AVS discussion on blu-ray players w/ Netflix streaming? - Page 5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #121 of 128 Old 12-28-2012, 06:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
name="second childhood" url="/t/1282832/avs-discussion-on-blu-ray-players-w-netflix-streaming/90#post_22629296"
The Amazon service has many videos that are free to folks who sign up for their PRIME service [$79/yr] which gives free 2 day shipping on Amazon purchases. However, it is difficult to know in advance which videos are not free [Can't tell until I select the video such as a particular episode of a TV series..

CORRECTION: When set up correctly I can limit my selection of TV & Films on AMAZON to those that are free for PRIME members. Thus the only global negative about their Prime streaming service is lack of closed captions. Netflix has Captions available for many[most?] of their videos.

ADDED: I love using my Panasonic 320 player. It has built-in Wi-Fi. I no longer use it to connect with Amazon or Netflix even though it is great for that because my Panasonic 50ut50 3D TV provides the same services. Note: The TV does not come with built in WIFI. Your have to add a specific Panasonic Brand WIFI adapter to get internet access[Netflix etc.]. Rather than buy the Panasonic adapter I bought a Netgear Universal WiFi Internet Adapter- WNCE2001 for around $25 on Ebay. The Netgear adapter plugs into the TV's Ethernet port. The Netgear looks like a LAN to the TV. I did need to Initialize the Netgear adapter on a computer before connecting it to my TV. Afterward it was great.

The Panasonic Internet access, TV or player, does not seem [could be my lack of familiarity with it] to provide access to all the internet streaming services but to most I think I would ever want.

Yesterday at my family's house, I saw an Apple TV they bought for Netflix access from their older Plasma TV. The Apple TV internet adapter seems to provide access to only a much smaller number of streaming services than the Panasonics do. It was OK for Netflix.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 128 Old 12-29-2012, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by second childhood View Post

Yesterday at my family's house, I saw an Apple TV they bought for Netflix access from their older Plasma TV. The Apple TV internet adapter seems to provide access to only a much smaller number of streaming services than the Panasonics do. It was OK for Netflix.

Correct, the intended reason is to get you to buy and rent from iTunes.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #123 of 128 Old 05-13-2013, 12:03 PM

Is the Panasonic the way to fly for 5.1 Netflix streaming still?
post #124 of 128 Old 05-13-2013, 01:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked: 421
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishluck73 View Post

Is the Panasonic the way to fly for 5.1 Netflix streaming still?
Much of the info in this thread is pretty out of date by now. Panny is ok, but others have surpassed their Netflix app. Depends on the features you want. Panny, for example, lacks any kind of streaming rate info display.
post #125 of 128 Old 05-13-2013, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

Much of the info in this thread is pretty out of date by now. Panny is ok, but others have surpassed their Netflix app. Depends on the features you want. Panny, for example, lacks any kind of streaming rate info display.
I'm not sure what features are available for me to consider. Netflix streaming and having Pandora would be a great added benefit if possible.
post #126 of 128 Old 05-13-2013, 03:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked: 421
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishluck73 View Post

I'm not sure what features are available for me to consider. Netflix streaming and having Pandora would be a great added benefit if possible.
I guess the big ones are 5.1, captions/subtitles, series auto-play, stream rate info, Super HD, 3D and queue management. Most players I know of have Pandora.
post #127 of 128 Old 05-15-2013, 04:57 PM

About: Adding ? to streaming services you can get via Panasonic TVs and Players. About Roku's access to such services. Queues and caption support by Amazon

In addition to my Panasonic 320 series player [2012] I have a UT50 television[2012]. Both have limited internet access including Netflix and Amazon.
I subscribe to both. Amazon's streaming SERVICE that is free to Amazon Prime subscribers does not support captions nor a queue on my Panasonic TV & player.
Both captions & a queue may be supported on other TVs. I don't know.
Amazon customer service told me that Renters/Buyers of individual episodes/movies do get display of captions when available.
Netview does support captions. Netview seems to create captions rather than use the ones we see on regular TV. Does anyone know this for sure?

Panasonic has a "more" icon that provides access to a LIMITED number of additional streaming services.
Is there a way that I can add additional streaming services to either the TV or Player?
Any "workarounds? [Other than buying a Roku box for use with my TV or player?

A service I would like is: 8ctave. It provides access to a "bunch" of streaming services.

Another one I would like is the Netflix BROWSER app/service. It is a paid app [$3.99].
A lite version is free but of limited use. It is not from Netflix. You register it with Netflix using a computer.
The NETFLIX BROWSER app/service provides a way to look at ICONS for ALL of Netflix's movies & episodes catalog.
It does this in a way that is easy to use. I can put items I wish to view into my Netflix instant streaming queue from this Netflix Browser service.
The Netflix Browser app has a listing of episodes/movies that Netflix will soon remove from their streaming catalog giving the date they "expire".

I can get the 8ctave and Netflix browser services via my Roku device which I use with an older VIZIO TV.

FYI: If folks want access to many more streaming services, games and other "apps" than their "smart" TV supports.
I highly recommend buying a Roku box. Roku doesn't charge for its services. Roku boxes [check on model] support HD and captions where available.
All though you don't pay for Roku's SERVICES you do pay for certain apps/games/services you get via Roku such as Netflix and Amazon
Roku adds displayed services in batches often.

There are 100s/1000s of "private services you can access via a Roku box.
http://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/tips-and-tricks-for-optimizing-your-roku/
http://www.roku-channels.com/

I am not affiliated with Panasonic, Netview, Amazon, or Roku in any way. These are my personal opinions.
post #128 of 128 Old 06-13-2013, 05:57 AM

i's sorry it's not any more, but you can try totalmedia. I have used it for almost 2 years and never had any problem. it plays blu ray on pc smoothly. when i bought it, to my surprise, it can change region code, thus i'm never worried about relaxing myself when on business. It's an easy to use and professional blu ray player software for windows; including Windows 8. of course, it fully integrates with Windows Media Center too. beyond your surprise, it's also a 3d video player.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Disc Lg Bd550 , Sony Bdp S370 Blu Ray Disc Player , Panasonic Dmp Bd65 Blu Ray Disc Player , Rocksmith Xbox 360 Game Ubisoft , Oppo Bdp 83 Blu Ray Player , Bdp 52fd
Gear in this thread - S370 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page