Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 115 Old 03-01-2011, 02:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBTO View Post

Yes but only over HDMI. You will need an HDMI 1.4 AVR to extract the HD audio from the stream since it changes the location of the audio information from where it would normally be for a non-3D stream. An HDMI 1.3 AVR won't be able to get the audio when the player is in 3D mode.

Thank you, I'm going with the 110 most likely.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 115 Old 03-12-2011, 08:10 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello all - Anyone had issues with intermittent thin white horizontal lines flashing during blu-ray playback? (the lines almost look like flashing cracks, or missing info....)

Just bought this unit, and had this problem since the beginning. At first I thought it might be the HDMI cable since it was happening with all my blu-ray discs, but managed to fix the problem for normal, 2D playback simply by enabling 24p output in the DMP's settings (my TV supports it).

Unfortunately, the problem persists in 3D mode, and I can't figure out why. I do notice that the player and the TV default to playing back in "Full HD 3D" (as opposed to checkerboard or side by side modes), since my TV supposedly supports that, as opposed to indicating "24p". Not sure whether this is related to the issue....

Any thoughts or suggestions on how to address this would be greatly appreciated since I'm a relative novice - thanks!!

(I'm using a DMP BDT100 with a Panasonic VT25, and a Marantz SR7005 receiver, if that helps).

Cheers,
Jake
post #93 of 115 Old 03-13-2011, 11:41 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKS72 View Post

Hello all - Anyone had issues with intermittent thin white horizontal lines flashing during blu-ray playback? (the lines almost look like flashing cracks, or missing info....)

Just bought this unit, and had this problem since the beginning. At first I thought it might be the HDMI cable since it was happening with all my blu-ray discs, but managed to fix the problem for normal, 2D playback simply by enabling 24p output in the DMP's settings (my TV supports it).

Jake

Jake,
It sound's like an HDMI problem. When you send a full HD 3D signal, it takes up the most digital bandwidth (higher bit rate), and conversely, a 2D, 24p signal requires considerably less bandwidth (lower bit rate - less than half that of a 2D 1080p60 signal), which might explain why the former fails and the latter works.

I had a situation that would work fine with 1080i, but showed what you're describing, as soon as I went to 1080p which takes about twice the bandwidth. That was solved with better cabling.

How long is your HDMI cable? You didn't mention changing out the cable (preferably with a different brand) - did you try that? It may be your player, but I've found HDMI to be very finicky in some cases, so I would look there first.

It could also be a receiver issue - try bypassing your Marantz and see if it makes a difference.
post #94 of 115 Old 03-13-2011, 03:20 PM

Quote:

Jake,
It sound's like an HDMI problem. When you send a full HD 3D signal, it takes up the most digital bandwidth (higher bit rate), and conversely, a 2D, 24p signal requires considerably less bandwidth (lower bit rate - less than half that of a 2D 1080p60 signal), which might explain why the former fails and the latter works.

I had a situation that would work fine with 1080i, but showed what you're describing, as soon as I went to 1080p which takes about twice the bandwidth. That was solved with better cabling.

How long is your HDMI cable? You didn't mention changing out the cable (preferably with a different brand) - did you try that? It may be your player, but I've found HDMI to be very finicky in some cases, so I would look there first.

It could also be a receiver issue - try bypassing your Marantz and see if it makes a difference.

Thanks so much for your reply - this issue is driving me nuts...and I suspect you may be exactly right.

Actually I had wondered about the HDMI cable. I swapped out the one between the player and the receiver for one that clearly is rated 1.4 - (it's only a 6 ft cable) - no dice, same issue.

However, this is where it gets a bit tricky: the receiver is connected to the TV via a 30 ft Cat 5 cable, with a Snap B-200-1CAT-HDIR 1080p HDMI balun at each end (this balun supposedly handles 1080p and Full HD 3D, according to the manufacturer....

http://snapav.com/snapav/DetailView....-200-1CAT-HDIR

...but I guess I have no way of knowing for sure). I chose to give this little gizmo with existing Cat 5 cabling a whirl rather than rip apart my walls to install an HDMI, but this indeed could be the problem.

I'm going to try to get my hands on a 30ft HDMI to plug the Blu-Ray directly into the TV, as a test. If that works, I guess I'll know the problem is either the balun, or the receiver. If it doesn't, maybe it's the Blu Ray player. I'm hoping it's that, since that's much easier to address than fishing a new 30 ft HDMI through my ceiling!

I'll report back with my findings...thanks again for your input.

Jake
post #95 of 115 Old 03-13-2011, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Thanks so much for your reply - this issue is driving me nuts...and I suspect you may be exactly right.
the receiver is connected to the TV via a 30 ft Cat 5 cable, with a Snap B-200-1CAT-HDIR 1080p HDMI balun at each end (this balun supposedly handles 1080p and Full HD 3D, according to the manufacturer....

http://snapav.com/snapav/DetailView....-200-1CAT-HDIR

I'm going to try to get my hands on a 30ft HDMI to plug the Blu-Ray directly into the TV, as a test. If that works, I guess I'll know the problem is either the balun, or the receiver.

Jake
Ah, I think you've zeroed in on the problem!

I had a problem with a similar setup (using HDMI over CAT6) and found that the source device (in my case, a Directv reveiver) didn't have a power supply capable of powering the sending end of the CAT link. In my case, the "balun" was actually an active circuit that got its power from the HDMI line via the source device. I cured that problem by investing in an HDMI voltage inserter which isolates and powers the CAT link independently of the Directv receiver. Worked fine after that.

Here's a link to an inserter. Don't know if your baluns need power, but if they do, that could very well be the problem. I would still go ahead and try an HDMI cable to see if that works. It would eliminate your receiver as suspect, but the inserter might avoid your tearing out your wall to replace the CAT.

http://www.yourcablehookup.com/cable...3-p-22224.html

Good Luck!
post #96 of 115 Old 03-14-2011, 08:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
1st diag step after both HDMI cables is to eliminate the reciever in between.
post #97 of 115 Old 03-14-2011, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNnDENVER View Post

1st diag step after both HDMI cables is to eliminate the reciever in between.

Thanks - I actually just checked that: i dis-intermediated the receiver and plugged the Blu-Ray directly into the balun - no luck, same issue. So looks like the receiver is not the problem...

RBTO: just waiting to get my hands on an extra long HDMI to go direct from player to TV. If that works, you're right, the issue's the connection or balun setup. If so, I'm hoping that your power inserter idea works, but not holding my breath since the baluns are actually already plugged in & powered at both ends (although admittedly I have no idea if any of that power is actually delivered in a way that augments the signal)....

J.
post #98 of 115 Old 03-15-2011, 08:02 AM

Quote:

......... the baluns are actually already plugged in & powered at both ends (although admittedly I have no idea if any of that power is actually delivered in a way that augments the signal)....
J.

If your baluns are plugged into power (i.e., 5V wall converters) at each end, you're right, an inserter probably won't make any difference. A number of balun products use power for circuitry in the box which augments the balun function. The system I use, takes power from the sending end through the HDMI connection (pins 17 and 18), which is provided by most source devices (Blu-Ray player, Sat Box, etc.). If that's poor quality power (glitches, noise, or low voltage) it can seriously affect the balun operation. In your case, it might just be a bad balun box or it could be the power converter (wall wart???) for that box. Hard to say. Post your results when you get your extended cable. Hate to see you have to replace your in-wall run if there's another solution.

In the meantime, can you test the system by moving your BDT100 close to the receiver and connecting it with a shorter HDMI cable (your receiver will be out of the link, but I think you already eliminated that as an issue)? That should rule out the player if it works.
post #99 of 115 Old 03-19-2011, 05:20 AM

Quote:

In the meantime, can you test the system by moving your BDT100 close to the receiver and connecting it with a shorter HDMI cable (your receiver will be out of the link, but I think you already eliminated that as an issue)? That should rule out the player if it works.

Did exactly that - glitch eliminated. Know for sure now the issue is the balun transport, as you suspected. Now going to try to address via a bunch of different approaches, including some of your suggestions, before I replace it completely. Will post my solution. Thanks again for your help!
post #100 of 115 Old 04-07-2011, 02:07 PM

Ok, so in case anyone is interested:

Problem solved by replacing the Cat 5 with a Cat 6 (had to fish it but much easier to do than with a thick HDMI).

So interesting learning here that in my case the 30 ft Cat 5 with the powered HDMI baluns was insufficient to process the Full HD 3D Blu Ray image without the glitches, but the Cat 6 with the same setup works perfectly.

Thanks again for everyone's input.
post #101 of 115 Old 04-08-2011, 08:56 AM

Quote:

Ok, so in case anyone is interested:

Problem solved by replacing the Cat 5 with a Cat 6 (had to fish it but much easier to do than with a thick HDMI).

So interesting learning here that in my case the 30 ft Cat 5 with the powered HDMI baluns was insufficient to process the Full HD 3D Blu Ray image without the glitches, but the Cat 6 with the same setup works perfectly.

CAT 6 is rated for a higher bandwidth so that probably explains the difference.

Always interested and happy you found your problem (and it wasn't your BDT100).
post #102 of 115 Old 04-22-2011, 07:31 AM

Has anyone figured out how to send 3d content through SD or USB to panasonic VT25 TV?
I can burn some types of files to DVD but it would be much handier to use flash drive or SD card.
post #103 of 115 Old 05-01-2011, 12:47 PM

I'm thinking of getting this BD player. I'm using a panny plasma with a Sony HT-SS370. I used to use a ps3 for blu-rays and was able to get uncompressed audio through to my receiver. I know this player does 3d, which at this point I do not care about, but will maybe get a 3d tv later on.

What I would like to know is, can I get uncompressed lpcm, dolby true HD and dts ma from this player through to my receiver using a regular blu-ray disc? I think my receiver is hdmi 1.3.

I know if you have hdmi 1.3 you cannot get those audio formats while playing 3d movies. Some reviews I read for the bdt100 said that if you wanted to use dts hd and true hd you had to upgrade to hdmi 1.4.
post #104 of 115 Old 05-01-2011, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModularGT View Post

What I would like to know is, can I get uncompressed lpcm, dolby true HD and dts ma from this player through to my receiver using a regular blu-ray disc? I think my receiver is hdmi 1.3.

I know if you have hdmi 1.3 you cannot get those audio formats while playing 3d movies. Some reviews I read for the bdt100 said that if you wanted to use dts hd and true hd you had to upgrade to hdmi 1.4.

The BDT100 will play Blu-Ray disks with these audio tracks and output them as uncompressed streams as long as it isn't sending a full HD 3D stream at the same time, so for conventional non-3D disks, the answer is yes.

You shouldn't have any trouble with your receiver unless you're trying to do 3D. It then requires the full bandwidth of the HDMI path and sends a signal that your 1.3 receiver probably won't recognize, but again, unless you're using a 3D disk, the HDMI output looks just like a regular 1.3 stream and it should work fine. If you upgrade to 3D, you can still get the audio to your receiver - just not using the HDMI path, and it will be a compressed format (using the optical output), though you may still have some issues with the 3D signal passing through your 1.3 receiver. If you decide to upgrade to 3D, it's best to start looking for an HDMI 1.4 capable receiver, and then you can use the HDMI cable for audio (uncompressed) and video with no issues, but for now, as long as you don't run 3D on the player, your 1.3 receiver should work.

A better choice player might be the BDT110. It is actually selling on Amazon for less than the BDT100 and includes WIFI. It also includes a free copy of Avatar in 3D (just in case you upgrade) The above info applies to it as well as far as I know.
post #105 of 115 Old 05-01-2011, 10:23 PM

Quote:

A better choice player might be the BDT110. It is actually selling on Amazon for less than the BDT100 and includes WIFI.

The 110 does not include WiFi. It is WiFi "ready", meaning you can add WiFi capability via an external USB adaptor (sold separately). If you want built-in WiFi, the next model up (BDT210) provides it.
post #106 of 115 Old 05-03-2011, 10:04 AM

In my opinion don't waste your money on this model.
Bought one in November 2010, stopped working in March 2011. Sent it back to the manufacturer, they sent a refurb 105 with only a 90 day warranty. After much arguing with Panasonic I sent back the 105 and told them to send me the 107, idiots sent a 100 refurb. The product is not reliable and Panasonic customer service sucks even more!
post #107 of 115 Old 05-06-2011, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K&J27 View Post

Gibbys Electronic Supermarket has a sale on the Panasonic DMP-BDT100 for $178.44...go check out their website if your interested in buying one.

Cheers

Amazon has the BDT100 for $130US including shipping and the BDT110 for slightly less than that (latter includes free copy of Avatar in 3D. If you don't want it, you might be able to sell the copy of Avatar on eBay, and recoup part of your purchase price).

Some folks have bad luck I think. I've had the BD30, the BD65, and the BDT100, and all have performed very well for me over a period of three years. Image quality is superb in these and all export non-compressed audio via HDMI. You make a sacrifice in some of the more advanced features, but for entry-level machines, I can't complain at all. As with all Blu-Ray players, you do need to do the firmware updates when you get your machine and on a regular basis thereafter.
post #108 of 115 Old 09-29-2011, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 63
For those with Netflix subscriptions, how's the app on this model player? I've read that the NF app on the DMP BD85 only shows the Instant Queue, no further pages featuring genres, Recently Viewed, or Search capability, Is the app on the BD100 the same as that or the more advanced one seen here..
https://picasaweb.google.com/1120115...t=embedwebsite

Wider Netflix Apps Gallery here..http://www.techofthehub.com/p/netflix-ui-gallery.html

I've been trying to get a Panasonic Blu Ray player that plays DVD Ram discs as well as a fully featured NF app. But it seems as if I have have only one of the 2, but not both. The newer 110/210/310 models have the better app in the first link, but aren't dvd ram compatible.

Thanks.

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
post #109 of 115 Old 09-30-2011, 09:15 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westly-C View Post

For those with Netflix subscriptions, how's the app on this model player? I've read that the NF app on the DMP BD85 only shows the Instant Queue, no further pages featuring genres, Recently Viewed, or Search capability, Is the app on the BD100 the same as that or the more advanced one seen here..
https://picasaweb.google.com/1120115...t=embedwebsite

Wider Netflix Apps Gallery here..http://www.techofthehub.com/p/netflix-ui-gallery.html

I've been trying to get a Panasonic Blu Ray player that plays DVD Ram discs as well as a fully featured NF app. But it seems as if I have have only one of the 2, but not both. The newer 110/210/310 models have the better app in the first link, but aren't dvd ram compatible.

Thanks.

I cancelled my streaming a month ago because of the price increase, but at that time the BDT-100 only showed my instant queue, not the other stuff you mentioned. It also only showed the first 100 episodes of a series.
post #110 of 115 Old 09-30-2011, 09:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 63
^^ Thank you very much...It's one or the other, but not both. Such is life.

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
post #111 of 115 Old 11-25-2012, 03:24 PM

I am trying to play a CD on my BluRay player (DMP-BDT100) and get an "Unsupport" message on the player's display screen. According to everything I'm reading, it should support playback of an audio CD-R. The file on the CD is a WAV format.

Anyone have ideas on why this isn't working?

The WAV file is a firmware update for my Yamaha AV Receiver/Amp, so don't have an option to use another file format.

Thanks for the help!

Brian
post #112 of 115 Old 03-03-2013, 10:47 AM

Has anyone else had problems getting full-Dolby support from this unit? I seem to get alright 5.1 sound, but the Dolby logo on my Sony receiver doesnt light up. This results in me not being able to use Dolby auto volume leveling, which is a feature I really enjoy since I am in an apartment. Does anyone have any mastery of this unit's Audio settings?

Thanks in advance smile.gif
post #113 of 115 Old 03-03-2013, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbbullock View Post

I am trying to play a CD on my BluRay player (DMP-BDT100) and get an "Unsupport" message on the player's display screen. According to everything I'm reading, it should support playback of an audio CD-R. The file on the CD is a WAV format.

Anyone have ideas on why this isn't working?

The WAV file is a firmware update for my Yamaha AV Receiver/Amp, so don't have an option to use another file format.

Thanks for the help!

Brian

If the CD is a firmware update, it isn't a wave file! You need to transfer the contents to another media (e.g., a thumbdrive) that your Yamaha can accept.

If you have a real 'Wave file" (.wav) on a CD, most CD players (including the BDT100) won't be able to play it. They can play mp3 files, and regular CD music files which are .cda files, but not wave files. A computer drive can play these using a media player, but most stand-alone BD/DVD/CD machines can't.
post #114 of 115 Old 03-03-2013, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by half-fast View Post

Has anyone else had problems getting full-Dolby support from this unit? I seem to get alright 5.1 sound, but the Dolby logo on my Sony receiver doesnt light up. This results in me not being able to use Dolby auto volume leveling, which is a feature I really enjoy since I am in an apartment. Does anyone have any mastery of this unit's Audio settings?

Thanks in advance smile.gif

I think the setting you need to change is PCM audio (see page 29 of your manual). You can choose to have the player decode the audio (which is probably the case now) or you can send the bitstream to your Sony receiver and let it decode the audio (which will most likely light up the Dolby light and give your Sony volume leveling control).
post #115 of 115 Old 05-20-2013, 07:59 PM

Thanks a lot, I had actually switched that and got it working for a couple movies, then I guess the last firmware update must have reset it and I didnt check assuming it was still set. Thanks! And sorry for the delay in my response
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Panasonic Dmp Bdt100 Full Hd 3d Blu Ray Disc Player , Blu Ray Players
Gear in this thread - Bdt100 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page