post #91 of 1323 Old 09-24-2010, 07:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruined View Post

I'm not sure it was ever officially specified. It may be the case as it is old, but that is a good thing as joerod and several others who owned both the BDP-09FD and ABT2010 devices often preferred the QDEO output to the ABT2010. So an even more advanced chipset would be great.

I have both digital and full analog preamps in the same rack, thus both player analog output stage & player DLNA streaming are important to take advantage of the analog pre. Its a lot easier to optimize the analog bypass pre for 2ch music and the digital pre for movies than to attempt to optimize a digital pre for both.

Ruined,

Thanks for the response. I respect joerod's preference of the QDEO over the ABT and I will take a hard look when I have both in my possession. I hope the QDEO has the same implementaion of the zoom function as the ABT. However, if the QDEO is indeed a step up I'm happy that Oppo recognized this and responded appropriately.

Also, I presently have no use for DLNA, but that could change and thanks for the explanation.

I'm stilled amazed at how Oppo was able to significantly improve upon the BDP-83 and hold price.

Willie

Pioneer Elite PRO-151FD

Zektor MAS7.1

Classé CA-2200/CA-5200

Oppo BDP-105, Denon DVD-5910CI, Cambridge 752BD, Cambridge 640C V2

Paradigm Signature S8, Paradigm Signature ADP1

Paradigm Signature ADP3, Paradigm Signature C5

REL R-505 Sub (2)

Oppo BDP-93, BDP-103D, Pioneer BDP-320

Sony BDP-S790

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 1323 Old 09-24-2010, 07:25 AM
TRT
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Seriously: Wouldn't a universal player that satisfied everyone and had ALL of the features everyone thinks should be included be the size of the computer that controlled the Apollo 11 launch? The ten pounds of apples in a five pound bag theory comes to mind. There are quite a few smart people on this planet. Don't you think if the perfect universal player could be built, someone would have built it by now?
post #93 of 1323 Old 09-24-2010, 07:26 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Is the Audio section active on all outputs all the time ?

Nothing's Perfect So Stop Expecting It ! Glenee

post #94 of 1323 Old 09-24-2010, 07:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRT View Post

I just read this thread. I have a few questions. Considering all of the: "If it doesn't do this, I'm not buying it" post; Why aren't the majority of you looking at systems like Dune or equivalents? Clearly, most of you are looking for a player that can transmit files obtained by other means than physical media. Why do you keep evaluating units that obviously must comply with the DRM police establishment? Does anyone truly believe that Oppo wants to be in and out of a courtroom every other day in order to satisfy the small group of audiophiles that patrol these forums? I don't get it. There are other alternatives that are reasonably priced that can accomplish streaming the dozens of files that mass producers can't possibly allow legally. The reason Kalidescape cost so much: To pay for their legal fees! I wish we could have $5000 worth of features in a $200 box as much as the next guy, but it can't be done. No one is ever satisfied. Great unit, but it's made in China. Great unit, but it cost too much. Great unit, but it's not region free. Great unit, but the video processor is not up to snuff. Great unit, but it's too bad it only comes in black. Never---EVER---satisfied. Sony literally gave away the PS3 initially for $900 under cost, and that wasn't good enough. AVS should change the name of this forum to......Wait for it......."The Player Haters Forum" Perfect! We'll let Dave Chappell moderate. Now that's entertainment!

How 'bout this: Just make a great product that can do one thing great! If that means I have to buy 5 separate units to acquire a reference system, so be it. That's why processors have multiple inputs. Universal players are like HTiB: You pay for what you get!

+1 and a Great Post! I like you are tired of people whining about what a player can't do as opposed to what it can do. There is no single transport that I am aware of that does everything. I'm tired of reading that something is a "Deal Breaker" or "If it doesn't do this, I'm not buying it". When did manufacturers start negotiating with consumers over features. If a component doesn't do what you need it to do then don't buy it. But whether you buy it or not and the reasons for your decision are not important me and probably many on the various threads.

It's ok to wish that a component had a certain feature or functionality that you desire.

Willie

Pioneer Elite PRO-151FD

Zektor MAS7.1

Classé CA-2200/CA-5200

REL R-505 Sub (2)

Sony BDP-S790

post #95 of 1323 Old 09-24-2010, 07:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 10
Barring a shocking botch and atypical form I suspect this 93 is going to be an easy no brainer for a lot of folks. I already emailed them like probably a bunch of other people have to ask them about if they're going to do that whole EAP thing again, preorder situations, and the rest of it.

I fully intend to be in the first wave of folks getting this thing when it streets.

Great ISF Job by Chad B.
post #96 of 1323 Old 09-24-2010, 08:20 AM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Are there any links to objective testing of this QDEO video processor? From the Marvell website I found this, which is kinda scary for people who want to see exactly what is on the disc or video stream (unless some of the things can be defeated):

"Qdeo™ refers to a suite of QuietVideo™ processing technologies that produce quiet and natural video free from noise and artifacts.

Qdeo processing includes three main stages:

* Noise Reduction: Per-pixel noise and compression artifact reduction removing noise inherent in digital video.
* Format Conversion: Per-pixel motion-adaptive 3D de-interlacing and advanced nonlinear scaling transforming the image to the desired resolution while suppressing artifacts like feathering and jaggies.
* Enhancement: 2D Edge Enhancement increasing detail and sensation of depth, Adaptive Contrast Enhancement (ACE) providing larger dynamic range and Intelligent Color Remapping (ICR) rendering rich and vivid images.

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #97 of 1323 Old 09-24-2010, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

Very nice indeed.

I've just replaced my old player a couple of months ago so it's too late for this round, but next year when the upgraded 93 appears I might be tempted.

I just bought a Panasonic BDP-85 to supplement my Oppo-BDP-83, mainly for netflix, but it also does a nice job at DVD upconversion. The 93 is too late for me as well, but maybe the 1083, 1183??
post #98 of 1323 Old 09-24-2010, 08:30 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenee View Post

Is the Audio section active on all outputs all the time ?

This has been the case for every OPPO player so far.

-Bill
post #99 of 1323 Old 09-24-2010, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigVid View Post

The Oppo BDP-93 3D BD player looks interesting. I think I would miss the ABT 2010; however, the Marvell was used in Sony's S5000ES, so it's no slouch. No mention of: SACD, DVD-A, HDCD. Are these still in there? I can appreciate the inclusion of Netflix, et al; but, I sure hope they haven't dumped the old standards...

You can see the SACD and DVD-A logos on the front if you look closely.
post #100 of 1323 Old 09-24-2010, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I know that you got the 85 player. I would still invest on the new oppo.

Jacob
post #101 of 1323 Old 09-24-2010, 08:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper View Post

Are there any links to objective testing of this QDEO video processor? From the Marvell website I found this, which is kinda scary for people who want to see exactly what is on the disc or video stream (unless some of the things can be defeated):

"Qdeo refers to a suite of QuietVideo processing technologies that produce quiet and natural video free from noise and artifacts.

* Noise Reduction: Per-pixel noise and compression artifact reduction removing noise inherent in digital video.
* Format Conversion: Per-pixel motion-adaptive 3D de-interlacing and advanced nonlinear scaling transforming the image to the desired resolution while suppressing artifacts like feathering and jaggies.
* Enhancement: 2D Edge Enhancement increasing detail and sensation of depth, Adaptive Contrast Enhancement (ACE) providing larger dynamic range and Intelligent Color Remapping (ICR) rendering rich and vivid images.

larry

Off the top of my head FWIW (probably not much ): The last prominent QDEO related reviews I ever ran across were BD player reviews for the Pioneer 09FD and LG BH200 respectively. Probably your best starting points.

Great ISF Job by Chad B.
post #102 of 1323 Old 09-24-2010, 08:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I like all about oppo but $500 monopolized player with some unnecessary features, sacs, DVD audio, some might not need is over kill. IMHO they should offer as universal, non universal, at two price points.
post #103 of 1323 Old 09-24-2010, 08:38 AM

Gotta say, I like the looks of the 83 over this one.
post #104 of 1323 Old 09-24-2010, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by omarcio View Post

The more I look at it, the more I agree with you. I prefer the centered (and larger) display readout, as well as the buttons.
post #105 of 1323 Old 09-24-2010, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by omarcio View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertR View Post

The more I look at it, the more I agree with you. I prefer the centered (and larger) display readout, as well as the buttons.

When the movie is playing, which one are you watching?

Pioneer Elite PRO-151FD

Zektor MAS7.1

Classé CA-2200/CA-5200

REL R-505 Sub (2)

Sony BDP-S790

post #106 of 1323 Old 09-24-2010, 10:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:

"Qdeo refers to a suite of QuietVideo processing technologies that produce quiet and natural video free from noise and artifacts.

larry

Hey Larry.

Since I am not 100% sure, as a best guess I think those notes are referring to the potential of processing with the chip.
Not necessarily that those things are always implemented without choice.

IMHO, based on my limited knowledge (), both the ABT and Marvell chips are virtually identical with naked reproduction on real world material.
Stress testing and pattern testing may tell a slightly different story though.

QDEO can offer options for an OPPO player that can not be had with the ABT.
There is that "ringing" thingy on ABT, that while it's not contributory to picture degradation of real world viewing, it can be an obstacle that's hard to overcome when trying to ADD picture enhancement like extra detail and/or EE.
Then there is also the NR options that QDEO offers that are also not available with the ABT chip.

So, overall I think it is wise for OPPO to try something different, and ultimately will be better.
Time will tell and we shall see and all that... and please let us know what you may find on your treasure hunt for opinions and reviews of QDEO.
I know there isn't as much info out there for that chip as there is for others.
Other inquiring minds are curious too, .

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
post #107 of 1323 Old 09-24-2010, 10:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoro View Post

I like all about oppo but $500 monopolized player with some unnecessary features, sacs, DVD audio, some might not need is over kill. IMHO they should offer as universal, non universal, at two price points.

OPPO players are universal player.
The other options are to buy a different, non-OPPO player.
Sure it would be cool if OPPO offered 5 different player, for every purchasing class against the market, but it just doesn't make financial sense to do so.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
post #108 of 1323 Old 09-24-2010, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post

OPPO players are universal player.
The other options are to buy a different, non-OPPO player.
Sure it would be cool if OPPO offered 5 different player, for every purchasing class against the market, but it just doesn't make financial sense to do so.

That's absolutely true. If you want an "Oppo" to be a "Panasonic", buy the Panny. For 500 bucks, the 93 is a bargain.

Standard Definition Causes Lung Cancer, Heart Disease, Emphysema, And May Complicate Pregnancy
post #109 of 1323 Old 09-24-2010, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

many people complained about the lack of the netflix and now the oppo is getting it. I know that the oppo cost a bit. like the other person said. the oppo is a bargain at 499.

Jacob
post #110 of 1323 Old 09-24-2010, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob305 View Post

many people complained about the lack of the netflix and now the oppo is getting it. I know that the oppo cost a bit. like the other person said. the oppo is a bargain at 499.

Jacob

The Netflix is welcome but the 2 HDMI out and 3D makes the player almost future proof. I don't have 3D yet but keeping my receiver is a must when and if I upgrade. I'm looking forward to my "first Oppo" !

Standard Definition Causes Lung Cancer, Heart Disease, Emphysema, And May Complicate Pregnancy
post #111 of 1323 Old 09-24-2010, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

"Qdeo(TM) refers to a suite of QuietVideo(TM) processing technologies that produce quiet and natural video free from noise and artifacts.

larry

I think Marvell has always allowed you to turn off the QDEO part, the picture processing and strictly use it for deinterlacing/scaling.
post #112 of 1323 Old 09-24-2010, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:

"Qdeo™ refers to a suite of QuietVideo™ processing technologies that produce quiet and natural video free from noise and artifacts.

larry

This may be of interest. It's not an assessment but it does provide some visual simulations of what the various processing options are supposed to do - http://www.sidchapters.org/ba/Archiv...ID%20Mar09.pdf

I've observed the Marvell 88DE2710 in the Pio LX91 (09FD). With DVD it appeared to same similar scaling to the VRS. PAL film deinterlacing was better than the VRS in auto mode.

I think some of the QDEO tech is by Sony in some current Sony models i.e. S5000, S1000 but Sony don't advertise the fact.

D
post #113 of 1323 Old 09-24-2010, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoro View Post

zoro,

Oppo has a loyal following that is ever continuing to grow. Most of that following was bred on SACD and DVD-A and by all estimations Oppo does not plan on abandoning this loyal following as other manufacturers are building similar products. While you might think the support for SACD and DVD-A are unnecessary features or over kill; I'm assuming you don't own either format.

If you don't require this support, then you will have to look elsewhere. There are a few competent transports that do not offer this functionality at half the cost or less of the BDP-83 & BDP-93. I think there is a player out there for everyone.

Willie

Pioneer Elite PRO-151FD

Zektor MAS7.1

Classé CA-2200/CA-5200

REL R-505 Sub (2)

Sony BDP-S790

post #114 of 1323 Old 09-24-2010, 11:53 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 11
1. Oppo BDP-83 MA faceplate won't work for the BDP-93
2. Oppo hasn't sent out for a new MA faceplate yet.

From Oppo CS:
Quote:

They requested it, and we sent them a unit. We didn't just send it out to them on our own. I'm sure they will request a unit in due time, and we'll have one out to them. No, the 83 faceplate won't work.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_WI View Post

The Middle Atlantic (MA) faceplate dimensions may be the same (I don't know).
For the 83, I asked Oppo to send a blank version to MA to make the rsh custom plates before it was available.
I actually had the MA face plate before I had an 83.
I just emailed Oppo CS to check on it.

Mike

http://www2.middleatlantic.com/RSH/RSHSearch.asp
http://www2.middleatlantic.com/RSH/rshprog.htm

Quote:
Originally Posted by andersa View Post

Great! Let us know what you find out.

/Anders

post #115 of 1323 Old 09-24-2010, 11:59 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_WI View Post

1. Oppo BDP-83 MA faceplate won't work for the BDP-93
2. Oppo hasn't sent out for a new MA faceplate yet.

From Oppo CS:

In case anyone is not aware, just the faceplate can be ordered as long as the number of rack spaces remains the same (I wouldn't expect that to change as the overall player height appears to be about the same). That makes the cost a little more reasonable. One good source to order from is Stay Online. It looks like the custom shelf price has gone up a bit since I last ordered one a few months ago for something else.
post #116 of 1323 Old 09-24-2010, 12:05 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post

In case anyone is not aware, just the faceplate can be ordered as long as the number of rack spaces remains the same (I wouldn't expect that to change as the overall player height appears to be about the same). That makes the cost a little more reasonable. One good source to order from is Stay Online. It looks like the custom shelf price has gone up a bit since I last ordered one a few months ago for something else.

Very good point!
I had forgotten about that.
Thanks.

I don't know if I "need" the 93 for my MA rack system, but not re-buying and installing that horizontal component of the rack would help.

Mike

Stay Online - $58 - $68 depending on finish
post #117 of 1323 Old 09-24-2010, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

larry

LG BH200 Universal (Region Free) Blu-ray/HD DVD player has Marvell Qdeo processor. I haven't used it much, but it does offer a lot of tweaks. I hope this doesn't mean Oppo will be as glitch as that LG player.

Addicted to shiny round discs with HD content

My Home Theater
My Movie Collection
BDP-83 EAP (second group)
post #118 of 1323 Old 09-24-2010, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member

I am also interested in the duel HDMI ports. I can use the tv and the receiver. I dont have 3D. I like the concept of duel HDMI.

Jacob
post #119 of 1323 Old 09-24-2010, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by xradman View Post

LG BH200 Universal (Region Free) Blu-ray/HD DVD player has Marvell Qdeo processor. I haven't used it much, but it does offer a lot of tweaks. I hope this doesn't mean Oppo will be as glitch as that LG player.

Just because you are using the same video processor, doesn't equate to same video board layout or OS in use. LG, Integra, Phillips, Sony and now Oppo are some that are using some version of the Qdeo video processor (first generation versus second generation)

Oppo Beta Group
post #120 of 1323 Old 09-24-2010, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV View Post

Just because you are using the same video processor, doesn't equate to same video board layout or OS in use.

Great point. Don't Denon players now use the same ABT as the 83? Hardly makes it the same player.
Closed Thread Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page