AVS Marantz UD5005 Owner's Thread: All questions and discussions go here - Page 5 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #121 of 133 Old 08-28-2014, 07:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Can the UD5005 output 7.1 LPCM via HDMI?
If I read the manual I can only find support for 5.1!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 133 Old 09-19-2014, 08:18 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Unfortunatly I don't have a 7.1 system (for now at least) to test with, but... I'd be surprised if it can't? But then most players seem to have some weird quirks to them so maybe it wouldn't be that surprising. Anyone else have a way to test this?
post #123 of 133 Old 09-19-2014, 08:35 AM

Quick questions for everyone, (as almost always my question relates to the firmware updates that Marantz continues to refuse to tell us any details about...).

First: Does anyone know what the most recent Firmware does?

Second: Even if you don't know specifically what it does do I have a question about what I (hope) it doesn't do: Take away the ability to play SACD-R's.

Can anyone who has updated to the most recent firmware confirm whether or not the player will still play burned SACD's? (I like to play burned versions of my SACD's on my downstairs system, rather than the originals so if the copies get scratched or anything happens to them I can just burn another, and keep my more pristine originals just a bit safer for playing in my upstairs player which won't play burned ones).

Last edited by DrOct; 09-19-2014 at 08:41 AM.
post #124 of 133 Old 02-02-2015, 09:27 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What firmware version does yours have?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrOct View Post
Quick questions for everyone, (as almost always my question relates to the firmware updates that Marantz continues to refuse to tell us any details about...).

First: Does anyone know what the most recent Firmware does?

Second: Even if you don't know specifically what it does do I have a question about what I (hope) it doesn't do: Take away the ability to play SACD-R's.

Can anyone who has updated to the most recent firmware confirm whether or not the player will still play burned SACD's? (I like to play burned versions of my SACD's on my downstairs system, rather than the originals so if the copies get scratched or anything happens to them I can just burn another, and keep my more pristine originals just a bit safer for playing in my upstairs player which won't play burned ones).

-----
Denon 2310ci with Mirage OS3 7.1 / Sony 55HX800
Onkyo TX-NR616 with Klipsch Reference / Polk SW-10
Sony BX-58 | Oppo BDP-93 | Denon DVD-2910 | Marantz UD5005
Pioneer BDP-140 / Benq W1070
-----
post #125 of 133 Old 02-02-2015, 09:41 AM

I'll have to check when I get home. It's been some time since that post. I would say it's likely whatever firmware was out before the firmware that came out near that date.

I really don't understand why there still isn't just a site somewhere we can go to and see the release notes for the firmware updates. This is pretty basic stuff for most modern companies.
post #126 of 133 Old 02-14-2015, 11:17 AM

Sorry for being so late in replying. I recently checked back in here and realized I never replied with my firmware version!

Unfortunatly now that I'm sitting here with my player I can't figure out how to find the firmware version it's running! Anyone know how to find it?

Last edited by DrOct; 03-15-2015 at 10:01 AM.
post #127 of 133 Old 02-14-2015, 11:52 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrOct View Post
Sorry for being so late in replying. I recently checked back in here and realized I never replied wit
Th my firmware version!

Unfortunatly now that I'm sitting here with my player I can't figure out how to find the firmware version it's running! Anyone know how to find it?
Tried some tricks I did for denon, to find firmware version - didnt work. I bought a used UD5005 recently from ebay. Not sure what FW it was in. But I bit the bullet and upgraded yesterday to the latest FW thru network. SACD-R, DVDA-R plays fine. MKVs and PAL DVDs plays too.
Have problem playing large AVCHD folder thru USB. It tries and freezes. Best thing is it won't recognize cinavia copies. Overall I am happy

-----
Denon 2310ci with Mirage OS3 7.1 / Sony 55HX800
Onkyo TX-NR616 with Klipsch Reference / Polk SW-10
Sony BX-58 | Oppo BDP-93 | Denon DVD-2910 | Marantz UD5005
Pioneer BDP-140 / Benq W1070
-----

Last edited by sam298; 02-17-2015 at 06:26 PM. Reason: edited
post #128 of 133 Old 02-14-2015, 01:45 PM

The Cinavia thing I believe has been in the player more or less from day 1, (or at least since I got mine) so I won't be losing anything by that. Thank you for confirming that it will still play SACD-R's just fine with the latest firmware though, that's a bit load off my mind. I'll go ahead and upgrade it then! I really wish all of this stuff wasn't so opaque though. We should be able to easily find what firmware we're running, and to know what firmware updates do before we install them. I don't even need the release notes to be there with he update on the player. Just give me a website I can go to and see!

Anyway, thank you for taking the plunge and testing!
post #129 of 133 Old 02-26-2015, 06:15 PM

PS I can confirm that now that I'v upgraded mine it does indeed still play SACD-R's! So that's two people who have it working!
post #130 of 133 Old 03-15-2015, 01:23 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Problem with HD DVD format

With James Taylor's birthday this past Thursday, I scored a used copy of a Musicares 2006 tribute. It has a stellar cast of musicians and looks quite promising. However, despite the manual's claim that this format is compatible with this universal player, I get an error message saying in effect "unknown disc".
This is the only HD DVD in my library and I have had no other problems with a variety of formats. I wouls love to enjot this concert and am hoping someone may have a suggestion.
This model is the last of the line that cannot be updated via ethernet, so I wonder if a firmware update would be worth the effort/cost?
I appreciate any advice on how to enable my player or on some other way to enjoy this tribute.

With thanks in advance
post #131 of 133 Old 03-15-2015, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacHolz View Post
With James Taylor's birthday this past Thursday, I scored a used copy of a Musicares 2006 tribute. It has a stellar cast of musicians and looks quite promising. However, despite the manual's claim that this format is compatible with this universal player, I get an error message saying in effect "unknown disc".
This is the only HD DVD in my library and I have had no other problems with a variety of formats. I wouls love to enjot this concert and am hoping someone may have a suggestion.
This model is the last of the line that cannot be updated via ethernet, so I wonder if a firmware update would be worth the effort/cost?
I appreciate any advice on how to enable my player or on some other way to enjoy this tribute.

With thanks in advance
Are you sure we're talking about the same player here? Perhaps you posted in the wrong thread?

This is the Marantz UD5005, its a Blu-Ray player, but not an HD-DVD player (at least so far as I know!). It is a "Universal" player insofar as it can play Blu-Ray, DVD-Audio, SACD, CD, and probably a couple of other somewhat obscure formats. I do not believe it can play HD-DVD's (which haven't been made for some time, Blu-Ray having won that format war). It also absolutely CAN be updated via ethernet, I've done so several times, in fact most recently doing it, and talking about it in the posts just above yours.
post #132 of 133 Old 03-15-2015, 12:58 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Thanks for your prompt reply. You are quite right and I erred on two points. First I distinctly remember seeing HD-DVD specified as a format, yet when I track down my source, I discover it among a list of formats NOT supported. Ouch.
One the second point, I have confused the firmware upgrade methods involved with my other Marantz gear, the SR6005 which needs a trip to a service center for this service.
You are correct on both points and I regret the inartful query. I usually do my research before asking for the assistance of others. Thanks again and with an apology.
post #133 of 133 Old 03-16-2015, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacHolz View Post
Thanks for your prompt reply. You are quite right and I erred on two points. First I distinctly remember seeing HD-DVD specified as a format, yet when I track down my source, I discover it among a list of formats NOT supported. Ouch.
One the second point, I have confused the firmware upgrade methods involved with my other Marantz gear, the SR6005 which needs a trip to a service center for this service.
You are correct on both points and I regret the inartful query. I usually do my research before asking for the assistance of others. Thanks again and with an apology.
No worries. I just wanted to make sure that you were in the right place to get a helpful answer!
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Marantz Ud5005 Blu Ray Disc Player , Blu Ray Players , Denon Dbp 1611ud Universal Blu Ray Dvd Cd Player Black , Sony Bdp S360 1080p Blu Ray Disc Player Accessory Kit , Oppo Bdp 83 Blu Ray Player
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page