DBP2011 & DBP-1611 owner's thread. All questions and comments go here. - Page 6 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #151 of 1055 Old 06-10-2010, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Send a message via Skype™ to mariob33
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanwescoat View Post

Um...HD DVDs are commercially recorded media. So are VCDs, and despite the fact that HD DVDs bit the dust rather fast, VCDs continue to have a small but active market. I'm not sure why you seem to think that they were not commercially recorded.

What I find most strange is that on Denon's last consumer-level universal player, the DVD-1920, VCDs were supported. Possibly they are with the new ones, but it's not on the list. I'm looking at upgrading to the 1611 or 2011 because my 1920 is getting a little wonky. I only own a handful of VCDs, but it was nice before HD DVD and Blu-ray hit to have a player that actually could play every 5" shiny disk other than game, ROM, and ancient CDV disks. All I want is the same functionality of the DVD-1920 plus the new formats (Blu-ray and HD DVD).

Also, I think this player does support streaming. At least it supports NetFlix and some other system with an Internet connection. Perhaps you mean something else by streaming, or possibly you were just discussing the idea of how the word "universal" is being twisted around by the industry these days. I always despise it when companies get hold of a perfectly clear word and start to twist its meaning. Imagine you bought a power adapter that was advertised as "universal." It will work in "pretty much" any power outlet...except...Japan, the Philippines, and the United States. In that case, it's not universal, though it still has a wide variety of applications.

Now in my honest opinion, it's irresponsible to call these things universal. We can easily leave out the games and ROM with the understanding that we are buying a universal audio and video player and not a game platform or a computer. Likewise, we can exclude the CDV in relation to the fact that we are talking about modern optical technology and the CDV relied on a much older and most likely utterly incompatible optical technology (i.e., the laserdisc). What we're left with is that HD DVD and VCD - both of which are formats based directly upon modern optical technology - do not appear to be supported in a supposedly universal player. Of course, what I have to say isn't going to stop any company from touting its products as universal; I just think a better and more accurate term could be found. Something like "multi-format" Blu-ray player would sound kind of okay, though there's probably a label better than that.

And whether or not it supports VCD or HD DVD, I'm still gonna buy one when they hit the market here. I love my Denon products. I adore them, and I suppose if I really need to play a VCD and my DVD-1920 breaks, I'll just get it serviced. I may even try to pick up a few used or broken ones for parts.

And I'm really still wondering if anyone has any idea what kind of quality these players will have with SACD DSD signals converted to HDMI signals.

Not to mix words but I think what the OP meant was "currently", as in production now, by the major studios. I am not aware of any new releases being available on HD DVD nor of any company still re-producing any titles once inventory levels drop. To be honest not even sure if the technology or licensing for the tech is still being actively shopped? How would Denon get support for the format?

In search of video bliss...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 1055 Old 06-10-2010, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariob33 View Post

Not to mix words but I think what the OP meant was "currently", as in production now, by the major studios. I am not aware of any new releases being available on HD DVD nor of any company still re-producing any titles once inventory levels drop. To be honest not even sure if the technology or licensing for the tech is still being actively shopped? How would Denon get support for the format?

mariob33,

Thank you! He selectively read my post.

Respectfully,
Willie

Pioneer Elite PRO-151FD

Zektor MAS7.1

Classé CA-2200/CA-5200

Oppo BDP-105, Denon DVD-5910CI, Cambridge 752BD, Cambridge 640C V2

Paradigm Signature S8, Paradigm Signature ADP1

Paradigm Signature ADP3, Paradigm Signature C5

REL R-505 Sub (2)

Oppo BDP-93, BDP-103D, Pioneer BDP-320

Sony BDP-S790

post #153 of 1055 Old 06-10-2010, 02:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Um...HD DVDs are commercially recorded media. So are VCDs, and despite the fact that HD DVDs bit the dust rather fast, VCDs continue to have a small but active market. I'm not sure why you seem to think that they were not commercially recorded.

HD DVDs were commercially recorded media, it is a dead format now.

VCD is still alive in HK, China and southeastern Asian countries. But in all three major markets: North America, Europe and Japan, VCD is non-existent, expecting Denon to put VCD support on their new players doesn't really make sense to me.

BD-A1010/CD-S1000/PF60
HTR-6290/A-S1000/KDL46V5100
NS-555/SOAVO-900C/NS-125F

BD - 242
HD - 7
post #154 of 1055 Old 06-10-2010, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuenMuner View Post

HD DVDs were commercially recorded media, it is a dead format now.

VCD is still alive in HK, China and southeastern Asian countries. But in all three major markets: North America, Europe and Japan, VCD is non-existent, expecting Denon to put VCD support on their new players doesn't really make sense to me.

Denon markets globally including in HK, China and east Asian countries where VCDs are still in production. If consumers tolerate the use of "universal" to indicate that the player only plays disks that are still in production, then it seems likely that by next year "universal" players could also omit DVD Audio as a format since the medium seems to be failing commercially (largely I think due to the fact that most standard players do not support the format). DVD Audio disks might be out of production by next year. I'm not sure if HD CDs are still in production, but support for the extra data bits could likewise be omitted on those grounds if they are no longer in production.

This could then force audio enthusiasts either to repurchase new media in the new formats or to illegally (in some countries) circumvent copy protection, especially for those releases that do not make it to the new media.

The issue of course could be moot as it is still possible that the new players do support VCD and Denon simply omitted it from the list. The issue of licensing HD DVD technology is an important one and for such a short-lived medium, omitting it isn't particularly important. Once again, however, I will point out that the DVD-1920 was a truly universal player for the technology if its time.

Denon will be making an eminently useful player with the new models. Of that I have no doubt. I am simply uncomfortable as a consumer to allow such a perfectly obvious term as "universal" to be abused in this manner. We shouldn't allow the manufacturers to define the meanings of words, at least not without saying something about it. Rather, the meanings of words should determine which words a manufacturer should and shouldn't use in marketing a product.
post #155 of 1055 Old 06-10-2010, 05:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Denon markets globally including in HK, China and east Asian countries where VCDs are still in production. If consumers tolerate the use of "universal" to indicate that the player only plays disks that are still in production, then it seems likely that by next year "universal" players could also omit DVD Audio as a format since the medium seems to be failing commercially (largely I think due to the fact that most standard players do not support the format). DVD Audio disks might be out of production by next year. I'm not sure if HD CDs are still in production, but support for the extra data bits could likewise be omitted on those grounds if they are no longer in production.

This could then force audio enthusiasts either to repurchase new media in the new formats or to illegally (in some countries) circumvent copy protection, especially for those releases that do not make it to the new media.

The issue of course could be moot as it is still possible that the new players do support VCD and Denon simply omitted it from the list. The issue of licensing HD DVD technology is an important one and for such a short-lived medium, omitting it isn't particularly important. Once again, however, I will point out that the DVD-1920 was a truly universal player for the technology if its time.

Denon will be making an eminently useful player with the new models. Of that I have no doubt. I am simply uncomfortable as a consumer to allow such a perfectly obvious term as "universal" to be abused in this manner. We shouldn't allow the manufacturers to define the meanings of words, at least not without saying something about it. Rather, the meanings of words should determine which words a manufacturer should and shouldn't use in marketing a product.

alanwescoat,

I own 2 Oppo "universal" players and I occasionally frequent the threads for the Denon DVD-A1UDCI and Denon DBP-4010UDCI both "universal" players.

If you are that uncomfortable as a consumer of the use of the word "universal" then you need to consider other products that don't make you feel uncomfortable.

You are the 1st forum member that I can recall on any of these forums that is uncomfortable with the use of the word universal as it pertains to today's players.

All this because today's universal players may not support a video format that you have in your collection.

A phone call or email to Denon may make you feel better.

Respectfully,
Willie

Pioneer Elite PRO-151FD

Zektor MAS7.1

Classé CA-2200/CA-5200

REL R-505 Sub (2)

Sony BDP-S790

post #156 of 1055 Old 06-10-2010, 06:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:

Denon markets globally including in HK, China and east Asian countries where VCDs are still in production.

Forcing consumers to repurchase new media for existing standards is nothing new. The countries you list above have millions of pirates that wouldn't buy anything anyway. If you wish to question why Denon is not supporting those formats for those respective market regions, then contacting Denon is not hard to do.

Now that we have stretched out this off topic, can we get back to discussion pertinent to Denon DBP-2011UICI & DBP-1611UI.

Oppo Beta Group
post #157 of 1055 Old 06-10-2010, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerwi View Post

alanwescoat,

A phone call or email to Denon may make you feel better.

Respectfully,
Willie

That would be nice. I cannot find an email address on Denon's website. If someone would so oblige by providing such an email, I would be most grateful. Actually, then I could address my actual question about SACD transfer to HDMI in the right direction. Denon quite mysteriously has omitted an email address from its website. At least, I haven't been able to find one.

Oppo players are not available here. Denon is. While I love my matching Denon set, I wouldn't be above checking out the competition. Oppo, however, does not compete in the east Asian market. Thus, some of you may think a comparison is reasonable in that VCDs bit the dust in the west just about as fast as HD DVD (which never even made it over here). Oppo is actually competing in a different market where "universal" could be made relative to the market itself. Denon has no such excuse because its market is global.

It's not so much a matter of what I have in my collection as it is manipulating semantics to fit the day (I only own four VCDs). Denon's previous consumer-level universal player supported VCD. The new ones apparently don't. That's an unwarranted shift in semantics. Just because Oppo may or may not be abusing the term doesn't mean Denon should follow suit.

Incidentally, I just checked the spec sheet on the DVD-1920, and it does not mention VCD at all even though the player plays them perfectly. Thus, this all might be a moot discussion if VCD is supported by the new players. A nice email to Denon should clear that up. If only I had an email address for them...
post #158 of 1055 Old 06-10-2010, 06:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That would be nice. I cannot find an email address on Denon's website. If someone would so oblige by providing such an email, I would be most grateful. Actually, then I could address my actual question about SACD transfer to HDMI in the right direction. Denon quite mysteriously has omitted an email address from its website. At least, I haven't been able to find one.

Oppo players are not available here. Denon is. While I love my matching Denon set, I wouldn't be above checking out the competition. Oppo, however, does not compete in the east Asian market. Thus, some of you may think a comparison is reasonable in that VCDs bit the dust in the west just about as fast as HD DVD (which never even made it over here). Oppo is actually competing in a different market where "universal" could be made relative to the market itself. Denon has no such excuse because its market is global.

It's not so much a matter of what I have in my collection as it is manipulating semantics to fit the day (I only own four VCDs). Denon's previous consumer-level universal player supported VCD. The new ones apparently don't. That's an unwarranted shift in semantics. Just because Oppo may or may not be abusing the term doesn't mean Denon should follow suit.

Incidentally, I just checked the spec sheet on the DVD-1920, and it does not mention VCD at all even though the player plays them perfectly. Thus, this all might be a moot discussion if VCD is supported by the new players. A nice email to Denon should clear that up. If only I had an email address for them...

They do list some email such as contactservice@denonnj.com but most of the general inquiries are web chat or forms based.

You have to look at specific Denon (country) and then navigate to contact us URL.

Oppo Beta Group
post #159 of 1055 Old 06-10-2010, 08:57 PM
Advanced Member

Well alan, the Chinese version of Oppo BDP-83 does support VCD and region-free DVD playback out of the box. If VCD playback is so important to you on an universal player, then you should look for a site that would ship the Oppo to your country.(and forget about the Denon, they will not add VCD support ever again on their new players)

BD-A1010/CD-S1000/PF60
HTR-6290/A-S1000/KDL46V5100
NS-555/SOAVO-900C/NS-125F

BD - 242
HD - 7
post #160 of 1055 Old 06-10-2010, 09:11 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Is there anyone in this group who wants to get the DBP2011? So far I have seen more interest in the lower end version or the DBP1611. It seems to be that technology is moving so quickly that the low end model 2 years from now will likely be better than the high end version now so I am better off spending less and getting the lower end players more often. Is this a crazy way to look at it?
post #161 of 1055 Old 06-10-2010, 11:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenonLover View Post

Is there anyone in this group who wants to get the DBP2011? So far I have seen more interest in the lower end version or the DBP1611. It seems to be that technology is moving so quickly that the low end model 2 years from now will likely be better than the high end version now so I am better off spending less and getting the lower end players more often. Is this a crazy way to look at it?

Depends on what you need. Some feel their HDTV or AVR offers adequate video processing, so they just need the $399 DBP-1611UD, then others needs the ABT video processing, and/or the multi channel analog outputs of the $799 DBP-2011UDCI. When you add both are universal players, support 3D by FW update, DLNA compliant, netflix + youtube, you can see why either has generated a bit of interest from the AVS crowd. But like all BD player vendors they have competition along with newer models, and what you buy today, will not be as good a deal as something in the future. That's just the way it works out.

Oppo Beta Group
post #162 of 1055 Old 06-11-2010, 03:26 AM

Quote:

....I am better off spending less and getting the lower end players more often. Is this a crazy way to look at it?

No, that's an excellent way to look at it. As JohnAV has pointed out, it does depend on what you need. I think most people are scrutinizing the 1611 because of the very nice price. I'm still trying to determine which one is the best for me, but with a small display and a Denon AVR-1610, the 1611 is looking like a very nice deal.

If you have a very large display and an older receiver, especially one without HDMI, then you would most likely be in the market for the 2011. If the 1611 meets your needs, then you can bank the hundreds you save and buy a newer model down the line as more features become available. That's just sound thinking.

There are other issues, however. Audiophile and videophile equipment gets increasingly more expensive for diminishing returns. Depending on your receiver and display, you are likely to get slightly better sound and image for twice the money from the 2011. There's nothing wrong with going that route if you have the money to drop. However, as you point out it is very likely that by the time the Denon warranty expires there will be a better player on the market at the low end.

Considering how much value I have already got out of my DVD-1920, I strongly expect that the 1611 will provide very satisfactory quality for the money.

But I'm still wondering about the conversion of SACD DSD to HDMI in both models.
post #163 of 1055 Old 06-11-2010, 07:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

No, that's an excellent way to look at it. As JohnAV has pointed out, it does depend on what you need. I think most people are scrutinizing the 1611 because of the very nice price. I'm still trying to determine which one is the best for me, but with a small display and a Denon AVR-1610, the 1611 is looking like a very nice deal.

If you have a very large display and an older receiver, especially one without HDMI, then you would most likely be in the market for the 2011. If the 1611 meets your needs, then you can bank the hundreds you save and buy a newer model down the line as more features become available. That's just sound thinking.

There are other issues, however. Audiophile and videophile equipment gets increasingly more expensive for diminishing returns. Depending on your receiver and display, you are likely to get slightly better sound and image for twice the money from the 2011. There's nothing wrong with going that route if you have the money to drop. However, as you point out it is very likely that by the time the Denon warranty expires there will be a better player on the market at the low end.

Considering how much value I have already got out of my DVD-1920, I strongly expect that the 1611 will provide very satisfactory quality for the money.

But I'm still wondering about the conversion of SACD DSD to HDMI in both models.

Thanks you. It all comes down to how DVD-A and SACD sound since I love my music. I am really looking forward to reading the first review when it becomes available.
post #164 of 1055 Old 06-11-2010, 07:59 AM

Well, not to beat a dead horse or anything, but I just took a close look at the packaging of my VCDs to discover that they are clearly labeled to be fully compatible with all VCD, CD-ROM, and DVD systems. Thus, de facto, the VCDs sold here in Korea will be supported by the new Denon players. Cool.
post #165 of 1055 Old 06-11-2010, 02:09 PM
Advanced Member

Good--hopefully that will be the end of that OT discussion.

Quote:

Is there anyone in this group who wants to get the DBP2011?

Yup. Analog outs and the ABT processing.
post #166 of 1055 Old 06-11-2010, 03:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Is there anyone in this group who wants to get the DBP2011?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul.R.S View Post

Good--hopefully that will be the end of that OT discussion.

Yup. Analog outs and the ABT processing.

Paul,

That is reason enough. I am so intrigued to hear Denon's implementation of those Burr Brown 32-bit DACs. Also, hopefully as we get closer to launch there will be more information on the performance of the player. I hope some significant strides have been made on this front.

Respectfully,
Willie

Pioneer Elite PRO-151FD

Zektor MAS7.1

Classé CA-2200/CA-5200

REL R-505 Sub (2)

Sony BDP-S790

post #167 of 1055 Old 06-11-2010, 05:32 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:

I really want to get one of the DBP-2011, big plus over last years DBP-2010 is the onboard storage, ABT-2015 video processor and streaming Netflix. And it will go well with my Denon receiver

Denon AVR-X4000, Panasonic TCP-55VT50, OPPO BDP-103, DirecTV HR44-700, Apple TV
Polk Audio RTi-A9, RTi-A7, RTi-A3, CSi-A6 & DSW PRO 660
post #168 of 1055 Old 06-11-2010, 05:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthawk68 View Post

I really want to get one of the DBP-2011, big plus over last years DBP-2010 is the onboard storage, ABT-2015 video processor and streaming Netflix. And it will go well with my Denon receiver

I'm actually contemplating one of these as a replacement for my oppo...in particular for the netflix implementation..this will allow me to reduce number of devices in my current setup and keep my setup all denon.

post #169 of 1055 Old 06-11-2010, 06:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthawk68 View Post

Nighthawk68,

I agree a major step up from last year's DBP-2010. This Denon offering seems to have a lot going for it, but I would like to see it in action and read some owners opinions and professional reviews before I drop 8 large on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariob33 View Post

I'm actually contemplating one of these as a replacement for my oppo...in particular for the netflix implementation..this will allow me to reduce number of devices in my current setup and keep my setup all denon.

mariob33,

Make sure your getting everything the Oppo is offering and then some. I've been thinking about one if it performs as well as the BDP-83. I would like to move my BDP-83SE into a dedicated analog setup, but I don't plan on going backwards in performance and I don't require netflix. Now if it supported Vudu, then that could be a feather in its cap.

Also, I don't need for it to match my Marantz.

Respectfully,
Willie

Pioneer Elite PRO-151FD

Zektor MAS7.1

Classé CA-2200/CA-5200

REL R-505 Sub (2)

Sony BDP-S790

post #170 of 1055 Old 06-11-2010, 06:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Willie,

The oppo would not be moved until I had the opportunity to really work this thing out and validate the premium. The oppo presents way to much value/performance to be replaced without a suitable heir. My music/dvd collection would never forgive me.

I do agree on the vudu perspective. I am using a samsung 6500 now for exactly that and have to say it blows the socks off netflix.

By the way I'm really enjoying the new iPhone ava app. Avs from anywhere..wow
Mario

post #171 of 1055 Old 06-11-2010, 09:00 PM

I'd like to know what you Denon experts think based on what we know so far about the audio capabilities of these two players. Whichever player I buy will be hooked into an AVR-1910 with a generic 24/192 DAC supported by Klipsch B-3, Sub-12, and Quintet speakers.

Options for SACD and DVD Audio:

1. The 1611 through HDMI.

2. The 2011 through HDMI.

3. The 2011 Through analog.

Would you expect that there will be a significant or noticeable difference in sound quality among these three options? Would I need to use the analog outs to get that Burr-Brown 32/192 DAC to really shine?

I have no use for the ABT video processing in the 2011, but significantly better audio could justify paying double for it. I am hoping, however, that the analog cabling won't be needed as I already have WAY too many cables running through my system.
post #172 of 1055 Old 06-11-2010, 09:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I'd like to know what you Denon experts think based on what we know so far about the audio capabilities of these two players. Whichever player I buy will be hooked into an AVR-1910 with a generic 24/192 DAC supported by Klipsch B-3, Sub-12, and Quintet speakers.

Would you expect that there will be a significant or noticeable difference in sound quality among these three options? Would I need to use the analog outs to get that Burr-Brown 32/192 DAC to really shine?

I have no use for the ABT video processing in the 2011, but significantly better audio could justify paying double for it. I am hoping, however, that the analog cabling won't be needed as I already have WAY too many cables running through my system.

We all want to know these questions and are waiting to see what the reviews say. You concerns and requirements meet mine almost exactly. Sound first and everything else is a distant second.
post #173 of 1055 Old 06-11-2010, 10:55 PM

Does anyone have good contact with denon Jeff? I had his email, but have lost it. I think Jeff Talmage would know by now if they plan to have subtitle shift in the bdp-2011 if it has release date august
post #174 of 1055 Old 06-12-2010, 06:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

We all want to know these questions and are waiting to see what the reviews say. You concerns and requirements meet mine almost exactly. Sound first and everything else is a distant second.

alanwescoat,

We are not going to know the answer to these questions until you or DenonLover take the plunge for us and give us your thoughts. There are definitely a few unanswered questions (DSD, overall performance, etc.) Hopefully, the wait is not much longer.

Respectfully,
Willie

Pioneer Elite PRO-151FD

Zektor MAS7.1

Classé CA-2200/CA-5200

REL R-505 Sub (2)

Sony BDP-S790

post #175 of 1055 Old 06-12-2010, 08:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 30
what's the over/under date on when the prices on the current denon players drop to half?
post #176 of 1055 Old 06-12-2010, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by winston9332 View Post

what's the over/under date on when the prices on the current denon players drop to half?

winston9332,

I'm not familiar with either the DBP-2010CI or DBP-1610, but what would be a compelling reason to buy either of these players at 1/2 of their respective MSRPs which would bring the price to approximately $350.00 and $250.00, respectively. The Sony BDP-S1000ES can be had for $200.00 while the Pioneer BDP-320 and Elite BDP-23FD can be had for $165.00 and $260.00, respectively.

Respectfully,
Willie

Pioneer Elite PRO-151FD

Zektor MAS7.1

Classé CA-2200/CA-5200

REL R-505 Sub (2)

Sony BDP-S790

post #177 of 1055 Old 06-12-2010, 09:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

winston9332,

I'm not familiar with either the DBP-2010CI or DBP-1610, but what would be a compelling reason to buy either of these players at 1/2 of their respective MSRPs which would bring the price to approximately $350.00 and $250.00, respectively. The Sony BDP-S1000ES can be had for $200.00 while the Pioneer BDP-320 and Elite BDP-23FD can be had for $165.00 and $260.00, respectively.

Respectfully,
Willie

It all comes down to features. Having a solid BD player that has DVD-A and SACD with the ability to watch netflix movies with an software upgrade to 3D down the road make this a winner for me personally. The quality of the DACs or sound from both players will determine which one I get of the two Denon players. I was going to buy the Oppo but Denon priced these units properly which is what they needed to do so I did not go to the competition. Plus it would have been a pain to change my screen name to OppoLover
post #178 of 1055 Old 06-13-2010, 01:58 AM

Quote:

alanwescoat,

We are not going to know the answer to these questions until you or DenonLover take the plunge for us and give us your thoughts. There are definitely a few unanswered questions (DSD, overall performance, etc.) Hopefully, the wait is not much longer.

Respectfully,
Willie

Unfortunately, here in Korea Denon products tend to arrive several months later than they do in the west. I expect that I might have to wait as long as six months before the 2011 is available here. Accordingly, I won't be the one taking the plunge to tell you all about how great either of these units are. Fortunately for me, by the time I actually will be able to buy one here, I will be well informed as to which one is the better choice for me to buy. This is pretty important to me because once shipping, import duty, and VAT have been added to the price, street price here tends to be higher than the MSRP.

I have messaged Denon about most of the questions I and others have had on this forum and am awaiting a response. Sorry I forgot to ask about subtitle shift.

I am a little confused by the use of the word "memory" in relation to the 1GB internal memory described as a feature of these players. It has been said that the "memory" is expandable through USB. This sounds more like storage to me rather than memory. Is the memory RAM or storage? Does the term "memory" in home-audio jargon indicate something different from what it means in computer jargon, or is this just a typical conflation of terms?

For those of you who seem to have been put off by the discussion of 'universal' especially in relation to HD DVD should know that HD DVD has been resurrected in the form of China Blue (CBHD) with disks priced at less than half of their Blu-ray counterparts. The Format War has already resumed in China, and if China starts exporting CBHD, we could see the Format War go global again. Hence, in relation to these new players, an essential feature is what future compatibility will be possible through firmware upgrades. The transports for Blu-ray, HD DVD, and CBHD appear to be identical with it being a matter of which codecs are supported that determines whether the transport can be used to read a particular disk. Let's hope that it is possible for Denon to provide support for other formats that use the same transport through firmware upgrades.

Incidentally, I am also a little confused about why some people on this forum seem to think that discussion of which 5" shiny disks the 'universal' 1611 and 2011 will support or potentially can support is off topic. To my way of thinking, that's a discussion of the features of the players.
post #179 of 1055 Old 06-13-2010, 02:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I am a little confused by the use of the word "memory" in relation to the 1GB internal memory described as a feature of these players. It has been said that the "memory" is expandable through USB. This sounds more like storage to me rather than memory. Is the memory RAM or storage? Does the term "memory" in home-audio jargon indicate something different from what it means in computer jargon, or is this just a typical conflation of terms?

The 1GB memory is used for BD-Live storage mainly, so you can download from the internet and play a featurette or preview for example. As you play these your memory will decrement down, so periodically you need to purge or clear this memory. Rather then utilize the internal I GB memory you can also make use of a larger capacity external thumb drive connected to the USB port as a option.

Oppo Beta Group
post #180 of 1055 Old 06-13-2010, 02:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

For those of you who seem to have been put off by the discussion of 'universal' especially in relation to HD DVD should know that HD DVD has been resurrected in the form of China Blue (CBHD) with disks priced at less than half of their Blu-ray counterparts. The Format War has already resumed in China, and if China starts exporting CBHD, we could see the Format War go global again. Hence, in relation to these new players, an essential feature is what future compatibility will be possible through firmware upgrades. The transports for Blu-ray, HD DVD, and CBHD appear to be identical with it being a matter of which codecs are supported that determines whether the transport can be used to read a particular disk. Let's hope that it is possible for Denon to provide support for other formats that use the same transport through firmware upgrades.

Incidentally, I am also a little confused about why some people on this forum seem to think that discussion of which 5" shiny disks the 'universal' 1611 and 2011 will support or potentially can support is off topic. To my way of thinking, that's a discussion of the features of the players.

Wish to pursue this line of discussion please utilize the AVS Official China CBHD player Master Thread otherwise this thread is a Blu ray players topic not HD-DVD/CBHD topic.

Oppo Beta Group
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Denon Dbp 1611ud Universal Blu Ray Dvd Cd Player Black , Blu Ray Players
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page