Official Toshiba BDX2500/BDX2700/BDX3000 Owners Thread! - Page 12 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #331 of 337 Old 11-20-2012, 10:05 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anybody else have trouble playing Avatar Collector's Extended Edition on their BDX2500? It worked for the first hour or so, but from then on it got pixelated and kicked back to the beginning of the disc. I tried switching out the Blu Ray copy, but the same issue at the same spot appeared, so I'm assuming Toshiba needs to release a new firmware update.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #332 of 337 Old 07-07-2013, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I just got a firmware update notice for my BDX2200 popping up on the screen yesterday. That's pretty surprising since there hasn't been a update since 2011. Toshiba's official support site still shows the old 2011 firmware as the current version, and I can't find any other mention of it.

Has a firmware update just appeared for other Toshiba models? Does anyone have any idea what the update is for?

I don't plan to rush into updating firmware unless I know what it's about, but these updates seem to inevitably slip in sooner or later since the online check can't be entirely disabled.
post #333 of 337 Old 07-08-2013, 01:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by amesdp View Post

I just got a firmware update notice for my BDX2200 popping up on the screen yesterday. That's pretty surprising since there hasn't been a update since 2011. Toshiba's official support site still shows the old 2011 firmware as the current version, and I can't find any other mention of it.

Has a firmware update just appeared for other Toshiba models? Does anyone have any idea what the update is for?

I don't plan to rush into updating firmware unless I know what it's about, but these updates seem to inevitably slip in sooner or later since the online check can't be entirely disabled.

I do not believe the player being connected to the internet to tell you of available firmware updates will ever actually install anything on its own, unless YOU (or someone) tell it to go ahead and download and install.

A long-time audio/video addict!
post #334 of 337 Old 07-08-2013, 08:40 PM
AVS Special Member

The problem is that when a "Firmware update available" message pops up every time you turn the player on, sooner or later there's going to be an accident. Either you'll hit a button an instant before you see the message, or your remote will queue up a couple of commands that happen to trigger the update when it pops up in the middle, or somebody else will be using it who doesn't know not to accept the firmware update. Often I'm not sure how it happened, I just notice that the firmware update has somehow been installed a few weeks after it first appeared.
post #335 of 337 Old 07-08-2013, 10:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by amesdp View Post

The problem is that when a "Firmware update available" message pops up every time you turn the player on, sooner or later there's going to be an accident. Either you'll hit a button an instant before you see the message, or your remote will queue up a couple of commands that happen to trigger the update when it pops up in the middle, or somebody else will be using it who doesn't know not to accept the firmware update. Often I'm not sure how it happened, I just notice that the firmware update has somehow been installed a few weeks after it first appeared.

My Sony players can be set to not look for a firmware update, but still be connected for BD-Live purposes. Maybe your Toshiba has a similar setting?

A long-time audio/video addict!
post #336 of 337 Old 08-10-2013, 07:28 AM
AVS Special Member

The new firmware update has appeared on the Toshiba U.S. support site finally, dated July 31. Unfortunately Toshiba does not post any information about what's in their updates, and I couldn't find any comments inside the .iso file.

I found some mention in the Toshiba support forums that other people have installed this recent update and apparently it updated the Netflix client. Unfortunately that caused some new issues with Netflix, so you might want to think twice before installing the update if you're a Netflix user.
post #337 of 337 Old 09-28-2013, 07:24 AM
AVS Special Member

I was surprised to notice recently that my Toshiba Blu-Ray player has an early form of Google Chromecast in the Youtube player, I guess because I usually use Youtube on my Samsung, and I never tried the Search function on the Toshiba.

When you go to the Search function in the Youtube player, it offers to pair your Toshiba client with a remote web browser on another device, like a tablet or smartphone. It shows you a numeric ID code on the TV, and you go to youtube.com/pair and enter the code to connect the Toshiba to Youtube in your web browser. The Toshiba then appears as a selectable video destination (by default "MyTV") in the Youtube settings. Then you can search for videos in your web browser and play them on the TV. The only control allowed is Pause and Play, and there's a second or two of lag, but it works. Sort of like Chromecast, but for Youtube only.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Toshiba , Toshiba Bdx2500 Blu Ray Disc Player Black , Toshiba Bdx2700 Blu Ray Disc Player Black , Toshiba Bdx3000 3d Ready Wi Fi Blu Ray Disc Player
Gear in this thread - Bdx2700 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page