Official Samsung BD-C7900 3-D Blu-Ray Player Thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 136 Old 09-09-2010, 12:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
http://www.samsung.com/us/consumer/t...etail&tab=spec

I replaced C-6900 with C-7900...Then my Onkyo 905 HDmi 1.3 can working fine HD Audio
And I really love the Auto HDMI mode
HDMI Audio Output
Set the audio output method when a receiver is
connected to the player.
Auto : If the HDMI OUT 1 and HDMI OUT 2
terminals are connected to a TV and receiver
respectively, you will hear audio through the
device connected to HDMI OUT 2.
If the receiver is not connected to the player or
turned off, you will hear audio through the TV
speakers.
HDMI 1 & HDMI 2 : You can listen to the audio
from both the receiver and TV speakers

LL
LL
LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 136 Old 09-12-2010, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Is video output from both HDMI ports, or is the second audio only?

CD

Reality Based.
post #3 of 136 Old 09-12-2010, 02:49 PM
Advanced Member

Any information on the upscaler they used with the BD-C7900?
post #4 of 136 Old 09-13-2010, 12:22 AM

Does this have Hulu Plus? Is the sync any better?
post #5 of 136 Old 09-13-2010, 05:21 PM

Well this thread turned out to be useless.
post #6 of 136 Old 09-14-2010, 08:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Cattledog: The second HDMI port is audio only

Something_Soft: sorry no idea on the upscaler

Gooseboy: I'll check on the Hulu Plus when I get home
post #7 of 136 Old 09-14-2010, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks, I ordered one today from Amazon.

CD

Reality Based.
post #8 of 136 Old 09-14-2010, 10:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpags View Post

Gooseboy: I'll check on the Hulu Plus when I get home

For now only the BD-C6900. Eventually it should show up on this and many other models. The Sony players already have a reference to it in their interface. For low bandwidth users Hulu Plus looks dramatically better than Netflix now if they just had something you wanted to watch.
post #9 of 136 Old 09-14-2010, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

now if they just had something you wanted to watch.

Boy ain't that the truth. I subscribed since it's a novelty but I think I'll be canceling soon as it's a complete ripoff. It doesn't hold a candle to Netflix selection wise.
post #10 of 136 Old 09-14-2010, 06:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooseboy View Post

Boy ain't that the truth. I subscribed since it's a novelty but I think I'll be canceling soon as it's a complete ripoff. It doesn't hold a candle to Netflix selection wise.

I gave them a month to catch the last season of 24. Well worth it and after that I couldn't find a reason to continue. However I noticed they have Doc Martin which I really enjoyed via Netflix.
post #11 of 136 Old 09-15-2010, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

For now only the BD-C6900. Eventually it should show up on this and many other models. The Sony players already have a reference to it in their interface. For low bandwidth users Hulu Plus looks dramatically better than Netflix… now if they just had something you wanted to watch.

Actually the C7900 does have Hulu Plus now. I just checked last night and they must have just added it, as I had to download it as a new app. I'm not a Hulu user so I'm not familiar with the interface, but you have the option to request an invite if you are not a subscriber to it. Looks like they added the Best Buy streamer as well now, CinemaPlay, I believe it is?
post #12 of 136 Old 09-15-2010, 08:44 AM

How is the connection (wired / wireless) speed. Does it have the same buffering / dropout issues as C6900 with netflix HD streaming. TIA
post #13 of 136 Old 09-15-2010, 02:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Actually the C7900 does have Hulu Plus now. I just checked last night and they must have just added it, as I had to download it as a new app. I'm not a Hulu user so I'm not familiar with the interface, but you have the option to request an invite if you are not a subscriber to it.

Does it allow you to view various TV shows, movies, and such for free (without subscribing) like the BD-C6900?
post #14 of 136 Old 09-15-2010, 05:46 PM

Yeah, check the app because there should be a few samples on there.
post #15 of 136 Old 09-15-2010, 11:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes, there were 19 full sample videos to check out for free without subscribing. Stuff like Supersize Me, full HD episodes of Parenthood, Desperate Housewives, Family Guy, etc. I watched most of the Ugly Betty pilot episode in HD and it looked and sounded great without any sync issues (I'm on FIOS).
post #16 of 136 Old 09-15-2010, 11:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamin View Post

How is the connection (wired / wireless) speed. Does it have the same buffering / dropout issues as C6900 with netflix HD streaming. TIA

No problem with initial wireless connection or streaming. I can watch HD stuff without a hitch, though I am on Verizon FIOS which is more than fast enough to stream HD.
post #17 of 136 Old 09-25-2010, 07:33 PM
AVS Special Member

I have a slight sync problem with the HDMI audio only output. Has anyone else experienced this and what audio delay setting did you use?

Thanks,

CD

Reality Based.
post #18 of 136 Old 09-28-2010, 02:01 PM

How does the 7900 compare to the high end Sony 3d players? To be honest I'm unimpressed with my 7900. The quality of the video is fine, but for $400 it just seems cheap. The remote looks like something from a $50 tv.
post #19 of 136 Old 09-28-2010, 03:05 PM

Quote:

Yes, there were 19 full sample videos to check out for free without subscribing. Stuff like Supersize Me, full HD episodes of Parenthood, Desperate Housewives, Family Guy, etc. I watched most of the Ugly Betty pilot episode in HD and it looked and sounded great without any sync issues (I'm on FIOS).

Are there any British television samples on there? Maybe the show Spaced?

I've noticed that the British shows in Hulu Plus have the worst sync on my 6900. Sometimes the audio starts out fine but then it eventually drifts out of sync worse and worse as it continues to play. Most notably in the last minute before Hulu goes to a commercial.

If you ever get a chance to watch a British show please let me know if this also happens on the 7900.
post #20 of 136 Old 09-28-2010, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 71
I am posting this to anyone that has a DENON AVP-A1HDCI pre/pro and is considering either a Samsung TV or the Samsung BD-C7900 blu-ray player or both together with the AVP .....

I have confirmed the HDMI control (Denon) and the Anynet+ (Samsung), which are proprietary versions of CEC, work very well together.

I have the PN58C8000 Samsung TV, BD-C7900 BluRay player and the Denon AVP-A1HDCI and they all work flawlessly with the CEC. I turn on the bluray player and the TV and AVP turn on and the AVP will automatically switch to the correct source. Cool.

I am also getting 1080p/60 to the TV and no problems with bitstream DTS-HD or Dolby TrueHD.

The BD-C7900 loads very fast and is very quiet. The reviews of the unit compared to the $499 Oppo reference player are very good. Some said they can tell no difference in video quality. So if all you are after is excellent video and bitstream audio, the Sammy might even be a better choice for $200 less. And, you get 3D capability via 2 HDMI outputs which the Oppo doesn't have nor does it have 3D capability.
post #21 of 136 Old 09-28-2010, 03:39 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Hi WillyJ,

Where are you finding these reviews comparing it to the Oppo BDP-83?
post #22 of 136 Old 09-28-2010, 07:38 PM
AVS Special Member

I am pretty sure it was in Home Theater or Sound & Vision Magazine. I did a lot of research online too and may have seen it there as well. I saw it from at least 2 sources. They were remarking about the lack of "Brand Name" video chip in the Samsung such as HQV and said that Samsung uses their own chip which is as good as the the one found in the Oppo. One reviewer said his reference player was the Oppo and he found the image quality to be the same from the Samsung. They also remarked that historically, Samsung's video processing has always been top notch. I can't speak to the Oppo but the Samsung is better than my Panasonic which is replaced.......

I also read somewhere that Samsung is now the world's largest manufacturer of consumer goods???? Hard to believe they would be bigger than Sony but it would explain how they have the resources to build their own video chips now.

I had a negative view of Samsung's products in the past based on the DLP TV's but having seen some of their new cutting edge products like the new LED-LCD tv's, I have changed my mind.

So, my recent purchase of the PN58C8000 plasma tv was my first purchase of a major electronic item from Samsung other than a cell phone and have been mighty impressed with it. I was leaning towards the Oppo for video quality but figured since the reviews rated it up there with the Oppo, why not go with the Samsung for the 3D capability, dual HDMI outputs and the Anynet+. I have the funds to buy the Oppo so it wasn't a price issue for me; However, I could almost buy 2 of the Samsungs for the price of one Oppo. Not sure what I would be paying for with the Oppo over the Samsung. I also have a Denon DVD5910CI high end DVD player that I use exclusively for CD, SACD and DVD-Audio so my needs were for video only when buying the Samsung. Bitstreaming DTS-HD and Dolby TrueHD can be done well by almost any player so I was focusing solely on video, 3D, etc..
post #23 of 136 Old 09-29-2010, 03:20 AM
AVS Special Member

I sold my Oppo and don't miss it at all except for build quality. The Samsung it flimsy and plastic feeling while the Oppo is solid.

CD

Reality Based.
post #24 of 136 Old 09-29-2010, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattledog View Post

I sold my Oppo and don't miss it at all except for build quality. The Samsung it flimsy and plastic feeling while the Oppo is solid.

CD

Yeah, being an engineer myself, I have a hard time buying flimsy things too. I guess this is why I really like the Denon gear - Built like a tank. However, when it comes to something like a BluRay/3D player which is likely to become obsolete within a year or so, I can handle the flimsy as long as it operates and performs as it should now and during its life-span.

I read somewhere that a lot of the cost in a piece of electronics is in the case and power supply - So, Samsung could have built it heavier and sturdier but it would have probably cost $75-100 more. Is it worth it? If they don't fall apart and since they will be obsolete in a short time one could say they are being economical and green by building them flimsy.

The Oppo is a nice unit, no doubt. I see they just announced a newer version (93) of the 83 that will have dual HDMI outputs and ethernet/streaming capabilities that will be the same price as the 83, replacing the 83. Sort of proves my point about obsolescence.
post #25 of 136 Old 10-07-2010, 06:53 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattledog View Post

I have a slight sync problem with the HDMI audio only output. Has anyone else experienced this and what audio delay setting did you use?

Thanks,

CD

Did you get this resolved?
post #26 of 136 Old 10-10-2010, 07:05 PM
AVS Club Gold

Any more reviews/comparos?

Tim
Selling Anthem PVA7.
STABILITY + Superior audio (SC09-TX) + Incredible picture (VPL-VW200) + good integration.
post #27 of 136 Old 10-16-2010, 11:25 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Does the BD-C7900 stream mkv, avi, etc, from the home PC very well? I currently have the LG BD-570 & it streams like a champ. I often stream 720p & 1080p mkv files from the net and really need the BD-C7900 to be able to do so, too.
post #28 of 136 Old 10-25-2010, 03:40 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
How does this unit compare to the Panasonic DMP-BDT300? I have both a panasonic 3d tv and a Samsung led 3d tv, and I am currently using PS3 with the Samsung tv. I need one more 3d blu ray player to go with the Panasonic plasma, but it need not be the panasonic blu ray player if the Samsung 7900 is definitely superior to the panny. Any help would be welcome. Thanks. P.
post #29 of 136 Old 10-31-2010, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Anyone had any issues getting DTS-MA to play correctly with the HELLBOY II BluRay? I have had 2 discs now from NetFlix with the same problem: The sound would play fine for a few minutes and then it would stop completely. Restarting the disc again and it would do this over and over and the sound would stop at different places on this disc. When it did put out sound, it was DTS-MA encoded and my Denon AVP surround processor lit up correctly. Then when the sound stopped, the Denon showed no incoming signal. The sound was never garbled or odd sounding when it played - It sounded fine when it played; It just would only play for a few minutes and then stop altogether.

I had the Samsung BD-C7900 in Bitstream(Audiophile) mode when this was happening. I switched the Samsung to PCM and it played fine as MultiChannel Direct on the Denon.

I suspect the Samsung may need another firmware update even though I just updated to the latest one before playing the 2nd disc. I guess it is possible that I got 2 bad discs but unlikely.

Anyone else experience anything like this? I have only played a few discs with my new BD-C7900 but the DARK KNIGHT played fine in Dolby HD.

Also, does anyone know a Samsung website link or email where we can report problems such as these directly to Samsung?
post #30 of 136 Old 10-31-2010, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 34
For support go to www.samsung.com and follow links for live support,phone or email...or here's a phone number I found
SupportCall: 1.800.726.7864 Not sure how helpful they are.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Samsung Bd C7900 1080p 3d Blu Ray Disc Player , Samsung Bd C6900 1080p 3d Blu Ray Disc Player , Samsung Bd Up5000 1080p Hd Dvd Blu Ray Disc Combo Player , Denon , Yamaha Ns Ap2600bl Home Theater 5 0 Speaker System , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player
Gear in this thread - C6900 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page