LG bd-530 - Page 10 - AVS Forum
First ... 8  9  10 11  12  ... Last
Blu-ray Players > LG bd-530
prasit2006's Avatar prasit2006 05:04 PM 12-17-2010
I search price of LG Single-disc Blu-ray Disc player BD530 (Black) price drop at vanns $69.88 I think lowest price on now. or see at

secretsbuying.com/lg-bd530-price

bdeyes's Avatar bdeyes 08:38 PM 12-17-2010
nguyenphananh and others, don't believe too much what transitoryspace has to say. His public posts have shown him to be nothing but a bully on these boards, full of hot air, and he almost certainly wrote what he did just to throw sand in my face for calling him out for his tone here. The chance of Transitoryspace actually having a region hack for the 530 is as low as him ever acting civil on these forums. So what I'm saying is, don't get your hopes up over a lie, people are what they are when they're anonymous, and I've seen it all too often in people like him. And on the 0.0000001% chance that I'm wrong, then others will figure it out and the hack will soon enough make its way onto other forums and locations like videohelp.com (oh, but not Transitoryspace's ultra-secret, only-HE-knows-it hack, I'm sure. Uh-huh. Yeah). By the way, I just found the hack not only to play Region 2 discs, but to have my BD530 make pizza, too. Mmmm.

>>>Who cares!!!! Everybody knows at this point that if you can't make your DVD player "region free" then make your disk "region free"!

True. I've done that myself... it's kind of a hassle and time & resource-waster, but an option nonetheless. All my other DVD players are region-free so it's not that big of a deal for me if the 530 is region free or not. I'm basically using it for its USB and occaionally renting BluRays.

I'm still quite happy with the BD-530. And a minor point, but I like how the front panel display is kind of weak (not too distracting).

prasit2006: the price keeps changing on the unit. There were some super BlackFriday-only deals ($49 I heard at one place, Frys had them for $57), but besides those limited sales, Amazon had it for a while for $69.95 w/free shipping, though it may have gone up by now. Walmart had it for $65 in stores as long as they have stock (some stores may still have some, I don't know...) And lots of more expensive B&M stores had them for $77-$79 over the last week or two. Seems that you should be able to find it reasonably easy in the $70-$79 range, which is quite good when you consider what other options there are in under-$80 BluRay players...
Neptune76's Avatar Neptune76 10:35 PM 12-17-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by creator2000 View Post

I'm behind this 200%

Every mkv I tried so far either played fine, or if it didn't -- then simple profile conversion fixed it. In fact, I can't create "bad" file if I try!!!
The video quality "f.. up" is most definitely related to some codec issue on the PC! Simple fact is that profile change in tsmuxer DOES NOT re-code video, but incorrect codecs can potentially effect some file settings and as a result you get bad video quality.
So, once again, it all comes down to this: if your player plays some mkvs fine, but not others -- it has nothing to do with the player! If your mkv didn't play at all and after you "tsmuxed" it plays with bad quality -- it's a PC hardware / software issue...

...and yet no one is willing to post (upload) any problem files.

I'm currently using latest version of tsmuxer and latest release of mkvmerge. In tsmuxer the only setting I change is the profile number; in mkvmerge I set video compression to 'none' and set fps to the correct value.

Yeah MKVs play fine. It's just the ones with profile 5.1 I _cannot_ get these to work no matter what I try.

Why do people keep saying I'm not willing to post problem files? I never said that.. PM me if you want to help out.
Neptune76's Avatar Neptune76 10:36 PM 12-17-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turmoggy View Post

One thing I noticed is that you cannot turn off hdmi audio if you have a receiver. So the only solution is to mute the tv.

As for changing mkv profile 5.1 to 4.1 it works but the video becomes pixelated. I've only tested one file so far so perhaps it's a hit or miss.

Same here. Maybe I just had bad luck but if anyone can give an example file to test so I know it's not me I'd appreciate it
dad1153's Avatar dad1153 01:46 AM 12-18-2010
Other than the lack of optical audio output (no problem, my sisters don't have surround systems and I'm throwing an HDMI cable with their respective players) and slow loading for a few Java-heavy BD's (especially Criterion and Disney/Pixar stuff) the two BD-530 players I bought as Xmas gifts have worked flawlessly. Everything I've thrown at them ("Apocalypse Now," "Psycho," "House," "Night of the Hunter," "Sleeping Beauty," "Avatar," "Marley & Me," "Inception," "Knight and Day," "The Fifth Element" remastered, "Ratatoille," "Superman: The Movie" DVD, home-recorded DVD-R's, etc.) it has played without a hitch. Sisters (and the men in their lives) will be pleased.
KenIAm's Avatar KenIAm 08:35 AM 12-18-2010
I'd never even seen a Blu-ray movie before buying the BD-530 last month at Sears. From what I'd read, I expected 1080p to be at least noticeably better than 1080i -- but I haven't found that to be the case.

Quite the opposite, actually. I've looked at 4 different Blu-ray movies so far, including Planet Earth, but I have been underwhelmed. In fact, I still go "wow" whenever I switch to a live, OTA 1080i broadcast. But nothing I've seen in Blu-ray so far has looked better than the upscaled DVDs I've been watching. I can't notice any difference.

Color me unimpressed with Blu-ray.
detroit1's Avatar detroit1 09:02 AM 12-18-2010
1080p is NOT noticeably better than 1080i; that is a used car salesman pitch on this stuff; that what all the best buy and other mass market places tell people
most blu-ray concerts are 1080i/60 and most movies are 1080p/24; there are plenty of concerts on blu-ray that look as sharp or sharper than movies; I bet most people don't even know this about the concerts; many of them say 1080i on the case !! and still people don't notice
this is the biggest myth in the industry; there have been blind tests done on this and articles written that show that if your tv deinterlaces it properly; there will be no difference. the reason most blu-rays will look better than a movie broadcast on tv is there is more compression in broadcasting over the air like that and less compression on the blu-ray; if you watch live hdtv like the today show, nfl today on cbs in studio; that is as sharp as any blu-ray out there; and those live broadcasts are 1080i. you can also test playing a blu-ray on your player and if it has a 1080i setting; watch that and then play it again on the 1080p setting; no difference
KenIAm's Avatar KenIAm 09:12 AM 12-18-2010
Sounds like my expectations were wrong. Thanks, detroit1 (Go Wings!).
257Tony's Avatar 257Tony 11:24 AM 12-18-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptune76 View Post

Yeah MKVs play fine. It's just the ones with profile 5.1 I _cannot_ get these to work no matter what I try.

Why do people keep saying I'm not willing to post problem files? I never said that.. PM me if you want to help out.

Make a sample file of your movie that won't play and host it somewhere. Post up a link and I'll take a look at it.
transitoryspace's Avatar transitoryspace 01:04 PM 12-18-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdeyes View Post

nguyenphananh and others, don't believe too much what transitoryspace has to say..

lol what a loser

heres a hint everyone...The software runs on LINUX...if you know how to code for linux you can here. Source code got released for a similar player but has other noticeable features. Aka netflix. Since most of these line of players have alot of identical chips...its just a matter of writing code to make sure everything matchs. Then you extract firmware from other players and replace the current one.
All i did was write a simple launcher to make sure the player accepts the code. And VIOLA you get netflix and other nifty things. My next step is to import or write a pandora app for this then maybe other apps that seem cool. Maybe change the UI since i hate it.
Btw you get the rotating/bouncing icecubes in the updated UI.

btw i havent posted on the OTHER forum yet. DUE TO YOU

i will private beta test this.
Ill let everyone HERE know when its ready for it. Doing some new changes to it.
EnergyOwner's Avatar EnergyOwner 01:12 PM 12-18-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by transitoryspace View Post

lol what a loser

heres a hint everyone...The software runs on LINUX...if you know how to code for linux you can here. Source code got released for a similar player but has other noticeable features. Aka netflix. Since most of these line of players have alot of identical chips...its just a matter of writing code to make sure everything matchs. Then you extract firmware from other players and replace the current one.
All i did was write a simple launcher to make sure the player accepts the code. And VIOLA you get netflix and other nifty things. My next step is to import or write a pandora app for this then maybe other apps that seem cool. Maybe change the UI since i hate it.

I agree with you on the UI. The Sony I had before this, BDP-S370, had a much better UI. Congrats on the hack, btw.
DavidEC's Avatar DavidEC 01:54 PM 12-18-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidEC View Post

Has anybody been able to connect to "Picasa"??

I can connect to "YouTube" and "Weather".. but not "Picasa"?? I keep getting network busy message??

avid

PS: Am I going to have to add a Thumb drive to get things to work correctly on this drive as I have had to on other BluRay players? {{And no I have not taken the time the read the manual}}

I still can not connect to "Picasa".. I keep getting the following error:
"Network Congestion"
Yes I can connect my netbook to the wired connection and connect up through the same home network connection??

Any suggestions as all the other features work!

avid
nomobux's Avatar nomobux 01:59 PM 12-18-2010
Quote:

"Network Congestion"
Yes I can connect my netbook to the wired connection and connect up through the same home network connection??

avid

Mine works. As I remember, I just followed all the instructions, including signing in to Picasa. I'm really bad with this stuff, but I got it.
Phase700B's Avatar Phase700B 03:25 PM 12-18-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenIAm View Post

I'd never even seen a Blu-ray movie before buying the BD-530 last month at Sears. From what I'd read, I expected 1080p to be at least noticeably better than 1080i -- but I haven't found that to be the case.

Quite the opposite, actually. I've looked at 4 different Blu-ray movies so far, including Planet Earth, but I have been underwhelmed. In fact, I still go "wow" whenever I switch to a live, OTA 1080i broadcast. But nothing I've seen in Blu-ray so far has looked better than the upscaled DVDs I've been watching. I can't notice any difference.

Color me unimpressed with Blu-ray.

I can understand and agree essentially with most of what you say including 1080i looking the same as 1080p. If you have a 37" screen or smaller the picture quality may be difficult to see any difference. "Planet Earth" video quality is ok, but not up to what BD is capable of.

I'm not sure what kind of TV you have connected to the BD530, but try getting a copy of "Baraka", The Fifth Element", or even an animated feature like "Monster's Incorporated". These titles appear noticably better than DVD upconverted counterparts.

Not all BDs are created equal. A lot has to do with transfer quality, remastering, and original source quality. I also have some BDs that are little or no better than the same DVD as for picture quality. Some upconverted DVDs look amazing and I have to check to make sure that they aren;t a duplicate BD I also have.
DavidEC's Avatar DavidEC 03:49 AM 12-19-2010
Quote:

"Network Congestion"

avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomobux View Post

Mine works. As I remember, I just followed all the instructions, including signing in to Picasa. I'm really bad with this stuff, but I got it.

I was thinking that maybe the player is using a port call which I might have my router set to block while my netbook is using only HTPP???

avid

PS: I also have a Panasonic BD player in another room which connect through a different leg of my home network to Picasa with out any troubles? But they end up at the same cable modem.
MEA707's Avatar MEA707 04:57 PM 12-19-2010
I've gone through quite a "journey" with blu-ray players over this weekend. Yesterday I picked up my first blu-ray player, after holding out all these years, I got the BD550 for $94 as I wanted to stream Netflix, but also upconvert the few DVDs I have and play blu-ray discs. I did not need wifi, so I felt the BD550 best fit my needs. I signed up for Netflix just for its streaming and was fairly satisfied with it on the BD550. I tried playing the Planet Earth blu-ray and it just wouldn't recognize it. Within 3 seconds of putting the disc in, it would eject it and give a "Check Disc" error. It played DVDs fine, but not blu-ray. I exchanged it for a Sony BDP-S270, for the same price, and voila, Planet Earth played just fine. The Netflix interface on the BDP-S270 is not as good as the BD550 and after streaming a few movies, I concluded Netflix's streaming just isn't worth it for me. The quality isn't good and the selection isn't particularly spectacular, so I canceled the Netflix service.

Having decided that Netflix streaming isn't for me, I decided to give LG another try and returned the BDP-S270 and got an LG BD530, for $65 from Walmart, so I saved $30. It played Planet Earth fine and am satisfied with the more limited streaming options.

Having never got to experience blu-ray playback on the BD550, I'm curious how picture quality compares with the BD530? Planet Earth on the BD530 looks just as good as it did on the BDP-S270 in my eyes, but for $30 cheaper.

My only complaint so far about the BD530 is the remote isn't as responsive as on the BD550, but this is a minor complaint. Also, it froze in YouTube once and I had to unplug it and plug it back in to get it working again. I'm downloading the latest firmware update now, so hopefully this will not happen again.
Neptune76's Avatar Neptune76 01:19 AM 12-20-2010
Are you all using MKVmerge or MKVmerge GUI?
creator2000's Avatar creator2000 06:13 AM 12-20-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptune76 View Post

Are you all using MKVmerge or MKVmerge GUI?

I'm using mkvmerge GUI v4.4.0
EnergyOwner's Avatar EnergyOwner 10:40 AM 12-20-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by MEA707 View Post

Having never got to experience blu-ray playback on the BD550, I'm curious how picture quality compares with the BD530? Planet Earth on the BD530 looks just as good as it did on the BDP-S270 in my eyes, but for $30 cheaper.

Before my BD555C (Canadian model of the BD530) I had a Sony BDP-S370 and I would rate the Blu-ray picture as the same. DVDs where perhaps a touch better on the Sony. Unfortunately, the Sony was more finicky on which disks it would play. I found the drive to be slightly noisier on the Sony as well.
Bismarck440's Avatar Bismarck440 12:20 PM 12-20-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdeyes View Post

BluRay vs Streaming: I actually agree with you on this. I always thought BluRay was a temporary thing between DVDs and streaming, but that's just my opinion only. I won't post it like it's a fact, in a dismissive tone against any other opinions....

I read this with dismay, from what I'm summising there will be no video rental stores, librarys & such to get movies & everyone will be programmed & reliant to the internet 24/7?

Haven't been able to read quite the entire thread because of my slow dialup internet, but thanks all for providing this insight, I guess there will be nothing such as a simple TV or movie player, everything will have to be 'online' to function someday.(???)

As far as the Bluray format, this will not even become a new means for data storage such as the CD ROM became either?... we simply store online?

Even now I still prefer to keep a PC totally offline & void of online for doing bookwork & personal record keeping.

BOT, good this firmware can be loaded via USB, if I decide to keep it I should do this immeadiately in case it hoses the machine.
cheaplikeafox's Avatar cheaplikeafox 08:52 PM 12-20-2010
Quote:

My only complaint so far about the BD530 is the remote isn't as responsive as on the BD550, but this is a minor complaint. Also, it froze in YouTube once and I had to unplug it and plug it back in to get it working again. I'm downloading the latest firmware update now, so hopefully this will not happen again.

I had the same problem of it freezing during youtube playback. Did the firmware fix this problem?

Thanks.
MEA707's Avatar MEA707 09:07 PM 12-20-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnergyOwner View Post
Before my BD555C (Canadian model of the BD530) I had a Sony BDP-S370 and I would rate the Blu-ray picture as the same. DVDs where perhaps a touch better on the Sony. Unfortunately, the Sony was more finicky on which disks it would play. I found the drive to be slightly noisier on the Sony as well.
Thanks for the input. I have to say that I am very happy with this player. I only have one Blu-ray disc set, Planet Earth (BBC version), and am amazed at the picture quality. Its DVD upconversion is also excellent.

I have found the player to be extremely quiet when playing discs. What a great deal for $65. I only hope it lasts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheaplikeafox View Post
I had the same problem of it freezing during youtube playback. Did the firmware fix this problem?

Thanks.
Possibly. I have not had it freeze up on me anymore, but whether that's due to the new firmware or not, I'm not sure.
vinnie97's Avatar vinnie97 11:47 PM 12-20-2010
Quote:
I only hope it lasts.
I gotta feeling that will be the Achilles heel of this player...with many failing right after warranty expiration. ;-) For $57 + tax (my price), I guess one couldn't complain *too* loudly.
tampa8's Avatar tampa8 11:20 AM 12-21-2010
Have had mine for several months, paid $59 as part of an opening store sale at P.C. Richards. It froze one time using You Tube, other than that it has worked flawlessly. It connected to my network with no effort needed on my part. And it updated the software easily when I tried.

If you tell me more expensive ones have a better picture, I can't debate that one way or the other. However for the price I am more than satisfied. Have not found a Blue Ray it won't play, and DVD's do indeed look better on it than my (very good for the time) Panasonic DVD player. It works with my LG TV using the Simplink mode, where the TV finds what input the Blue Ray player is on automatically. I don't need the netflix app, so that didn't make any difference, in fact You Tube would be my first choice to have, which it does.

Just want to add, there is no doubt on a large screen LCD TV, there is a difference between 1080I and 1080P, at least on my setup.
Jiggyg1's Avatar Jiggyg1 12:00 PM 12-24-2010
I am interested in buying the LG BD555C bluray player which I saw at my local Zellers and according to the box, it can literally play any format (mkv, avi, hd dvix etc.)

I went on LG's website and those formats are not mentioned under the "Specifications" heading. All I see in there is regular divx support and mpeg4 (no avi or mkv).

If anyone owns this model I'd appreciate some feedback.

Also, if this model can play everything, is playback only possible on a usb stick or can it play mkv or avi from DVD-R's?

I have a huge collection of hd avi flicks on disc and I'd like to be able to watch them on disc rather than keep copying the files over to usb all the time and erasing them when I want to watch another movie. (I only have an 8gb stick)

The only way to watch these hd movies at the moment is through my Xbox 360. I don't really want to use the system for watching movies at it tends to get really hot after 2 hours of use. I'd prefer to use the 360 for games only and not wear out the disc drive or laser. I can also watch the hd movies using the usb drive on the console but again, don't want the unit on for long periods of time.

I guess what I'm looking for mostly is a bluray machine that will play hd avi's more than anything else!

Can someone suggest another player if the LG model above doesn't cut it?

Thanks!
EnergyOwner's Avatar EnergyOwner 12:05 PM 12-24-2010
It's the same model as the BD530 they sell in the US. Look at that thread for what will play. The general consensus is that it will play most everything. Make sure the mkv's are profile 4.1 or lower. I can play lots of material but I haven't tried mkv on DVD-R yet.
Jiggyg1's Avatar Jiggyg1 01:27 PM 12-24-2010
Thanks for telling me that info Energy!

After Googling LG 530, I now have alot more to read! The Canadian LG site doesn't list that model for obvious reasons.

Just a quick question: Can you explain all those different types of codecs? I don't understand what the difference is between them all? Which codec do I need if I want to play high resolution avi flicks? What should I be looking for?

I don't want to take this machine home only to find out my discs won't play.

Thanks again!
DwightRapper's Avatar DwightRapper 04:06 AM 12-25-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by transitoryspace View Post

lol what a loser

LOL, nice that one guy that called you out for your negative attitude can have so much control over you.

I wouldn't install any hack from you because you obviously have problems, and I fear whatever "hack" you posted would also have problems.

Learn to work on the attitude, people might have more faith in you if you didn't act like a child.
dockster's Avatar dockster 08:09 PM 12-25-2010
So I have this player. WHen I go to seek (fast forward) thru a AVI file, the player gets stuck/frozen. Any fix to this? I can fast forward up to 3x, but at 4x speed, it freezes. any help?
Jiggyg1's Avatar Jiggyg1 09:37 PM 12-25-2010
This has never happened to me with any of my audio/video hardware purchases in the past.

My wife ended up buying me the LG 555C bluray player for Xmas (I was told it's the same model as the 530 in the USA) and for some strange reason, it keeps turning itself on after I've powered it down!

I've consulted both my manual and I've called LG personally and the customer service agent told me that all I can do is unplug the unit from the power bar and wait 5-10 seconds and then replug it back and try again (this is supposed to reset the player). I've even tried holding down the power button on the player for 30 seconds as well as the remote but that didn't fix it either way.

Well, I've tried doing this about 5 times and the machine just won't stay off! The only way to turn it off is to turn off my power bar or simply unplug it from there. I really don't want to return this player because it plays everything I threw at it today. Hell, even my Xbox 360 can't play MKV files...but this machine can! I love not having to convert video files ever again!

The only problem is that it's such an inconvenience to keep unplugging the power every time I want to turn the unit off. I could simply flick the power bar off but I have other hardware plugged into it and my HDTV might lose it's settings if I cut the power to it.

I know I can simply return it and hope for another machine that will work correctly but going back to stores this week is nuts because of Boxing Week here in Canada.

Has this happened to anyone else and if so, is there a fix? I have a sneaky suspicion that if I return the product and try another one, it'll do the same thing. What should I do? I really really love this player dammit!
First ... 8  9  10 11  12  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop