post #91 of 170 Old 01-04-2011, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by simusphere View Post

I'm a bit confused since I'm reading all these reviews on Amazon about the BD-C6800 that state that the netflix interface is limited to just your instant que. As quoted above it seems that may not be the case but I'm just trying to make sure.

Here are some of the other points that some reviews mentioned that concern me about this player:

It doesn't:
1. Remember where the disc left off so that when you come back, it starts playing it from that spot. It always starts from the beginning and I find that hugely annoying especially if I've only been away for a short while.
2. There is a problem with the netflix app how do u know witch movies are high Def and witch aren't
3. The user's guide lists all the great features of the player but in small print says, "Depending on the disc, it may not ." Also frustrating.
4. The netflix is the biggest disappointment on the player. While I can work with the limited interface, the functionality is still marginal. As someone else mentioned, the player only offers access to the 'instant que', you can't add movies or shows directly from the Blu-Ray player itself.
5. DVD load time is slow if you play a lot of Blu Rays.
6. Firmware still has some glitches.

I'm looking for a BD player with a great Netflix interface, Excellent picture quality and upscaling of the dvd's. I currently have a panasonic G25 54" Plasma display that has Netflix already built in but I can't search for all the available movies and add to the instant cue without going to the desktop PC to do so. Otherwise Netflix works great right from the Panny.

The C6800 so far seems to be the best bang for the buck that I can find right now I'm just looking for some clarification of some of the points the reviewers on Amazon made.

1. True, stopped a movie (not paused) and came back 30 minutes later and it started from the beginning, was a bit pissed.
5. Not instant but not awful either
6. Have not seen any since last weeks update.
Can not comment on other items since I don't use them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 170 Old 01-04-2011, 09:19 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by airscapes View Post

1. True, stopped a movie (not paused) and came back 30 minutes later and it started from the beginning, was a bit pissed.
5. Not instant but not awful either
6. Have not seen any since last weeks update.
Can not comment on other items since I don't use them.

Does that mean that if you pause it, it will resume from where you left off? If so, thats fine with me. I rarely pause much anyway.

The big one for me is picture quality for both dvd's and blueray's. Also the Netflix has to be more full featured than the one on my TV.

I really don't care about the 3D part since I don't like watching movies in 3D anyway.
post #93 of 170 Old 01-04-2011, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simusphere View Post

Does that mean that if you pause it, it will resume from where you left off? If so, thats fine with me. I rarely pause much anyway.

The big one for me is picture quality for both dvd's and blueray's. Also the Netflix has to be more full featured than the one on my TV.

I really don't care about the 3D part since I don't like watching movies in 3D anyway.

Correct, I paused a bluray movie the other day for at least 5 minutes and then unpaused and it was fine, started playing right where it left off. I haven't tried hitting the stop button and then pressing play though. That might be where it starts from the beginning, haven't tested that yet.

And, I'm not sure how long you can pause a movie before it would go into automatic stop mode, but that may be setting controlled, not sure though. I know it has screensaver mode, thought I saw some timing settings in there somewhere.
post #94 of 170 Old 01-06-2011, 05:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Just had a thought about this stop restart issue. I have stopped and restated movies without issue. It is when there is a long wait time that the player shuts down so to speak. I do know I have power saving mode ON, this may be why. Next time I use the player I will set to off, start the movie and stop it to see what happens after 30 minutes. May not get to this for a while so if someone else want to give it a try and post back it would be much appreciated.
post #95 of 170 Old 01-06-2011, 10:58 AM

I just notice that at Samsung's c6800 site there is a firmware update posted for download as of Dec 27,2010, version 1009.1. Does anyone know what changes have been made in this release? Thanks.
post #96 of 170 Old 01-06-2011, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by netgoer View Post

I just notice that at Samsung's c6800 site there is a firmware update posted for download as of Dec 27,2010, version 1009.1. Does anyone know what changes have been made in this release? Thanks.

Nope but I installed it the other day.. nothing bad happened...
post #97 of 170 Old 01-07-2011, 04:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Nope but I installed it the other day.. nothing bad happened...

7 internet apps disappeared, including youtube, TV listings, weather and some games. Some dumb Samsung product guide showed up in their place. If you want to read about any other Samsung products, you can do it there. Let me give a double eyeroll to this "improvement".

Someone should check if the component output has been affected or disabled, since the update happened after 1/1/11. Where I have my unit isn't set up for component, so I can't check this.

Oh well, this unit is only a stopgap for me till the Oppo 95 comes out.
post #98 of 170 Old 01-08-2011, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livedavidnyc View Post
I have two questions that I cannot seem to find any answers for...

1. On the Samsung BD-C6800, is it possible to set individual channel levels for the 7.1 analog outputs?

2. Is there any difference, or, what are the differences in streaming services between Samsung TV's and Samsung Bluray players. (I have a PN63C7000 & BD-C6800)

Thanks.
1) Not that I've been able to find. I just got the 6800 a couple of days ago and have it hooked up via 7.1 analog inputs to my receiver. Works great, though it does seem that I have turn turn the receiver volume up higher than I typically do with the optical input.

2) No idea, sorry.

-Bob
post #99 of 170 Old 01-13-2011, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ti-triodes View Post

7 internet apps disappeared, including youtube, TV listings, weather and some games. Some dumb Samsung product guide showed up in their place. If you want to read about any other Samsung products, you can do it there. Let me give a double eyeroll to this "improvement".

Someone should check if the component output has been affected or disabled, since the update happened after 1/1/11. Where I have my unit isn't set up for component, so I can't check this.

Oh well, this unit is only a stopgap for me till the Oppo 95 comes out.

Holy Shitballs!

Did anyone else have this happen?

Youtube and Netflix is why I purchased this unit. Tell me it isn't so, that the latest firmware broke it?

And where is the official list of what this latest firmware is supposed to fix?

Will this player do internet radio stations like Shoutcast? Anyone know?
post #100 of 170 Old 01-14-2011, 04:16 AM
AVS Special Member

I will try and do another update (just in-case) then update the apps and see what it has. I bought this because they had it next to the sony 570 that I was going for and it looked like more bang for the buck. In the end I have never used any of the apps and unless my wife lets me get rid of Fios (every thing under the sun) I probably never will..
post #101 of 170 Old 01-14-2011, 05:46 PM
AVS Special Member

The apps are removed with the new firmware when you enter the internet menu. All you have to do is select Samsung apps and download them again. My guess is they free up the space so you can have room to spend money on the apps that you have to pay for! ;-)
post #102 of 170 Old 01-14-2011, 09:09 PM

Quote:

The apps are removed with the new firmware when you enter the internet menu. All you have to do is select Samsung apps and download them again. My guess is they free up the space so you can have room to spend money on the apps that you have to pay for! ;-)

Good to know the firmware update doesn't cause any permanent damage. Haven't checked out the apps that can be purchased yet. I sure hope they add ShoutCast or Rhapsody.

How do we find out what the new firmware does? Someone must know.
post #103 of 170 Old 01-15-2011, 04:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoobyMaster View Post

Good to know the firmware update doesn't cause any permanent damage. Haven't checked out the apps that can be purchased yet. I sure hope they add ShoutCast or Rhapsody.

How do we find out what the new firmware does? Someone must know.

I don't recall seeing them.. but I don't really use any of the internet stuff as of yet.
post #104 of 170 Old 01-15-2011, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
What are the best settings with this on samsung 58c7000 tv?

Jesus Christ is the Way, The Truth, and The Life, He is the only Way to God!

Yamaha RXV765

Emotiva LPA-1

Ascend Sierra-2s(LCR), RSS300, Polk R15

SVS PB12 plus

Panasonic S65

Sony S5100

PS4, PS3, XBOX 360

post #105 of 170 Old 01-17-2011, 04:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for the heads up. Did they improve youtube at least? To say it was clunky is an understatement.
post #106 of 170 Old 01-17-2011, 08:31 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the heads up. Did they improve youtube at least? To say it was clunky is an understatement.

bummer
post #107 of 170 Old 01-22-2011, 05:43 AM

PC Share Manager 2.4 and the BD-C6800 bluray player with a Windows 2000 Server - Software Installation issue

Hey everyone.

I'm trying to set up the Samsung PC Share Manager version 4.2 to use with my BD-C6800 player and I was able to install it on one machine running Windows 7 64 bit just fine. When I install it on a different machine that is running Windows 2000 Server, I get the installation error below (1628: Failed to complete installation - You are **** out of luck).

Anyone know if this software works on 2000 server or not? In the documentation, it just says Windows 2000, XP, Vista. It doesn't list the Pro or Server specification for Windows 2000. Usually when you see requirements like that it means it can run on both Pro and Server versions. Below is the error I receive. Anyone?

http://ars.samsung.com/customer/usa/...&PROD_SUB_ID=0

post #108 of 170 Old 01-29-2011, 12:20 AM
AVS Special Member

I got a coupon from BB to get the 6800 for $160, so I picked one up today. So far I like it, but haven't tried all the features yet. looks like it does everything I want though.

Dave B.
post #109 of 170 Old 01-29-2011, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Correct, I paused a bluray movie the other day for at least 5 minutes and then unpaused and it was fine, started playing right where it left off. I haven't tried hitting the stop button and then pressing play though. That might be where it starts from the beginning, haven't tested that yet.

And, I'm not sure how long you can pause a movie before it would go into automatic stop mode, but that may be setting controlled, not sure though. I know it has screensaver mode, thought I saw some timing settings in there somewhere.

Last night I was watching Avavtar (good movie to test player with) and stopped it, removed it from the player and turned the player off. This morning I put it back in and when it came up it asked me if I wanted to resume at the point where I left off.

Dave B.
post #110 of 170 Old 01-29-2011, 01:12 PM

I'm surprised the theme of "Why isn't my Blu-ray player acting more like my DVD?" has dragged on this long.

Much of our current-gen devices are like computers than not. They have a rudimentary operating system and effectively "boot up" when powered on. (Dig into the player's About screens to see for yourself) Blu-ray players reinitialize themselves at startup most likely to check for updates, and do DRM checks to see if it'll play content or not.

Old-school DVD players are effectively primitive mechanical klunkers by comparison. Power it off and the "head" stays in that spot until it's powered up again. It doesn't need to check for "permission" to play content on a DVD disc and THAT's why they all are capable of retaining your spot in a movie.

Blu-ray and HD-DVD players probably can't do that without adding even more complexity, so they offer a software bookmark. Hit the yellow "B" button on the remote and a virtual bookmark is saved in the player. While this isn't as simplistic as just powering off a DVD player, it DOES offer one huge advantage; in households that share the player where a different disc gets popped in, the player has memorized a collection of bookmarks and no one looses their place. Recall the bookmark by going into the Chapter Search menu.

Blu-ray authoring facilities (guys who build/design the menus) will sometimes add in-menu on-screen buttons that say something like "add bookmark" (usually in their Chapter Search pages). But even for those Blu-ray discs that don't get fancy with their menus, I've found the remote's (B) bookmark functions as expected.

Blu-ray players don't auto-resume. All of them? Most of them? Learn to use the bookmark button. Get over it.

Back to the BD-C6800... with the latest update at time of this post the Apps library now brings a free Vimeo app.

In November when I did a Samsung App update, I specifically recall it flashing a dialog box about installing a "MLBtv.com" app but no such icon showed up back then. A couple updates and months later, it's now available to select and download. Wierd.

There's still no HuluPlus app available for this player. Given where Hulu is going after the Comcast/NBC merger, this might not be relavent anymore.

The Netflix app for the Samsung BD-C6800 DOES offer full ability to add and delete titles to your instant-play queue. As a result, I've been using this player more frequently to stream content -- a good chunk of it seems to be in higher-definition-than-DVD.

Being away from the player, the free apps currently available for the BD-C6800 off the top of my head:
Google Maps
YouTube
Vimeo
Netflix
CinemaNow (?)
Blockbuster(?)
Vudu
Rovi
Pandora
Facebook
USA Today
Accuweather
Texas Holdem
Sudoku
post #111 of 170 Old 01-30-2011, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarterTG View Post

Being away from the player, the free apps currently available for the BD-C6800 off the top of my head:
Google Maps
YouTube
Vimeo
Netflix
CinemaNow (?)
Blockbuster(?)
Vudu
Rovi
Pandora
Facebook
USA Today
Accuweather
Texas Holdem
Sudoku

Anyone know when the next BD-C6800 firmware revision will be released and what it might contain?

I hope they add Rhapsody, Shoutcast, or Spotify apps.
post #112 of 170 Old 01-31-2011, 08:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmbatch View Post
I got a coupon from BB to get the 6800 for $160, so I picked one up today. So far I like it, but haven't tried all the features yet. looks like it does everything I want though.
Where did you get the coupon?
post #113 of 170 Old 01-31-2011, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayMan007 View Post

Where did you get the coupon?

Best Buy emailed it to me as part of their rewards program

Dave B.
post #114 of 170 Old 01-31-2011, 03:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarterTG View Post

Old-school DVD players are effectively primitive mechanical klunkers by comparison. Power it off and the "head" stays in that spot until it's powered up again. It doesn't need to check for "permission" to play content on a DVD disc and THAT's why they all are capable of retaining your spot in a movie.

I don't it's quite that primitive. My "old klunker" DVD player is quite capable of remembering where it is in a movie after I have ejected the disc and put it back in later.

Quote:
Google Maps
YouTube
Vimeo
Netflix
CinemaNow (?)
Blockbuster(?)
Vudu
Rovi
Pandora
Facebook
USA Today
Accuweather
Texas Holdem
Sudoku

That's in the U.S.. The only streaming video or audio services available in Canada are Netflix.ca and Youtube. In the UK there is no Netflix either, but there are a couple of other UK-only streaming services.

There is also Twitter, and there are many more games making up the bulk of free apps.
post #115 of 170 Old 02-01-2011, 03:08 PM

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/do...s/BD-C6800/XAA

Upgrade File(USB type) (Firmware) (ver.1009.1)

You are on your own, upgrade at your own Risk! I just only Gave you the link to the Samsung page, have fun!
post #116 of 170 Old 02-01-2011, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeejo View Post

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/do...s/BD-C6800/XAA

Upgrade File(USB type) (Firmware) (ver.1009.1)

You are on your own, upgrade at your own Risk! I just only Gave you the link to the Samsung page, have fun!

I've been using that one for a couple weeks. Seems to be fine, just don't know what it did.

Waiting for the next one. Anyone know when it will be out?
post #117 of 170 Old 02-03-2011, 06:17 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 14
Hummm trying to figure this out can I rip a blu-Ray to a external usb and play it. if so i do I rip it what format to maintain quality?

I have thec6800 so far so go picture is really great better streaming than my tivo. Can't compaire it to a 6900, if anyone can i would be intrestd, but this looks dang good.

Jason
Note: Any posts are of my personal opinions and not to reflect upon any business.

Jason@programmergeek.com

908 578-6466

post #118 of 170 Old 02-04-2011, 05:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I've been using that one for a couple weeks. Seems to be fine, just don't know what it did.

Waiting for the next one. Anyone know when it will be out?

Ae you waiting for anything in particular? Something needs fixing? Some disc doesn't play?
post #119 of 170 Old 02-04-2011, 11:41 PM

Quote:

Ae you waiting for anything in particular? Something needs fixing? Some disc doesn't play?

I'm waiting mostly for new apps, mostly Rhapsody and Shoutcast.

Pandora is good but listening to live internet dj's\\music is great and Shoutcast is the way to go for that.

Also, a web browser would be a nice update. I don't understand what is taking so long for that.
post #120 of 170 Old 02-05-2011, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Hi, I have read through this thread and the question that I have has come up several times.

What is the real difference between the C6800 and the C6900 (other than the exterior)

There have been several comments about whether the "guts" are the same or not... but no real answers from what I have read. The C6900 was written up several months back as having an "excellent" scaler for SD-DVD's (yes some of us still own those). While there is apparently little difference between the picture quality on BluRay discs between players there is a definite difference in scaling on SD-DVD's... (I also have the Toshiba XA-2, but need a second player and do not want to give up the excellent scaling).

So has anyone actually found out if both players use the same scaler, or has anyone had the opportunity to actually do a side by side, with SD material to see if there is any difference in the scalers??

Thank you,

There are just two theories for successfully quarreling with a woman -- neither one works!
The Barn - Use Password = AVSForum
Reply Blu-ray Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page