The Pioneer BDP-V6000 Professional Blu-ray Player Thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 09-06-2010, 05:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I'm pretty sure the majority of us here at AVS don't turn to players designed primarily for comercial use like the Pioneer BDP-V6000. So why would I think it's worth posting here then? With the BDP-320 and BDP-23FD now almost gone, the $2200 BDP-09FD around, and the budget rebadged Sharps around, I thought I'd mension another option. First of all, I won't be getting one unless the price comes way down. Now for my findings. After reading the BDP-V6000's owners manual, it is similar to the BDP-23FD with the 7.1-channel analog output and multi-channel PQLS via HDMI. Its latest firmware is version 4.65. I don't know if it uses internals similar to the BDP-09FD. Now for the best part. It's definitly one more pre-Sharp true Pioneer Blu-ray player!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 09-06-2010, 06:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 114
It is likely a pile like all the Pioneer Blu Ray players. Poor software, more unplayable discs than even Samsung, slow start up, drive failures, mediocre performance and poor customer service. If you spend any time here, you can see Pioneer (IMO) is a brand to avoid in the Blu Ray market.

Fact is, you don't need to spend over $2000 for a good BD player these days unless you are looking for better esthetics.

IT looks like a re-badged BDP-23FD with rack ears for $1000.

BDP:23FD on the left and BDP-V6000 on the right
LL
LL

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #3 of 12 Old 09-06-2010, 06:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post

It is likely a pile like all the Pioneer Blu Ray players. Poor software, more unplayable discs than even Samsung, slow start up, drive failures, mediocre performance and poor customer service. If you spend any time here, you can see Pioneer (IMO) is a brand to avoid in the Blu Ray market.

Fact is, you don't need to spend over $2000 for a good BD player these days unless you are looking for better esthetics.

IT looks like a re-badged BDP-23FD

BDP:23FD:

BDP-V6000:

I'm sorry you've had bad luck with Pioneer players. Until their rebadged Sharps, I have been impressed with their SD DVD players and their BD players. It's true that Oppo, Sony, and Samsung have faster power-up, eject, and load times, as well as possibly better functionality such as disc repeat and numeric entry in stop mode for Blu-ray discs. However, if you have a receiver which doesn't either feature HDMI inputs or multi-channel PCM support, the Pioneer Blu-ray players have good analog audio output to accomidate such a situation. Marantz and Denon have been said to top them in that aspect, but not everyone can afford Marantz and Denon prices. Pioneer has delivered I'd say $800 performance in $400-$600 players. In fact, if the price ever falls way down, I just might grab one and move my BDP-320 up to my bedroom. I forgot to mension: Pioneer's Blu-ray players have advanced picture adjustments as well that not many of players have under $500. The 320, and 23FD have a good reputation for upscaling SD DVDs. If the BDP-V6000 is a rebadged 23FD, this player could be another winner if the price ever drops drasticly!
post #4 of 12 Old 09-06-2010, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

It is likely a pile like all the Pioneer Blu Ray players. Poor software, more unplayable discs than even Samsung, slow start up, drive failures, mediocre performance and poor customer service.

I admit to having a drive failure, and customer support is kind of quiet (they don't contact you at all, you have to contact them when you have an item in their care), but unplayable discs? NO. no no no no no! Does not happen - not once on my BDP-320. And from what I have seen, my drive failure was not typical, I haven't seen any other reports of this happening. I've got no problems with the 19 second or so startup time, the upscaling is extremely good (I hope that is not part of your 'mediocre performance' parameter, because you'd be hard pressed to find any other sub-$500 player that does this as well!) Poor software? What? VERY few players offer the wealth of video and audio tweaking that you get from the pre-Sharped Pioneers. Like most of your posts, going all the way back to the war years, BOGUS.
post #5 of 12 Old 09-06-2010, 02:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iontyre View Post

I admit to having a drive failure, and customer support is kind of quiet (they don't contact you at all, you have to contact them when you have an item in their care), but unplayable discs? NO. no no no no no! Does not happen - not once on my BDP-320. And from what I have seen, my drive failure was not typical, I haven't seen any other reports of this happening. I've got no problems with the 19 second or so startup time, the upscaling is extremely good (I hope that is not part of your 'mediocre performance' parameter, because you'd be hard pressed to find any other sub-$500 player that does this as well!) Poor software? What? VERY few players offer the wealth of video and audio tweaking that you get from the pre-Sharped Pioneers. Like most of your posts, going all the way back to the war years, BOGUS.

As the BDP-09FD was the best out of the BDP-51FD, BDP-05FD, and BDP-09FD 2008 models, would the BDP-V6000 be the best out of the BDP-320, BDP-23FD, and BDP-V6000 2009 models? (I know the BDP-120 is a 2009 model, but we're not counting that one in this discussion because it's a rebadged Sharp--LOL!)
post #6 of 12 Old 09-06-2010, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big C View Post

I'm pretty sure the majority of us here at AVS don't turn to players designed primarily for comercial use like the Pioneer BDP-V6000. So why would I think it's worth posting here then? With the BDP-320 and BDP-23FD now almost gone, the $2200 BDP-09FD around, and the budget rebadged Sharps around, I thought I'd mension another option. First of all, I won't be getting one unless the price comes way down. Now for my findings. After reading the BDP-V6000's owners manual, it is similar to the BDP-23FD with the 7.1-channel analog output and multi-channel PQLS via HDMI. Its latest firmware is version 4.65. I don't know if it uses internals similar to the BDP-09FD. Now for the best part. It's definitly one more pre-Sharp true Pioneer Blu-ray player!

It's a 23FD with rack mounts. Who buys these things is a different story. Someone reviewed one and claimed it upscaled better than the 320. Guess there remains swampland in florida...
post #7 of 12 Old 09-06-2010, 02:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by winston9332 View Post

It's a 23FD with rack mounts. Who buys these things is a different story. Someone reviewed one and claimed it upscaled better than the 320. Guess there remains swampland in florida...

Besides the fact that the 6000s are being sold primarily to the comercial-use market, there must be some reason this player cost $1000. If not, then let's hold out hope that the price on these things comes way down so even more people will be able to continue adding true Pioneer players for just a little longer!
post #8 of 12 Old 09-06-2010, 02:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big C View Post

Besides t fact that the 6000s are being sold primarily to the comercial-use market, there must be some reason this player cost $1000. If not, then let's hold out hope that the price on these things comes way down so even more people will be able to continue adding true Pioneer players for just a little longer!

It's been out for over a year and I have seen unauthorized folks sell them at around $700 on ebay. Once again, buy 4 320s at that price!
post #9 of 12 Old 09-06-2010, 03:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by winston9332 View Post

It's been out for over a year and I have seen unauthorized folks sell them at around $700 on ebay. Once again, buy 4 320s at that price!

I can't believe Pioneer would discontinue the BDP-320 and BDP-23FD, yet keep the BDP-09FD and BDP-V6000 around! Unless we have money coming out our ears, it looks like we're stuck with subpar analog audio, DVD upscaling, and video tweeks for now. I was thinking about getting either a BDP-23FD for Christmas and moving my BDP-320 up to my bedroom, or else just getting another BDP-320. But it looks like those hopes are pretty much gone. At least I can claim how lucky I am that I got one before it was too late.
post #10 of 12 Old 09-06-2010, 07:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:

Wow, I have a completely different experience with NOT one, but two Pioneer blu-ray players, the 51FD and the BDP-320. Out of hundreds of bly- ray disc I rented from Netflix, I only had one disc that was unplayable. Except for slow load times, I find the Pioneer as good as the Oppo which I returned. Maybe you got a lemon?

I want to hear opinions from people who don't have a dog in the fight.
post #11 of 12 Old 09-07-2010, 12:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
I too had a 51FD and grabbed one of the last 320s at clearance price. Even at MSRP their analogue audio is very good for MCH, especially the 320 which has speaker distance settings. Which player that price has speaker distance, size and crossover settings? None as far as I know. But for 2CH analogue, good as they are they aren't on the same level as dedicated CD players.

Someone did mention here professional players are expected to run for long duration or non-stop and might well be designed for that. Until someone has a peep inside no one knows for sure. Maybe the warranty terms are different too.

Audiosceptics accept audio trials using 25 people. A recent Oxford study with over 353,000 patient records from 639 separate clinical trials shows for every 1,000 people taking diclofenac or ibuprofen there would be 3 additional heart attacks, 4 more cases of heart failure and 1 death every year.

post #12 of 12 Old 09-07-2010, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 188
Pioneer's industrial DVD players were legendary, but in this application it's mechanical reliability that matters, along with easy integration with a variety of control systems. I've had DVD-V7400s run 8 hours a day, 365 days a year, for years and years without failure.

It would be very disappointing if their industrial BD players were built to a lower standard (although times have changed, and today I wouldn't be using an optical disc player, or anything with moving parts, to deliver equivalent content).

But for auditoriums and theaters, conference facilities and schools, robustness is still key. I suppose even that may not matter if bad firmware prevents a disc from loading at all, of course.

I haven't seen any field reports from institutional users on this player.

Wide Awake

on the Edge

of the World

Reply Blu-ray Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page