New Sony Blu-ray Player--BDP-S770 - Page 14 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #391 of 412 Old 12-02-2011, 05:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yep, I just checked and it's giving me the same notice you're getting about network connection. I also checked with my Bravia TV...same thing!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #392 of 412 Old 12-02-2011, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guile9 View Post

Anyone having an issue connecting to streaming services with their Sony blu-ray players tonight? I have the BDP-S770 and it has always streamed flawlessly until the last couple of weeks when it has started to display the "connection error" message. Fortunately after repeated attempts I've been able to get it to work, that is until tonight. None of the streaming services (Amazon, Netflix, etc) will work. I've attempted the typical trouble-shooting--turn off/on, unplug for several minutes ... nothing has worked. The "Internet Status" on the 770 shows as 100% and running "Network Diagnostics" only states that my connection is working. This leads me to believe that the problem is perhaps related to an issue with the Sony servers.

just checked...all services work perfectly; netflix, updates....etc
post #393 of 412 Old 12-06-2011, 05:39 PM

Hello, new here so if I am looking in the wrong place, but I tried the "Price talk" areas. No soap. Where is a good place to find a really good price on this Blu-ray player?
post #394 of 412 Old 12-06-2011, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenX2011 View Post

Hello, new here so if I am looking in the wrong place, but I tried the "Price talk" areas. No soap. Where is a good place to find a really good price on this Blu-ray player?

welcome... go to the first page and look for the "...price deals sticky"...also BD bargains...look for it. what generally are you looking for?
post #395 of 412 Old 12-20-2011, 10:20 PM

Hello there, i know this question has been asked thousands of times from different BDP models however i never seen a direct answer or solution.

We have had this BP (BDP-S770) for over a year now and it works great, I been trying to get the latest software update threw wireless and it always has some kind of network failure issue.

When checking the status of the connection everything looks fine except the internet connection is FAILED.

When doing a diagnostic check for connection it says network has DHCP enabled.

So i'm out of ideas how i can fix this, is there a way I can reset the IP address assigned to the BP? Any advice given will be much obliged, thank you.
post #396 of 412 Old 12-21-2011, 12:43 AM
AVS Club Gold

if downloading updates it's best to use hard wired connections wireless can be to flaky in some cases...

bdplayers can be brought for as little $125, though feature set can me quite lackluster and basic, if you want feature sets you will need to spend money and work from there out as you go up in models the more feature sets you may get..
post #397 of 412 Old 12-22-2011, 09:25 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by mystic_sniper28 View Post

if downloading updates it's best to use hard wired connections wireless can be to flaky in some cases...

bdplayers can be brought for as little $125, though feature set can me quite lackluster and basic, if you want feature sets you will need to spend money and work from there out as you go up in models the more feature sets you may get..

Also, try downloading the update file from Sony Support website and burn to CD-RW disk.

Nero Burning ROM works great for this.
post #398 of 412 Old 12-22-2011, 03:20 PM
AVS Club Gold

does the 770 have a hidden area that can be accessed by a key code???
post #399 of 412 Old 12-24-2011, 05:00 PM

Would there be a reason why my completely updated 770 does not have VUDU?
post #400 of 412 Old 12-25-2011, 04:10 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rejeme View Post

Would there be a reason why my completely updated 770 does not have VUDU?

My updated 770 also does not have VUDU. I emailed Sony customer support to ask them when we could expect to get VUDU on the 770; however they have not provided a response to any of my emails. I also asked this question during a chat session with a Sony tech rep, the rep stated "any day now" ... however this was over a month ago so I'm not optimistic that we'll ever see VUDU.

Unfortunately it appears that Sony has stopped providing "enhancement" updates for the 770 and is only focused on supporting the current models.
post #401 of 412 Old 12-25-2011, 08:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleyz2021 View Post

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-BDP-S770-Blu-ray-Player-Wi-Fi/dp/B003X1EOHS/

quick check, buying this for my son, any better deals out there?

A quick Google search shows that Amazon has the best price for the 770. Although you might get a better deal at another online retailer if you are able to find an online coupon/code to lower the price.

As a 770 owner, I highly recommend this blu-ray player ... you can't go wrong with the 770! I would be remiss though if I didn't mention that Amazon has the 780 (the current year Sony flagship blu-ray player) for ~$16 less. I prefer the 770 as I believe it's more solidly constructed; however the 780 is also a great player and has received as many (if not more) great reviews from a number of websites.
post #402 of 412 Old 12-25-2011, 08:53 AM

Quote:

BDP-S780 for $15 LESS and comes with Harry Potter DH1 & DH2 in 3D! I own both the 770 & 780...both excellent but would definately go for newer tech..
post #403 of 412 Old 12-25-2011, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I can't get over how the price of the now discontinued S770 has spiraled upwards! What a deal!!!

I purchased mine back in Sept of last year for $190/delivered!
post #404 of 412 Old 12-31-2011, 08:28 PM

Liked: 12
Hello all and I hope you guys are having a Happy New Year! I'm new to this thread but a long time owner of this BD player. I'm wondering if you guys are willing to share or recommend best settings of your following screen settings, mine is this:

Screen Format: Original
DVD Aspect Ratio: Letterbox
Cinema Conversion Mode: Auto
Output Video Format: HDMI - Auto resolution
YCbCr/RGB (HDMI): Auto
HDMI Deep Color Output: Auto

My BD player is connected via HDMI to my STR-DN1020 AVR and again from AVR to my newly bought TV Sony 55 HX 929 via HDMI. I like to watch mainly BR movies and 3D BR movies. I rarely watch streaming or SD videos. I have most of my settings on auto because to tell you the truth I have no idea what the other settings
mean and so any help or suggestions on the settings to get the best video out of this BR player would be really appreciated. Thank you.
post #405 of 412 Old 01-02-2012, 09:53 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Hi all,
I am having some issues with Amazon Instant video. Specifically on videos with 5.1 sound. (Watching season 6 of Dr. Who now). 2.0 videos play fine.
This unit is connected to a Pioneer Elite VSX-52 receiver.

I am not sure if this is an issue with my receiver or the Blu-Ray player.

With 5.1 videos, the A/V receiver stays in Stereo mode and I seem to only get sound from the left and right speakers. So I get no voices as they would be coming out of the center channel. If I switch inputs on my receiver and then go back, the receiver switches to PCM and I get all 6 channels (5 + sub).

Is there a setting that I should focus on? How can I get it to bitstream 5.1 from Amazon? When I put in a DVD (or switch a blu-ray to Dolby Digital) my A/V receiver recognizes the stream as DD and plays fine. I am not sure why with Amazon it is uses PCM. ALso, not sure why my receiver doesn't id the PCM signal until I switch inputs.

Thanks.

Dino
post #406 of 412 Old 01-02-2012, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinoT View Post

Hi all,
I am having some issues with Amazon Instant video. Specifically on videos with 5.1 sound. (Watching season 6 of Dr. Who now). 2.0 videos play fine.
This unit is connected to a Pioneer Elite VSX-52 receiver.

I am not sure if this is an issue with my receiver or the Blu-Ray player.

With 5.1 videos, the A/V receiver stays in Stereo mode and I seem to only get sound from the left and right speakers. So I get no voices as they would be coming out of the center channel. If I switch inputs on my receiver and then go back, the receiver switches to PCM and I get all 6 channels (5 + sub).

Is there a setting that I should focus on? How can I get it to bitstream 5.1 from Amazon? When I put in a DVD (or switch a blu-ray to Dolby Digital) my A/V receiver recognizes the stream as DD and plays fine. I am not sure why with Amazon it is uses PCM. ALso, not sure why my receiver doesn't id the PCM signal until I switch inputs.

Thanks.

Have you tried setting the BD player "BD Audio Mix" to Off and "Audio (HDMI)" to Auto.
post #407 of 412 Old 01-03-2012, 05:12 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by edtorious View Post

Have you tried setting the BD player "BD Audio Mix" to Off and "Audio (HDMI)" to Auto.

Thanks for the response.
Yes, those are my current settings which work fine for every sound format I use from physical media. TrueHD, DTSMA and Dolby Digital all bitstream just fine from the player to my receiver. For some reason with Amazon instant video it uses 5 channel PCM (rather than bitsream). Which would be ok, but my A/V receiver doesn't recognize it as 5 channel PCM unless I change inputs. It only sees it as 2 channel PCM.

Hopefully this is a bug and not some problem with my player.

Thanks.

Dino
post #408 of 412 Old 01-08-2012, 05:29 AM

Has anyone had any issues with the 770 optical drives spinning too fast? This player will play everthing so it technically works but....when I play a blu ray, the player may spin so fast, it drowns out my 5.1 If i put in a dvd its quiet and normal. A blu ray will be quiet one minute and two seconds later making this loud noise like the the disc is spinning at 100mph.

I do have 10 months left on the extended service plan. Im just scared if i sent it back, will they just the send me a crappy referbished model that will crap out later. Ive not had good luck with referbished items.

Does anyone know what the 2 year extended plan covers?

Any thoughs?
post #409 of 412 Old 01-08-2012, 07:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 54
Mine has become very noisy on most blu-rays. It shakes the whole cabinet, sounds like the disc is off-centre or spindle bearing is worn out. Some don't for example DVE.

I wonder what the expected life is with these ultra-high speeds. I'm sure it's not like a CD player that would last for 20 years.

- AVStefan
If you like someone's post, just use the Like button to give thanks.
post #410 of 412 Old 01-08-2012, 03:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVfile View Post

Mine has become very noisy on most blu-rays. It shakes the whole cabinet, sounds like the disc is off-centre or spindle bearing is worn out. Some don't for example DVE.

I wonder what the expected life is with these ultra-high speeds. I'm sure it's not like a CD player that would last for 20 years.

I've had mine for ~1.5 years and haven't experienced this problem. I watch an average of 2-3 blu-rays per week.
post #411 of 412 Old 01-11-2012, 05:14 PM

Does anybody here upgraded from this player to Oppo BDP-93 and noticed any difference when it comes to PQ? I'm thinking of upgrading and want to know if it's worth it?
post #412 of 412 Old 05-02-2012, 10:26 AM

Hello there I can use some quick advise on what proper audio format I should use on mp4's to stream threw a USB thumb drive.

I just recently discovered I can convert mkv movies or download them them as mp4 to play on the blu-ray player (I know old news). Anyways I was testing a file that the video looked fantastic but the audio sounded very low and just in stereo, the file itself is in AAC format. Is it possible that maybe converting all my future videos into lets say AC3 will allow a full surround sound play back?

Please advice on my options, I use a mac so the best program to use would be handbrake with a lot of options for me to choose. Thank you.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Sony Bdp S770 3d Blu Ray Disc Player With Wi Fi , Sony Bdps1000es Blu Ray Disc Player , Sony Bdp S760 Blu Ray Player With 7 1 Channel High Definition Surround Wireless N Internet Technolog , Sony Bdp S550 1080p Blu Ray Player
Gear in this thread - S770 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page