LAYER.

?. LIGABUE Title "SETTE NOTTI IN ARENA" W.B. Records DVD 9 DOUBLE LAYER.

MCU Ver 085
Update the Firmware for correspond to "3D".
Correction of the Firmware for a symptom that "Power on does not work".

I'm having a slight problem with a specific disc. (Sammy's adventures, Finnish version) Playback stops at about 40-50 minutes or so, can´t remember the exact figure but I´ll dig it out. I suppose its the spot where layer should be changed. Where do you think I should contact about it, Denon's Finnish, UK or US customer service? I´m not so sure the local people can do anything about firmware...

Oh btw is it too late to make DBP-1611 owner´s thread?

edit: playback stops at exactly 49min 35 seconds. I´m contacting local support first.
post #820 of 1055 Old 07-21-2011, 03:53 PM

Denon USA clearly states there should have been firmware update for Youtube playback with dbp- 1611

http://usa.denon.com/US/Product/Page...4-ce29a6f55328

(click detailed specification - media support)

Quote:

YOUTUBE STREAMING Firmware Update July 17th 2011

Has anyone here received this July 17th Firmware Update?

How do I get the feeling I´ve been dropped to a beehive that all the bees have just recently abandoned so as to search for new OPPOrtunity.
post #821 of 1055 Old 07-22-2011, 08:43 AM

Ive updated firmware and now see that my netflix button is activated, last time it said that was not available to canada or something like that, it tells me to go to netflix.ca/denon and enter a code. when i enter that it takes me to the netflix sign on page, and I see a list of compatable bd players and denon is not on it. dont see a place to enter my code etc. is there still a glitch with denon/netflix and canada?
I as well have no youtube, button is still deactivated!
post #822 of 1055 Old 07-22-2011, 09:01 AM

I'm also in Canada and Netflix is indeed working.

Sign up for Netflix on their site. While online, go to your Denon and when it asks if you have an account, say "Yes" and it'll give you an activation code. Go to something like netflix.ca/activate and enter the Denon code and it'll start working.
post #823 of 1055 Old 07-22-2011, 10:05 AM

ok working now, I should have slept in longer, cause i was trying to do this at 4 in the morning, I have sleep issues!
post #824 of 1055 Old 07-22-2011, 12:41 PM

I'd be interested in knowing what you feel the quality is like. I'm finding it a bit stuttery. I've tested it with both "better" and "best" quality as set on the Netflix site, but both yield similar results. I have a 7.5 Mbps connection and playing movies off Netflix is fine on my computer.
post #825 of 1055 Old 07-22-2011, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbroeska View Post

I'd be interested in knowing what you feel the quality is like. I'm finding it a bit stuttery. I've tested it with both "better" and "best" quality as set on the Netflix site, but both yield similar results. I have a 7.5 Mbps connection and playing movies off Netflix is fine on my computer.

working great, no stuttering, i did not know there was quality setting on there site, iam going to check it out.
post #826 of 1055 Old 07-25-2011, 02:26 PM

Is anyone else getting choppy playback in Netflix? PQ is great (for HD streaming), but when the camera pans or there's lots of motion, it doesn't play smoothly. As mentioned above, I have measured a 7.5 Mb connection using speedtest.net. I'm wondering if maybe I'm not getting full bandwidth for Netflix from my ISP but it seems to play fine on my laptop. Anyone any ideas?
post #827 of 1055 Old 07-25-2011, 02:32 PM

Iam well below 7.5 and all working well
post #828 of 1055 Old 07-25-2011, 07:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbroeska View Post

Is anyone else getting choppy playback in Netflix? PQ is great (for HD streaming), but when the camera pans or there's lots of motion, it doesn't play smoothly. As mentioned above, I have measured a 7.5 Mb connection using speedtest.net. I'm wondering if maybe I'm not getting full bandwidth for Netflix from my ISP but it seems to play fine on my laptop. Anyone any ideas?

What titles have you been watching. In the Video Download Services & Hardware forum, we've talked at length about problematic titles with jittery or studder playback (during left/right camera pans). Older Starz Play encodes exhibit this, and some of the newly added material, such as Star Trek Voyager.

Try playing "Legend of the Fist: Return of Chen Zhen". I watched it Saturday and found the PQ wonderful, with no issues. If you experience the same problems you've encountered, then you'll need to take it to Netflix.

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
post #829 of 1055 Old 07-28-2011, 07:11 AM

Thanks Westly,

I checked for that title you suggested and we must not have it on Canadian Netflix. I might have to do as you've suggested and see what Netflix (or Denon) have to say about it. We've watched 5 or 6 movies now in the last couple weeks and every one of them had choppy playback at times.
post #830 of 1055 Old 08-04-2011, 09:05 AM

Hello,

I purchased the DENON DBP-1611UD 3 weeks ago and today I had the great idea to upgrade the firmware of the player.

When the player started again only the yellow light of the "on" knob was on and the fan was on but nothing on the display of the player and nothing on the TV...

My question is : can I restore the default settings ? I've already tried a hard reset but it doesn't work...

Help please...
post #831 of 1055 Old 08-06-2011, 05:45 PM

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTV DRAGON View Post

Ive updated firmware and now see that my netflix button is activated, last time it said that was not available to canada or something like that, it tells me to go to netflix.ca/denon and enter a code. when i enter that it takes me to the netflix sign on page, and I see a list of compatable bd players and denon is not on it. dont see a place to enter my code etc. is there still a glitch with denon/netflix and canada?
I as well have no youtube, button is still deactivated!

I never will understand the need for stuff like Netflix as a feature on Blu Ray player when Netflix and the like is poised to kill off blu ray from the market. We've already seen how downloadable music has all but killed CD from the market.
post #832 of 1055 Old 08-07-2011, 05:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auditor55 View Post

I never will understand the need for stuff like Netflix as a feature on Blu Ray player when Netflix and the like is poised to kill off blu ray from the market. We've already seen how downloadable music has all but killed CD from the market.

+1

I like my blu-ray players to play blu's.

Ta Dono
post #833 of 1055 Old 08-08-2011, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerwi View Post

What other players downsample SACD DSD to CD quality?

The only other players where I thought I heard issues surrounding the handling of DSD were Denon's two previous Universal players the DVD-A1UDCI and DBP-4010UDCI. However, I don't recall the exact problem.

If I'm wrong about the above players someone please feel free to correct me.

Willie

A player should send pure DSD if that's how its being advertised. However, downsampling to PCM or CD quality isn't bad, as there are no real discernable sound quality difference between DSD and CD.
post #834 of 1055 Old 08-08-2011, 05:49 PM

BTW, I've been thinking about purchasing this player, but I'm weary of its reported slow load speed. If this player is slow as in like the very first players were years ago, that sounds extremely disappointing.

As for SACD and DVD-A, I wish the music industry would revist multichannel music, but with True Dolby or DTS-HD Master sound. We don't need DSD or DVD-A. Just about every receiver or prepro today has a Dolby Digital and DTS decoder (lossy). Many of them now how True Dolby and DTS-HD Master decoding capability (lossless). There would be no need to get new hardware like you needed for SACD and DVD-A, that is why those formats failed.
post #835 of 1055 Old 08-08-2011, 09:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

BTW, I've been thinking about purchasing this player, but I'm weary of its reported slow load speed. If this player is slow as in like the very first players were years ago, that sounds extremely disappointing.

As for SACD and DVD-A, I wish the music industry would revist multichannel music, but with True Dolby or DTS-HD Master sound. We don't need DSD or DVD-A. Just about every receiver or prepro today has a Dolby Digital and DTS decoder (lossy). Many of them now how True Dolby and DTS-HD Master decoding capability (lossless). There would be no need to get new hardware like you needed for SACD and DVD-A, that is why those formats failed.

The players not slow, I find the oposite, Fairly quick.
It takes 25 seconds to boot up after that it is quick.
I don't know about your setup, however for me the slow startup is okay as I have other things to turn on.
I am comparing with the Oppo BDP-83. The Denon is slower to start but a little quicker than the Oppo on everything else. I run both these machine + PS3 slim in my HT.

Ta Dono
post #836 of 1055 Old 08-15-2011, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

You sure do like to be reassured dontcha?

Yes, every single Blu-ray player will sound IDENTICAL* over HDMI Identical. It's digital data; with a digital connection, the AVR is doing all the processing, EQ'ing, DAC's, amplification, etc. The player is just a transport.

* assuming it can bitstream / decode all the HD audio codecs of course, before the nitpick vultures jump in.

You know some people really don't get that. They believe if it cost more it sounds better.
post #837 of 1055 Old 08-17-2011, 02:13 PM

Quote:

The players not slow, I find the oposite, Fairly quick.
It takes 25 seconds to boot up after that it is quick.
I don't know about your setup, however for me the slow startup is okay as I have other things to turn on.
I am comparing with the Oppo BDP-83. The Denon is slower to start but a little quicker than the Oppo on everything else. I run both these machine + PS3 slim in my HT.

Ta Dono

I just picked up this unit. I noticed how quick it is, especially in comparison to my Samsung BR player.
post #838 of 1055 Old 08-18-2011, 01:27 PM

New FW update today. Youtube is working. Don't really care, except that it seems to play super smooth and Netflix is still stuttering. We've watched all kinds of shows and movies and all of them exhibit this.
post #839 of 1055 Old 08-18-2011, 06:16 PM

They should've had wireless capability for this player if they were going make it internet ready. Be that as it may, I still don't understand why Youtube and Netflix is needed on Blu Ray player, particular for a HT enthusiatic.
post #840 of 1055 Old 08-18-2011, 09:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I just picked up this unit. I noticed how quick it is, especially in comparison to my Samsung BR player.

Great to hear,

I'm loving this machine. Not using 3D, Youtube or Netfix (never will).
Plays blu's really well.

Ta Dono
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Denon Dbp 1611ud Universal Blu Ray Dvd Cd Player Black , Blu Ray Players
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page