AVS discussion on blu-ray players w/ Netflix streaming? - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 128 Old 12-07-2010, 10:43 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Samsung, LG, Insignia. Start with those.

Built a new home, now filling it with sights and sounds!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 128 Old 12-07-2010, 10:55 AM

Liked: 10
my netflix interface, on the toshiba bdx3000, has the following "tabs" on the left-side of the screen when netflix loads..

Suggestions for You
New Arrivals
Genres
Instant Queue
Search
post #63 of 128 Old 12-19-2010, 03:04 PM

Steer clear of the LG BD570 if "Search" is what you all are looking for. LG's new streaming media icon, "NETCAST" has the same old Netflix with "Instant Queue".

"Returns and Exchanges," here I come.

I'll more than likely go for a newer Samsung model and fill you guys in.
post #64 of 128 Old 03-21-2011, 02:18 PM

What is the best Netflix bluray player out there picture quality wise.
post #65 of 128 Old 03-21-2011, 02:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Not much variance between players offering Netflix against PQ, only on supported Netflix interface.

Oppo Beta Group
post #66 of 128 Old 03-21-2011, 02:42 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
The new LG players seem to have the same Netflix interface as the new PS3 interface, which is quite nice. As for picture quality... They're all pretty much the same - it depends on your network.
post #67 of 128 Old 03-21-2011, 03:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Panasonic (110, 210, or 310) has same streaming quality as PS3 as well. For best overall player that offers Netflix, I'd say Oppo or Denon. For best streaming, I'd stick with PS3 or Panny.
post #68 of 128 Old 03-21-2011, 05:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 283
PS3 has the best picture quality because it's the only player that does netflix 1080P. Otherwise all other players have the same netflix picture quality. Some have better interfaces than others. That said, I never watch netflix on my PS3 because it's less convenient to use than my other players.
post #69 of 128 Old 03-21-2011, 06:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 194
The new Netflix interface on Panny 110/210/310 is actually pretty nice. Apart from the added search feature, it also supports Dolby Digital Plus 5.1 audio for NetFlix. Also, the Panny DVD upconvert engine is used for Netflix video as well.
post #70 of 128 Old 05-10-2011, 08:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Is there a blu-ray that works best with netflix besides playing blu-ray.
post #71 of 128 Old 11-17-2011, 02:14 PM

are there any bluray players that can search netflix, my older LG and my 1 year old panasonic both will only play what is already on my instant que, I know the xbox 360and ps3 will, but they are both already in my home theater, I'm looking for a basic player for the living room that my wife can use to search netflix.
post #72 of 128 Old 11-17-2011, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member

IIRC, current panasonic, lg, samsung and sony all have search now. Panasonic has the best netflix interface of that group IMO and the most netflix features. Sony probably has the best search because you can enter text with your iPhone/iPad. But the rest of the interface stinks IMO.
post #73 of 128 Old 11-27-2011, 12:24 PM
Advanced Member

I'm looking for a blu-ray player that has the Netflix movie menu so you can search and pick movies from your TV and not have to use your computer.
Are there any players with this setup other than the PS3?
post #74 of 128 Old 11-27-2011, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Off the top of my head, sony, samsung, LG, and panasonic at least. Sony is probably the best at search because you can use your iPad/iPhone as a keyboard. Aside from that, I think Sony's Netflix interface stinks. Panasonic is my favorite over all.
post #75 of 128 Old 11-27-2011, 01:08 PM
Advanced Member

What I mean is which ones have the Netflix browser?
So you can search Netflix movies right on your TV.
post #76 of 128 Old 11-27-2011, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

That's what I mean too. None are quite as good as a PC, but all I mentioned show thumbnails of covers and several categories to browse, and title/actor search capability. Panasonic's interface looks most similar to PS3 IMO.
post #77 of 128 Old 11-27-2011, 06:11 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks for the info. Just bought the Panasonic 210 off Amazon.
post #78 of 128 Old 12-18-2011, 05:30 PM

Liked: 15
I have a Sony BDP-S370, which as a disc player is excellent, but for Netflix streaming it's not that great, although I don't know if there is something better, so I wanted to ask here.

In my Sony, when I want to rewind just 10 seconds or so because I missed something that was said because of an interruption or whatever, even pressing the search back button for a second and then play will take me back like at least one minute if not more. That's very frustrating, and the buttons in the remote that skip ten seconds back or forward when playing a disc don't do squat when playing streaming video. So is there a player that will either skip back ten seconds at a time, or have a slower rewind speed?

And, I know this is probably too much to ask for, but is there a player that will allow to go back or forward frame by frame? This is another thing the Sony player can do with discs, but not with streaming video.

So is there any other player, whether it's also Blu-ray, or one of those boxes only for streaming that will do these two things on Netflix streaming?

Sebastian
post #79 of 128 Old 12-18-2011, 06:14 PM
AVS Special Member

I have a sony like yours and a panasonic 110. The 110 interface is far better than the sony. You can't exactly do frame by frame, but you can jump a few seconds at a time and get thumbnails of each point in time. It also does DD5.1 and subtitles on Netflix. The sony doesn't and you're flying blind on rew/ffwd like you said. And the panasonic connects directly to Netflix. Sony takes several steps to connect and must go through a sony server. Panasonic is much faster to connect. I highly recommend it.
post #80 of 128 Old 12-18-2011, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

I have a sony like yours and a panasonic 110. The 110 interface is far better than the sony. You can't exactly do frame by frame, but you can jump a few seconds at a time and get thumbnails of each point in time. It also does DD5.1 and subtitles on Netflix. The sony doesn't and you're flying blind on rew/ffwd like you said. And the panasonic connects directly to Netflix. Sony takes several steps to connect and must go through a sony server. Panasonic is much faster to connect. I highly recommend it.

I'll a try a Panasonic player I have, but it's probably older, at least from early 2010, I think BD65 something. I'll see if it works better. Thanks for the tip.

Sebastian
post #81 of 128 Old 12-18-2011, 07:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes, the rew/ffwd on the 65 works the same as current panasonics. But it doesn't have DD5.1 or subtitles like the new ones.
post #82 of 128 Old 12-18-2011, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

Yes, the rew/ffwd on the 65 works the same as current panasonics. But it doesn't have DD5.1 or subtitles like the new ones.

That sucks. I would think that DD5.1 or subtitles should be a simple matter of a firmware update in both the Sony S370 and the Panasonic BD65. Still, I would prefer to get something that wasn't Panasonic, because they don't have a subtitle button on the remote, you have to go through menus like everything these days, which really annoys me. At least the Sony has a dedicated subtitle button, but it only works for BDs.

Sebastian
post #83 of 128 Old 01-02-2012, 07:43 AM

I had been previously streaming Netflix through our WII console for quite sometime and enjoyed the user friendly interface. Mostly for the SEARCH feature. As a family present, my wife purchased a large screen flat panel tv and a LG BD590 disc player with integrated hard drive and internet/wi-fi streaming capabilities. I love it for the convenience of the Netcast menu. The You-Tube and Pandora accessibility are quite addictive. The problem is the Netflix menu is extremely limited in comparison to what my family has become accustomed to.

Since my 4yo son likes to watch like 5 or more different varieties of Spiderman alone, it is extremely cumbersome to have to load SO many different objects into the instant cue. Not only because you spend a lot of time shuffling through it, but because it takes that much longer (more bandwidth) to initially load the cue. I know the obvious solution would be to just continue using the WII for Netflix but the Lg player seems to work much better overall with our wireless configuration. We have buffering issues (especially in the evenings when running 2 pcs and streaming to the tv).

The problem is that the Netflix software (firmware?) is integrated into the the players operating system. Trying to upgrade to the latest version of that solved nothing. So I'm wondering why these two Major brand name/manufacturers can't keep each other up to date. I know that many of our modern day convenient "apps for that" were born from home-brew programming. Surely it wouldn't be too difficult for someone to clone/modify the superior version and install it into the disc player (independently from the core system). I mean it is a computer (of sorts) after all, right (250gb hd)? Anyone know of such an app?
post #84 of 128 Old 01-02-2012, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OWENDRAKE View Post

I had been previously streaming Netflix through our WII console for quite sometime and enjoyed the user friendly interface. Mostly for the SEARCH feature. As a family present, my wife purchased a large screen flat panel tv and a LG BD590 disc player with integrated hard drive and internet/wi-fi streaming capabilities. I love it for the convenience of the Netcast menu. The You-Tube and Pandora accessibility are quite addictive. The problem is the Netflix menu is extremely limited in comparison to what my family has become accustomed to.

Since my 4yo son likes to watch like 5 or more different varieties of Spiderman alone, it is extremely cumbersome to have to load SO many different objects into the instant cue. Not only because you spend a lot of time shuffling through it, but because it takes that much longer (more bandwidth) to initially load the cue. I know the obvious solution would be to just continue using the WII for Netflix but the Lg player seems to work much better overall with our wireless configuration. We have buffering issues (especially in the evenings when running 2 pcs and streaming to the tv).

The problem is that the Netflix software (firmware?) is integrated into the the players operating system. Trying to upgrade to the latest version of that solved nothing. So I'm wondering why these two Major brand name/manufacturers can't keep each other up to date. I know that many of our modern day convenient "apps for that" were born from home-brew programming. Surely it wouldn't be too difficult for someone to clone/modify the superior version and install it into the disc player (independently from the core system). I mean it is a computer (of sorts) after all, right (250gb hd)? Anyone know of such an app?

No such app. But the Panasonic BDT210 has an excellent Netflix app similar to the Wii, as does Roku. I recommend you exchange the LG for the Panasonic or supplement with a Roku or some other streaming device. And the picture quality on either of those will be vastly superior to the Wii which maxes out at 480.
post #85 of 128 Old 01-02-2012, 04:28 PM

Thanks for the feedback. Unfortunately though my wife and I are kinda tight wads and she works for a major electronics distributor so after her employee discount we got a REALLY good deal.

I'm still pretty much a novice with anything tech related despite the fact that I've been on the net since 97 or so. What I do know was 100%(/google) self taught. That being said, please forgive me if my next question makes no sense. The television has multiple ports for whatever devices I could ever need to hook up to it, so the wii option is pretty simple. I guess it's really just kind of a principal thing for me or something. I mean, why have the Netflix option at all if it has to be so infuriatingly antiquated? But that wasn't really my question. What I'm wondering now is if it would be possible/plausible to network the two devices together for maximum bandwidth utilization. Like some way of sharing internet connections; perhaps bridging their wireless adapters?

Again, thanks for any and all knowledge or opinions/ideas.
post #86 of 128 Old 01-02-2012, 05:08 PM
AVS Special Member

No. That wouldn't do any good anyway because if, for example, 2 devices are using all your bandwidth, simply turning off one will give 100% to the other. So no need to combine them. Load balancing just takes care of itself based on demand.

But you can use a feature on many routers called QOS to give your main Netflix device priority over everything else, even giving them a fixed bandwidth. The Wii only needs 3Mbps since it's only SD. The LG would need at least 6Mbps for HD.

I probably have a dozen Netflix streaming devices in my house, but only use the 2 best ones the majority of the time. So if one of your devices stinks, don't use it.
post #87 of 128 Old 01-02-2012, 09:42 PM
AVS Club Gold

net flicks will only be as good as your internet speed to the device..

hd streaming you'll need atleast 16-20mb though it can work as low as 8mb anything lower will work though it will be a stunted service you'll get..

the more crap you got that requires net servicing the more bandwidth you'll need.
post #88 of 128 Old 01-03-2012, 05:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Why not let your son use the Wii (and its search function) for Netflix while the rest of you use the player? That will keep all of his programs out of the instant queue.
post #89 of 128 Old 01-04-2012, 06:17 AM

I am looking for a new blu-ray player after my PS3 went kaput. I know that I want it to have built-in wi-fi and be able to decode dolby trueHD and DTS HD master audio (as well as have Netflix). However, I'm a little confused as to if I have to be on the lookout for one that will stream Netflix in 5.1 surround sound? I guess I took that for granted with my PS3. So my question is, if I get a blu-ray player that will stream netflix, and has built in decoders, do I need to be worried about if it will stream Netflix in 5.1 (as opposed to stereo)? Or is that more on the Netflix side of things?

Additionally...anyone have any recommendations for a cheaper (hopefully around $100) blu-ray player that has the following?

-wi-fi built in
-dolby trueHD and dts hd master audio internal decoders
-good Netflix streaming and gui
post #90 of 128 Old 01-04-2012, 06:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Yes, you need to get a player where Netflix does 5.1. Some do, others do not.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Disc Lg Bd550 , Sony Bdp S370 Blu Ray Disc Player , Panasonic Dmp Bd65 Blu Ray Disc Player , Rocksmith Xbox 360 Game Ubisoft , Oppo Bdp 83 Blu Ray Player , Bdp 52fd
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page