post #721 of 1323 Old 10-10-2010, 09:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by D_B_0673 View Post

This AVR is 7 years old and has worked great for me so far. At least on BluRay legacy DTS and dolby are better than they are on DVD's (higher bit rates if I am correct) I just occasionally wonder how much if anything I am missing by not getting the HD audio Codecs. Some say the difference is not that great and with my less than steller 59 year old ears I might not even be able to appreciate it. But the upgrade itch never stops although I do resist it fairly well

I think I only paid about $1500 for it from AV123 in 2003.

The primary benefits from upgrading to a new AVR will come not from the HD audio codecs but from vastly improved DAC and DSP technology, EQ and the like. Well worth the $$ IMHO, not to mention the convenience of adding HDMI capability.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 1323 Old 10-10-2010, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

This AVR is 7 years old and has worked great for me so far. At least on BluRay legacy DTS and dolby are better than they are on DVD's (higher bit rates if I am correct) I just occasionally wonder how much if anything I am missing by not getting the HD audio Codecs. Some say the difference is not that great and with my less than steller 59 year old ears I might not even be able to appreciate it. But the upgrade itch never stops although I do resist it fairly well

I'm one of those that does think the HD codecs make a huge difference. (But I consider audio as important as video when watching movies, and I acknowledge that different systems vary in their ability to resolve the differences.) These days, $1500 can buy you a lot of receiver. Even for a lot less than that, you could get the improved processing rdgrimes described, advanced room correction/bass management technologies that weren't available seven years ago, and the added performance (it's not just a convenience) of HDMI.

If you have a decent set of speakers, I also think the investment in a new AVR would be a well worth the money.
post #723 of 1323 Old 10-10-2010, 01:59 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by progprog View Post

I'm one of those that does think the HD codecs make a huge difference. (But I consider audio as important as video when watching movies, and I acknowledge that different systems vary in their ability to resolve the differences.) These days, $1500 can buy you a lot of receiver. Even for a lot less than that, you could get the improved processing rdgrimes described, advanced room correction/bass management technologies that weren't available seven years ago, and the added performance (it's not just a convenience) of HDMI.

If you have a decent set of speakers, I also think the investment in a new AVR would be a well worth the money.

But would 'less than steller 59 year old ears' be able to appreciate the difference and thus benefit from the investment?

Denon X4000: Yamaha AS500;TS500;CDS300: Pioneer BDP62FD;BDP23FD;DV58AV;DV610: Panasonic DMP-BDT500; Sony BDP-S790; Samsung PS60E6500
post #724 of 1323 Old 10-10-2010, 02:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacklion View Post

But would 'less than steller 59 year old ears' be able to appreciate the difference and thus benefit from the investment?

Short answer is "yes".

Playing back a Blu Ray that has DTS-MA or DD HD compared to the "regular" DD track is quite noticeable. My -83 using the MCH analog outs to my previous Denon AVR-4802 was outstanding.

This drove to the Denon AVR-4310 upgrade via HDMI which provided the bass management and Audyssey software (which in my case I implemented "front height" channels) to grow from the MCH.

The investment does not have to be $1500... there are many sub $1000 options a few good sub $600 units.

In the end, though, it is up to you to decide....
post #725 of 1323 Old 10-10-2010, 03:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by progprog View Post

I will upgrade at some point but am holding a little tighter onto cash right now. Was/Am very intersted in the Pio SC-27 or SC-35 with the ICE amps. Thanks to all who have helped clear up the analog issue. I have a much better understanding of why the BluRay players do what they do now.

Dan
post #726 of 1323 Old 10-10-2010, 05:46 PM

Liked: 10
Does the BDP93 have the ESS Sabre32 DAC?
What are the BDP93's audio features?
post #727 of 1323 Old 10-10-2010, 05:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:

If you've heard the select DVDs with the full-fledged 1.5mbps DTS tracks (most of the early DTS DVD releases), you've pretty much experienced the full capabilities of the new lossless codecs. The difference between 1.5mbps DTS lossy and the lossless codecs is more marketing than anything else IMO, and I have a fairly nice audio setup. Some of the studios game the lossless tracks with better masters than the lossy tracks if there are both on the same disc, similar to how Sony did with hybrid SACDs (using a much better master for the SACD layer than the CD layer on purpose so you go "WOW, the SACD/truehd/dts-ma/etc mode sounds so much better!!"). The mastering, Room EQ, digital processing mode, etc, makes a much larger difference than the actual codec does - take a listen to the TrueHD vs DTS-HDMA Top Gun Blu-ray for an example of this. Two lossless codecs on the same movie sounding totally different - the DTS-MA soundtrack decoded as standard 1.5mbps DTS sounds better than the lossless truehd mix.
post #728 of 1323 Old 10-10-2010, 06:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandrake2003 View Post

Does the BDP93 have the ESS Sabre32 DAC?
What are the BDP93's audio features?

We don't know. The fact that OPPO has hinted at a higher-end player to follow the BDP-93 (likely called the BDP-95 based on a comment someone got from Netflix) makes me suspect that the 93 will have an analog section similar to the 83, with the ESS DAC's saved for the higher-end model.

gonk
Beta tester: BDP-83 / BDP-80
post #729 of 1323 Old 10-10-2010, 06:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

Weren't the display vendors supposed to provide converter boxes for these early 3D displays? Is Samsung the chief offender for not doing so?

I believe some Panasonic players produce checkerboard.

-Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by gene9p View Post

what is that?..I am not into the 3d thing but am curious about your post since i have friends that are

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruined View Post

The Mitsubishi 3DC1 adapter is only $99...

Sorry I was away for the past day.
I do not want to buy a converter box for My Mitsubishi when Panasonic players produce checkerboard. So I will buy Panasonic 300 3D player.

Sorry OPPO you are losing my sale and many many more sales because of not supporting checkerboard and OPPO says they support all.Funny!
post #730 of 1323 Old 10-10-2010, 08:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 24
what is the problem with the oppo not having the checker thing for 3D? the oppo in general is a better player. if the panasonic 3D players are anything like my 85 player.. means that there is a problem.

I plan to upgrade to the oppo 93 because of how much I enjoy the 83. its the best player out there. good luck with the panasonic.

Jacob
post #731 of 1323 Old 10-10-2010, 08:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Daniel Murray -- You need to read this article on 3D formats: http://www.projectorcentral.com/what...ready_mean.htm.

The "Checkerboard" format was an old legacy (interim) 3D format that was created before the Blu-Ray formats were even specified. It is an obsolete format that is not part of the HDMI 1.4 & 1.4a specification. It is also not a format supported by any projector nor the newer 3D flat panel (LCD and Plasma) displays.

If you have a legacy 3D display that only recognizes the "Checkerboard" format, you can buy a converter box that is able to convert frame-packed or side-by-side 3D to a checkerboard TV signal for your display. There is no solution to do the reverse (and no 3D BD discs that use the "Checkerboard" 3D TV format).

In searching through this thread, I only found one link to the Audioholics article. FYI, here it is again: http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/t...ay/oppo-bdp-93.

They are working on a BDP-90 version (to replace the BDP-80). There will also be a BDP-93SE version, a totally new design, which will be released later next year.

The other question that keeps popping up is the size of the BDP-93. It is the same height and width as the BDP-83, but is only half as deep (so it can be placed on a shallower shelf). It weighs more than the BDP-83, in part due to the heftier loader, which is not as "flimsy", and a lot quieter, than the one in the BDP-83.

The addition of an eSATA connector should enable the use of an external HDD (my guess it's for being able to play movies stored on it). The Wireless-N capability and the network connector should enable streaming from your home network and other sources, such as Netflix, and others (certifications in process).

- Claus {non-Santa model}
post #732 of 1323 Old 10-10-2010, 08:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT_Wiebe View Post

It is the same height and width as the BDP-83, but is only half as deep (so it can be placed on a shallower shelf).

I believe the consensus is that that is a misprint and it's supposed to be 1/2" less depth.

"The dream never dies, just the dreamer."

post #733 of 1323 Old 10-10-2010, 09:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The other question that keeps popping up is the size of the BDP-93. It is the same height and width as the BDP-83, but is only half as deep (so it can be placed on a shallower shelf). It weighs more than the BDP-83, in part due to the heftier loader, which is not as "flimsy", and a lot quieter, than the one in the BDP-83.

I'm pretty certain from the pictures that this was a typo - the BDP-93 couldn't be half as deep as the BDP-83 and fit everything inside. It could be half an inch less deep, though.

Note to editors: units of measure are important.

gonk
post #734 of 1323 Old 10-10-2010, 10:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Deja Vu

"The dream never dies, just the dreamer."

post #735 of 1323 Old 10-10-2010, 10:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew4msu View Post

I believe the consensus is that that is a misprint and it's supposed to be 1/2" less depth.

It is indeed 1/2" less deep. I gave the measurements of the player several pages back:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post

The player is 16-7/8 x 12-3/4 x 3" (though I will say that the front faceplate is slightly wider than the chasis, which means the front faceplate is more like 17", with the chasis being 16-7/8").

post #736 of 1323 Old 10-10-2010, 10:58 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

They are working on a BDP-90 version (to replace the BDP-80). There will also be a BDP-93SE version, a totally new design, which will be released later next year.

Wow, I thought the replacement for the 83SE was the all new 95? And this is the first I heard of a replacement for the 80.

Denon X4000: Yamaha AS500;TS500;CDS300: Pioneer BDP62FD;BDP23FD;DV58AV;DV610: Panasonic DMP-BDT500; Sony BDP-S790; Samsung PS60E6500
post #737 of 1323 Old 10-10-2010, 11:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 175
The BDP-95 is the replacement for the BDP-83SE.

There is no replacement for the BDP-80. OPPO has been very straight about this.
post #738 of 1323 Old 10-10-2010, 11:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:

Was/Am very intersted in the Pio SC-27 or SC-35 with the ICE amps.

+1
Go for it!
You will not regret it.

Quote:

Where did you get your information about a possible BDP-80 replacement?
Did you pull it out of a hat?

OPPO BETA GROUP
post #739 of 1323 Old 10-11-2010, 12:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonk View Post

We don't know. The fact that OPPO has hinted at a higher-end player to follow the BDP-93 (likely called the BDP-95 based on a comment someone got from Netflix) makes me suspect that the 93 will have an analog section similar to the 83, with the ESS DAC's saved for the higher-end model.

Again ... we don't know at now !
There's a probability ( due having too "saved money" into "killed" dedicate Stereo outs in 93 model) to see ESS Sabre 9006 7.1 in 93 model and Ess Sabre32 9016 in 95 model ( better if x4 dacs in quad stack )
Who knows at now .....
Anyway, I know for sure that for both models we will have to see the "born" of the respective NuForce Edition by NuForce
post #740 of 1323 Old 10-11-2010, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Highlander, give it a rest! You posted the same for the -83 during its development, and now you constantly post here about the -93's DACs. Eventually you will be given the specs, and then you can give your diatribe about the worthiness of Oppo's choices!
post #741 of 1323 Old 10-11-2010, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Maybe you misunderstood my last post
This wasn't do to point my finger at Oppo or criticize .. but the exact opposite
I wrote the way I think they've taken

Sorry if it seamed like a complaint ...
post #742 of 1323 Old 10-11-2010, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Hey guys, I apologize. I retract my statements on the new Oppo's. I must have been dreaming.

I went back and reread the Audioholics article. In retrospect, it sure does look like they dropped the inch mark in their statement of the unit depth. Being a 1/2 inch less deep certainly makes a lot more sense. I also sure thought I had read info about a BDP-90, but it's not there -- they didn't say anything about a BDP-80 replacement, or if it would be replaced at all.

They also did not say what the BDP-83SE replacement's number would to be. Since it will be a totally new unit, calling it a BDP-95 (or something else) also makes more sense.

My conclusion is that AVS members have more accurate information than the members in the HomeTheaterShack Forum. I should have known to "read it here, first". My bad.

Stew4msu -- I'm just down the road (~380 miles) from you. I rolled (at least my van did ) into Odessa last Wednesday night. Visiting with an ill relative right how.

post #743 of 1323 Old 10-11-2010, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highlander_AVS View Post

There's a probability ( due having too "saved money" into "killed" dedicate Stereo outs in 93 model) to see ESS Sabre 9006 7.1 in 93 model and Ess Sabre32 9016 in 95 model ( better if x4 dacs in quad stack )
Who knows at now .....
Anyway, I know for sure that for both models we will have to see the "born" of the respective NuForce Edition by NuForce

Quote:

Maybe you misunderstood my last post
This wasn't do to point my finger at Oppo or criticize .. but the exact opposite
I wrote the way I think they've taken

Sorry if it seamed like a complaint ...

I understand that it is your hope that OPPO will employ ESS DAC's in the BDP-93, but we have no evidence yet to support that. As long as this is the case, I don't want to get casual readers' hopes up by suggesting an analog section any better than the 7.1 analog found in the BDP-83 (which is based on one of Cirrus's best eight-channel DAC chips). With that in mind, I'd suggest that your statement of "probability" in your earlier post is far too strong a word. For now, I will continue to suggest that the BDP-83's 7.1 analog output is the most likely point of comparison until we hear specifics.

gonk
post #744 of 1323 Old 10-11-2010, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

They also did not say what the BDP-83SE replacement's number would to be. Since it will be a totally new unit, calling it a BDP-95 (or something else) also makes more sense.

The BDP-95 name is actually based on a report from someone in this thread who called Netflix and asked if the BDP-93 was really going to support Netflix. The rep at Netflix confirmed that the "93 and 95" were both going through certification testing. Folks in this thread have assumed that the Netflix reference to a "95" and the comments from OPPO to Audioholics about a separate player planned as an 83SE replacement are both referring to the same player.

gonk
post #745 of 1323 Old 10-11-2010, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonk View Post

I understand that it is your hope that OPPO will employ ESS DAC's in the BDP-93, but we have no evidence yet to support that. As long as this is the case, I don't want to get casual readers' hopes up by suggesting an analog section any better than the 7.1 analog found in the BDP-83 (which is based on one of Cirrus's best eight-channel DAC chips). With that in mind, I'd suggest that your statement of "probability" in your earlier post is far too strong a word. For now, I will continue to suggest that the BDP-83's 7.1 analog output is the most likely point of comparison until we hear specifics.

Right ! and agree !
post #746 of 1323 Old 10-11-2010, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 24
all that I know is that I am looking forward to the new player like the rest of you. sure the suspense on what is going to be on it is hurting everyone. I am sure it will be worth the wait.

Jacob
post #747 of 1323 Old 10-11-2010, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

We should know what the detailed specs will be in about a month. I registered with Oppo for notification of the BDP-93 availability.

I was planning on getting a BDP-83, but how it looks like I may have a BDP-93 for Christmas. I'm keeping my fingers crossed, anyway.

Since I live about 25 miles from their headquarters, I will pick it up right from them. Their headquarters are right across US-101 from where I used to work.

post #748 of 1323 Old 10-11-2010, 09:23 AM
cwt
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:

Hmm probability or possibility ? Possibility also the 93 will get the cirrus logic 2ch 4398 dacs as an upgrade from the 4382 multi analog . Its obvious oppo is putting more emphasis on hdmi rather than analog with this model and the reference analog model will have the better analog stages ; more differentiation the better marketing wise yes ? [ its not just the dac type ; its how its implemented ]

btw found an interesting tidbit on a modification website [ yes plans already to modify the 93's analog ] about why the 83s '' component supply'' dried up .Take with as much salt as needed but the oppo loader switches gives pause
Quote:
We knew that the 83 had a finite life ahead of it, but it was not originally scheduled to be terminated at this point in its life-cycle. The problem came from Sony, who supplied the optical drives for the 83 series. We HAVE done quite a bit of investigating, and got an 'insider story' about what really happened, not the 'official' public story that has a spin of political correctness to it. We are preparing an update to our Oppo web pages that will explain the situation as we heard about it for someone employed by a well known company whose CEO is buddies with folks at Sony, and ended up chatting about what HE heard from them.....

post #749 of 1323 Old 10-11-2010, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Daniel Murray -- FYI, I just found out that the Panasonic BDP-350 will output the "Checkerboard" 3D format. See http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...ostcount=27598. You posted your question in that thread too.

post #750 of 1323 Old 10-11-2010, 11:16 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
The Panasonic 100 series of 3D players also has checker board and side by side options for 3D playback. I suspect that all the 3D Pannies have the same capability.

FWIW, the BDT-107 seems a little faster to load than the BDP-83. No contest on DVD playback, 83 much better. Netflix stream is not terrible, saw first third of Amadeus to check out advertised HD quality, looked like a good DVD, but there were several interruptions while the buffers got re-filled. Maybe during an off time when my cable modem fiber network is lightly loaded the interruptions would go away.

Dave
Closed Thread Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page