AVS BR Forum's Samsung BD-C6800 owner/master thread - Page 6 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #151 of 170 Old 04-03-2011, 05:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Noticed my player mentioned a new update was available as recently as 1 or 2 weeks ago. Anyone try it out yet, or know what it does?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 170 Old 04-08-2011, 11:17 AM

Just got this Blu-ray player. Connected it to my Yamaha HTR-5960 receiver with TOSLINK optical audio (can't connect with HDMI because this receiver has no HDMI inputs, hence I'm assuming the receiver doesn't support any of the new HD lossless codecs, but I digress...) So given that connection, my question is which output setting should I use: "Bitstream Re-encode" or "Bitstream Audiophile"? I know the downfall to using the "Bitstream Audiophile" setting will be that some menu and extras sounds won't work, BUT I'm wondering if the sound quality will actually be better letting my Yamaha do the decoding with this option. I'm afraid that the DTS re-encoding the Blu-ray player does using the "Bitstream Re-encode" option will degrade quality to some extent, but I'm not really certain.

And yes, I have some decent Klipsch speakers hooked up to notice differences.
post #153 of 170 Old 04-08-2011, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Hey I have no idea, still using analog 2 channel. But if you can choose from several options, why not just pick a reference and try each one to see if you can really hear a difference. If you can't tell, then there is nothing to worry about.. if you can, you will be able to choose what sounds best.
post #154 of 170 Old 04-08-2011, 12:04 PM

No offense but I'm looking for informed help. Thanks though.
post #155 of 170 Old 04-08-2011, 06:08 PM

The Optical won't pass the newer formats, ,DTS MA or Dolby HD, because of bandwidth limitations , so you'll probably need to use the re-encode option to downmix those before the receiver gets it , or the receiver will get nothing .. Use the bitstream .
post #156 of 170 Old 04-08-2011, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoylekim View Post

The Optical won't pass the newer formats, ,DTS MA or Dolby HD, because of bandwidth limitations , so you'll probably need to use the re-encode option to downmix those before the receiver gets it , or the receiver will get nothing .. Use the bitstream .

Both output options are technically bitstream. Also, as I said before, I know that the optical doesn't have the bandwidth to support the lossless HD formats. That's kind of besides the point. The "Bitstream Audiophile" option outputs main feature audio stream so my receiver does the decoding. I'm assuming DTS-HD will just be downsampled (downmixed?) to DTS, Dolby TrueHD to Dolby Digital, etc. by my receiver. However with the "Bitstream re-encode" option, the disc player is decoding and then re-encoding everything to DTS bitstream. I'm wondering if there's a quality loss there.

IE: If the movie's main feature audio is in Dolby Digital, but I have Bitstream re-encode selected on my Blu-ray Player, my receiver will actually be receiving a DTS bitstream because of the re-encoding the player did before passing the signal out. That's really not necessary other than to get some PCM audio mixed into the stream (for nav and extras), so if it effects quality, I'd rather not use it. It really comes down to the quality of the decoding and re-encoding to another format (in this case DTS) within the player itself.

Is anyone following me?
post #157 of 170 Old 04-08-2011, 08:21 PM

Upon further testing I can confirm two things, one expected and one not:

1) Even with the "Bitstream Audiophile" setting, I still get Dolby Digital Surround Sound output (and other lossy formats, whatever the disc is encoded in) through my optical cable. (EXPECTED)
2) With "Bitstream Re-encode" setting, my receiver does NOT display DTS on the front panel, but rather whatever codec the main feature uses such as Dolby Digital. (NOT EXPECTED)

Now I'm EXTRA confused. Anyone a guru out there?
post #158 of 170 Old 04-23-2011, 10:25 PM

I ran the update tonight and appears to have fixed the problem of lost audio on Netflix after listening to Pandora. It also deleted Facebook.
post #159 of 170 Old 04-24-2011, 05:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 99
just reinstall Facebook from the samsung apps link
post #160 of 170 Old 11-01-2011, 08:24 AM

I see no one has posted on this thread in a while.

I am having major problems trying to get the player to connect to my wireless network. It says it can physically find the network but cannot connect or it says that there is interference causing it not to be able to connect.

Another unrelated problem is that sometimes the remote locks up when I am playing a dvd or blu ray disc. Am not sure if it is the remote or the player. Remote works fine navigating around the network and internet features.

I do have an older Samsung TV right below the player and am wondering it is interfering with the signal from the remote.
post #161 of 170 Old 12-28-2011, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
I am looking for an inexpensive WiFi, streaming, (DLNA is a plus) BluRay for a bedroom.

Right now in my sights are:

this player>>refurb at walmart. com for 100
LG 670>>new for 149
Dynex @ best buy for 59

Any thoughts?

Update.....

After a little more searching, I found a C6900 refurb for 100 @ tigerdirect. Saved shipping and tax.

I wanted to stay with the C series Samsungs due the 7.1 out. Don't need it right now, but since I wanted to get a legacy player for video.....(hoping firmware doesn't disable component out) might as well have one for audio at the same time.

I've seen things you wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate.
post #162 of 170 Old 07-21-2012, 08:52 AM

My BD-C6800, which previously worked correctly, now starts up to the initial splash screen, then my TV goes blank- its not putting out a video signal. I've tried reset to factory specs, but it does not seem to respond to that. I've tried leaving it unplugged, with no results. It is almost as if it is partially booting up then crashing.

Any ideas on how to get it going?

Thanks
post #163 of 170 Old 07-22-2012, 04:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcabaleiro View Post

My BD-C6800, which previously worked correctly, now starts up to the initial splash screen, then my TV goes blank- its not putting out a video signal. I've tried reset to factory specs, but it does not seem to respond to that. I've tried leaving it unplugged, with no results. It is almost as if it is partially booting up then crashing.
Any ideas on how to get it going?
Thanks

Might be a HDMI handshake problem. Try it again with a different cable.
post #164 of 170 Old 07-23-2012, 04:37 PM

ti-triodes,

Thank you for your response. I was going to follow your suggestion, but decided to reseat the current cable. That did the trick. It must have worked itself out of the receiver. Thanks for putting me on the right track!
post #165 of 170 Old 01-18-2013, 04:59 PM

Hello,

I've been upgrading my AV system and have hit a few annoying issues.

I bought a BD-C6800 on ebay and it works fine except if I want to play MKV format movies from my NAS.

If I want to watch the movie from the beginning its fine. If I want to rewind or fast forward, or start watching halfway through, none of the fwd/rewind or elapsed time functions work, which is contrary to the manual on P46.

The firmware is the latest version 1015 version from December.

I'm using the remote as described in the manual.

I really only bought this C6800 so I could replace the PC I had connected to my AV setup. With no navigation in movies, its a bit useless.

Any suggestions please?

Thanks.
post #166 of 170 Old 01-19-2013, 07:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Unfortunately DLNA is notoriously finicky, and problems like this between any particular DLNA server and client are common. It is possible to get the Samsung client to ff/rew/time-index properly when streaming mkv files from a DLNA server, but in my experiments it only works properly with a few particular servers, and only when you have the right version and the right server settings. It may not be possible with the server you have in your NAS unless you can change it or modify the settings. If your NAS uses Twonky for example (very common), you probably need to update to the latest version of Twonky (not free) and add a Samsung-specific profile you can find with some online research in the Twonky forums. Alternatively you can play your mkv file from local attached storage, which usually works better.
post #167 of 170 Old 05-20-2014, 09:27 AM

I have had my samsung player over 3 years now and I can tell you I have had a freezing on playback problem from 6 months in. I purchased that unit$250 new and I have run the gambit on figuring this out.I did a agreat deal of research by checking reviewer comments, and various site owner comments. I am quite confident this is a valid issue that also can affect other brands and models.I test bench and repair gear down to the component level but started with the basics. I checked cables,discs,vibration, static charges,fields from other nearby gear,power,contamination,and updated with manufacture's latest hard disc update. As many others who experience this none of it worked. I had also tried the 110 v disconect and reset method but the problem would come back. I believe I have finally solved this issue for my particular unit.This player was moved to a new location and a lower level samsung was swapped in its place ,and that unit had no problems. The problamitic c6800 was hooked to a stand alone tv and suddenly it was working fine not chocking on frames. When put back in the dedicated theater issues started again. It will always make it better than half way through a standard length disc,then after that point, the freezing issues will rear up. I had developed a theory at this point,I believe its thermal,and I put it to the test. My player location (in the theater is below all amps and receiver,the rack is large,deep,and wyde. No other device has had a heat or vent issue ,but I have noticed the 6800 is warmer on top cover area than the other player units I compared it to. Never excessive but warmer right above the heat sink above its cover,checking with finger tips only. I caught a comment on a different site that a owner tried a fan lap top cool pad ,and had no luck,well looking at the construction of the player I would not expect it to. I removed the top cover and ran the unit on the hypothosis that the heat sink is fine but the heat is trapped under cover and not being released. Guessing insuficcient ventilation plain and simple. Now the unit is working fine in the custom rack and is playing through movies it was freezing on just a week ago. For over two years It could never make it through a bluray without an issue. I believe this player had a resonable location and other BD players worked great in its spot, it would seem its just more suseptiable,and needs a better spot than most palyers. I must mention I plan on reworking the(out of warranty) cover,because just as the label says this is a potential shock hazard so I WON'T LEAVE IT LIKE THIS. I am of the opinion that freezing can have multiple problems,but I wonder about the percent ratio of thermal versus the others. I want to throw in the unit has not had a single problem other than freezing,and I will post if this changes with the cover I plan to rework today.I am interested with other owner experiences and if you have this problem and if in a rack,or warm area, I would suggest pulling the player out entirely and retrying in a completly open area. Feel the cover, and check it against another player that doesn't freeze in that location. I can only tell you what I have found with my own player. This could pertain to just this unit, it only takes one out of tolerance component but I can't help but wonder if this could be a wyder issue?

post #168 of 170 Old 05-22-2014, 03:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ktnc View Post

I have had my samsung player over 3 years now and I can tell you I have had a freezing on playback problem from 6 months in. I purchased that unit$250 new and I have run the gambit on figuring this out.I did a agreat deal of research by checking reviewer comments, and various site owner comments. I am quite confident this is a valid issue that also can affect other brands and models.I test bench and repair gear down to the component level but started with the basics. I checked cables,discs,vibration, static charges,fields from other nearby gear,power,contamination,and updated with manufacture's latest hard disc update. As many others who experience this none of it worked. I had also tried the 110 v disconect and reset method but the problem would come back. I believe I have finally solved this issue for my particular unit.This player was moved to a new location and a lower level samsung was swapped in its place ,and that unit had no problems. The problamitic c6800 was hooked to a stand alone tv and suddenly it was working fine not chocking on frames. When put back in the dedicated theater issues started again. It will always make it better than half way through a standard length disc,then after that point, the freezing issues will rear up. I had developed a theory at this point,I believe its thermal,and I put it to the test. My player location (in the theater is below all amps and receiver,the rack is large,deep,and wyde. No other device has had a heat or vent issue ,but I have noticed the 6800 is warmer on top cover area than the other player units I compared it to. Never excessive but warmer right above the heat sink above its cover,checking with finger tips only. I caught a comment on a different site that a owner tried a fan lap top cool pad ,and had no luck,well looking at the construction of the player I would not expect it to. I removed the top cover and ran the unit on the hypothosis that the heat sink is fine but the heat is trapped under cover and not being released. Guessing insuficcient ventilation plain and simple. Now the unit is working fine in the custom rack and is playing through movies it was freezing on just a week ago. For over two years It could never make it through a bluray without an issue. I believe this player had a resonable location and other BD players worked great in its spot, it would seem its just more suseptiable,and needs a better spot than most palyers. I must mention I plan on reworking the(out of warranty) cover,because just as the label says this is a potential shock hazard so I WON'T LEAVE IT LIKE THIS. I am of the opinion that freezing can have multiple problems,but I wonder about the percent ratio of thermal versus the others. I want to throw in the unit has not had a single problem other than freezing,and I will post if this changes with the cover I plan to rework today.I am interested with other owner experiences and if you have this problem and if in a rack,or warm area, I would suggest pulling the player out entirely and retrying in a completly open area. Feel the cover, and check it against another player that doesn't freeze in that location. I can only tell you what I have found with my own player. This could pertain to just this unit, it only takes one out of tolerance component but I can't help but wonder if this could be a wyder issue?

Welcome to AVS. I'd be surprised if you got a lot of answers. This player is 4 years old which is about 70 in dog years. smile.gif Have you thought about getting a new player?
post #169 of 170 Old 05-22-2014, 05:43 PM

The origanal post mentions I already own other players(3 total) so sorry but you are the one a few steps behind. The point of this posting is I believe that one of the overlooked root causes of freezing is possibly thermal and that the industry may be trying to gloss over this. The problem of players freezing is still happening with current models,and my statements are aimed for those persons who are experiencing this problem. When I did a search on this site for bluray player freezing issues there were over 30 thousand matches to my query,many posted in the last six months. The section I posted under was 6900 owners,the 6800 is one year older but virtualy identical in playback. This is no different as if I posted 2010 problem for v6 import that affects 2010 up on a devote site,and you chimed in why don't you just buy a new 2015 that may DUH suffer the exact same problem. I was not willing to pop a vent hole in a new unit under warranty,and by the way so far its worked. I am the only person I can find on the net who solved this problem when the standard methods failed, and to anyone who already figured it out you have my respect. I am trying to offer people something conctructive,and you seem(to me) like you have thinly vailed snobbery. Oh your units old ,l'm so great my stuff isn't,well 6900 are  approx 3 years old, so if you have one its not brand new,and if you don't why are you on a 6900 site?

post #170 of 170 Old 05-26-2014, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ktnc View Post

The origanal post mentions I already own other players(3 total) so sorry but you are the one a few steps behind. The point of this posting is I believe that one of the overlooked root causes of freezing is possibly thermal and that the industry may be trying to gloss over this. The problem of players freezing is still happening with current models,and my statements are aimed for those persons who are experiencing this problem. When I did a search on this site for bluray player freezing issues there were over 30 thousand matches to my query,many posted in the last six months. The section I posted under was 6900 owners,the 6800 is one year older but virtualy identical in playback. This is no different as if I posted 2010 problem for v6 import that affects 2010 up on a devote site,and you chimed in why don't you just buy a new 2015 that may DUH suffer the exact same problem. I was not willing to pop a vent hole in a new unit under warranty,and by the way so far its worked. I am the only person I can find on the net who solved this problem when the standard methods failed, and to anyone who already figured it out you have my respect. I am trying to offer people something conctructive,and you seem(to me) like you have thinly vailed snobbery. Oh your units old ,l'm so great my stuff isn't,well 6900 are  approx 3 years old, so if you have one its not brand new,and if you don't why are you on a 6900 site?

I was trying to make a joke, I think it's you that have the problem. Good luck trying to fix your unit.
Reply Blu-ray Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page