DBP2011 & DBP-1611 owner's thread. All questions and comments go here. - Page 33 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #961 of 1055 Old 03-21-2012, 08:22 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by batborsen View Post

Then why is it i saw an improvement in blu-ray pic quality from going from a ps3 to a denon 2500bt,and over that i see an improvement in the oppo-93 from the denon 2500bt!

What wasn't mentioned by Batpig is the differences in colourspace and clipping. The Denons have faults. The Oppo's have all passed on all colourspaces and clipping tests.

So there is some differences there also.

I have the OppoBDP-83, PS3 slim and the Denon 1611. The Oppo and PS3 is better than the Denon on picture. They pass the Denon dosen't.

Ta Dono.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #962 of 1055 Old 03-24-2012, 01:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anyone else having a problem with the Game of Thrones Blurays and this player?

Just getting around to watching this set and having a problem getting the disks to load. I got the first disk to eventually load after powering down and trying again but disk 2 just sits there at zeros and never loads

Edit: I initialized and was able to get it to load but took longer then usual for other blurays

Edit 2: it looks like this is happening on other players as well

-
If you havent listened to it yet can you really say its not better?
post #963 of 1055 Old 03-25-2012, 05:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-smith View Post

Just getting around to watching this set and having a problem getting the disks to load. I got the first disk to eventually load after powering down and trying again but disk 2 just sits there at zeros and never loads

Edit: I initialized and was able to get it to load but took longer then usual for other blurays

I watched this last week. No Issues.

Opps, I may have used my Oppo to watch it. I will try my Denon tonight

Ta Dono
post #964 of 1055 Old 03-26-2012, 08:48 AM

If a guy had ..say a Sony 370 and was into GREAT BD and dvd picture and AWESOME SACD, would the 1611 be any kind of a upgrade?

May the Force be with you.
post #965 of 1055 Old 03-26-2012, 02:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricST View Post

If a guy had ..say a Sony 370 and was into GREAT BD and dvd picture and AWESOME SACD, would the 1611 be any kind of a upgrade?

I don't know the specs of the Sony 370. However I would say the 1611 is Great Blu-ray, Average to low DVD (not the best) and awesome SACD + great build quality and runs smooth.

Choice is yours.

Ta Dono
post #966 of 1055 Old 03-26-2012, 02:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Yeah, I tried for you last night. My player locked up. The only thing that worked was the power button. The PS3 slim and the Oppo played perfect. Oppo loaded up in 20 seconds.

It is for this reason I run multiple players from different manufactures. If one doesn't work just throw it in another. My Oppo and Denon are also both multi-region.

Ta Dono
post #967 of 1055 Old 03-26-2012, 04:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked: 1593
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badas View Post

However I would say the 1611 is Great Blu-ray

despite the colorspace and clipping issues you noted from your tests?

I know that often times components will fail certain bench tests but the flaws aren't really that relevant to "real world" usage. How much of an issue do you consider the errors you found to be in practice (i.e. watching movies, not looking at test patterns)?

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #968 of 1055 Old 03-26-2012, 05:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

despite the colorspace and clipping issues you noted from your tests?

I know that often times components will fail certain bench tests but the flaws aren't really that relevant to "real world" usage. How much of an issue do you consider the errors you found to be in practice (i.e. watching movies, not looking at test patterns)?

I wondered if someone was going to pick up on that. I have been very critical of this player failing some tests on blu.

Here is the thing, you are right. The colourspace issue I can not spot in the real world. When playing a movie everything looks fantastic. I can not see a difference between my Oppo and Denon when playing a movie. It is only the colourspace test that reveals the fault.

The white clipping is another issue. When I got the player I was wondering why the Denon had a perceived higher contrast. It also looks harsher on whites. The clipping test showed me why. It is clipping at about R235/6 as previously mentioned.
My Oppo or PS3 slim does not clip. It shows to R255. The solution for my setup was to increase the contrast on my projector to clip whites from all players to R235. When you raise the contrast it didn't do much to the Denon until you got to R235. Now all the players produce a similar (same) result. I still find the whites a little, little harsh but it is the best solution.

This is why I said the Denon is a Great blu-ray player. It just doesn't make Awesome.

Ta Dono

P.S. I actually use the Denon as my workhorse. It does about 90% of my blu viewing. About 6 movies every week.
post #969 of 1055 Old 03-26-2012, 09:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badas View Post

Yeah, I tried for you last night. My player locked up. The only thing that worked was the power button. The PS3 slim and the Oppo played perfect. Oppo loaded up in 20 seconds.

It is for this reason I run multiple players from different manufactures. If one doesn't work just throw it in another. My Oppo and Denon are also both multi-region.

Ta Dono

Thanks for confirming. I didn't check for a firmware update yet but guessing they haven't released one yet. I also didn't try my PS3 as I rarely use it for Blurays

One thing I tried a few times that worked was to format the BD Utility information. Once the disks load they have played fine but getting them to play has been tricky

-
post #970 of 1055 Old 03-27-2012, 12:28 AM

Quote:

... I didn't check for a firmware update yet but guessing they haven't released one yet ...

At least in Europe, Denon has released a few firmware updates for the 1611 within the past year.
post #971 of 1055 Old 03-27-2012, 07:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drSeehas View Post

At least in Europe, Denon has released a few firmware updates for the 1611 within the past year.

I haven't checked recently since this problem I meant

I've done a couple updates on this player with the last one a few months ago I believe

-
post #972 of 1055 Old 03-27-2012, 01:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I haven't checked recently since this problem I meant

I've done a couple updates on this player with the last one a few months ago I believe

I checked for a update last night. Mine is the latest. I updated about a month ago.

Ta Dono
post #973 of 1055 Old 04-01-2012, 08:16 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Hello, I've owned a Denon BDP-1611UD since release and I have never had a problem playing MKV files via USB on it. I recently put a rip of Underworld Awakening on it and it is 4.5GB size MKV 720p. Everytime I try to load it the system locks up. But other MKV's don't do this. I know the file works because it plays on my computer. Could it be because the file is too big in size. I've played 2gb files before without any issues. this is the first time I've tried a file this big. Please let me know.. Thanks

Damien
post #974 of 1055 Old 04-02-2012, 03:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salarian View Post

Hello, I've owned a Denon BDP-1611UD since release and I have never had a problem playing MKV files via USB on it. I recently put a rip of Underworld Awakening on it and it is 4.5GB size MKV 720p. Everytime I try to load it the system locks up. But other MKV's don't do this. I know the file works because it plays on my computer. Could it be because the file is too big in size. I've played 2gb files before without any issues. this is the first time I've tried a file this big. Please let me know.. Thanks

Damien

It's an illegal copy and should not be discussed here. That movie has not been released to retail as of yet, as far as I am aware, unless it's from another country (5-8-2012 for USA) and beyond that it probably has DRM (cinavia).

Jason
post #975 of 1055 Old 04-12-2012, 02:16 AM

Hi, could anyone please tell me how to update this player, i'm not sure where to go in the menu to achieve an update, thanks.
post #976 of 1055 Old 04-12-2012, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markie100 View Post

... could anyone please tell me how to update this player, i'm not sure where to go in the menu to achieve an update, ...

General Setting -> System -> Firmware Update
post #977 of 1055 Old 04-27-2012, 02:26 PM

Firmware update today. Any way to find out what it's for?
post #978 of 1055 Old 04-27-2012, 03:00 PM
Advanced Member

I do not see a firmware update for the BDP-1611UD. Where do you find the update?
post #979 of 1055 Old 04-28-2012, 07:30 AM

When I booted up yesterday it prompted me with an update. I'm in Canada if it makes a difference.
post #980 of 1055 Old 05-16-2012, 06:15 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I often experience a horrible loud vibration noise from my BDP-1611 when playing movies. Most of the time its just during startup of disk but often it continues during movie. I end up having to eject disk reinsert and start over. Anyone else experiencing this issue?
post #981 of 1055 Old 05-17-2012, 09:04 PM
Advanced Member

Mine has been used, used and used a lot (about 5 movies a week average for 18 months). I have never heard it in a movie, a little on startup or menus but never on a movie.

Maybe you have a hardware issue?

Ta Dono
post #982 of 1055 Old 05-22-2012, 01:14 PM

Wow I thought this unit could play Mp4 i have tried ever Mp4 via Usb and all i get is no picture like i lose video signal

From jdsmoothie "Before returning your Denon as being defective ... "Reset the Microprocessor" (see Owner's Manual for instructions)
post #983 of 1055 Old 05-24-2012, 07:48 AM

Dears,

I connected DBP-1611UD to AVR3312 via HDMI (BD slot) and additionally via analog cable RCA ports, I plugged analog cable (red/white) to analog CD in receiver.

When I'm listening CD audio on BD settings (digital via HDMI) everything is ok, but when I'm switching to "CD" on receiver (CD is transmitted via analog), sounds starts to be interrupted and it looks like CD loose some parts of track. When I disconnect physically HDMI cable (either on BD player or receiver side) during this wrong behavior - sound comes to back to normal playing. It very strange - Denon added Pure Audio option but it seems that even normal analog does not work

I double check the issue with Denon dealer and it seems that this issue refers to ALL DBP-1611UD and also DBP-2012UD models - the test was made in the shop.

Does anybody know the problem? Do you know how to solve it? What is the reason of that?

BR
Bartosz
post #984 of 1055 Old 05-28-2012, 07:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunnymas View Post

Dears,

I connected DBP-1611UD to AVR3312 via HDMI (BD slot) and additionally via analog cable RCA ports, I plugged analog cable (red/white) to analog CD in receiver.

When I'm listening CD audio on BD settings (digital via HDMI) everything is ok, but when I'm switching to "CD" on receiver (CD is transmitted via analog), sounds starts to be interrupted and it looks like CD loose some parts of track. When I disconnect physically HDMI cable (either on BD player or receiver side) during this wrong behavior - sound comes to back to normal playing. It very strange - Denon added Pure Audio option but it seems that even normal analog does not work

I double check the issue with Denon dealer and it seems that this issue refers to ALL DBP-1611UD and also DBP-2012UD models - the test was made in the shop.

Does anybody know the problem? Do you know how to solve it? What is the reason of that?

BR
Bartosz

I don't think the problem is on all 1611's. Mine is setup the same way. HDMI into a Denon AVR3808. Analog into the 3808. Mine are on two different inputs tho. HDMI into HDMI 1. Analog into CD. No issues here at all. Works well.

Edit:
Just thought about your issue. Go into settings on your AVR and make sure all HDMI or Digital setting are turned of on the CD input. The CD input could be decoding HDMI and analog at the same time. When you pulled the cable and everything went okay you stopped the double decoding. I turned off the digital decoding on the CD input when I set my AVR up. The AVR's usually default on Digital.

Ta Dono
post #985 of 1055 Old 06-08-2012, 05:29 AM

Hi guys,

forgive my easy question, but I cannot find the answer - how to check installed firmware version?

My DBP-1611UD suffers from infrequent moves of left/right picture in 3D mode, which can be annoying. It's described in last change-log as fixed, so I assuming mine firmware must be older. Unfortunately when I try to update it, i get an info, that there's no newer firmware available eek.gif
So I'm confused. How else can I upgrade firmware if network update seems to be malfunctioning? Where can I download firmware file to update it via USB (is it possible?)

Thanks in advance.
post #986 of 1055 Old 07-06-2012, 01:24 PM
Advanced Member

I don't normally hv my player connected to the Internet bc without Pandora or Vudu there isn't a reason to but I never updated the latest firmware so I connected it today hoping I would be surprised and Pandora and Vudu would hv been added but unfortunately not.

Anyone know if this player will ever be getting Pandora or Vudu? It's not a huge deal as I'll be getting a new TV soon which will hv both but I still can't believe this player doesn't at least hv Pandora which would be nice to hv in the mean time

-
post #987 of 1055 Old 07-12-2012, 11:07 PM

Hi All.

I have DBP-1611 and AVR-3312. Can this combination play 96kHz 5.1 MLP? I'm trying with King Crimson's Islands DVD-A - disc spec says it has 96kHz 5.1 MLP, but after selecting MLP 5.1 audio AVR's input information says:

Surround Mode MULTI CH IN
Input Signal PCM
Fs 48kHz
Format 3/2/.1

Saddly only 48kHz... When I select DTS sound:

Surround Mode DTS 96/24
Input Signal DTS 96/24
Fs 96kHz
Format 3/2/.1

And MLP 2.0:

Surround Mode MULTI CH STEREO
Input Signal PCM
Fs 96kHz
Format 2/0/.0

What am I doing wrong? Maybe the disc spec is wrong?

Maybe-relevant config info:
- hdmi connection,
- "Down Sampling" in DBP set to 192kHz
post #988 of 1055 Old 07-25-2012, 03:36 PM

Liked: 17
Can you operate this BD player using the Denon App on the Ipad?
post #989 of 1055 Old 10-09-2012, 04:15 AM

─░nstalled the latest firmware and youtube going home ..find videos, but will not open .mad.gif
post #990 of 1055 Old 11-26-2012, 11:42 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Hi just wondering if anyone would be able to help. I am having problems with my 1611. I recently just moved. About a week ago. Everything on the player was working just fine. However, now the remote control will not work. I have a harmony 770 remote. Tried updating the remote. Tried using the original remote and it is not working either. Not sure if i can do a factory restart to fix this, or if something got messed up. Any help please.

LG 55LK520
Denon 3311
Denon bdp 1611
KEF Q200c
KEF Q300s L/R
Bic Pl200

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Denon Dbp 1611ud Universal Blu Ray Dvd Cd Player Black , Blu Ray Players
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page