post #91 of 122 Old 03-31-2011, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

So have you tried the latest firmware (20110110_...)? I would imagine almost no one is running older firmware like you because of the nag screen you get if your firmware is out of date.

No, I haven't tried it yet, but since the February release reportedly disables the ALL REGION mode of BD playback, I was guessing most here probably stopped at or before December's. I was thinking that "feature" would have been the primary lure of this player for people here. However, since no-one has contradicted my HDMI audio problem with that release, perhaps you're right and everyone indeed went to February's? Still, if they had experienced it, surely they would mention it?

The tech support guy at Insignia Community Forum said he was trying to get the release previous to December's for me to download, I'm hoping that works out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 122 Old 04-11-2011, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 279
The latest Best Buy ad shows the NS-BRDVD4 on clearance. If any BB employees in the know are watching this thread, is this the end of the line for Insignia blu-ray players, or is a new model coming? Prices of vastly more capable name brand players are so low now, I don't see how the Insignia house brand can complete anymore.
post #93 of 122 Old 04-12-2011, 09:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Just curious, but does this unit have mlb.tv streaming?
post #94 of 122 Old 04-12-2011, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

post #95 of 122 Old 04-13-2011, 09:42 AM

Liked: 10
I think the manual states that for DivX/XviD, it doesn't support GMC or Qpel, so if it was encoded without those options, it will be OK
post #96 of 122 Old 04-13-2011, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorS View Post

No, I haven't tried it yet, but since the February release reportedly disables the ALL REGION mode of BD playback, I was guessing most here probably stopped at or before December's. I was thinking that "feature" would have been the primary lure of this player for people here. However, since no-one has contradicted my HDMI audio problem with that release, perhaps you're right and everyone indeed went to February's? Still, if they had experienced it, surely they would mention it?

The tech support guy at Insignia Community Forum said he was trying to get the release previous to December's for me to download, I'm hoping that works out.

Well, I tried the February release and it made no difference. No copy of the previous version has shown up, and so, I guess it's time to return the player.
post #97 of 122 Old 05-20-2011, 02:03 AM

Hey guys,

I am looking at picking up the Insignia NS-BRDVD4-CA. I was wondering if the latest firmware allowed you to do searches in Netflix, or if you can only view the categories. Thanks.

Also in the Features section it mentions that this unit can upconvert DVDs but in the Video Features section that is contradicted:

(Standard DVD Upconversion - HDMI: No)

So for those who have this unit, can it upconvert DVDs to stellar 1080p-like quality?
post #98 of 122 Old 06-02-2011, 12:04 PM

I just received my NS-BRDVD4 (refurbished off Best Buy's site) and I can confirm that it works region free with the tray open - 9113 trick. I havent tried netflix or pandora but so far I am totally happy with a $70 region free player for all my UK blurays!
post #99 of 122 Old 06-02-2011, 12:07 PM

The Netflix menu has improved and has the search function. So it is as functional as the menu on the Wii.
post #100 of 122 Old 06-25-2011, 12:05 PM

I've read the new firmwares disable Region Free. Is there the old firmware available anywhere so if I buy this I can revert back to the region free firmware?

Thanks

Edit: I see people asked about it above, is there any news on this?
post #101 of 122 Old 07-02-2011, 08:24 PM

I got one of these brdvd4 from BB yesterday. Setup was easy. Today I started to test some discs. "Grease", I had to raise the volume on the TV to #47 jsut to hears the movie. Out of the cable box I only need 15-20.
I tried some other movies and the samething, very low sound.
HDMI cable from br player to TV.
PCM is 48. Is this player sick or am I missing something? It was an OB without a manual but I downloaded one from the net..

My old Zenith always put out good sound.

Guess I need to take it back.
post #102 of 122 Old 07-05-2011, 08:23 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Last region switchable firmware. (49,426,432 bytes)
http://www.4shared.com/file/qRak_U8L..._B083_022.html

(Press the setup button and then enter the code 9113. A sub menu "configure player" pops up on the left. From there you can change the regions for DVD and BD.)

You can buy refurbs on ebay for under $60.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT
post #103 of 122 Old 07-05-2011, 09:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by junglalien View Post
Last region switchable firmware. (49,426,432 bytes)
http://www.4shared.com/file/qRak_U8L..._B083_022.html

(Press the setup button and then enter the code 9113. A sub menu "configure player" pops up on the left. From there you can change the regions for DVD and BD.)

You can buy refurbs on ebay for under $60.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT
Looks interesting.

2 Quick questions:

1) Can you set DVD to be all region without changing every time you play a different region disc?

2) If the player already has a later version FW can you flash to an earlier version?
post #104 of 122 Old 07-05-2011, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Don't know the answer to 1, but you can load any earlier firmware version anytime. Many brands won't do that, but Insignia does.

And thanks a million Junglalien. I know many people have been searching high and low for this firmware.
post #105 of 122 Old 07-10-2011, 07:37 PM

There's a new player on Best Buy's website called the Dynex DX-WBRDVD1. This could be the NS-BRDVD4's replacement, unless Insignia is planning to release a newer model. Going by what's in the pdf manual, the new model adds wifi. There are fewer buttons on the player - Eject, Play/Pause, Power. No component output jacks. DVD-RAM support.

The remote looks similar in design to one used for the Patriot Box Office media player. There are dedicated buttons on the remote for Netflix and CinemaNow.

Product page on Dynex website
http://www.dynexproducts.com/product...X-WBRDVD1.html

Best Buy's product page for the Dynex DX-WBRDVD1
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Dynex%26...&skuId=2333036

Sorry if this is off-topic, but the menu navigation on this new Dynex is similar in appearance to the Insignia NS-BRDVD4/NS-WBRDVD2.
post #106 of 122 Old 07-29-2011, 08:19 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Success! I ordered a NS-BRDVD4 refurb from GearXS for $55. It came with a newer firmware and the region switch wouldn't work. I downgraded to the firmware I uploaded and now I can switch regions. It is also available on ebay again for $58.88 or make an offer.

(Press the setup button and then enter the code 9113 on the remote. A sub menu "configure player" pops up on the left. From there you can change the regions for DVD and BD.)
post #107 of 122 Old 08-04-2011, 11:30 AM

Just picked up a "used" one of these on cowboom for $45. They are going quick.

2 quick q's that I didnt see asked yet (but only did a quick skim prolly missed it)

Can this play any type of H.264? (from USB etc)

Can this play Xvids off a network share thu the ethernet connection?

Thanks
post #108 of 122 Old 11-02-2011, 11:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Insignia NS-BRDVD4 Firmware.rar (259MB) - Direct link / MegaUpload mirror

I've compiled the firmware versions that I've found online, including through posts earlier in this thread. Thought someone else may want them. Note: CA and US cannot be crossflashed, even if you replace the identifier files to try to trick it. The file listing follows.

Code:
.\\Connect Bluray Firmware Inst Dec 2010.pdf
.\\CA\\2010 Oct (with region hack)\\20100918_NSBRDVD4CA_BBY_B089_017_19.iso
.\\CA\\2011 Feb\\20110113_BBY_NSBRDVD4CA_BBY_B089_32028_27.iso
.\\CA\\2011 July\\20110614_NSBRDVD4CA_BBY_B089_33022_32.iso
.\\US\\2010 Dec (PKG_DVD_3_2_022_RC_21_BestBuy) (last with region hack)\\20101015_NSBRDVD4_BBY_B083_022_21.iso
.\\US\\2011 Feb\\20110110_BBY_NSBRDVD4_BBY_B083_32028_27.iso
.\\US\\2011 June (PKG_DVD_3_3_022_02_DYN_32_BestBuy)\\20110610_NSBRDVD4_BBY_B083_33022_32.iso
post #109 of 122 Old 11-17-2011, 12:29 AM
AVS Special Member

i got one of these open box units from cowboom for $35 shipped as an extra player. trying it out now for the first time with twilight new moon (don't hate; catching up since friends want to go see the new one tomorrow). I'm seeing massive amounts of banding in the image. Basically the outline around every face is banded in green as it goes to shadow. As they turn their face and the light changes, the banding halo flows along with it.

I already turned off deep color, film mode and set to 1080p fixed and turned off all processing modes in the tv. Never saw anything on my regular player (PS3).

Is this the norm for this player?

Edit: just switched the disc over to my PS3 (same setup hdmi through receiver and tv) and the picture is loads better. the banding is gone and everything is sharper and has better contrast and color. given that the signal should be digital all the way through, I'm not clear on how this could happen.

Second Edit: After turning off the Insignia and then trying another movie (Unstoppable) that looked fine, I tried New Moon again and the banding was gone. I think maybe some settings (maybe the deep color) require a power-cycle to fully reset or maybe it needs that power cycle to renegotiate with the receiver or tv. I still think the PS3 looks better but the Insignia is not objectionable now.
post #110 of 122 Old 06-04-2012, 06:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamb110 View Post

I just received my NS-BRDVD4 (refurbished off Best Buy's site) and I can confirm that it works region free with the tray open - 9113 trick. I havent tried netflix or pandora but so far I am totally happy with a $70 region free player for all my UK blurays!

I have a couple of UK blu-rays (Life and Planet Earth Special Edition) and this player looks like a solution to my problem (my Sony S390 won't play them). I'm wondering a few things before I buy one:

1. [I have firmware now, think I'm OK there...] I presume I'm going to need a firmware that allows region free play, and my reading of the thread so far indicates this is Dec. 2011 and previous. Can someone provide me with that firmware? The only ones I see at Insignia are the current and previous, the oldest being June 2011.
- -
EDIT: Post #102 here links a 4Shared site hosting the last firmware that supports region free, and I registered and downloaded the file: 20101015_NSBRDVD4_BBY_B083_022_21.iso
- -
2. There's evidently a persistent nag screen to update firmware if you don't have the most current one. How do you deal with this if you want region free capability? Don't have it ethernet connected? Only use it occasionally and have a different player for regular usage? Ignore the nag screens?

3. How does this compare with other players for regular usage? Should I consider returning my Sony S390 and having the Insignia NS-BRDVD4 as my regular player?

4. Does the component outputs connection of this player provide a picture as good as the HDMI?

5. There's a seller of multiple "refurbished" Insignia NS-BRDVD4's at ebay who says in his listing that they don't play blu-ray disks, only DVD's. Is he in error (I sent him a question yesterday, he hasn't responded yet)? At the bottom of his listing it says:

The units DO NOT PLAY BLU_RAY DISC in the tray.
The disc tray in the player is for DVD, it upconverts to 1080p like blu-ray and the player streams blu-ray from NETFLIX, CINEMANOW AND PANDORA. It is BD Live.
Player will not play blu-ray disc.

EBAY LISTING
- - - -
Is it conceivable this seller removed the drives from the players and replaced them with others? I heard that the players feature the same drive that's in the Oppo 93, a good drive, so I guess it's possible, but that would be nasty.
post #111 of 122 Old 06-05-2012, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muse View Post

5. There's a seller of multiple "refurbished" Insignia NS-BRDVD4's at ebay who says in his listing that they don't play blu-ray disks, only DVD's. Is he in error (I sent him a question yesterday, he hasn't responded yet)? At the bottom of his listing it says:

The units DO NOT PLAY BLU_RAY DISC in the tray.
The disc tray in the player is for DVD, it upconverts to 1080p like blu-ray and the player streams blu-ray from NETFLIX, CINEMANOW AND PANDORA. It is BD Live.
Player will not play blu-ray disc.

EBAY LISTING
- - - -

I think the seller is pointing out the blu-ray laser diode is dead within the drive, but the DVD laser is still functional so you can still use the Insignia as a DVD player. I've seen several auctions of Insignia, LG, and Panasonic players with the same problem in the last few months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muse View Post

Is it conceivable this seller removed the drives from the players and replaced them with others? I heard that the players feature the same drive that's in the Oppo 93, a good drive, so I guess it's possible, but that would be nasty.

Until someone actually rips out the Insignia's drive and confirms it works in the Oppo 93, I highly doubt this would work. It is possible to swap in another drive from an identical machine if you spend the time pulling both players apart, but some sellers can't bothered. I don't have answers for your other questions.
post #112 of 122 Old 06-23-2012, 09:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 26
Has anyone tried the menu hack with a Harmony remote? Do I need a factory remote at all?

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
post #113 of 122 Old 06-24-2012, 06:40 PM
AVS Special Member

I can't think of any reason a harmony wouldn't work. There are many cheap universals that will work too like the $9 RCA RCRP05B.
post #114 of 122 Old 06-28-2012, 05:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 26
Got it working. Not a bad investment for a multi-region machine for $28.50 (shipped) off eBay.tongue.gif

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
post #115 of 122 Old 06-29-2012, 04:11 AM
AVS Special Member

The first Insignia NS-BRDVD4 I got was a brick. I sent it back and the seller sent me another. That seemed fine, two nights ago I played a BD and a DVD on it, listening to the audio from the L/R RCA jacks, which I have hooked up to the Tape-In jack of a small simple old receiver whose headphone jack has my earbuds... no problemo.

So, having established that this one works, I go to do the FW update last night. Reason I got this in the first place is that I have a couple of titles that my Sony S390 won't play, UK PAL (I believe), Life and Planet Earth series, bought from Amazon UK.

I install what I'm told is the last version of the FW that supports the region free menu activation: 20101015_NSBRDVD4_BBY_B083_022_21.iso. However, after doing so I don't have audio from the L/R analog audio jacks. I have no other versions of the FW, so I connect the Insignia to the internet via ethernet and install the latest FW: PKG_DVD_3_3_022_02_DYN_33_BestBuy. The version that was on the player when I got it was evidently the previous one, PKG_DVD_3_3_022_02_DYN_32_BestBuy, compare the versions:

PKG_DVD_3_3_022_02_DYN_33_BestBuy [updated off internet yesterday]
PKG_DVD_3_3_022_02_DYN_32_BestBuy [originally on player when I received it a few days ago]
PKG_DVD_3_2_022_02_RC_21_BestBuy [provided as region free version, linked in one of the threads on this player]

Still, no audio from the L/R audio jacks. White noise during the update, afterward no audio either with BD or DVD's.

I flashed back the region free enabling FW, still no audio. I don't have a copy of the FW that was on it originally, so I can't flash it back, evidently the version previous to the latest. But with either of the other 2 versions I have no audio but even without the region free setting code having been applied, the Life and Planet Earth BDs seem to play fine, just no audio. Same with a plain DVD. Using the region free version and setting the BD region to B (which is what I think the Planet Earth set is), still does not provide analog audio. Sometimes I hear some relatively faint crackling in the earbuds.

I have to think that somehow the FW update process screwed up the player. Maybe there's a way to enable the audio. I looked in the menus, tried everything that halfway made sense to me including returning to factory defaults. Of course, I got the idea that I could try the digital audio, and ran optical S/PDIF to my AV receiver, and indeed that is working. And this is on the LATEST FW, not the region free firmware, playing the Planet Earth that my USA Sony S390 could not play. I'm baffled. I have my workaround for playing the disks (I can get my earbuds on my receiver's headphone out jack), but this isn't what I anticipated. Normally I don't even turn on my receiver when I watch things from my players. Comments, help much appreciated!
post #116 of 122 Old 07-22-2012, 05:56 PM

Hi, I am new to this forum. I was wondering if anyone could give me advice concerning the BRDVD4? I have this hooked up to my Westinghouse LVM-42w2 monitor, which should accept 1080p output. However, the BRDVD4 will not allow me to select 1080p as output. The only resolution options it will allow when I connect it to the monitor HDMI input is 1080i, 720p, and 480p and HDMI auto (which gives 1080i when I play a bluray). It will not let me select HDMI preferred format (says it is not available).

Browsing the internet, I see there is glitch with the Westinghouse LVM-42w2 which doesn't allow it to input 1080p by the HDMI input, but the same discussions say that the DVI inputs definitely take 1080P natively. However, when I connect the BRDVD4 to my monitor DVI inputs using an HDMI-DVI cable, I don't get to select any resolutions (the only option is HDMI auto, which gives a pretty crappy picture). As with the HDMI input, the HDMI preferred format is not available.

I guess my questions is can anyone think of anything I can do to output 1080p to my supposed native 1080p monitor? I called Westinghouse, and they were of course useless, they just said it should work. Insignia was similarly clueless.

The picture is pretty nice with 1080i, but I think the monitor is distorting the signal a bit, since when I put on the Disney WOW calibration bluray it looks like 1080i is vertically stretched a little (the top and bottom of the image is cut off by 2%) I guess from overscan?
post #117 of 122 Old 08-20-2012, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styln View Post

Ran into problems playing downloaded .avi files. Some play well and some display "Filename.avi: File Format Not Supported!" Check with VLC they all claim to be MPEG-4/DivX. Since I'm not a video codec/format expert, that's about the extent of my video toolbox. If someone will suggest other tools, I'll load 'em up and give them a try to discover what the difference is between the files that play and the ones that don't. Not sure what's up because the files play on the computer and my "old" Oppo 970 HD univeral DVD player.

Try the Freemake Video Converter for converting MPEG/AVI etc. files to DVD and burning. I've been using Freemake for a couple of years and love it!

I also have an OPPO 971 player and it will play almost any disc that Freemake burns on my PC (even rewriteable discs).

"It's funny how the colours of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen."

- - Alex DeLarge, A Clockwork Orange
post #118 of 122 Old 08-20-2012, 03:02 PM

FYI to all, Best Buy now has the NS-BRDVD4 for $39.99 (refurbished). I picked up one for a friend in Springfield, MO whose player was acting up (plus, the remote sounded like a bag of Skittles over the phone!). As this unit does not come with cables I ordered a HDMI & triple composite cable for her from Mopnoprice.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Insignia%26%23153%3B+-+Refurbished+Blu-ray+Player/2097336.p?id=1218309065352&skuid=2097336

"It's funny how the colours of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen."

post #119 of 122 Old 08-21-2012, 01:47 PM

I ordered the NS-BRDVD4 for my friend and it was shipped today. Does anyone know if it will play DVD+RW discs? I have a number of these and my OPPO does not like them so I was hoping to burn a few items for my friend on those discs. If they won't work then I have other non-rewriteable -R discs that I can use.

Edit: I just found the Insignia page for the NS-BRDVD4 and it says that +R/RW is a playable format.smile.gif
http://www.insigniaproducts.com/products/blu-ray-dvd-players-recorders/NS-BRDVD4.html

post #120 of 122 Old 08-22-2012, 06:32 PM

After spending over an hour on the phone with 800-BEST-BUY in an attempt to purchase a Geek Squad Service Plan I finally called my local BB Geek Squad to see if I could add a Plan to an existing order. Yes I can, I was told but after I gave her the BRDVD4's SKU she said that a Service plan for this refurbished player was not available. So now my friend has only the 30 day warranty, which is effective from the day delivered (8/23). Luckily, there is a BB store about 8 miles from her home.

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Insignia , Insignia Ns Brdvd4 Full 1080p Blu Ray Player With Netflix , Blu Ray Players
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page