AVS Forum banner

DBP2011 & DBP-1611 owner's thread. All questions and comments go here.

214K views 1K replies 199 participants last post by  amer.zahid 
#1 ·

http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/27/d...ol4-streaming/

Right on time, Denon's dropped the details on its hardware for 2010 on us. Taking top honors are two Blu-ray players: the DBP-2011UDCI ($799, August, not pictured) and the DBP-1611UD ($399, June, pictured above) that are touted as "true universal players"; with DVD-Audio and SACD playback out of the box and Blu-ray 3D on the way in a fall firmware update the company's confident they'll play most any 5-inch optical media you may be able to get your hands on. If you're past discs don't worry, Netflix, DLNA and YouTube streaming is also part of the deal.

SACD + Netflix + 3D future proofing. Pretty unique combination if you ask me. If the 1611 ends up at $299 street price, it could be pretty compelling and a must have for me

DENON® EXPANDS ITS ADVANCED UNIVERSAL BLU-RAY LINEUP

WITH TWO NEW 3D-READY HIGH-PERFORMANCE MODELS

--BD Live, 3D-Ready Players Include Netflix, YouTube Streaming and 1GB On-Board Memory--

Mahwah, NJ, April 26, 2010 – Denon Electronics, a premier manufacturer of high-quality home entertainment components celebrating 100 years of innovation and technology leadership in 2010, is providing discriminating consumers the opportunity to enjoy an enriched Blu-ray experience with the addition of two new 3D-Ready Universal Blu-ray players to its lineup. The new models, with expected SRP and availability in parenthesis, include the DBP-2011UDCI (SRP: $799, Aug.) and the DBP-1611UD (SRP: $399, June) that will join Denon's DBP-4010UDCI (SRP: $1,999) and critically acclaimed DVD-A1UDCI (SRP: $4,499) Universal Blu-ray Disc Players in the company's line of Blu-ray components, which also includes the S-5BD BD/Receiver (SRP: $1,799), a single-component that combines a 5.1-channel surround sound receiver with an advanced Profile 2.0 Blu-ray player.

3D-Readiness, Ultimate Quality Audio, True "Universal" Players

Denon's Blu-ray players represent the leading edge in performance and features for the fast-growing high-definition format. The "universal" Blu-ray models provide superior playback of virtually all 5-inch silver discs. To ensure total future-readiness, an upcoming firmware update is scheduled to be available in the fall for 3D capability in the new Blu-ray players. In addition to their ultimate-quality video reproduction, all Denon players reflect the company's longstanding heritage as an audio leader, offering impeccable high-resolution sonic playback, including DVD-Audio and SACD.

Exciting New Content Opportunities, More On-Board Memory

Both new Universal Denon Blu-ray players provide easy and straightforward access to the Internet, opening up new content and networking opportunities. For instance, both offer Netflix* and YouTube streaming and are DLNA 1.5-certified for audio/video/photo streaming with other DLNA certified products across a network. In addition to their many innovative interactivity features, including built-in BD Live and "Bonus View" functionality, they offer leading-edge Web access features with 1GB** of on-board memory for BD-Live playback and a USB connector for additional external memory for media and BD-Live content. The players are designed to enhance a consumer's total home entertainment experience with features such as Kodak Picture CD compatibility, as well as DivX HD+, MP3 and WMA playback (all via either recordable DVD/CD or external memory).

Noted Phil Cohn, Sr. Vice President, Sales & Marketing, Denon Electronics: "As we celebrate our centennial this year, Denon is reaffirming our core principle to provide customers with the best possible options for elevating their home entertainment experience. With our new Universal Blu-ray products, we now offer consumers the best that this exciting new format has to offer, delivering all the audio and video power intended by content providers, as well as a greater level of interactivity and Internet access."

In the new Denon Blu-ray players, ultimate quality audio and video playback is assured. Notably, the new DBP-2011UDCI features inclusion of the very latest Anchor Bay Technologies decoding Engine and Scalar, as well as all-new Burr-Brown 32-Bit, 192-kHz Audio DACs on all channels for unprecedented high-definition audio playback. For ultimate-quality image resolution, both new players feature HDMI v1.4a outputs with 3D and CEC (Consumer Electronics Control) capability and 36-Bit Deep Color. Further enhancing performance, they feature independent pathways for interlaced and progressive display, plus the DBP-2011UDCI has a full complement of advanced decoding circuitry, with decoding of all the latest HD audio formats from Dolby and dts.

Not only do both the new Denon models feature the capability to stream content from the Internet, they join all other players in the company's Universal Blu-ray lineup that are able to utilize their onboard Ethernet ports for BD-Live and firmware update access. Designed as an ideal solution for custom installation, the DBP-2011UDCI includes an RS-232 port for third-party controllers.

See less See more
#678 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by michdys /forum/post/19784795

It might work already directly through the DBP-1611, worth trying if you have this player!

Thanks michdys, I do have this player, though not yet connected directly to the Net. Meantime, I'm intersted in having a firmware update that would enable the unit to do YouTube, but not really interested in 3D capabilities. I'd like to see details of the upgrade at Denon's site before diving into any kinda download I know nothing of.

#679 ·
I just talked again to Denon support, they researched and didn't have any other calls from people with the same issue. So, he suggested I send it back to the company I bought it from for replacement. I asked about the 3D firmware update and he said, he think is should be released shortly but had no other details.

I think the guy I spoke with was named Corey and he was from a southern state based on his accent.

#680 ·
Just turned on my unit and guess what.... new firmware! It has 3D options now. I am going to see if it helped my turning on issue. If it doesn't, it's going back.

#684 ·
Well the firmware for the 1611 has been released in canada and usa, but the youtube issue has not been solved

#686 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthawk68 /forum/post/19793246

let us know if the power issues have been resolved with this firmware revision.

Yes It has been resolved.

#687 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthawk68 /forum/post/19793246

let us know if the power issues have been resolved with this firmware revision.

Hello,

Yes the power issue is resolved. I downloaded yesterday the firmware and after a good night sleep (10 hours) it started up again with the configuration I wanted
finally!

Why DENON support did not answer my requests with a simple 'yes' will always be the question.

#689 ·
DBP-2012UD

Just found this on the website of Denon's Belgian distributor:

Denon DBP-2012UD

Product leaflet

Quote:
features:

* With the Denon DBP-2012UD Blu-ray disc player, you can enjoy not only Blu-ray discs and DVDs in stunning sound and picture quality but Super Audio CDs and DVD-Audio discs, too. And that's not all, because the DBP-2012UD can also play music and video files stored on a PC and let you enjoy online content such as YouTube and Netflix. The DBP-2012UD shares the same structural and electrical design as Denon's high-class models. Coatings of different types have been applied to the surfaces of the disc mechanism and the top cover, and the top cover has been constructed of dual layers, to suppress vibrations that adversely affect sound and picture quality. The electrical circuits have also been carefully laid out in separate blocks to suppress noise caused by the different types of signals and magnetic influences. The DBP-2012UD allows you to enjoy sound and picture quality on a level that only a Denon Blu-ray disc player can give you.

* New features:

o A Universal Blu-ray disc player that also supports Super Audio CD and DVD-Audio formats

o Support Blu-ray 3DTM playback(*1)

o Network functions, to bring you a wealth of online content(*2):

+ Enjoy YouTube(*3) video distribution services without a PC.

+ Enjoy music, photo, and video files stored on a network-connected device such as a PC or NAS.

o Support Deep Color, "x.v.Color", High-Bit-Rate Audio output and HDMI control function

o High quality 32-bit/192kHz audio digital to analog converters

o High quality 12-bit video digital to analog converter

o USB port on the front

o Quick play

* Denon Technologies for superior sound and picture quality:

o Direct Mechanical Ground Construction, to suppress vibration and ensure high-quality HD sound and video:

+ Independent Block Construction, for faithful playback of audio and video signals

+ Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio HDMI output

+ Audio parts strictly selected for high quality sound

+ Pure direct mode

+ Denon's high picture quality circuitry, to visually enhance your sources

+ Advanced High-bit I/P Scaler, for a more detailed picture and depth in colors

+ 1080p/24 video output, to bring out the full quality of film

+ Deep color support

+ "x.v.Color" support

+ 3-D digital noise reduction

+ HDMI source direct mode to output native resolution of the disc

+ Picture adjustments

+ Gold plated terminals for high sound quality

* Ease of Use:

o User friendly GUI

o Glo-key remote controller

* Custom Integration Features:

o AMX, Crestron third party control support via RS-232C

o Remote In/Out connection

o Remote lock mode

* Plays disc media, online content, compressed video and music files, and a variety of other content:

o A Universal Blu-ray disc player that also supports Super Audio CD and DVD-Audio formats:

+ The DBP-2012UD plays not only Blu-ray discs and DVDs but a wide range of other optical media such as CDs, Super Audio CDs, and DVD-Audio. You can essentially enjoy your entire disc library in high sound and picture quality.

o Network functions, to bring you a wealth of online content(*3):

+ Enjoy YouTube(*2) video distribution services without a PC.

+ Enjoy music, photo, and video files stored on a networkconnected device such as a PC or NAS.

+ Supports BD-Live to let you enjoy promotional images or other content you download from the Internet to the built-in memory.

o Plays compressed content such as music and video files:

+ The DBP-2012UD plays DivX video files stored on USB memory, DVD-R/RW or other recordable media, MP3 and WMA music files, JPEG files taken with a digital camera, as well as WMV video files and MPEGAAC music files.

* Denon Technologies for superior sound and picture quality:

o Direct Mechanical Ground Construction, to suppress vibration and ensure high-quality HD sound and video:

+ The disc mechanism, which also absorbs vibration, is mounted at the center of the DBP-2012UD to efficiently release unwanted vibration through the feet to the ground and support high-quality sound and picture playback.

o Suppress internal and external vibrations and electromagnetic noises for high precision disc playability at all times

+ Newly designed center-drive mechanism

+ Disc loader tray coated with protein to absorb vibration

+ Separated unit structure

o Independent Block Construction, for faithful playback of audio and video signals

+ The electronic circuits have been mounted in separate locations inside the DBP-2012UD to ensure that the different types of signals do not affect each other and cause electronic or magnetic noise.

* Ease of Use:

o USB port on the front

+ A USB port has been provided on the front panel for convenience when connecting a device containing compressed music or video files.

* Versatile Disc Formats Playability:

o BD-Video

o BD-R (BDMV format)

o BD-RE (BDMV format)

o DVD-Video

o DVD-Audio

o DVD+R, DVD+RW (Video mode, AVCHD format)

o DVD-R, DVD-RW (Video mode, AVCHD format)

o Super Audio CD

o Audio CD

o CD-R, CD-RW

o Kodak Picture CD

* Other Features:

o HDMI resolution select on front panel

o Detachable AC cord

* Playable files:

o DVD-R/-RW/+R/+RW/CD-R/ -RW: MP3, WMA, AAC, LPCM, JPEG, DivX

o USB memory device: MP3, WMA, AAC, LPCM, JPEG, DivX, MPEG, WMV(*4),AVI(*5)

o Network: MP3, WMA, AAC, LPCM, JPEG, DivX, MPEG, WMV(*4),AVI(*5)

* *1. Requires connection to 3D-compliant TV via 3D-compliant HDMI cable.

* *2. Requires contract with Internet service provider.

* *3. Update distribution via network connection is slated to start Spring, 2011.

* *4. Playable video formats: WMV9, WMV9AP (VC-1)

* *5. Playable video formats: MPEG1, MPEG2, MPEG4

specifications:

* Main Specifications:

o Video:

+ Signal System: PAL/NTSC

o Audio:

+ S/N: 125 dB

+ Total harmonic distortion: 0.0008% (2ch, L/R)

+ Dynamic range: 110 dB

o General:

+ Power supply: 110 - 240 V, 50/60 Hz

+ Dimensions (incl. protrusions): W x H x D 434 x 107 x 319 mm

+ Weight: 5.2 kg

* Ports:

o Video:

+ HDMI output x 1

+ Component output x 1

+ Composite output x 1

o Audio:

+ Coaxial digital output x 1

+ Analog output (2ch, L/R) x 1

+ Analog output (7.1ch audio out) x 1

o Control:

+ Ethernet x 1

+ USB port x 1

+ RS-232C x 1

+ Remote control (IN / OUT) x 1 / x 1

#691 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by michdys /forum/post/19795995

DBP-2012UD

Just found this on the website of Denon's Belgian distributor:

Denon DBP-2012UD

Product leaflet

Nice! I love the:

1. Glo-key remote controller

2. Detachable AC cord

Just kidding!

On a serious note, isn't this a rebadged 2011?

How 'bout the firmware upgrades for YouTube for the 2011 models, are they out yet?

Anyone?

#692 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogorf /forum/post/19804109

Nice! I love the:

1. Glo-key remote controller

2. Detachable AC cord

Just kidding!

On a serious note, isn't this a rebadged 2011?

How 'bout the firmware upgrades for YouTube for the 2011 models, are they out yet?

Anyone?

No it's not a rebadged 2011, since the 2011 was never out. In order for something to be "rebadged" it needs to be "badged" in the first place

#694 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by poe_ope /forum/post/19806791

Regarding the 2012, any clue about the video processor? Checking the linked documentation there is no info at all... (no ABT/Qdeo/....)

Ciao!

Marco

Good point Marco. Denon was rather explicit in naming the ABT-2015 in the never-to-be Denon DBP-2011 and rather overtly neglecting mention of any video processor on the DBP-2012. Going to be a very hard sell for most folks without a video processor.

#695 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by poe_ope /forum/post/19806791

Regarding the 2012, any clue about the video processor? Checking the linked documentation there is no info at all... (no ABT/Qdeo/....)

Ciao!

Marco
Quote:
Originally Posted by winston9332 /forum/post/19806985

Good point Marco. Denon was rather explicit in naming the ABT-2015 in the never-to-be Denon DBP-2011 and rather overtly neglecting mention of any video processor on the DBP-2012. Going to be a very hard sell for most folks without a video processor.

Curious about this myself, however on the Marantz UD7006 it lists "Anchor Bay Technology ABT2015 10bit I/P & scaler"

http://us.marantz.com/Products/3227.asp

It does list "Advanced High-Bit I/P Scaler" in the info link for the 2012

#696 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbueno /forum/post/19803632

Well, couldn't find them. Not listed..looks like MIA this year. Why would they skip considering the new product line & 100 year anniversary stuff??

I think Redbeemer was likely on the mark with his comments in November about the anniversary products being about exclusivity. I think perhaps those products are more about their best retailer relations having a line to present to some highest end/brand "whore" clientele moreso than presenting them at CES as cutting edge exemplars. Much of what I heard/watched in press conference Ustreams from CES at least last Wednesday seemed about corporate PR one-upsmanship. ("Loved" the way Panasonic's Sandusky didn't even mention the model numbers of their new BD players . . . which include Skype functionality!
).

Maybe just maybe Denon was focused more on everything we've seen in the past week (3D fw rollout, resolution of the power management issue, some European online presence for the 2012) than going to Vegas.

#697 ·
So, has the power management issue been fixed for everyone?

Are the only unresolved issues the pending firmware upgrades for YouTube and 3D?

#698 ·
Wow re all these asks about YouTube. If that's THAT important to you I'm curious why you're looking to Denon when many other players do that?

And if you just go back one page, you'll see at least some anecdotal evidence that the power management matter has been resolved and the 3D firmware pushed out.

#699 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyNurse /forum/post/19816238

So, has the power management issue been fixed for everyone?

Are the only unresolved issues the pending firmware upgrades for YouTube and 3D?

Today the following ChangeLog has appeared on Denon's European Download & Support page (in a .txt file):

QTE

"Changelog of DBP1611UD

MCU Ver 085

Update the Firmware for correspond to "3D".

Correction of the Firmware for a symptom that "Power on does not work"."

UNQTE

Here's the link: http://firmware.denon-online.eu/index.php

I wonder if the same support page will contain the downloadable firmware file and I can update my player via a USB drive, coz I haven't established an Etherent connection to the Net, yet. Anyone?

#700 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul.R.S /forum/post/19816277

Wow re all these asks about YouTube. If that's THAT important to you I'm curious why you're looking to Denon when many other players do that?

And if you just go back one page, you'll see at least some anecdotal evidence that the power management matter has been resolved and the 3D firmware pushed out.

Chill, dude. I just wanted to see if others have had luck with the firmware update.

If it all works then I would say they have delivered on their promised feature set.

btw: I was thinking about the oppo 93 but no way...late spring at the earliest for me after SEVERAL firmwares are pushed out.

#702 ·
I can't comment on the 3D capabilities with the new firmware but it seems to have resolved the issues with the power. I no longer have to unplug it, watch 30 sec and plug it back in to watch a movie. I wanted to try multiple configurations of the various power settings and am unable to get to to NOT power on as I had before.

Interestingly, Denon support was fantastic when I called them. I mention this because the support person called me back 3 times to see if the issue was resolved. The latest last night telling me to try the firmware update and that he was off earlier in the week or else he would have called sooner. I can't recall any other time when I called support and they followed up as well. I even mentioned to him I had a 4311 and he asked how that was working and if I had the dreaded blue-rain issue. He seemed knowledgeable and wanted to help me solve the issue.

His name was Corey and wish to thank him.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.