post #361 of 1323 Old 09-28-2010, 07:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by drbonbi View Post

Well, that was quite civil. No furniture broken. No windows smashed. Usually when ardent analog advocates meet up with determined digital devotees, it gets rowdy. As I was saying before the uproar, the nice thing is that OPPO accommodates both camps.

Dana

True, people can have differing opinions but I feel you have to respect both sides of this discussion as it is really a personal preference. No right or wrong IMO.

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 1323 Old 09-28-2010, 07:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

True, people can have differing opinions but I feel you have to respect both sides of this discussion as it is really a personal preference. No right or wrong IMO.

Bill

Oh, I quite agree. I was just having a little fun as some folks are quite opinionated on the subject of what audio is best. (It may have to do in part with what equipment they have paid big bucks for.)

Dana

"If you think you can, or think you can't, you're probably right." Mark Twain
post #363 of 1323 Old 09-28-2010, 08:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by livron View Post

So on Thursday I finally put the research to bed and bought the BDP-83, with 3 year warranty. Apart from the (cool?) factor of probably getting the very last one before the upgraders start dumping them on Audiogon

I got you beat by two days.
post #364 of 1323 Old 09-28-2010, 08:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

All very good points and definitely true. But in a way it is the input or output that is used that does make the difference. Kind of obvious but some might find that easier to grasp (myself included).

Bill

Um, I guess we'll have to disagree. It's not about the connectors used at all, and suggesting that it does only adds confusion, IMO. It's about the differences in audio processing (specifically, the D/A conversion) between components.
post #365 of 1323 Old 09-28-2010, 09:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by progprog View Post

Um, I guess we'll have to disagree. It's not about the connectors used at all, and suggesting that it does only adds confusion, IMO. It's about the differences in audio processing (specifically, the D/A conversion) between components.

No I agree with what you are saying. I think I did not make it clear what I meant is you have to start with saying which connection you are using then go to the next level which is what you expressed. I do not see how saying what the connection is used whether it be digital or analog will confuse many. That is unless one is fairly new to audio/video. But I would think anyone interested in or who owns Oppo BR players are fairly knowledgable.

But if you think about it the connection process has to start at a certain point whether it is a HDMI cable or analog cables that are used they are needed. Unless everything becomes wireless, I shudder to think of that.

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #366 of 1323 Old 09-29-2010, 12:04 AM
cwt
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by progprog View Post

Really? Why?

From the audioholics interview with oppo;never had a problem with mine tho this still inspires confidence

Quote:

Some common complaints about the BDP-83 were that the transport was "a bit flimsy and noisy". Have you made any updated/improvements to the transport mechanism on the BDP-93?

Regarding transport rigidity and mechanical noise reduction, yes there are significant upgrades. The transport is a custom-built loader made by Tohei Group of Japan (http://www.tohei-hq.co.jp/cgi-bin/en/index.cgi). The laser pickup is still Sony. During the development of the transport we worked closely with Tohei to control and isolate the vibration caused by the high rotation speed and heavy motor parts of the Sony laser pickup.

post #367 of 1323 Old 09-29-2010, 12:34 AM

BDP-93 will adopt the new MTK8550(3D+NTFS) as decoder

MTK8550:Netfix,3D,NTFS,ts+wav+rmvb palyable
post #368 of 1323 Old 09-29-2010, 03:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Verbal View Post

Plays wav files? As in What's-his-name HRX high resolution audio dvd's?
post #369 of 1323 Old 09-29-2010, 04:16 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:

Source?

Can this chip play FLAC?
post #370 of 1323 Old 09-29-2010, 04:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerwi View Post

glangford,

Seems like a good focus. The consumer end of the market is flooded and most at that price point don't have much use for the added features of an Oppo player. I've seen many posts stating that they are not buying the Oppo because they don't need the added media support. I guess Oppo is leaving that market to Samsung, Panasonic, LG, Pioneer and Sony just to name a few, which have nice products.

On the other hand the $500+ market for a "Universal" player is somewhat fertile. I feel like Oppo has almost done the impossible by coming out with worthy successor to the BDP-83 while holding price, where similar players from Denon and Marantz were introduced at $300 and $400 more, respectively. I’ve had a long association with Oppo and this is just Oppo being Oppo.

Willie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post

Price competition in the low end is very tough. Differentiation in the low-end will also be very tough to accomplish. For someone like OPPO who does direct sales, there is no immediate need to release a player which competes in the low end.

Look at the release of the BDP-80. It came nearly a year after the BDP-83 was on the market. OPPO was operating just fine on the BDP-83 and the BDP-83SE during that time period.

I'm not trying to pick a fight with you, nor do I wish to beat a dead horse. Just to put this into some perspective.

Here is an example of a Chinese built Blu-ray player built with an MTK 8550 and Sony loader, 7.1, networked, wifi option, remote etc. Now, it's not from BBK-Oppo, and you would have to add the Marvell or ABT chip which would add some additional cost. But you can see the wholesale price, FOB port, is $50-$100 negotiable with options and quantity. BBK-Oppo has this same kind of manufacturing capability and parts is parts. My point again is that if Oppo wants to compete in the low end, they surely have the ability. It also gives you some idea of the mark-up on product with wholesale price as a basis.

Here's the link: http://modeltime.manufacturer.global...ray-Player.htm
post #371 of 1323 Old 09-29-2010, 06:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by b curry View Post

I'm not trying to pick a fight with you, nor do I wish to beat a dead horse. Just to put this into some perspective.

Here is an example of a Chinese built Blu-ray player built with an MTK 8550 and Sony loader, 7.1, networked, wifi option, remote etc. Now, it's not from BBK-Oppo, and you would have to add the Marvell or ABT chip which would add some additional cost. But you can see the wholesale price, FOB port, is $50-$100 negotiable with options and quantity. BBK-Oppo has this same kind of manufacturing capability and parts is parts. My point again is that if Oppo wants to compete in the low end, they surely have the ability. It also gives you some idea of the mark-up on product with wholesale price as a basis.

Here's the link: http://modeltime.manufacturer.global...ray-Player.htm

b curry,

I'm not really sure what from my initial posting prompted a response from you. I never stated that Oppo couldn't produce a low cost player. If you read my post again the point that I was making is that Oppo evidently doesn't want to compete in that segment and my opinion of that has not changed.

I actually understood your response to my initial post the 1st time, but I'm still scratching my head as to your point based on my posting. However, to further my point Oppo was selling a $400.00 DVD player when other manufacturers were selling blu-ray players for less. Also, Oppo was selling the 980 and 981 for $70 - $130 more when competing upconverting DVD players were selling for less than $100. From the outside looking in it doesn't seem that Oppo wants to be lumped in with LG, Panasonic, Samsung, etc. and they feel they are a step above based on the price differential.

I hope we can move on now with two varying opinions on two different thought processes.

Willie

Pioneer Elite PRO-151FD

Zektor MAS7.1

Classé CA-2200/CA-5200

Oppo BDP-105, Denon DVD-5910CI, Cambridge 752BD, Cambridge 640C V2

Paradigm Signature S8, Paradigm Signature ADP1

Paradigm Signature ADP3, Paradigm Signature C5

REL R-505 Sub (2)

Oppo BDP-93, BDP-103D, Pioneer BDP-320

Sony BDP-S790

post #372 of 1323 Old 09-29-2010, 06:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Sure we can move on. As I said, not picking a fight.

I thought it might be interesting to see a competitive price structure from the manufacturing side for a unit somewhere in between the BDP-80 and 83 by specification. I also thought it might be interesting as the unit in the link references the MTK 8550 SoC that Mr. Verbal has referenced as being used in the BDP-93.

Sorry for your confusion, what one posts and its interpretation can often be two different things; hazard of the forum.
post #373 of 1323 Old 09-29-2010, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 364
Quote:

Maybe this will also address the SACD issues.

post #374 of 1323 Old 09-29-2010, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 286
Experienced Oppo owners,

I'm seeking opinions/advice. I had planned on getting an 83/83SE by end of yr. Since I already have a Pio BDP-09, my main objectives were to get both a universal player and region-free playback using the mod kit.

People who are used to how Oppo designs their players, do you think the existing mod kit will work on the 93 or will a new one probably be needed?

I'm trying to decide whether to get the 93 & take a chance the mod kit will work or just get an 83 from somewhere.

I do not have 3D.

I'm tempted to wait for the 93.

Steve
post #375 of 1323 Old 09-29-2010, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 78
If the 93 really uses a different chipset, then the mod kit for the the 83 is unlikely to work. On the other hand all Oppo players so far have either been region-free or region-free modifiable. I see no reason to think that this one won't be either. I would expect mod kits to be available within weeks of the player's release. It won't be region-free from the factory though, because of Blu-Ray Association licensing requirements.

post #376 of 1323 Old 09-29-2010, 08:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001 View Post

People who are used to how Oppo designs their players, do you think the existing mod kit will work on the 93 or will a new one probably be needed?

Since the BDP-80 and BDP-83 required separate mods even though they used the same Mediatek chip, I would assume the BDP-93 will also require a separate mod.

gonk
Beta tester: BDP-83 / BDP-80
post #377 of 1323 Old 09-29-2010, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn94 View Post

Maybe this will also address the SACD issues.

Since Mr. Verbal hasn't given us a source for his pronouncement, it's hard to know.

Dana

post #378 of 1323 Old 09-29-2010, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by michdys View Post

Can this chip play FLAC?

Good question.
If the chipset is capable, all it would take is for the proper code to be written to firmware to allow flac.

OPPO BETA GROUP
post #379 of 1323 Old 09-29-2010, 10:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perpendicular View Post

Good question.
If the chipset is capable, all it would take is for the proper code to be written to firmware to allow flac.

"FLAC, APE, and other audio formats will likely not be supported on our current line of products. Most likely these formats will be added to a future product platform.

Best Regards,

Customer Service
OPPO Digital, Inc.
2629B Terminal Blvd.
Mountain View, CA 94043
Service@oppodigital.com
Tel: 650-961-1118
Fax: 650-961-1119

This was a few months ago about the BDP-83. I think FLAC will be in the 93
post #380 of 1323 Old 09-29-2010, 11:06 AM

Will the new Oppo have an user interface that will allow downloading of DVD or CD covers like some of the other streaming devices?

I'm using an LG 590 to stream now & the interface is pretty ugly.
post #381 of 1323 Old 09-29-2010, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smetaxas View Post

Will the new Oppo have an user interface that will allow downloading of DVD or CD covers like some of the other streaming devices?

I'm using an LG 590 to stream now & the interface is pretty ugly.

I have read comments from reviewers that praise the current 83 GUI versus other BD players they have reviewed with which I am not personally familiar. So I think it is reasonable to imagine that the 93 will continue in this tradition. But of course we won't really know until we see it.

Dana

post #382 of 1323 Old 09-29-2010, 12:25 PM

Liked: 12
Glad I stumbled across this thread. My slot loading PS3 (which I bought in '06 and use 99% of the time for BDs) is starting to slip a little when loading discs. I think the loader mechanism isn't gripping the disc as tightly when it brings it in.

So in advance of a mechanical failure I wanted to buy a new BD player, but I have the added complexity of owning quite a few DVD-A and SACD discs which I'd prefer my new player to be able to handle. I was shocked to see the BDP-83/80 listed as "ceased" on the Oppo site so I figured I should come here and see what's up.

Glad to see that the 93 is coming out. I do hope they meet their November goal. It would be the best outcome for me since it would allow me a couple of months to save up, but not be too far away that my PS3 might die in the meanwhile.
post #383 of 1323 Old 09-29-2010, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarloM View Post

Glad I stumbled across this thread. My slot loading PS3 (which I bought in '06 and use 99% of the time for BDs) is starting to slip a little when loading discs. I think the loader mechanism isn't gripping the disc as tightly when it brings it in.

So in advance of a mechanical failure I wanted to buy a new BD player, but I have the added complexity of owning quite a few DVD-A and SACD discs which I'd prefer my new player to be able to handle. I was shocked to see the BDP-83/80 listed as "ceased" on the Oppo site so I figured I should come here and see what's up.

Glad to see that the 93 is coming out. I do hope they meet their November goal. It would be the best outcome for me since it would allow me a couple of months to save up, but not be too far away that my PS3 might die in the meanwhile.

At times I have wondered whether OPPO should use a slot loader instead of a tray. I think you have just told me why that might not be a good idea.

Dana

post #384 of 1323 Old 09-29-2010, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by drbonbi View Post

At times I have wondered whether OPPO should use a slot loader instead of a tray. I think you have just told me why that might not be a good idea.

Dana

I'm glad you are now convinced!

Oppo Beta Group
post #385 of 1323 Old 09-29-2010, 12:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by hikinokie View Post

Plays wav files? As in What's-his-name HRX high resolution audio dvd's?

Doubtful, as HRX and WAV are completely different technologies.

Quote:

Here is an example of a Chinese built Blu-ray player built with an MTK 8550 and Sony loader, 7.1, networked, wifi option, remote etc... But you can see the wholesale price, FOB port, is $50-$100 negotiable with options and quantity.

This type of comparison does not work. This kind of product only accounts for the direct hardware costs, and does not include any of the licensing associated to actually selling this player in retail channels. Someone has to pay, at minimum, license fees to the MPEG LA, BDA, Dolby Digital, and DTS.

Seeing how OPPO loves SACD and DVD-Audio, there are additional chips and licenses they have to pay to allow the playback of these formats.

Additional services, such as Netflix or MP3 media playback, will also have a licensing or pay-for-use structures.

So from a manufacturing standpoint, sure, OPPO could develop cheaper players. But add in all the additional fees associated to actually running a legitimate business, and you have greatly increased the cost of the product.

Beyond this, OPPO does not want to be Sony, Pansonic, LG, Samsung or other big box companies. They have always strove to produce high quality, low cost solutions. Competing in the low-end helps increase OPPO's userbase, but does not continue the brand building that OPPO has been working on for the past 6 years.
post #386 of 1323 Old 09-29-2010, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Neuromancer,

Exactly.

I guess you didn't read the part where I stated "...wholesale price as a basis."

In this context "basis" would reference the hardware on which a comparable machine could be based or the starting point for cost basis adjusted for factors such as license fees, shipping etc.

My point, that I guess you missed, was what the manufacturing cost of hardware for a BD player is. Fifty bucks FOB Port for comparable hardware to the Oppo gives one some understand of the mark-up. If you extend this to a $2200 MSRP Pioneer or some $3000 plus boutique machines that use and Oppo as a starting point you begin to see a bigger picture, I hope.

My intent was to address the question, how can you add more features and keep the same price point. It would seem the answer would be, it's not so difficult when the "basic" hardware costs $50 to begin with.
post #387 of 1323 Old 09-29-2010, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:

Neuromancer,

Exactly.

I guess you didn't read the part where I stated "...wholesale price as a basis."

In this context "basis" would reference the hardware on which a comparable machine could be based or the starting point for cost basis adjusted for factors such as license fees, shipping etc.

My point, that I guess you missed, was what the manufacturing cost of hardware for a BD player is. Fifty bucks FOB Port for comparable hardware to the Oppo gives one some understand of the mark-up. If you extend this to a $2200 MSRP Pioneer or some $3000 plus boutique machines that use and Oppo as a starting point you begin to see a bigger picture, I hope.

My intent was to address the question, how can you add more features and keep the same price point. It would seem the answer would be, it's not so difficult when the "basic" hardware costs $50 to begin with.

Another big reason why they will be able to sell the new 93 at the same 83 price is the fact that most software has been already developed. Software can cost much more than hardware, specially for small companies like OPPO.

Standard Definition Causes Lung Cancer, Heart Disease, Emphysema, And May Complicate Pregnancy
post #388 of 1323 Old 09-29-2010, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimoli View Post

Another big reason why they will be able to sell the new 93 at the same 83 price is the fact that most software has been already developed. Software can cost much more than hardware, specially for small companies like OPPO.

1. Only if it uses the same SoC.
  2. Oppo Digital is a business unit of BBK China.
  3. BBK is the 2nd or 3rd largest CE manufacture in China. Hardly small.
post #389 of 1323 Old 09-29-2010, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

@slimoli: I just read your tag line. More recent studies have shown that SD not only complicates pregnancy, but causes blurry children. Who wants to take that risk? Avoid it at all costs.
post #390 of 1323 Old 09-29-2010, 03:43 PM

Liked: 13
How set in stone is the change to the Marvell chipset? Everything I've read up to now seemed to lean in the direction that Oppo already made a decision yet they tweeted the following today:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OPPODigital View Post

@RescueTrain We are still evaluating the Marvell and ABT solutions. Whichever solution we choose will not lower the established performance.

Closed Thread Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page