New Sony Blu-ray Player--BDP-S770 - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 412 Old 03-25-2011, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked: 429
4:2:2 only means that the video colourspace is transmitted untouched.

4:4:4 means the 4:2:2 signal have been upconverted back to its uncompressed form, and RGB means the 4:2:2 signal have been converted to RGB signal.

Some video processors can not handle anything but 8ibit video signal (ie 4:2:2 colourspace or RGB 16-235 only)

follow my A/V tweets @davidsusilo

ISF, THX, CEDIA, Control4 & HAA certified
Reviewer for TED, QAV, AUVI & DownUnder Audio Magazine

my (yet to be completed) BD list
my home theatre

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 412 Old 03-25-2011, 04:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVfile View Post

Anyone using this player on the "original resolution" setting with an Anthem video processor?

I noticed there are problems with my AVM-50v synchronizing to an SD (480i/p) source which resulted in a blank screen and no audio 9 times out of 10 tries. HD works fine of course.

Narrowed it down to the so-called "color space" settings (actually digital component video formats). The player has to be set to YCbCr 4:2:2 for it to work properly. The other settings (YCbCr 4:4:4, RGB, AUTO) do not work reliably in SD with my video processor.

Also I read on a technical forum that YCbCr 4:2:2 is best for movies so everyone should be using that for best picture quality, regardless if they are having problems.

Correct. From what I have seen, 4:4:4: should be used with computers and 4:4:2 with just Blue-ray.
post #363 of 412 Old 03-25-2011, 11:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Susilo View Post

4:2:2 only means that the video colourspace is transmitted untouched.

4:4:4 means the 4:2:2 signal have been upconverted back to its uncompressed form, and RGB means the 4:2:2 signal have been converted to RGB signal.

Some video processors can not handle anything but 8ibit video signal (ie 4:2:2 colourspace or RGB 16-235 only)

The video processor in the Anthem (Gennum VXP) can handle the various video signals (not to be confused with color space) but only trips when the source (770) switches from HD to SD. I'm guessing it doesn't like the sudden change in color space while it is attempting to keep the output fixed to HD.

Other 770 users must be using it in "original resolution" mode with a video processor/receiver?

- AVStefan
If you like someone's post, just use the Like button to give thanks.
post #364 of 412 Old 03-26-2011, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Is it possible that the processor just not designed for SD res with 4:4:4 colourspace? Or am I misunderstood your original post?

my home theatre

post #365 of 412 Old 03-26-2011, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

If that combination never worked at all then I would accept that. Strangely however, it works after several attempts to switch between HD-SD. In other words, I press the HOME button on the Sony remote to return to the GUI and then re-select the DVD repeatedly until it works; or press the MENU button to return to Blu-ray menu and reselect the SD featurette repeatedly until it works. So it would appear to be a timing issue, perhaps due to a software bug in the processor. The bad thing is, when it fails, the input signal is not recognized and there is no picture no matter how long I wait.

On the other hand, maybe the Sony is briefly violating some standard by allowing HD colorspace during the switch to SD exacerbated by the added complexity of upconverting to 4:4:4 or RGB data format (I'm just guessing). I assume the colorspace option (HD/SD) is only used for HD material and ignored when playing a DVD or SD featurette, so that it's the player's job to output SD correctly when not upconverting to HD. However the data format option (YCbCr/RGB) is not ignored since it seems to make the difference for a successful transition.

- AVStefan
post #366 of 412 Old 03-30-2011, 08:40 AM

Reading this thread it was reported early on that there were some issues and maybe even a bug when playing 1080p/24 which caused delay as much as 3 seconds at the start of movies. Can anyone confirm if this is still an issue or has it been solved via FW update?
post #367 of 412 Old 04-07-2011, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughh View Post

Correct. From what I have seen, 4:4:4: should be used with computers and 4:4:2 with just Blue-ray.

There seems to be a problem with this player. I have tested my older s350 and it correctly chooses YCbCr 4:2:2 when set to AUTO (the info screen on my Anthem/Sigma VXP reports this). When the s770 is set to AUTO it chooses YCbCr 4:4:4 for some reason. I don't know if the player is making the choice on its own or based on what the receiver or connected display (TV) report as optimal.

The catch is YCbCr 4:4:4 works fine with HD material (Sony HOME menu, BD, streaming content). You will not see any problem unless you enable the "Original Resolution" feature in the Screen Setup. Then when playing SD material (DVD, SD featurette on BD) the screen will go blank and the Anthem/Sigma VXP reports "No Signal".

If anyone else is using AUTO for YCbCr/RGB and "Original Resolution" with the s770 I would be interested to hear what their video processor or TV is reporting.

- AVStefan
post #368 of 412 Old 04-13-2011, 05:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Konica Tech put me on to the Options AV Settings that you tweak from the Options button during the time the DVD is playing. (He actually reads the manuals!). Greatly improved the video PQ!
post #369 of 412 Old 04-13-2011, 06:31 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by p5browne View Post
Konica Tech put me on to the Options AV Settings that you tweak from the Options button during the time the DVD is playing. (He actually reads the manuals!). Greatly improved the video PQ!

What are those settings?
post #370 of 412 Old 04-13-2011, 06:53 AM
AVS Special Member

And whether the settings are based on objective tests (calibration disc) or just based on subjective tests / according to taste.

my home theatre

post #371 of 412 Old 04-13-2011, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortiz View Post

What are those settings?

Tweak to Personal tastes - just don't go over 2! When given a choice on some of the items, I just put them on Auto - figure it's better than if it's turned Off!
post #372 of 412 Old 04-16-2011, 12:41 AM

Hello All. I have been researching for blu-ray players, and have decided on BDPS770 (to match with my 55HX800) after going through this thread. I am about to order ($239 at an Internet Store) until I read the 780 thread; now I'm more confused. Some of the owners here have returned the 770 after only a few months and switching to 780 or some other player. Cortiz, what were your issues with the player if I may ask? Thanks for your input.
post #373 of 412 Old 04-16-2011, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Guaping,

My problem with the 770 is that eventually the spindle motor is making a high-pitch whining noise. I'm waiting for the 780 to be released here in Canada.

my home theatre

post #374 of 412 Old 04-16-2011, 08:33 AM
AVS Special Member

I wouldn't buy any 2011 model. They just remove features and add software (crippled analog output). Do you want SACD? In what way do you expect the 780 to be better?

- AVStefan
post #375 of 412 Old 04-16-2011, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member

780 added Super Bit Mapping - Video to reduce colour banding, something important that the 770 don't have

2D to 3D conversion (and it looks rather impressive, I might add, and without the 1-hour limitation unlike their TVs)

(supposedly) improved upscaler -- this one I can't verify because I didn't see the demo between last year's vs this year's model.

my home theatre

post #376 of 412 Old 05-21-2011, 06:22 AM - Thread Starter

Watched a movie via Netflix streaming last night and noticed that my 770 now has an updated Netflix interface. It still doesn't allow you to type in the name of a movie and search, however the interface now displays several categories of movies that you can peruse such as "Recommended Movies" and "New Movies."
post #377 of 412 Old 05-21-2011, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guile9 View Post

Watched a movie via Netflix streaming last night and noticed that my 770 now has an updated Netflix interface. It still doesn't allow you to type in the name of a movie and search, however the interface now displays several categories of movies that you can peruse such as "Recommended Movies" and "New Movies."

Just received my BDP-S770 today and just found out that there is a search function. It pops up when you press the "Options" button while in the Netflix interface. Only searched for one movie so don't know how useful it will be for people who stream Netflix a lot.
post #378 of 412 Old 05-21-2011, 05:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimm View Post
Just received my BDP-S770 today and just found out that there is a search function. It pops up when you press the "Options" button while in the Netflix interface. Only searched for one movie so don't know how useful it will be for people who stream Netflix a lot.
Well I guess Sony will use the newest break in, into their Secure System to once again put off giving Canadians Netflix on their Sony BDP-S770s!

Latest Financial reports for Sony, sees them bleeding money! Guess our wait will be longer now!

Wait over! SONY Canada is now on NetFlix! But my NetFlix is on hold until OPPO gets onboard!
post #379 of 412 Old 05-27-2011, 07:04 PM

Hi,

Can someone please help me with this problem?

I have some AVCHD videos (.mts files) from my HD camcorder. I copied them to my computer, where I can view them on my computer screen. I copied them to an external USB drive, and I can view them on my HDTV when I connect the USB drive to my 770. But, when I try to use my 770 to view these same computer files over a wireless network, I can NOT see them!

The 770 "sees" my computer. I can navigate through folders/directories, but when I get to a folder with video files in it, I get a message that says there are not any compatible files in that folder.

Why can I see these same files when the USB drive is connected directly to the 770, but not when connecting wirelessly to the computer?

It seems like if my networking was not functioning properly, I would not be able to see the computer or any folders. But I can see the computer and the folders, just not the video files within the folders. Also, if the file types were not compatible, then why can I see them via the USB drive?

Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks,

Gregg
post #380 of 412 Old 05-27-2011, 07:49 PM

Liked: 11
You need a DLNA media server/ program.
post #381 of 412 Old 06-18-2011, 08:11 AM - Thread Starter

The new batch of Sony blu-ray players now have Vudu, as well as the PS3. Has anyone received an update on their BDP-S770 that allowed them to update/download Vudu?
post #382 of 412 Old 06-18-2011, 05:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Netflix and Vudu appeared together in Canada
post #383 of 412 Old 06-23-2011, 10:14 AM

Has anyone had a problem with slide shows being sent wireless from laptop (PC and Mac) freezing up on the BDPS770? I bought this machine a few days ago and have everything working well wireless with both a Dell PC and a MacBook Pro. However, when running a photo slide show, it would, sooner or later, freeze up while displaying an image or loading up a new image. When it happens, the machine will not respond to remote control inputs and the only way to regain control of the device is to press the power button for ten to fifteen seconds. Not too happy with that.

Today, I connected it via wire to the router but left it set on wireless setting. I'm not certain but it seems to be loading faster and I ran it for 2.5 hours on one slide show this morning without incident. When connected to the router with a wire and still being operated as "wireless", does the machine automatically default to using the wire vs. wireless? It almost seems that way. Anyone know for sure?
post #384 of 412 Old 07-06-2011, 11:16 AM

Liked: 13
Just to give everyone a heads up incase it has not happened to you.
There was a lightning strike near my house which took out the outside cable module and the router inside my house. Since my S770 was connected directly to the router by ethernet, the strike took out the ethernet connection on the 770. Can no longer connect hardwired. Must connect by WiFi. Hard wired was faster and so connected that way. Everything else works, only ethernet connection effected.
Also took out my Apple Airport Extreme which I must replace.
Wow.
post #385 of 412 Old 08-23-2011, 05:27 AM - Thread Starter

Sony released a new firmware upgrade--M04.R.787 for the BDP-S770 today.

Improvements over firmware version M04.R.752:
Adds the ability to play 3D content using BRAVIA® Internet Video and the Qriocity IPTV service
Adds support for the 3D Experience content using BRAVIA Internet Video
Improves YouTube® connectivity
Adds the ability to play 1080/60p video files produced by Sony® cameras
Improves BD-ROM playability
Improves HDMI® connectivity
Resolves an uncommon issue where the Blu-ray Disc player connects to the Internet even when setting "Do not allow internet connection".
Benefits provided by previous upgrades and included in version M04.R.787:
Resolves an uncommon issue where the xross media bar language may switch to English after the Blu-ray Disc player starts up.
Improves compatibility to enhance interactivity with some BD-ROMs.
post #386 of 412 Old 08-23-2011, 07:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 19
DLNA file compatibility has been greatly increased. Many files that previously did not show up now does and plays
post #387 of 412 Old 08-23-2011, 01:42 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by guile9 View Post

Sony released a new firmware upgrade--M04.R.787 Resolves an uncommon issue where the Blu-ray Disc player connects to the Internet even when setting "Do not allow internet connection".

THIS WAS NOT AN "UNCOMMON ISSUE" Sony. Everyone running firmware version .752 experienced it.....
post #388 of 412 Old 08-24-2011, 01:01 AM

I just did the update today and now the signal to my Onkyo TXSR876 receiver drops after 5 minutes. WTF is up with that? Worked perfectly fine yesterday to watch an entire movie and no it's all messed up!

Is there any way to reverse the firmware to factory or previous version in the limited time I can see and hear the signal from the player?
post #389 of 412 Old 11-30-2011, 09:53 PM

Can anyone please confirm that the BDP-S770 does HD (720 or 1080) resolution over component video outputs for Blu-ray content?

Considering getting this over 2011 models because most/all 2011 models are said to be limited to SD over component. Others have confirmed HD works over component for other 2010 models like the S470; I know the BDP-S770 was a 2010 model but I believe it came out later in the year than the rest of the line, and I'm not completely comfortable taking it for granted that it works the same way. Thanks.
post #390 of 412 Old 12-02-2011, 05:54 PM - Thread Starter

Anyone having an issue connecting to streaming services with their Sony blu-ray players tonight? I have the BDP-S770 and it has always streamed flawlessly until the last couple of weeks when it has started to display the "connection error" message. Fortunately after repeated attempts I've been able to get it to work, that is until tonight. None of the streaming services (Amazon, Netflix, etc) will work. I've attempted the typical trouble-shooting--turn off/on, unplug for several minutes ... nothing has worked. The "Internet Status" on the 770 shows as 100% and running "Network Diagnostics" only states that my connection is working. This leads me to believe that the problem is perhaps related to an issue with the Sony servers.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Sony Bdp S770 3d Blu Ray Disc Player With Wi Fi , Sony Bdps1000es Blu Ray Disc Player , Sony Bdp S760 Blu Ray Player With 7 1 Channel High Definition Surround Wireless N Internet Technolog , Sony Bdp S550 1080p Blu Ray Player
Gear in this thread - S770 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page