Official Samsung BD-C7900 3-D Blu-Ray Player Thread - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 136 Old 12-22-2010, 07:29 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
FWIW/FYI--for whatever reason I cannot get HDMI CEC (aka HDMI Control, or Anynet, which is what Samsung calls it for their devices) to work correctly w/ a Samsung BD-C7900/Denon 3808ci AVR/Samsung PN58C8000 display setup even though all three devices support HDMI CEC. It's not that CEC doesn't work at all w/ my setup but rather, with CEC enabled and w/ one HDMI out going from the 7900 to the display and the other HDMI out going to my Denon--for whatever reason my Denon does not detect/receive the digital audio (via HDMI) from the 7900. I tried all kinds of combinations--disabling CEC on the plasma, connecting a cable straight from the 7900 HDMI 1 output to the Denon...the Denon still does not detect the audio (video is fine whether I connect the video out from the 7900 to the Denon or to the plasma). Only when I disable CEC on the Denon do I get digital audio out from the 7900 via HDMI...therefore I can only conclude that for whatever the Denon can't correctly detect the digital audio coming from the 7900 via HDMI when CEC is enabled on the Denon.

Note--the Denon will correctly allow audio to pass through to the plasma w/ CEC enabled if I set the Denon audio output from Amp (external speakers) to TV (TV speakers), so I know that the Denon CEC functions somewhat correctly...but of course this does me little good when I want to listen to audio via the external speakers while CEC is enabled

Tony
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 136 Old 12-22-2010, 07:45 AM

I need some help.

I have a BD-C7900 connected to a Denon 4308ci receiver and occasionally the audio is choppy when streaming Pandora and Netflix. I originally thought the problem was caused by my wireless network so I hardwired it instead. That seemed to correct the problem with Pandora, or so I thought. Then last night I tried Netflix and the audio was choppy again. I don't have the problem watching BluRay or DVD's. I swapped the HDMI cable to rule out a cable problem. I ended up watching Netflix through my Apple TV and it worked great. This seems to be isolated to the 7900. Anyone else experience this or have any ideas?
post #93 of 136 Old 12-22-2010, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chans_avs View Post

yes, i did disable the 3D detection one the C7900. no help. next thing i'll try is to
disable Deep Color.

i wasn't particular on 3D. but wanted other features; and having something more
future-proof was important.

according to Blue Jeans, their long cables(standard speed) will send 1080P just
fine.

getting a high speed cable did come to mind. but unfortunately, i need one that's
at least 30 feet. this brings up the question... who makes long, high speed cables
at reasonable prices? ( i don't want to spend hundreds of $$ for Monster )

well, turning Deep Color off did improves things; but didn't completely
"fix" the problem.

prior to the change, the picture would blank out very frequently. now, it
is much less, but still occurs.
post #94 of 136 Old 12-24-2010, 10:41 PM

I picked up a 7900 for the two HDMI outputs. I have a Yamaha 2600 receiver that won't pass 1080P/24fps video. so I wanted to pass video direct to TV and audio PCM out to the Receiver. It seems to work fine except for some 7.1 DTS-HD MA disks. Toy Story 3 for example place the previews and even the Disney logo sequence fine showing MPCM (multichannel PCM) fine but when the actual movie starts the PCM drops to two channels it should be 7 channels. When I plug my Panasonic 60 BD player I do get MPCM when the movie plays but have to give up the 1080P because I'm sending audio and video through the receiver. I would think I have something set wrong in the 7900 except some material on the same disc comes through fine.

Any thought would be much appreciated.
post #95 of 136 Old 12-26-2010, 12:04 AM

FYI for people using this player.

I just installed mine and did all the updates.

When I attempted to watch the Sony and Mitsubishi 3D demo disks I was dissapointed to see the 3d signal was briefly detected but did not play except for the initial Sony 3D logo. They have been used in numerous other 3D players and have functioned perfectly.

When I called Samsung to ask about the issue, they informed me that it was a compatibility issue. Which is a huge bummer as I wanted to use these disks to show off my system. It has played Alice in Wonderland and Despicable Me without a hitch (and looked amazing).

So, before dropping dime on demo disks, use this as a caveat that they may not function with this stingy Samsung player.

Now I just need to find someone selling the Samsung demo disk cheap as that one MUST work, haha.

P.S. Despicible Me end credits in 3D = WOW
post #96 of 136 Old 12-26-2010, 05:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaugh View Post
I picked up a 7900 for the two HDMI outputs. I have a Yamaha 2600 receiver that won't pass 1080P/24fps video. so I wanted to pass video direct to TV and audio PCM out to the Receiver. It seems to work fine except for some 7.1 DTS-HD MA disks. Toy Story 3 for example place the previews and even the Disney logo sequence fine showing MPCM (multichannel PCM) fine but when the actual movie starts the PCM drops to two channels it should be 7 channels. When I plug my Panasonic 60 BD player I do get MPCM when the movie plays but have to give up the 1080P because I'm sending audio and video through the receiver. I would think I have something set wrong in the 7900 except some material on the same disc comes through fine.

Any thought would be much appreciated.
Sounds like a setting in the 7900
Check the audio settings in the menu
Also does it work correctly on any movies with the 7900?

Warren

Rm 1 Samsung 64F8500 Onkyo 5508 prepro Sherbourn 5/1500A amp Atlantic technology System 350 THX Ultra speakers
Rm 2 LG 47LE8500 Pioneer SC37 Celestion 305 speaker system
Rm 3 Samsung 51E8000 Yamaha A2010 Kef 2005.2 speaker system
Rm 4 Panasonic 50ST50 Onkyo 5009/906 Mirage Omni sat speaker system
post #97 of 136 Old 12-26-2010, 10:17 AM

I was set on getting the Oppo-93 until I read up on the Samsung-7900. Now I'm questioning if the upgrade to the Oppo-93 is worth it. I know, side-by-side, the Oppo is the better player. But I'm not interested in all of the features on the Oppo. I mainly want something with dual HDMI to accomodate my Onkyo 805 and excellent video processing for BDs & DVD upconversion. Oppo has a lot of extra features like SACD and DVD-audio that I probably would never use. Anyone compare the Oppo-93 and Samsung-7900 as far as video processing goes?
post #98 of 136 Old 12-26-2010, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turnne1 View Post

Sounds like a setting in the 7900
Check the audio settings in the menu
Also does it work correctly on any movies with the 7900?

Warren

I have tried every possible combination of settings and the fact that the Previews and even the menu and intro to the movie itself works fine, outputing MPCM leads me to believe it's not a setting.

Every NON 7.1 movie plays fine and outputs correctly.

The only thing I didn't try was a different HDMI cable. I suppose that is a possibility. Bear in mind I can plug my old Panasonic DMB-60 into the same cable and it works in 7.1.

I've pretty much decided I'm sending the Samsung back. It's got me stumped.
post #99 of 136 Old 12-27-2010, 09:07 AM

I have the same problem except with video. When viewing NetFlix it flickers black every minute or two. With XBox it is perfect. I am using LAN for both connections. Updated all firmware. Very disappointed and don't know what to do. Hopefully a firmware upgrade soon will fix. Hope it is not a crappy Ethernet adapter or something.
post #100 of 136 Old 12-28-2010, 10:53 PM

cpaugh, have you tried changing your audio settings from pcm to bitstream (audiophile)?
post #101 of 136 Old 01-09-2011, 06:57 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Can someone confirm if this player has the ability to remove black bars from widescreen movies without any picture distortion?
post #102 of 136 Old 01-10-2011, 04:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrTAPOUT View Post

Can someone confirm if this player has the ability to remove black bars from widescreen movies without any picture distortion?

No such player exists. The only way to "remove" the black bars is to distort the picture one way or another--e.g. stretch it vertically or enlarge it, which necessarily cuts off the sides in the process (I guess this is what you want). Why not just watch in the OAR the director intended?

j.m.'s ReplayTV Tools
Home of WinDVA, the Win32 DVArchive launcher
post #103 of 136 Old 01-13-2011, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrTAPOUT View Post

Wow, I can't believe people are still doing this, especially if you belong to a forum like this.

"I love the smell of racing gas in the morning."
www.timadamsphotography.com
post #104 of 136 Old 01-13-2011, 05:02 AM

I just picked this up yesterday. With the setting in Auto for resolution on regular DVD's, is it upscaling them automatically to 1080P?. I ask because Blu-Ray looks awesome as usual, but a regular DVD looks very bad. Not that I'll be watching many old DVD's, but just wondering. It's connected via a Yamaha RX-V3800 to a Panny 58VT25.

"I love the smell of racing gas in the morning."
www.timadamsphotography.com
post #105 of 136 Old 01-31-2011, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyJ View Post

... My Denon, is HDMI 1.3 and should not be able to pass 3D signals but it does.
Which Denon do you have?
I have the 3808, and was wondering this.
post #106 of 136 Old 02-02-2011, 08:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayMan007 View Post
Which Denon do you have?
I have the 3808, and was wondering this.
IIRC--the 3808 could, in theory, pass 3D video signals...but not pass 3D video and high-def audio (e.g., DTS-HD MA) at the same time. I say "in theory" because I have my PS3 connected to my 3808, and it (PS3) can detect my Samsung C8000 plasma as a 3D-capable display when I run the PS3 Display Settings config...now, getting the 3D to actually work on my PS3 when connected this way is another story--LOL!

Tony
post #107 of 136 Old 02-03-2011, 04:58 AM

Ive had a 6500, 6800 and got a 7900 at the end of november. All of a sudden I'm having problems getting my 7900 to connect to my wifi network. It sees my network but pass wont work when connecting. Also tried "pin" where both the 7900 and my netgear wndr3700 look for eachother and still no go. It's weird because ive never had this problem and I was just streaming fine from my htpc and my desktop movie storage drives (using bdc7900 as bedroom dlna device). Im hoping it's not a hardware problem! Has anyone else experienced connection troubles?
post #108 of 136 Old 02-04-2011, 10:03 AM

I picked this up yesterday for the dual HDMI's. I haven't tried any Blu-rays or DVDs yet, but I did try and stream some .MKV's. Says format is not supported. The manual says it will play .MKV, but it must just be from USB?

Mike
post #109 of 136 Old 02-09-2011, 08:55 PM
Advanced Member

anyone know what the current firmware update is? I believe mine is 1005.1. I checked this under settings, support, software upgrade. I tried to update but got the message: Model information in upgrade file does not match with your player. Please check and retry. Anyone else get this message?
post #110 of 136 Old 02-10-2011, 08:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmathers View Post
anyone know what the current firmware update is? I believe mine is 1005.1. I checked this under settings, support, software upgrade. I tried to update but got the message: Model information in upgrade file does not match with your player. Please check and retry. Anyone else get this message?
I've gotten that message a few times; just try it again later.

Tony
post #111 of 136 Old 02-10-2011, 08:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toneman
I've gotten that message a few times; just try it again later.
Yep tried it this mornin and worked fine. Said I have the most current software. Thanks for your reply
post #112 of 136 Old 02-11-2011, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westerndigital81 View Post

Ive had a 6500, 6800 and got a 7900 at the end of november. All of a sudden I'm having problems getting my 7900 to connect to my wifi network. It sees my network but pass wont work when connecting. Also tried "pin" where both the 7900 and my netgear wndr3700 look for eachother and still no go. It's weird because ive never had this problem and I was just streaming fine from my htpc and my desktop movie storage drives (using bdc7900 as bedroom dlna device). Im hoping it's not a hardware problem! Has anyone else experienced connection troubles?

Yeah, exact same set-up. WHat I did that alleviated the issue, which was weird since I had set-up it's own IP/etc on Netgear - when device is connected, go into router control panel, look at devices connected, I cut/pase MAC ID listed for samsung device - back to LAN set-up and paste that info. After doing that...no issues.

The ozone layer or cheese in a spray can? Don't make me choose
post #113 of 136 Old 02-17-2011, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Does the C7900 only passes audio on the second HDMI? I just received one but have yet to try output number two. I believe the Oppo 93 has the option of passing audio/video on both. My plan is to send one HDMI directly to my plasma and the second to the receiver/projector.
post #114 of 136 Old 02-18-2011, 09:23 AM

Looking for some advice on performing a hard reset due to a Netflix issue.

I picked up an open box 7900 yesterday at Fry's. It was previously used, so Netflix was already registered to somebody else's account.

In the Internet@TV : Settings menu, I performed a reset, and now the device's Netflix ESN number is listed as [Deactivated]

However, when I click on the Netflix icon, it starts up and still shows me the previous users queue of movies. Clicking on one won't play the movie; instead I get an error message to register my device on Netflix.

Samsung's website has a walkthough to get Netflix going but shows a blue home screen that looks nothing like my unit's menu screen, and it also shows pop-up boxes with a 4-digit activation code that I never see.

I've been through every menu setting and am stuck. And BTW, no problems setting up and using Pandora and YouTube, and my system has updated its software (not seeing Hulu, though).

(BTW the obvious answer is return it and pick up an unopened unit online for less $$.)
post #115 of 136 Old 02-18-2011, 02:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobZ View Post

Does the C7900 only passes audio on the second HDMI? I just received one but have yet to try output number two.

Someone please feel free to correct me but I believe HDMI #2 on the 7900 is audio only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speede541 View Post

Looking for some advice on performing a hard reset due to a Netflix issue.

I picked up an open box 7900 yesterday at Fry's. It was previously used, so Netflix was already registered to somebody else's account.

In the Internet@TV : Settings menu, I performed a reset, and now the device's Netflix ESN number is listed as [Deactivated]

However, when I click on the Netflix icon, it starts up and still shows me the previous users queue of movies. Clicking on one won't play the movie; instead I get an error message to register my device on Netflix.

Looks like the previous owner either forgot or didn't bother de-registering the device from his Netflix account; I'd call Netflix and explain the situation--I'm sure they won't have an issue de-registering it on their end...if anything, they'd be doing a favor for the original owner since you can only register I believe a max of 6 devices at any one time for streaming, and if the other guy attempts to register another device and his list is already maxed out, he'd be SOL until he de-registers one of the devices already on the list first.

Tony
post #116 of 136 Old 02-18-2011, 07:38 PM

^It is audio only

post #117 of 136 Old 02-19-2011, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westerndigital81 View Post

Netgear released a new firmware with a fix for Samsung. I've not tried it out. But, FYI:
http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/de.../kw/WNDR3700v2

post #118 of 136 Old 03-04-2011, 07:23 PM

Anyone know what chipset for video decoding Samsung uses in these new players?
post #119 of 136 Old 03-06-2011, 03:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dathon View Post

Anyone know what chipset for video decoding Samsung uses in these new players?

I think it varies by player..honestly

I also noticed some of the apps have a different menu on the 7900 than they do on the 6500 and 5500

Warren

Rm 1 Samsung 64F8500 Onkyo 5508 prepro Sherbourn 5/1500A amp Atlantic technology System 350 THX Ultra speakers
Rm 2 LG 47LE8500 Pioneer SC37 Celestion 305 speaker system
Rm 3 Samsung 51E8000 Yamaha A2010 Kef 2005.2 speaker system
Rm 4 Panasonic 50ST50 Onkyo 5009/906 Mirage Omni sat speaker system
post #120 of 136 Old 03-07-2011, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turnne1 View Post

I think it varies by player..honestly

I also noticed some of the apps have a different menu on the 7900 than they do on the 6500 and 5500

Warren

Varies? All 7900 would have the same chip. Oppo uses Qdeo by Marvell in their latest player. I'm curious what the Samsung has in comparison.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Samsung Bd C7900 1080p 3d Blu Ray Disc Player , Samsung Bd C6900 1080p 3d Blu Ray Disc Player , Samsung Bd Up5000 1080p Hd Dvd Blu Ray Disc Combo Player , Denon , Yamaha Ns Ap2600bl Home Theater 5 0 Speaker System , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player
Gear in this thread - C6900 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page