post #631 of 1323 Old 10-05-2010, 05:36 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by kutlow View Post

so if I have a Dennon 4308CI avr which is 1.3 hdmi and a new JVC RS 50 which is 3d hdmi 1.4 and If I get a oppo 93 which is hdmi 1.4 I can watch a 3d movie? So I dont have to replace my Dennon correct?

Exactly.

So much media, so little time...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 1323 Old 10-05-2010, 05:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kutlow View Post

so if I have a Dennon 4308CI avr which is 1.3 hdmi and a new JVC RS 50 which is 3d hdmi 1.4 and If I get a oppo 93 which is hdmi 1.4 I can watch a 3d movie? So I dont have to replace my Dennon correct?

Precisely!

gonk
Beta tester:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #633 of 1323 Old 10-05-2010, 06:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by progprog View Post

I think you missed my point, JimboG. I wasn't trashing the BDP-83SE, and I'm glad it proved to be the best, most economical solution for your set-up. Nor was I evaluating the DACs in anyone's receiver, or comparing them to the 83SE's, or comparing them to mine (don't know why you thought I have a "flagship Denon AV Receiver"...I don't). I was simply saying that most people don't use their BD player's analog audio section, making it, essentially, an accessory. Like a luggage rack. Great for those who need it, useless for those who don't.

My apologies. You have a pre-pro, and a very nice one at that! I sincerely am envious.

I've been looking to replace my Outlaw 950 with something modern and HDMI-capable pretty much since the PlayStation 3 launched with a choice of two channel analog or multichannel audio through HDMI only. Unfortunately the landscape is littered with HDMI pre-pros that didn't make it to market on time (Emotiva UMC) or didn't make it to market at all (Outlaw 997). The BDP-83SE did a good job of letting me get a little more life out of my non-HDMI pre-pro while also acting as a cheap introduction to network streamed audio and video.

On which note, I really hope the new OPPO-93 has 24-bit FLAC support right from the get go. Being able to work as a dumb DLNA renderer would be pretty nice too. I don't want to have to turn on the projector every time I use the OPPO to stream music from my computer. Hopefully one of the beta testers can "hint" whether the streaming capabilities of the 93 are better than the 83.

Free over the air HDTV + Tivo HD + Netflix for Blu-ray and streaming = Bliss
post #634 of 1323 Old 10-05-2010, 08:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by progprog View Post

most people don't use their BD player's analog audio section

I wonder if that is really the case. I'd think eventually that would be true - although one might be justified in wondering whether bluray will outlast the need for anlog output or the other way around - but is it true now? Certainly the majority of people I know who have bought a bluray player do not yet have an HDMI-capable preamp.

There are some pretty significant advantages to using HDMI in my opinion, although I can appreciate the desire to not have to upgrade the preamp just to get HDMI.

Certainty and conviction are a sure sign you don't know what you're talking about! The world is not black and white, rather shades of grey!
post #635 of 1323 Old 10-06-2010, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca1ore View Post

I wonder if that is really the case. I'd think eventually that would be true - although one might be justified in wondering whether bluray will outlast the need for anlog output or the other way around - but is it true now? Certainly the majority of people I know who have bought a bluray player do not yet have an HDMI-capable preamp.

But most of those people would be using the digital coax or optical outputs, in which case too the analog outputs are not used.
post #636 of 1323 Old 10-06-2010, 01:52 AM

I am wondering if the new BDP-93 will support multiple 3D formats such as frame sequential and DLP checkerboard, and have the capability to switch back and forth?

Currently only the Panasonic 3D Blu-ray player I believe has this function.
post #637 of 1323 Old 10-06-2010, 02:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewPannyGuy View Post

But most of those people would be using the digital coax or optical outputs, in which case too the analog outputs are not used.

Not true though if they want to take advantage of TrueHD or DTS MA. Most people with non-HDMI receivers or pre/pros would also be lacking TrueHD and DTS MA decoding. The only way to get the decoding from the 83's internal decoders to your system would be via analog outs. I suspect there is a lot more use of analog outs than you would think for this reason, if no other.

post #638 of 1323 Old 10-06-2010, 03:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzGuyy View Post

... The only way to get the decoding from the 83's internal decoders to your system would be via analog outs. I suspect there is a lot more use of analog outs than you would think for this reason, if no other.

Right !!

Plus, there's some important really hi-end analog vintage devices with their cool characters that accept only analog signals ... Think at Tube devices ....

The "world" isn't made only by latest fashions or pushing tendecies to digital at all costs ....
post #639 of 1323 Old 10-06-2010, 03:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 386
Quote:

Not true though if they want to take advantage of TrueHD or DTS MA. Most people with non-HDMI receivers or pre/pros would also be lacking TrueHD and DTS MA decoding. The only way to get the decoding from the 83's internal decoders to your system would be via analog outs. I suspect there is a lot more use of analog outs than you would think for this reason, if no other.

Exactly my situation. I really like my Anthem AVM 30, and I HAVE to use the analog inputs to get the advanced codecs. Would I prefer to use an AVM 50 to use HDMI? Sure, but that would be an expensive proposition.
post #640 of 1323 Old 10-06-2010, 05:46 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:

While that's all true, there are a LOT of people out there who aren't AVS Forum members, don't read Home Theater magazine, and just don't have a clue what TrueHD and DTS MA are. There are a lot of people out there who have a Bluray player but don't have a surround sound system. People like my parents, for example. They connect the HDMI output from the Bluray player to their TV and listen to the sound from the TV (yuck, but they're happy...). I suspect there are a LOT more of these types of people out there than enthusiasts using tube gear and/or have a clue about what they're doing. Those people have absolutely no need for analog outputs. One could argue that those people probably should just stick with DVD, but my parents do appreciate the better picture. They appreciate the much better sound when they see a movie at my place, but they just don't care enough to do anything about it at home (and my mom would have a fit if speakers could be seen in the room and won't go for in-wall speakers either).
post #641 of 1323 Old 10-06-2010, 06:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertR View Post

Exactly my situation. I really like my Anthem AVM 30, and I HAVE to use the analog inputs to get the advanced codecs. Would I prefer to use an AVM 50 to use HDMI? Sure, but that would be an expensive proposition.

I had an AVM 30 as well and have been seriously tempted to pick one up on Audiogon to use with my BDP-83SE. But I would be giving up Audyssey and the convenience of HDMI. There is a AVM 50 on Audiogon now but it does not have ARC. The 5.1 analog input of the AVM 30 is so versatile in that you can do a straight pass through or add DSP/BM processing.

Bill

, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #642 of 1323 Old 10-06-2010, 06:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post

While that's all true, there are a LOT of people out there who aren't AVS Forum members, don't read Home Theater magazine, and just don't have a clue what TrueHD and DTS MA are. There are a lot of people out there who have a Bluray player but don't have a surround sound system. People like my parents, for example. They connect the HDMI output from the Bluray player to their TV and listen to the sound from the TV (yuck, but they're happy...). I suspect there are a LOT more of these types of people out there than enthusiasts using tube gear and/or have a clue about what they're doing. Those people have absolutely no need for analog outputs. One could argue that those people probably should just stick with DVD, but my parents do appreciate the better picture. They appreciate the much better sound when they see a movie at my place, but they just don't care enough to do anything about it at home (and my mom would have a fit if speakers could be seen in the room and won't go for in-wall speakers either).

Right ! For those people or for who didn't need analog outs, Exist Entry Level BD Players I believe that either Oppo in the future ( after to have released the 93 and 95 ) will do the 90 Entry Level better price model ...
post #643 of 1323 Old 10-06-2010, 06:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by avsscientist View Post

I am wondering if the new BDP-93 will support multiple 3D formats such as frame sequential and DLP checkerboard, and have the capability to switch back and forth?

Currently only the Panasonic 3D Blu-ray player I believe has this function.

The answers you seek are in this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snickering Hound View Post

Got an answer from Customer Support as to whether this player will support the checkerboard format used by Mitsubishi and Samsung DLP 3d sets:

At this time this 3D player will be full 3D (1080p/24Hz). We do not know if we will be able to make the player support Checkboard 3D before or after it ships.

"The dream never dies, just the dreamer."

post #644 of 1323 Old 10-06-2010, 06:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I don't think people like your parents are likely to even consider an Oppo player. It would be way above the amount of money they would be interested in spending. For the Oppo market, the use of analog audio outs is probably a lot higher than it would be for those who buy their video equipment at Target, Wal-Mart and Best Buy. The Oppo is, I think, deliberately directed toward a more educated market of audiophiles and videophiles and others who value quality above price. I don't see Oppo ever serving the mass market.

post #645 of 1323 Old 10-06-2010, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 365
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertR View Post

+1

I love my AVM 20 and don't want to replace it just to get HDMI. It would be very expensive to get the same performance/flexability and HDMI in a new processor.

post #646 of 1323 Old 10-06-2010, 09:59 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 11
There are new Oppo ads in Widescreen Review for a new Oppo BR player, but AVS is still advertising the 83.
I wonder when the new ad will appear on AVS?

Mike

post #647 of 1323 Old 10-06-2010, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 24
can you scan the ad for the thread?

Jacob
post #648 of 1323 Old 10-06-2010, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_WI View Post

There are new Oppo ads in Widescreen Review for a new Oppo BR player, but AVS is still advertising the 83.
I wonder when the new ad will appear on AVS?

Mike

print or .com?

"The dream never dies, just the dreamer."

post #649 of 1323 Old 10-06-2010, 10:09 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob305 View Post

can you scan the ad for the thread?

Jacob

I don't have print version at work with me, but may not have time when home.
I looked online:
http://www.widescreenreview.com/

...and didn't see any pop-ups with it.

Mike

post #650 of 1323 Old 10-06-2010, 10:10 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew4msu View Post

print or .com?

It was in the print version, issue #150 I believe.

Mike

post #651 of 1323 Old 10-06-2010, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I didnt see it either at the widescreen site.
that new issue? what is on the cover?

Jacob
post #652 of 1323 Old 10-06-2010, 10:21 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob305 View Post

I didnt see it either at the widescreen site.
that new issue? what is on the cover?

Jacob

Issue #150 (noted the 150th issue on cover)
Also, the cover had the Aliens BR set on cover. I can't recall what else was on there.

The online version only has issue #149 up:
http://www.widescreenreview.com/wsr_attractions.php

Mike

post #653 of 1323 Old 10-06-2010, 11:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 172
The ad is on page 17. It is literally the same image and text that is on the BDP-93 page.

The only difference is that "New Blu-ray Player COMING SOON ..." is placed on two lines in the ad.
post #654 of 1323 Old 10-06-2010, 02:42 PM

Perhaps I have misunderstood or this is not a big deal to others, but NTFS\\ESata would be enough for me to purchase the 93 (and I already have an 83). Being able to use it with direct-attached storage that is not limited by FAT\\FAT32 is a major factor. Am I right in my understanding that this unit will be able to address a SATA HDD that has been formatted with NTFS or did I misunderstand something?
post #655 of 1323 Old 10-06-2010, 03:08 PM
AVS Special Member

At this point this is an unknown. The only thing known is there will be an eSata connection. You, like everyone, will have to wait for the official product announcement that will detail what will and won't be supported.

post #656 of 1323 Old 10-06-2010, 03:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:

At this point this is an unknown. The only thing known is there will be an eSata connection. You, like everyone, will have to wait for the official product announcement that will detail what will and won't be supported.

I think it will support NTFS. I am yet to see any device with ESATA which is limited to FAT32, it just doesn't make any sense. My hunch is that we will see several features implemented in several different firmware upgrades. I will be happy if the Oppo 93 works full featured in 6 months.

Standard Definition Causes Lung Cancer, Heart Disease, Emphysema, And May Complicate Pregnancy
post #657 of 1323 Old 10-06-2010, 03:59 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Yew - I read about 75% of this thread and I am pumped about the 93SE or whatever it ends up being called.

This is great.....

Gaugster
post #658 of 1323 Old 10-06-2010, 04:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
The simplified front panel layout is awesome. I hope this means that we can buy a $100 front panel upgrade from Oppo to get the unit in silver, instead of having to wait a year to see see a silver version offered with a $3,000 markup like Lexicon and Theta...
post #659 of 1323 Old 10-06-2010, 04:43 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Nielsen View Post

The simplified front panel layout is awesome. I hope this means that we can buy a $100 front panel upgrade from Oppo to get the unit in silver, instead of having to wait a year to see see a silver version offered with a $3,000 markup like Lexicon and Theta...

Very good this time they might disguise it and make it in GOLD

My humble Cinema
post #660 of 1323 Old 10-06-2010, 04:45 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked: 334
Quote:

SAME HERE, generations

My humble Cinema
Closed Thread Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page