AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtrips View Post

Hi,

I just bought the promo package with my PN50c8000 and now I am purchasing the pre-sale release of the Oppo BDP-93. I am going to try to return the unopened the BD-C5900.

Has anyone tried to return one bought as a package? Think Best Buy will decline to accept the return (with receipt)?

I was wondering the same thing! I'd rather have the c6900 player.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 105 Old 12-11-2010, 01:11 PM

does this player have the Amazon VOB app?
post #63 of 105 Old 12-19-2010, 02:01 PM

I'm having the same problem, I have everything config right. but the GATEWAY PING test won't allow me to connect. DON"T KNOW WHERE TO GO FROM HERE>
post #64 of 105 Old 12-19-2010, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommeitz View Post

I'm having the same problem, I have everything config right. but the GATEWAY PING test won't allow me to connect. DON"T KNOW WHERE TO GO FROM HERE>

How exactly do you have it connected to your network? USB wireless dongle? Which one? Wired? Samsung's proprietary dongle? etc.
post #65 of 105 Old 12-20-2010, 10:35 AM

I have a ATT 2 wire wireless modem, I have the Samsung (WIS09ABGN) Wireless LAN Adaptor. My IP, Submask and Gateway along with my DNS are correct, of course when I check my settings the only thing keeping me from getting on line is the Gateway ping, can't find much info on it.
post #66 of 105 Old 12-20-2010, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommeitz View Post

I have a ATT 2 wire wireless modem, I have the Samsung (WIS09ABGN) Wireless LAN Adaptor. My IP, Submask and Gateway along with my DNS are correct, of course when I check my settings the only thing keeping me from getting on line is the Gateway ping, can't find much info on it.

I had the same issue, but was using a USB wireless dongle. The difference is that in my situation it wasn't guaranteed to work. But in yours, it should be working.

Anyway, I was googling for a few days on this issue and there were tons of people complaining about the same thing. Do you have a Cisco router? It may somehow related to that. Anyway there was no resolution and the thread went back a few years. Samsung was no help (have you ever tried getting technical support form them? ).

To resolve it I had to run a hard-wired Ethernet connection. Then it was fine. If that is at all possible it is something to consider. Its more work initially but then at least you have the full bandwidth and a more stable connection that WiFi.
post #67 of 105 Old 12-23-2010, 02:49 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikknightt View Post

will this unit play mp3's from a usb drive?

Yeah but it's not ideal. If you start something playing, but then go back to navigate to another directory, it will stop playback. And no playlist creation either, so you better have it ordered how you want.

MKV playback off USB works pretty well, but it doesn't always seek correctly. I was about 30 minutes into something, and wanted to jump back a couple seconds to hear what someone said, but it ended up kicking me back to the beginning of the file. I tried to fast forward to where I was again, but it wouldn't fast forward at all. I ended up rounding up cables and just attaching my laptop to the TV to finish watching it. Fast forwarding (when it does work) is also painfully slow, and it doesn't remember playback positions in files.

I can't figure out network streaming too, it sees my computer(s), but any time I go to Videos or Music, it always says nothing available. Anyone have advice on settings for my Win 7 computers?

Edit: Nevermind, helps to turn "media sharing" on
post #68 of 105 Old 01-08-2011, 05:25 PM

Any idea if there is a setting to force this player to startup at the "Home Menu" (with access to Netflix etc...) instead of defaulting to playing whatever disc happens to be in the player?

I use this a lot for streaming... and I'm pretty bad about removing discs when I'm done! Mashing the stop button as the disc is loading works - but I'd rather skip straight to the apps. I've scoured the settings, but there's nothing obvious.
post #69 of 105 Old 01-17-2011, 07:30 AM

Someone knows what king of "video processing chip" this player got ? (my old Samsung as a good Silicon Optix HQV). My Denon AVR-791 as a ABT "upscaling" chip.

...looking for a good DVD upscaling...

thx
post #70 of 105 Old 01-19-2011, 05:52 AM

Nobody knows what king of "video processing chip" this player got ?
post #71 of 105 Old 01-21-2011, 08:41 AM

I just open mine. I got it free with the TV too.
I had to change a few settings for it to work nicely even with the new Samsung TV it came with.

The BDwise setting was set to "on" on both the Bluray player and Samsung TV.
I was playing a SD DVD and it looked like crap. The BDwise setting says it will auto config with your tv for the best setting. Well thats not 100% true IMO

The Bluray sent a SD signal to the TV to figure out. (no upconversion)
I went into the bluray settings and changed the "Resolution" setting to 1080p not "BDwise" and turned on 24fps movie mode. Looked much better.

I also had to change the audio out setting to allow 5.1 audio out over Toshlink.

So settings out of the box need to be tweeked.

I had a PS3 as my bluray player before and upgraded the firmware to support 3D but could get it to work right. I had a Shrek 3D movie in the player too. The TV only did a 2D to 3D conversion. So I unboxed this unit, plugged it in and 3D started working properly with no setup. Very easy to use.

I wonder which one is better the Sony or this?

This unit also has it own picture setting e.g Dynamic, Standard as well as the TV ones....just adds more features to confuse users....sigh

I think I have the cheapest HDMI cable hooked up on the this unit and 3D seems to work fine. I don't know if its HDMI 1.3 even.

Any one have a HDMI 1.4 cable plugged into this bluray and into the Samsung TV? HDMI 1.4 is supposed to support Networking over multiple devices. So if your TV is network connected (wireless or hard wired) and is 1.4 HDMI then this player should be able to share that internet connection. Would be good for firmware updates. Can some one test? No point in buying a cable if it does not work.

Also anyone know if this unit puts out 1080p 3D signals?
The Sony PS3 I heard can only output 1080i 3D
post #72 of 105 Old 01-21-2011, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hseeng View Post

The Bluray sent a SD signal to the TV to figure out. (no upconversion)
I went into the bluray settings and changed the "Resolution" setting to 1080p not "BDwise" and turned on 24fps movie mode. Looked much better.

Did the same thing !!
post #73 of 105 Old 01-22-2011, 11:35 AM

Hi,

Newbie here, maybe this has been answered already and for that I apologise but I have searched and can't seem to find the answer!!

I have just bought a BD-C5900, I have applied the lastest update as prompted when I turned it on, I noticed that this machine should play .MKV files however I am unable to play them, I can play .AVI but when I play a .MKV I get a message saying something along the lines of "unsupported file format". I can not play any .MKV files, they play on my PC but not over the network on my BD player. I had a Cyclone MKV player which plays the files fine.

I did read somewhere that the update might to be blame, anyone know??

I have also tried as stated in another post that someone had to rename their .MKV file to .AVI in order to play over the network, this made no difference either.

This is really annoying, any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers
Andy
post #74 of 105 Old 01-23-2011, 08:56 AM

Ok, so I have tried .MKV files using a USB stick, and low and behold it works. The files I have a problem with are on my Linkstation directly connected to a router, I can play .AVI files no problem??

Someone must know what the problem is??

Cheers
Andy
post #75 of 105 Old 01-25-2011, 06:10 AM

A question for you audiophiles. I recently purchased the PN58C7000 and got the BD C5900 for free with the TV. Previously, my blu ray player was connected via HDMI to my Onkyo HT RC160, however the receiver's HDMI ports are only 1.3a (DAMN YOU PROGRSS!!!).

Needless to say, I'm going to have to connect the BD player directly to the TV via HDMI to take advantage of its 3D capabilities, which means I will have to connect to the receiver with an optical cable since this player only has one HDMI out.

With all of that said, will I be better of setting the BD player to output PCM or Bitstream over optical? My understanding is that if I set it to PCM then everything will be sent to the receiver as PCM 2ch and the Onkyo will then convert it to 5.1, whereas Bitstream will pass most formats directly to the receiver aside from Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.
post #76 of 105 Old 01-25-2011, 09:08 AM

Is there any chance you can upgrade to the BD-C7900? It has dual HDMI outputs for just your situation.
post #77 of 105 Old 01-25-2011, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddle View Post

Is there any chance you can upgrade to the BD-C7900? It has dual HDMI outputs for just your situation.

Well, yes, but that would require me to buy the new player and render the free 3D capable BD player I just got useless. I can live without the TrueHD sound for the time being at least, until I decide to upgrade the player. I was just wondering which of the two less-than-optimal solutions would work best as things stand today. Thanks.
post #78 of 105 Old 01-25-2011, 10:24 AM

I agree it wouldn't be worth it to buy a second BDP. I think some have been able to negotiate with their retailer to pay the difference between the free 5900 and 7900. Maybe it's too late to trade up and you are stuck with the 5900 + optical cable. Others with more knowledge than me can give you guidance on how to configure your BDP audio settings.
post #79 of 105 Old 01-25-2011, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddle View Post

I agree it wouldn't be worth it to buy a second BDP. I think some have been able to negotiate with their retailer to pay the difference between the free 5900 and 7900. Maybe it's too late to trade up and you are stuck with the 5900 + optical cable. Others with more knowledge than me can give you guidance on how to configure your BDP audio settings.

Hmmm...that's an interesting thought, I still have to go back to Fry's to pickup the 3D Starter kit since they were out of stock. It wouldn't hurt to ask I suppose.
post #80 of 105 Old 02-09-2011, 12:29 PM

Anyone having problems connecting?
Here is what I got going on:
Samsung 40" LED tv
Cablevision HD cable box connected via HDMI
Samsung BD-C5900 connected via HDMI

My issue:
Cable box works great
TV doesn't recognize Blu Ray player

I changed HDMI cables, changed TV's, disconnected cable box, etc...the player only works on another TV using component inputs the cable box works when connected to the other HDMI inputs so I ruled out the TV. Any suggestions? I don't know if this belongs on this forum or not. Called Samsung and they weren't any help
post #81 of 105 Old 02-17-2011, 02:31 PM

Last night my Internet apps launched an update. When it was done, most of the apps were gone. I still have Netflix, Blockbuster, Pandora and a few others but about a dozen others disappeared. Did anyone else experience this?
post #82 of 105 Old 02-20-2011, 01:30 PM

getting no audio from c5900 using optical connection. Is there a setting I've missed. Its connected to Samsung c7000 tv via HDMI cable. Anyone have any idea's
post #83 of 105 Old 02-28-2011, 01:13 PM

Is there by chance a secret key that will toggle audio streams in MKV files? The files play just fine over my wired network and I found the jump to time trick as well as the pseudo RR/FW keys when using DLNA. But is it at all possible to change audio streams?? The player seems to just play the first stream of X streams.

Up to this point I have had to remux the streams (using MKVMerge to purge them or move them around) which certainly works but is kind of a hassle. Is there anywhere where this feature can be requested in a firmware update? In looking through all of the C5500 threads for example it seems like features were added or refined over time.

Thanks!
post #84 of 105 Old 04-08-2011, 06:40 PM
Advanced Member

Can anyone please confirm that this player has no issues playing the Avatar 3D BD (perhaps only with the latest firmware and a USB thumb drive in place)?
post #85 of 105 Old 04-28-2011, 12:32 PM

Anyone else having issues with streaming Netflix HD movies on this player? The aspect ratio is wrong. It is forcing 16:9 to 4:3. I have the player set to "4:3 Letterbox", and that works fine when playing blu-rays.

Thanks.
post #86 of 105 Old 05-16-2011, 06:17 PM

Apologies - I know this must have been discussed before but have not been able to find any reference to this yet.

I have a decent sized library of older DVDs and when I play them on my BD player, some (not all) of them show the proper widescreen aspect ratio, but half the size of my display. I am using a Samsung BD-C5900 player and a Samsung Series 8000 plasma display.

Can someone clue me in on what is going on here and how I can fix this problem? I have tried all sorts of settings.

Thanks so much!

blinker
post #87 of 105 Old 05-16-2011, 06:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked: 288
You're running into non-16x9 enhanced DVD problems (some of the first DVD's on the market were usually this way). They weren't formatted for use on 16x9 (1.78:1) TV's and to your Blu-ray player they are in a standard 4x3 (1.33:1) ratio.

You end up with black bars all the way around (the player or TV adds the side black bars depending on the menu settings for 4x3 content, and the top and bottom are "burned-in" letterbox bars on the DVD), hence the small picture.

You have to use one of the Picture Zoom modes on your TV (or perhaps a Zoom mode in your player if your TV locks out Zoom features at 1080p resolution) to blow the image up in the right proportions.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
post #88 of 105 Old 06-11-2011, 05:45 PM

Hey all,

So I just picked up a Denon AVR2112CI receiver since I finally had enough high-end toys to justify a receiver with HDMI. It's fully compatible with DTS-HD, TruHD, etc, but I'm running into some problems with audio output. All of my discs (Blu-Ray and DVD) will only output audio if I set my BD-C5900 to bitstream (audiophile), while anything on Netflix will only output audio if I set it to PCM.

Any ideas on how I can fix this short of switching the output settings every time I want to watch something different?
post #89 of 105 Old 07-06-2011, 12:02 PM

I'm trying to program this BD Player into my Cox remote and all the Sammy codes in the Cox booklet don't work. Does anybody know?

Thanks!
post #90 of 105 Old 07-06-2011, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 288
The correct code for Samsung blu-ray players is 0199. However very few remotes have this code. If you get a long blink instead of a double blink, your's doesn't have the code. The $15 RCA RCRP05B has the code and will control your cable box as well. It can also learn and do macros, so it would make a better universal than the cable remote.

You could try to exchange yours for the newer model remote if you cable company has it. Only the first remote pictured on THIS page, the 8820, has the code you need.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Samsung Bd C5900 1080p 3d Blu Ray Disc Player , Samsung Bd C6900 1080p 3d Blu Ray Disc Player , Sony Bdp S370 Blu Ray Disc Player , Sony Bdp S570 3d Blu Ray Disc Player
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page