post #271 of 729 Old 10-27-2010, 04:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by big-d View Post

Mine didnt get an update i even ran home on my lunch break and there were no updates waiting. Maybe they get pushed out like the phones.... a few this week then some next week... etc

Thats odd. You should try a manual check. When I got home tonight, as soon as I turned the thing on, it told me there was an update and asked if I wanted to do it now or later. I did the update but don't see any differences. I only have mine connected directly to my TV so I can't check to see if the 5.1 is fixed or not.

**EDIT**
I noticed that the links in the Spotlight section changed a bit. There is now an Amazon on Demand link, as well as a couple other new ones like TNT(Sidereel is there too but not sure if that is new or it was there before).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 729 Old 10-27-2010, 05:05 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumans25 View Post

Its already in use unit.. Here are details of SW update:
Firmware version: 2.1-update1
Build number: ogm_2.1_2010102101ON.162853

thats the same version i have. maybe mine updated automatically with no prompting.

Unfortunately DD is still broken
post #273 of 729 Old 10-27-2010, 05:12 PM
gvc
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
firmware update info detail listed improved chrome performance,improved sony spotlight performance,improved disc player operation, and one of the apps needed an update. thats all that was listed
post #274 of 729 Old 10-27-2010, 05:56 PM

looks like chrome supports tabs now
post #275 of 729 Old 10-27-2010, 07:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by big-d View Post

looks like chrome supports tabs now

It did before. Just press the bottom button on the right hand disk and open a new tab. To change, press and hold the home button.
post #276 of 729 Old 10-27-2010, 08:11 PM

I just got the NSZ-GT1 this afternoon and set it up with my TV and network connection. It browsed OK; pretty cool! But then I tried to play a blu-ray disk and I got audio but not video. Tried a DVD with the same result. So I poked around in the settings and found that I could force it out of "AUTO" resolution and into 1080i. So I did that and I got picture. Yay! But then I selected 1080p just to see if it looked better. Bad move! It turns out my TV doesn't support 1080p and now the GT1 is kaput. It boots up, displays the Sony name and the Google TV logo, then goes to black. No picture, no sound, no menus, nothing. I have tried CTRL-ALT-DEL which boots the unit, and it displays the two logos then nothing. I think it is "stuck" in 1080p. Is there any way to give it a "first birthday" and get it back to factory settings?
post #277 of 729 Old 10-28-2010, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurkTuron View Post

I just got the NSZ-GT1 this afternoon and set it up with my TV and network connection. It browsed OK; pretty cool! But then I tried to play a blu-ray disk and I got audio but not video. Tried a DVD with the same result. So I poked around in the settings and found that I could force it out of "AUTO" resolution and into 1080i. So I did that and I got picture. Yay! But then I selected 1080p just to see if it looked better. Bad move! It turns out my TV doesn't support 1080p and now the GT1 is kaput. It boots up, displays the Sony name and the Google TV logo, then goes to black. No picture, no sound, no menus, nothing. I have tried CTRL-ALT-DEL which boots the unit, and it displays the two logos then nothing. I think it is "stuck" in 1080p. Is there any way to give it a "first birthday" and get it back to factory settings?

I suggest calling Sony support line. I'm sure there is a way to boot it in equivalent of "safe mode" and change the resolution from there.
post #278 of 729 Old 10-29-2010, 07:32 PM

I thought I saw mention of this earlier in the thread, but I can't find it. Does the Sony unit send bitstreamed audio to your receiver when playing Bluray movies? I'm running it to my Yamaha right now and the Yamaha shows PCM, not DD or DTS. If the answer is yes and the Sony is doing the decoding in the player, then how does it know if you have a 5.1, 6, or 7 channel setup? Not sure I understand how this works exactly, but I would think it's better to send the raw audio to my receiver rather than having the Sony player decode it. Or does it really matter?
post #279 of 729 Old 10-30-2010, 07:02 AM

Got a small question....I am looking for a device that can "connect" to my internet tv which I believe uses windows media streaming formats, I suppose this box will not do the trick right ?

Basically looking for something that can substitute my ps3 bluray and my pc to play smtreaming windows media.
post #280 of 729 Old 10-30-2010, 05:04 PM

Yes, it does send bit-stream info your AVR. It plays it in DD or DTS, but depends on the content. The content also will determine if ti plays in 5.1 or 7.2 channels. I don't think there is 6.1 or 9.2 content out there, but I can be wrong. Decoding happens at the AVR, and it is only for BR. This does not happen when streaming live TV or playing online content that offers 5.1 DD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travisimo View Post

I thought I saw mention of this earlier in the thread, but I can't find it. Does the Sony unit send bitstreamed audio to your receiver when playing Bluray movies? I'm running it to my Yamaha right now and the Yamaha shows PCM, not DD or DTS. If the answer is yes and the Sony is doing the decoding in the player, then how does it know if you have a 5.1, 6, or 7 channel setup? Not sure I understand how this works exactly, but I would think it's better to send the raw audio to my receiver rather than having the Sony player decode it. Or does it really matter?

post #281 of 729 Old 10-31-2010, 09:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Can someone confirm for me that the "Sony" Google TV supports .AVI Xvid files? I don't see it as supported on their tech-specs but I know the Logitech Revue does (I have one and am looking at the 40" Sony Google TV for my bedroom).

Thanks!
post #282 of 729 Old 10-31-2010, 10:01 AM

Hi all,

I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a new 7MC/InfiniTV4 HTPC build when I came across the Google TV devices. I spent some time looking into this option in order to make sure my planned HTPC won't be obsolete right out of the gate.

I don't see any added functionality with the GTV options. In fact, it has negative value added, imo. First is the degraded audio processing, e.g. 2 ch LPCM down mix. Second is the incompatible remotes. Third, I'm looking to reduce the number of boxes in my system not add another one.

Is there value added with GTV that I'm missing?

Thanks.
post #283 of 729 Old 10-31-2010, 10:13 AM

I bought the Sony Itv with blu ray, like it very much, except that audio for Hd tv channel does not work. When connect AT&T uverse box directly to TV, everything works fine. Now to make use the GTV functions, I connected AT&T uverse box to Sony Itv with blu ray with hdmi, and connected Sony Itv to my samsung tv with hdmi. I do know the limitation that Itv only output 2 channel stereo sound, but in my case, it kept silent for all HD tv channels. I tried everything I could, including change hdmi cable, use different hdmi ports on tv, and even change the Sony Itv hardware, nothing helps. I wonder if anyone else runs into the similar problem, and any suggestion?
post #284 of 729 Old 10-31-2010, 11:48 AM

Can the new folks to the thread please search on past posts? Most of your questions are addressed there.

Currently the Sony GTV BR player only outputs 2 channel audio for everything but DVD and BR playback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garywu View Post

I bought the Sony Itv with blu ray, like it very much, except that audio for Hd tv channel does not work. When connect AT&T uverse box directly to TV, everything works fine. Now to make use the GTV functions, I connected AT&T uverse box to Sony Itv with blu ray with hdmi, and connected Sony Itv to my samsung tv with hdmi. I do know the limitation that Itv only output 2 channel stereo sound, but in my case, it kept silent for all HD tv channels. I tried everything I could, including change hdmi cable, use different hdmi ports on tv, and even change the Sony Itv hardware, nothing helps. I wonder if anyone else runs into the similar problem, and any suggestion?

post #285 of 729 Old 10-31-2010, 12:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupismaximus View Post

Can the new folks to the thread please search on past posts? Most of your questions are addressed there.

Currently the Sony GTV BR player only outputs 2 channel audio for everything but DVD and BR playback.

The only information i was able to gleam from this thread is this:

http://esupport.sony.com/docs/btv/nsz/04/04-11.html

Which says "AVIs" may or may not work....since there are a few people here who actually own this device...they could confirm whether or not xvid files play.
post #286 of 729 Old 10-31-2010, 12:24 PM

I have a very similar htpc setup. HTPC are great but they don't provide the seamlessness integration of live tv, online content, and search capabilities for the cost of the Sony GTV BR or Revue GTV. You will end up paying a lot more to get everything to work in a similar fashion, and still will not have access to the same online content, especially on a 7MC set up.

For me the required use of the Sony remote, the 2 channel audio issues, slow BR startup, lack of HDMI 1.4, no 3D playback, and in ability to turn off the stb convinced me to return the product.

I believe the GTV device will soon surpass the the capabilities of the HTPC in regards to combining tv playback, overall media playback, and online content. Wait until the second wave of these devices come out, and the cost of the htpc will not be justified.

I was hoping that the Sony would have worked out, but I am sure newer products will come out that will be more polished. I am thinking or hoping for a Samsung GTV BR this holiday, with HDMI 1.4. More than likely, I will buy a Sony bdp-s770 BR or Samsung 7900 BR player and the Revue GTV when it goes on sale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanvlij View Post

Hi all,

I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a new 7MC/InfiniTV4 HTPC build when I came across the Google TV devices. I spent some time looking into this option in order to make sure my planned HTPC won't be obsolete right out of the gate.

I don't see any added functionality with the GTV options. In fact, it has negative value added, imo. First is the degraded audio processing, e.g. 2 ch LPCM down mix. Second is the incompatible remotes. Third, I'm looking to reduce the number of boxes in my system not add another one.

Thanks.

post #287 of 729 Old 10-31-2010, 12:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanvlij View Post

Hi all,

Well, the added value is that its not trying to by a media player or HTPC - its trying to be a platform for everybody to develop stuff for.

Of course that's not today or tomorrow.

If a carpenter makes a door he should get money every time someone uses it - he's also an "artist".
post #288 of 729 Old 10-31-2010, 01:10 PM

I have had the device (Sony NSZ-GT1) hooked to my Dish VIP622 HD receiver for 3 days and am having a BIG problem. The video and audio will sporadically cutout. It is random and sometimes will cutout video only and sometimes both video and audio.

My attempts to fix it have been to replace the HDMI cable (tried 3 different brands). When I remove the device from the equation, just Dish to TV, there is no problem. When I watch a Blu-Ray, there is no problem. It is only when I am watching Dish --> Sony --> TV.

I have the Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 8100 Home Theatre Projector (V11H336120).

Uploaded video to YouTube showing problem. Video and audio cutout at 10 seconds.

post #289 of 729 Old 10-31-2010, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupismaximus View Post

Yes, I did read all posts on 2 channel sound output, but it shall still have sound, doesn't it? In my case, for HD tv channel, no audio at all.
post #290 of 729 Old 10-31-2010, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurkTuron View Post

If you are adventurous enough to try to get to the recovery menu, there is an option to go back to factory data reset as first option in recovery menu.
Here's the step by step posted from xda-developers forum by Apeman42 on how to get to recovery menu.

1.Have everything plugged into the unit except the power coord. Have the power coord in your hand.
2.Press and hold the power button and plug the unit in.
3.Continue to hold down the power button for 3 seconds after plugging it in, then release the power button.
4.Wait a couple of seconds and it will say Sony, then you will see the recovery screen.
5.After it loads, press and hold the connect button on the unit. Then follow the directions at the bottom of the screen (Press and hold ALT+ENTER) for 8 seconds/until the bottom message changes. It will change back to it saying that you have to press the CONNECT button, but your remote IS connected.
6.You can now press the numbers assigned to the commands!

You can also go to youtube and search for video id L21guovXDsc to see a video instruction on getting to the recovery menu. I wanted to post the links but I couldn't since this is my first post.

Good luck, I hope this works for you.
post #291 of 729 Old 10-31-2010, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutdotnet View Post

Can someone confirm for me that the "Sony" Google TV supports .AVI Xvid files? I don't see it as supported on their tech-specs but I know the Logitech Revue does (I have one and am looking at the 40" Sony Google TV for my bedroom).

Thanks!

I was able to view an avi xvid video file with the Sony NSZ-GT1, but my problem was that I had to copy the file from an ntfs formatted 1Tb external hard drive to a fat32 formatted usb flash drive. The Sony Google TV does not support ntfs formatted drives. For me, this makes it less of a media player than the other media players available.
post #292 of 729 Old 11-01-2010, 06:25 AM

I returned my Revue and picked up the Sony. So far I am much happier with the PQ on the Sony and I am not just referring to the frame rate issue either. I would not consider the Logitech a transparent box even when it is working properly. I have not had any problems with cutouts and have a solid 20 hrs on the box at this point.

I am having a couple of issues with the Sony that could potentially send me back to my Mac Mini until another GTV box is released or the Revue is patched.

1. DVR controls for my Atlantic Broadband Scientfic Atlanta 8300HD- I often need to confirm actions by using a set of 4 buttons A,B,C,D. The Revue had these mapped as secondary keys (FN+5,6,7,8) on the keyboard. I have not figured out how to get the Sony controller to replicate these.

2. The remote control operation is laggy- the Revue was incredibly good in this regard. It actually seemed to work better than direct IR somehow. Does anyone not have an issue with remote control lag?

If there is a way to address both these issues and a fix comes out for the 2ch output issue the GT1 will be a no brainer for me. However- I did notice in the bundled docs for the sony that the HDMI in is specced at 2chh 48khz- make me nervous that a fix might never come. I know that a product specialist/mananger at Google has stated sony is working on this but we still have not heard anything official from Sony correct?

Thanks
post #293 of 729 Old 11-01-2010, 10:41 AM

For those looking to reset their machines (for instance, if you set your unit to a resolution that your TV does not support), this information was just posted over at the official Sony forums:

Reset the Eagle:
Turn off the power for 5 sec
Turn on the power and wait 30 second (system is rebooting)
Press and hold the Connect and eject buttons
- Connect first then eject: within 1 second of each other
- Hold both buttons until the green power light blinks
- Release both buttons
SiTV BD player will power down and reboot on its own.
SiTV BD player resolution is now set to auto; picture will be visible after splash screens.

Also recently posted (by the same official Sony spokesperson, DanOMara):

1) remotes can only be paired one at a time per unit at the moment.
2) only one USB storage unit of any type can be connected at a time.
post #294 of 729 Old 11-01-2010, 11:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkidy View Post

I was able to view an avi xvid video file with the Sony NSZ-GT1, but my problem was that I had to copy the file from an ntfs formatted 1Tb external hard drive to a fat32 formatted usb flash drive. The Sony Google TV does not support ntfs formatted drives. For me, this makes it less of a media player than the other media players available.

Yikes...

So my NTFS-formatted Win7 box that houses my xvid files will not be seen by Sony's Google TV?

I understand that Google TV is "bleeding-edge" right now...I bet in six months it will have everything that everyone could want...but man...some of the current limitations sure are frustrating. I'd like to pick up the 40" Sony w/ Google TV so I can stream my movies/shows to my living room without buying another box....
post #295 of 729 Old 11-01-2010, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutdotnet View Post

Yikes...

So my NTFS-formatted Win7 box that houses my xvid files will not be seen by Sony's Google TV?

I understand that Google TV is "bleeding-edge" right now...I bet in six months it will have everything that everyone could want...but man...some of the current limitations sure are frustrating. I'd like to pick up the 40" Sony w/ Google TV so I can stream my movies/shows to my living room without buying another box....

It will be seen through UPNP. The NTFS limitation only applies to USB drives directly attached to the Sony device.
post #296 of 729 Old 11-01-2010, 07:05 PM

I must say, the Harmony iPhone app on the iPad, while not perfect, adds a new dimension of usability to the Revue.
post #297 of 729 Old 11-01-2010, 07:50 PM
AVS Special Member

To anyone thinking of trying the Logitech mini-keyboard with the Sony Blu-Ray... don't bother. It's a major fail because of the (idiotic) way Sony decided to control the TV. Since the Sony controls the TV with IR FROM THE REMOTE and not the ir blasters, the Logitech mini-keyboard won't control your TV because it doesn't do things that way. It doesn't have an IR emmiter.

Other than that, it is OK at best IMO. It seems like you always have to press and hold the FN key for too many functions, functions that have their own button on the Sony. Also, there is no power button to turn off the Sony unit(or the Revue for that matter). The touch pad is nice and you can swap with a slide switch or on the fly by holding down the FN key(it swaps the functionality while the button is held).

The backlighting is DEFINITELY needed and the main reason I wanted to try this thing, despite the ridiculous pricetag. It does go dark a bit quick, but just press the shift or FN button and it will relight.

Anyway, even tho I like the remote and the backlighting, not being able to control the TV volume and inputs makes it worthless to me. So back it goes.

As an FYI, I tried to set up the AVR setting to LG for my LG TV with the hope it would control the volume and power using the AVR code but no go. The reasoning is tat the AVR does use the IR blaster which would possibly fix the issue with controlling the TV.
post #298 of 729 Old 11-01-2010, 09:27 PM

I've actually had a lot of success in making my old Logitech Harmony Xbox 360 work with my NSZ-GT1 and the rest of my stereo system, at least indirectly. I have a Sony Bravia KDL-52W5150 television, a Sony STR-DH810 receiver, the Xbox 360 and and Frontier Fios QIP-6414 cable box.

Obviously, I can't control GT1 via IR. However, I can control the television via IR. Since I've got both the Sony receiver, the Sony GT1 and the Sony television all connected together via HDMI, they are all able to communicate via BraviaSync. This lets me use the receiver or television remote to perform most of the essential functions on the GT1. There are some functions that don't correspond directly and that require work arounds, but I find that I can mostly get by with leaving the GT1's remote in the remote control drawer.

From there it wasn't difficult to get the Harmony programmed. There's still some fine tuning to be done, but for the most part it works surprisingly well.

This won't work for everyone, but for people with newish Sony hardware it's one solution.
post #299 of 729 Old 11-02-2010, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darley View Post

I have had the device (Sony NSZ-GT1) hooked to my Dish VIP622 HD receiver for 3 days and am having a BIG problem. The video and audio will sporadically cutout. It is random and sometimes will cutout video only and sometimes both video and audio.

My attempts to fix it have been to replace the HDMI cable (tried 3 different brands). When I remove the device from the equation, just Dish to TV, there is no problem. When I watch a Blu-Ray, there is no problem. It is only when I am watching Dish --> Sony --> TV.

I experienced this on both the Sony and the Revue (which I ended up keeping the Revue so far). Through all my iterations of trial and error - I finally realized the AVR was the weak link in the equation. It's an Onkyo SR606 which should be fine, but I would be willing to wager money that if you do what I did - your issue will go away.

Connect the Sony hdmi out directly to your TV and run the audio to your receiver separately via optical. For some reason, my AVR had sporadic issues with HD content doing what you described. It was not constant, but enough to become infuriating. If you tune to a non-HD broadcast, I'll bet your picture/audio issues will go away or be drastically reduced. Once I noticed this, it hit me the AVR was the problem.

It's not ideal I know, but I made this switch last night and enjoyed an evening of viewing TV broadcasts both SD and HD, shows from DVR in SD and HD, as well as streams from GTV with no cutout. Finally starting to enjoy this a whole lot more now.

Let us know if this helps or if you come up with a better solution.
post #300 of 729 Old 11-02-2010, 11:34 AM

Well, try as I might, but I just can't keep this POS any more. I ordered the revue from dish, and though I like the blu ray integration with this, it's going back.

I watched my first blu-ray this weekend, and had to get up and turn on the light to find the stupid pause button on the remote. I have a harmony one remote, and i'd love it if it'd work with the sony, but there's no hope that a firmware fix will install an IR receiver in the sony box.

I also can't stand switching inputs to get surround sound from my dish box.

I love Google TV, and see a lot of potential in the platform, but this box from sony just has so many flaws that I can't justify the price.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Sony Nsz Gt1 Wi Fi Enabled Blu Ray Disc Player , Sony Bdp S770 3d Blu Ray Disc Player With Wi Fi , Sony Bdp S570 3d Blu Ray Disc Player , Sony Bdp S470 3d Blu Ray Disc Player , Sony Bdp S370 Blu Ray Disc Player
Gear in this thread - S570 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page