Just picked up the new Insignia NS-BRDVD4 from Best Buy - Page 5 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #121 of 126 Old 08-02-2013, 11:44 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11

Have to bring this thread up.
I picked up a refurb at BestBuy a couple years ago as my backup player, mainly plays some of my 1080/50i concert BDs. Yesterday I accidently put a BD-R with some 1080P mkv BD rips burned on it. And the player picked up the mkv files and played flawlessly. It even bit-streams the mkv file’s DTS audio track to my receiver. The amazing thing is it outputs an overall better picture than from my HTPC. Have to share how a hidden gem it is.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 126 Old 08-02-2013, 04:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Mine developed a problem wherein the stereo audio stopped working. It happened after a firmware update. Flashing back the former firmware did not fix this issue. It still puts out S/PDIF audio, but usually I listen to stereo analog line out from my players, so this is a major inconvenience to me because it means I have to use my receiver to get audio, something I don't normally do (I use headphones to watch movies). Does Best Buy still sell these as refurbs?
post #123 of 126 Old 05-09-2017, 08:56 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgohan View Post
Insignia NS-BRDVD4 Firmware.rar (259MB) - Direct link / MegaUpload mirror

I've compiled the firmware versions that I've found online, including through posts earlier in this thread. Thought someone else may want them. Note: CA and US cannot be crossflashed, even if you replace the identifier files to try to trick it. The file listing follows.

Code:
.\\Connect Bluray Firmware Inst Dec 2010.pdf .\\CA\\2010 Oct (with region hack)\\20100918_NSBRDVD4CA_BBY_B089_017_19.iso .\\CA\\2011 Feb\\20110113_BBY_NSBRDVD4CA_BBY_B089_32028_27.iso .\\CA\\2011 July\\20110614_NSBRDVD4CA_BBY_B089_33022_32.iso .\\US\\2010 Dec (PKG_DVD_3_2_022_RC_21_BestBuy) (last with region hack)\\20101015_NSBRDVD4_BBY_B083_022_21.iso .\\US\\2011 Feb\\20110110_BBY_NSBRDVD4_BBY_B083_32028_27.iso .\\US\\2011 June (PKG_DVD_3_3_022_02_DYN_32_BestBuy)\\20110610_NSBR DVD4_BBY_B083_33022_32.iso
Hi! Sorry for the out of the blue reply, but I'm hoping you can help me. I'm looking for the older firmware for the Insignia NS-BRDVD4-CA (the Canadian variant) so I can watch Region B discs on it. This post from back in 2011 is the only mention I can find of anyone having kept copies of the different versions of the Canadian firmware. Unfortunately the links to the RAR file you compiled are both long dead. Is there any chance you still have that RAR file kicking around somewhere and would be able to send me a link via a filesharing service or even emailing it to me directly if I give you my email address? Or if you don't have the whole RAR file anymore, then just 20100918_NSBRDVD4CA_BBY_B089_017_19.iso which I believe you indicated is the only firmware for the CA variant that has the region hack. I would REALLY appreciate it!

Thanks so much in advance!

ps. I already sent you a PM, but I'm not sure how notifications work so I thought I would try replying to your original thread as a plan B

post #124 of 126 Old 05-15-2017, 09:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhaigh View Post
ps. I already sent you a PM, but I'm not sure how notifications work so I thought I would try replying to your original thread as a plan B
I thought I had PM notifications set up to email me, but I only got an email saying that I was quoted in a thread.

Unfortunately, I don't appear to have these files on any of the hard drives connected to my main computer. It's possible they're on some other drive sitting in a cupboard, but that would be a long shot. I think I considered my website space a safe place to store the RAR and then delete it off my PC. Not sure what happened to that web storage. It was run by a friend who worked for a hosting company; she may have lost access when she moved on.

LG B7 (OLED65B7P, 2017 -- bought 2017/05/31 & I couldn't be happier so far!) | Panasonic CX850 (TC-55CX850U, 2015 -- bought OLED to replace it due to poor off-angle, weird HDR colors, etc.)
UHD: Philips BDP7501 | HD: PS3, WD TV Live
Denon AVR-890 (2009)
post #125 of 126 Old 05-26-2017, 01:34 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgohan View Post
I thought I had PM notifications set up to email me, but I only got an email saying that I was quoted in a thread.

Unfortunately, I don't appear to have these files on any of the hard drives connected to my main computer. It's possible they're on some other drive sitting in a cupboard, but that would be a long shot. I think I considered my website space a safe place to store the RAR and then delete it off my PC. Not sure what happened to that web storage. It was run by a friend who worked for a hosting company; she may have lost access when she moved on.
Too bad, but thank you for trying! I've been trying to find a region-free bluray player and had a lead on an insignia which is why I was asking. Apparently Seiki models also have multi-region functionality, so I may try to hunt one of those down instead. All the best!
post #126 of 126 Old 05-26-2017, 07:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muse View Post
Mine developed a problem wherein the stereo audio stopped working. It happened after a firmware update. Flashing back the former firmware did not fix this issue. It still puts out S/PDIF audio, but usually I listen to stereo analog line out from my players, so this is a major inconvenience to me because it means I have to use my receiver to get audio, something I don't normally do (I use headphones to watch movies). Does Best Buy still sell these as refurbs?
I wound up giving it to my sister, who would never use S/PDIF and didn't have a BR player. I picked up another online and use it for Region 2 disks, I have a few. My quibble right now with this is that turning on/off subtitles appears to be ridiculously stupid and inefficient. My Sony's subtitle button simply turns subtitles to the next setting. For instance, if in the Off setting, pressing the button makes it go to the next one, in this instance:

English
Spanish
French
Off

With the Insignia it does a wacky setting thing where you have to go into a very ill designed confusing menu, it's just WTF is this when you are engrossed in a movie. I figure the only way I can dodge this catastrophe is to program some macros in my remote.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Insignia , Insignia Ns Brdvd4 Full 1080p Blu Ray Player With Netflix , Blu Ray Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page