Originally Posted by lamb110
I just received my NS-BRDVD4 (refurbished off Best Buy's site) and I can confirm that it works region free with the tray open - 9113 trick. I havent tried netflix or pandora but so far I am totally happy with a $70 region free player for all my UK blurays!
I have a couple of UK blu-rays (Life and Planet Earth Special Edition) and this player looks like a solution to my problem (my Sony S390 won't play them). I'm wondering a few things before I buy one:
1. [I have firmware now, think I'm OK there...] I presume I'm going to need a firmware that allows region free play, and my reading of the thread so far indicates this is Dec. 2011 and previous. Can someone provide me with that firmware? The only ones I see at Insignia are the current and previous, the oldest being June 2011.
EDIT: Post #102 here links a 4Shared site hosting the last firmware that supports region free, and I registered and downloaded the file: 20101015_NSBRDVD4_BBY_B083_022_21.iso
2. There's evidently a persistent nag screen to update firmware if you don't have the most current one. How do you deal with this if you want region free capability? Don't have it ethernet connected? Only use it occasionally and have a different player for regular usage? Ignore the nag screens?
3. How does this compare with other players for regular usage? Should I consider returning my Sony S390 and having the Insignia NS-BRDVD4 as my regular player?
4. Does the component outputs connection of this player provide a picture as good as the HDMI?
5. There's a seller of multiple "refurbished" Insignia NS-BRDVD4's at ebay who says in his listing that they don't play blu-ray disks, only DVD's. Is he in error (I sent him a question yesterday, he hasn't responded yet)? At the bottom of his listing it says:
The units DO NOT PLAY BLU_RAY DISC in the tray.
The disc tray in the player is for DVD, it upconverts to 1080p like blu-ray and the player streams blu-ray from NETFLIX, CINEMANOW AND PANDORA. It is BD Live.
Player will not play blu-ray disc.EBAY LISTING
- - - -
Is it conceivable this seller removed the drives from the players and replaced them with others? I heard that the players feature the same drive that's in the Oppo 93, a good drive, so I guess it's possible, but that would be nasty.