AVS Forum banner
53K views 152 replies 53 participants last post by  sam298 
#1 ·
I just stumbled on the UD5005 on Marantz USA's website, They dont offer a whole lot of spec info. I was wondering if anyone here had any more knowledge. Seems like a good price for a universal player. One thing that has me intrigued is wether or not it decodes True HD and DTS MA internally, couldn't tell from Marantz' website. If anyone has anything, PLEASE DO TELL!

UD5005 > Universal / Network Player | $499.99

Plays Super Audio CD(Stereo/Multi), BD-VIdeo/-ROM, DVD-Audio/Video/-R/-RW/+RW, CD-DA/-R/-RW/dtsCD

Supports HDMI ver.1.4a, 3D Blu-ray disc playback capability by future firmware update (planned for Fall 2010)

x.v.Color, Deep Color and HDMI CEC support

Online contents access capability: YouTube, NetFlix(subscription required)

Supports DLNA 1.5, streaming capability of home network Audio/Video/Photo contents

Built-in 1G memory for BD-Live(Profile 2.0), expnadable the memory by USB memory

Quick Start up, Faster loading time: Less than 1/2 - 1/3 time against our previous models

Plays MP3/WMA/AAC/WAV/DivX Plus HD/AVCHD/Jpeg/Kodak Picture CD format on disc

Plays MP3/WMA/AAC/WAV/DivX Plus HD/AVCHD/Mpeg/h.264/Jpeg/ format through USB memory/Network

10bit I/P & scaler, 148.5MHz over sampling, 12-bit Video processing

Various Picture adjustments capability

Got a high score 80(/100) of Spears & Munsil High-Definition Benchmark

192kHz/24bit audio D/A converter for Stereo analog audio outputs

Indipendent board construction to minimize the interaction between Audio, Video and Power Supply stages

New "Home" menu style color GUI

Component/Composite Video outputs, Coaxial Digital Audio outout

IR Flasher In/Out

marantz D-bus(RC-5) In/Out

Luminus-key Remote

Two IR Remote Code Set

Detachable Power Cord

Firmware update capability through Internet

Region Codes: BD-Video: A, DVD-Video: 1
Rack Mount Kit RMK7505UD

See less See more
#77 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by csan /forum/post/0

Hi David

I didn´t realise that we couldn´t use Audyssey with Analog. That´s why I "suggested" that the 7006 with its analog connections could maybe output at higher frequencies on PCM, which is the limitation of the 5005 you pointed through the HDMI linked with the AVR. I think we should get the most of these players, and sounds weird how Marantz projected these equipment with such limitations... Looks like they weren´t developed to work at its best with each other.

Reading your posts, I can now realise that the 5005 is definetly a better cost/benefit player over the 7006. I already have a Panasonic Player, and would be migrating to Marantz for the SACD/DVD-A audio experience / better video upscaller, and also making a good combo with a SR7005.

I shall also give "a look" on the Oppo 93 audio output specs qualities, as it´s the other player I could afford to buy instead.

Clarification: with 7.1 EXT in (analog) on the SR-7005 you have no Audyssey and no manual EQ. My Denon AVRs are designed the same way as I think most all in this price range are. However for 2 channel analog in (stereo) you CAN use Audyssey , manual EQ and/or tone....although not Audyssey and manual EQ at the same time. I'm sorry I wasn't more clear about this. The UD-5005, UD-7005 and OPPO 93 all output SACD DSD as PCM over HDMI at 88.2 kHz. All three handle DVD-A at 96 kHz 5.1 Mch PCM over HDMI. All three can output bitstream DSD to be decoded by the AVR... unfortunately Marantz left this capability off on the SR-7005. I agree with you 100% that it is weird how they designed these products with unfortunate limitations and design quirks. I don't understand why choice of video resolution (source direct, 480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p) on my 5005 should have an effect on the audio resolution! Especially in source direct, the audio should be output at high resolution just as it is with NO down sampling to 48 kHz! Change the resolution above 480p and then you'll hear your DVD-A 5.1 at 96 kHz or your DVD with DTS 96/24 at 96 kHz. Very frustratiing.

I hope I have been of some help my posts may be long and rambling please forgive!

#80 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jav1 /forum/post/0

Hi, can anyone advise if this player actually supports and will play 3d blu-ray?

Thanks

The player must have a firmware update to play 3D bluray. It was made available in fall 2010 but I have not personally updated mine. Hopefully someone else who has will post more details and experience about the firmware update and the player's performance afterwards.

#81 ·
I've updated mine, and it does say it has 3D capabilities. A few reviews also talked about it. I don't have a 3D capable TV or any 3D movies so I can't speak to how well it performs (even if I did I wouldn't have anything to compare it to), but the feature is definitely there and some of the reviews I read seemed to say it did a decent job of it.

#86 ·
I just got this player a few months at a fairly low price because the local Best Buy was closing. It runs concurrently with a fatboy PS3. Side by side, the PS3 still loads Blu-ray discs faster than the Marantz and the PS3 has a playback resume function after power off which the UD5005 does not. Both feed audio to my Onkyo TX-SR805 receiver by HDMI and the Onkyo decodes SACD natively via HDMI. Video and audio from all sources is excellent. Not too keen on the remote control with its small buttons.

#87 ·
Hi,

I need help regarding the marantz app... Im trying to connect the ud5005 entering its static ip adress, but the app says wrong ip constantly! Anyone here figured this out?

It is posible to stream movies and video clips from my ipad to the ud5005 right?

Is anyone here streaming with an ipad, if so how are you doing this?

Tnx

#88 ·
Hi, I joined this forum after purchasing an UD5005 + SR5006 combo. I've encountered a problem that seems to be pretty unique. I've connected the two with HDMI as well as analogue cables. Analogue, to be able to use the UD5005 DAC and to be able to use Pure Direct on the UD5005. When I enable Pure Direct, the disc (audio CD) starts skipping with precise one-second intervals. Sometimes this starts right away, sometimes after a few tracks, sometimes it doesn't manifest itself at all. When I disconnect the HDMI-cable, the skipping stops, when I switch off the amp, the skipping also stops (I can see this in the display and can hear it when I connect the analogue outputs to a wireless headphone unit). I've fiddled with all kinds of settings, switched all cables, but the issue remains.

I've searched many threads (including 43 pages of SR5006/6006) for a solution, but didn't find one.

Any suggestions?

#89 ·
I have a UD-5005 and have never experienced the problem you are describing. It sounds to me like you could possibly have a defective unit.

Have you done a microprocessor reset on the UD-5005? If not, try that on the player and maybe the SR too (?)

Wish I could be of more help, this is not a very active thread these days...

#90 ·
Thanks for the reply.

I've done resets on both units.

I also think that something is wrong with the UD5005, although the fact that it only happens when there is an hdmi-connection with the SR5006 (that has to be turned on) makes it a little suspect as to the cause. Is it the UD5005 or the SR5006?

I've asked my local dealer (in the Netherlands) for help and/or exchange since I've only had the units for a week.

#91 ·
Solved. Thanks to a guy on Dutch Marantz forum who had a comparable issue, only his UD-5005 skipped also without enabling pure direct.

Solution is to connect HDMI and analog cables to BR-input (I had the analog cables connected to the CD-input). Then switch between HDMI and Analog in the amp's input menu.

#92 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaaVee  /t/1261991/avs-marantz-ud5005-owner...s-and-discussions-go-here/80_40#post_22321244

Solved. Thanks to a guy on Dutch Marantz forum who had a comparable issue, only his UD-5005 skipped also without enabling pure direct.

Solution is to connect HDMI and analog cables to BR-input (I had the analog cables connected to the CD-input). Then switch between HDMI and Analog in the amp's input menu.

Glad you were able to get your issue resolved. On the SR's remote look for a button near the top labelled "A/D"... this allows you switch between HDMI,

Digital (coax/opt) and analog inputs WITHOUT having to go all the way in to the amp's input menu.

This recommendation is based on my experience with the SR-7005, thinking that the remote for your SR

may have the same capability.

#93 ·
Thank for the suggestion, but unfortunately the (European version of the) 5006 remote doesn't sport such a button. And since I don't want to fire up my TV jut for a mnu, there's a whole lot of learning-by-heart-blind-button-pushing going on here: (4 variants, from 'cold start' choosing HDMI or Analog, plus from 'warm situation' changing to/from the two options). I'd almost upgrade to a SR-7005 for this reason alone....

#97 ·
Hallo to everyone! I'm trying to solve a problem regarding 24fps freezing MKV videos... May the region free hack get rid of this annoying issue? My Marantz UD5005 is Italian, and properly reads 25fps mkv files, while 24fps ones freeze every second. I also tried to have a look to the service menus (I spotted at least two of them) but they are difficult to understand.

#98 ·
Two things: 1)We just got another firmware update. I know it's probably futile to ask as Marantz doesn't generally give out too much info on these, but any idea what it did this time?

2) Region Free Hack? I must have missed something because I had no idea there was such an option for this player. I'd be very interested in that. I just came across a movie I'd love to get (Akira on Blu Ray), but they've apparently stopped making the Region 1 version, so the only version available at a reasonable price is the Region 2 version.

#99 ·
I was curious if there was a forum for the Marantz UD 7007 universal bluray player? I tried searching for it with no luck. I was looking for a player that excelled in 2-channel listening. The only other player I am looking at is the Oppo 103 or 105.

#100 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt14942  /t/1261991/avs-marantz-ud5005-owners-thread-all-questions-and-discussions-go-here/90#post_22614580

I was curious if there was a forum for the Marantz UD 7007 universal bluray player? I tried searching for it with no luck. I was looking for a player that excelled in 2-channel listening. The only other player I am looking at is the Oppo 103 or 105.

Me too, I just bought a UD7007 because it almost same price as Oppo 103 at my country.

Why not change this thread to UD5007/UD7007 ?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.