Forum Jump: 

post #331 of 729 Old 11-17-2010, 07:38 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jefftaz View Post

To all you Sony NSZ-GT1 owners, is the remote as bad as some of the reviews make it out to be??? I can totally understand that Sony not back lighting the remote is a serious design flaw, but I also see many reviewers harping on the thumb mouse tracking pad. Do you really have a hard time controlling the mouse on screen?

I actually loved the remote for the sony. Yes backlighting would have been nice been not a hige loss for me.

the sony remote is what made me choose the Sony box over the revue. However i just returned the gt1 because my 30 days were almost up and they still have not fixed the 5.1 surround issue on the sony.

if i could have the revue unit with the sony remote i would be pretty happy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #332 of 729 Old 11-17-2010, 08:23 PM

Just purchased the NSZ-GT1 tonight. Set it up like this: Verizon Fios HD-DVR box HDMI out to HDMI in on the Sony. HDMI out from the Sony to HDMI in on my Denon AVR 2309CI. HDMI out from the Denon to HDMI in on my Samsung PN58B650 plasma.
When I got to the setup for the cable box input all I get is blinking audio & video and a content protection message from the box. This is apparently a HDMI copy protection issue linked to the Fios box.
Here is a video to demonstrate: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRcxj4E7hps
Sony's solution to this problem is to bypass the AVR and connect the HDMI output directly to the TV, while running a seperate optical cable to the AVR for audio. If I set it up that way, I can no longer send Dolby True HD or DTS-HD surround formats to my receiver as they are only available over HDMI.
Unfortunately, this is a big dealbreaker for me and I will probably be returning the Sony. It's a shame because I really liked the idea of Google TV. If I had not already bought the plasma TV a year ago I would probably consider one of the Sony TVs with Google TV built in.
post #333 of 729 Old 11-18-2010, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whjeffs View Post

Just purchased the NSZ-GT1 tonight. Set it up like this: Verizon Fios HD-DVR box HDMI out to HDMI in on the Sony. HDMI out from the Sony to HDMI in on my Denon AVR 2309CI. HDMI out from the Denon to HDMI in on my Samsung PN58B650 plasma.
When I got to the setup for the cable box input all I get is blinking audio & video and a content protection message from the box. This is apparently a HDMI copy protection issue linked to the Fios box.
Here is a video to demonstrate: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRcxj4E7hps
Sony's solution to this problem is to bypass the AVR and connect the HDMI output directly to the TV, while running a seperate optical cable to the AVR for audio. If I set it up that way, I can no longer send Dolby True HD or DTS-HD surround formats to my receiver as they are only available over HDMI.
Unfortunately, this is a big dealbreaker for me and I will probably be returning the Sony. It's a shame because I really liked the idea of Google TV. If I had not already bought the plasma TV a year ago I would probably consider one of the Sony TVs with Google TV built in.

Verizon will be increasing the number of HDMI devices that can be chained together with the 1.9 update for their set-top boxes, eliminating the HDCP problem that NSZ-GT1 and Revue users are having when trying to use their device with certain set-top boxes, mainly Motorolas. Supposedly, this will be available within the next few months.

Sadly, I live in one of the territories which Verizon sold to Frontier and may end up stuck with version 1.8. It is unclear if Frontier customers will get the 1.9 update.
post #334 of 729 Old 11-18-2010, 10:00 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks to everyone who input on the Sony remote. I may just get this google t.v. bluray player. I want it in my bedroom, where I do not have any audio equipment, just the speakers from the t.v. Thus the 5.1 issue with the Sony device does not affect me.
post #335 of 729 Old 11-18-2010, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whjeffs View Post

I'm in a similar situation with DLNA. Here's what I posted to the Sony support forum https://forum.sel.sony.com/viewtopic.php?f=82&t=5545:

When playing DLNA AAC 5.1 source material, If I connect my nsz-gt1 to my receiver's HDMI port, I can get multichannel audio, however, if i disconnect HDMI and connect digital optical, the receiver (jvc rx-d411) switches to 2-channel Linear PCM. I cannot use HDMI on this receiver because it doesn't passthrough 1080p video, so I'd like a solution that uses the digital optical.

Is the same issue that affects multichannel HDMI audio passthrough causing this device to downmix the DNLA source as well? This issue has been recognized by Sony and a patch is forthcoming. Or is there something wrong with my receiver? I assume the former, because using a DVD and the optical digital I can get multichannel audio. So the issue is limited to DLNA source.
post #336 of 729 Old 11-18-2010, 05:58 PM

Key mappings on the NSZ-GT1 for usb keyboards (these work with usb wireless dongle keyboards as well).

If you find more, please let us all know. These mappings were made with a very simple keyboard (no media keys of any kind on it).

F1 - Live TV
F2 - Google TV menus overlaying Live TV (Home key on right circle)
F3 - Google TV menus (nothing else)
F4 - menu key (bottom key on right circle)
F5 - info (Fn-4 on Sony controller)
F6 - Picture in Picture key
F7 - Guide button
F8 - DVR button
F9 - no function found
F10 - pause/unpause
F11 - |<< button
F12 - Bookmark (the star key)
pg up - Page Up
pg dn - Page Down
Windows/Apple key - Search/Spyglass key
ctrl - Fn
ctrl pg up - Channel Up
ctrl pg dn - Channel Down
Esc - back (left key on right circle)
arrow keys work normally, and return/enter work as a click
post #337 of 729 Old 11-19-2010, 05:41 PM

Has there been any news on the 3D upgrade front for the NSZ-GT1? Is this still just a rumour? Or maybe a pipedream?
post #338 of 729 Old 11-19-2010, 10:28 PM

Flavorhammer,

I am glad to see that you are sticking it out with this device. I returned mine last week prior to my 30 days being up. This is a very interesting that you were able to determine these commands.

The next thing that would be cool to find out if you could program a Harmony IR remote to signal these commands with key pushes. Your TV would have to be HDMI CEC so you could control the Sony GTV BR through the IR receiver of the TV.

Do you have the capability to test this, and if so, does it work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by flavorhammer View Post

Key mappings on the NSZ-GT1 for usb keyboards (these work with usb wireless dongle keyboards as well).

If you find more, please let us all know. These mappings were made with a very simple keyboard (no media keys of any kind on it).

F1 - Live TV
F2 - Google TV menus overlaying Live TV (Home key on right circle)
F3 - Google TV menus (nothing else)
F4 - menu key (bottom key on right circle)
F5 - info (Fn-4 on Sony controller)
F6 - Picture in Picture key
F7 - Guide button
F8 - DVR button
F9 - no function found
F10 - pause/unpause
F11 - |<< button
F12 - Bookmark (the star key)
pg up - Page Up
pg dn - Page Down
Windows/Apple key - Search/Spyglass key
ctrl - Fn
ctrl pg up - Channel Up
ctrl pg dn - Channel Down
Esc - back (left key on right circle)
arrow keys work normally, and return/enter work as a click

post #339 of 729 Old 11-21-2010, 04:12 PM

It helps that I had PlayOn already, and I also didn't previously own a Blu-Ray player. After testing the machine and deciding it has the hardware to last a long time and deal with any HD content I am likely to run into, I just couldn't let go of it, it has become too much of a normal part of my day.

Unfortunately I don't have a Harmony remote, and my TV has Panasonic EZ Sync, which seems to be a crappy old version of HDMI-CEC. It doesn't recognize the Sony box.

Anyway I am still very happy with the unit and glad I kept it.
post #340 of 729 Old 11-25-2010, 12:41 PM

Did Sony ever release an update addressing the lack of surround audio from our external DVRs?
post #341 of 729 Old 11-25-2010, 04:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travisimo View Post

Did Sony ever release an update addressing the lack of surround audio from our external DVRs?

No, not yet.
post #342 of 729 Old 11-26-2010, 07:51 PM

So it's all hooked up and turned on but I'm stuck at the pairing keypad screen.

I've tried pairing it dozens of times, tried resetting both the keypad and player, tried three different sets of batteries, no dice.

Called Sony tech support and they walked me through resetting everything again, using the connect button on the front of the player, still no good.

Anyone have any ideas what might be wrong? Is the keypad simply DOA?
post #343 of 729 Old 11-27-2010, 01:55 AM
Advanced Member

I noticed that Best Buy had dropped the price of the Sony Bluray player with Google T.V. by $100 on Black Friday. I happened to be at Best Buy right when the store opened and saw that Best Buy had stocked up on these players, there was about 50 stacked up in the store. I did my other shopping and noticed that after an hour of the store opening, not one of the Sony Google T.V. players where even touched. I left and went on with my other shopping. Today, I happened to go back to Best Buy and again there is no dent made in these players. I asked a sales rep if they had sold any, and he said only a couple.

I have been following Google T.V. closely as the concept is fantastic. My only conclusion is that this tech is still too pricey for the general public. With the $100 discount, the Sony player was still $299.99. Almost all the bluray players I saw people buying were sub $100.

Based on the poor sales (at least by my observations) I think Google T.V. manufacturers will need to lower the cost of these players to at least ~ $200 before they start to take hold.
post #344 of 729 Old 11-27-2010, 12:22 PM

There has been a lot of bad press around GoogleTV, so this could have lead to your observation. The question is how did the sale of these units compare to the Logitech Revue? That answer will determine if it is a GTV thing or a Sony thing.

Quote:

I noticed that Best Buy had dropped the price of the Sony Bluray player with Google T.V. by $100 on Black Friday. I happened to be at Best Buy right when the store opened and saw that Best Buy had stocked up on these players, there was about 50 stacked up in the store. I did my other shopping and noticed that after an hour of the store opening, not one of the Sony Google T.V. players where even touched. I left and went on with my other shopping. Today, I happened to go back to Best Buy and again there is no dent made in these players. I asked a sales rep if they had sold any, and he said only a couple.

I have been following Google T.V. closely as the concept is fantastic. My only conclusion is that this tech is still too pricey for the general public. With the $100 discount, the Sony player was still $299.99. Almost all the bluray players I saw people buying were sub $100.

Based on the poor sales (at least by my observations) I think Google T.V. manufacturers will need to lower the cost of these players to at least ~ $200 before they start to take hold.

post #345 of 729 Old 11-27-2010, 10:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupismaximus View Post

There has been a lot of bad press around GoogleTV, so this could have lead to your observation. The question is how did the sale of these units compare to the Logitech Revue? That answer will determine if it is a GTV thing or a Sony thing.

IMHO, it's a GTV thing. I have this player in for review right now and I'm not impressed at all with Google TV.

David Vaughn

Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer

Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)

post #346 of 729 Old 11-27-2010, 10:38 PM

So I solved my problem from a few posts up about the keypad failing to sync with the blu-ray player.

I was trying to set it up in my living room entertainment center which also contains all the usual stuff: cable box, Xbox 360, Wii, surround sound system, iPod dock etc.

Apparently one of these things was interfering with the communication between the keypad and BR player because I hooked it up in the bedroom where there is just a TV and it synced up the first time I tried it.
post #347 of 729 Old 11-27-2010, 11:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn View Post
IMHO, it's a GTV thing. I have this player in for review right now and I'm not impressed at all with Google TV.
Dave, will you let us know when your review is online? Thanks.
post #348 of 729 Old 11-28-2010, 12:16 AM

Anyone know if the keypad has keys that correspond with the A, B and C keys on the Brighthouse remote?
post #349 of 729 Old 11-28-2010, 04:44 AM

If you search through this forum, there has been countless reviews which all say the same thing. It seems that there are only a few previous owners, on this forum, who have kept the Sony GTV BR player. Many have moved over to the Logitech Revue, which also has it's slew of problems, although it seems that there are more Firmware updates.

Again, the main drawback for me was the lack of 5.1 surround audio when watching live TV or DVR. Next, It seems every online content provider is now blocking this thing. The remote, although great for typing, can not be programed, takes multiple key pushes for most functions, does not turn off the Cable/ Sat box, and has no backlighting. This forces you to always use two remotes. Up conversion on standard DVD was soft. No announcements on future 3D support, FW fixes for current bugs, and the use of HDMI 1.3 spec.

Personally, if you have to have google TV, then get the Revue or wait for the Samsung BR GTV devices releasing in Q1 2011.

Quote:

post #350 of 729 Old 11-28-2010, 08:11 AM
Ari

This product could really be great, but the sole showstopper was the inability to pass through 5.1 sound from my HD cable box. I will buy this again, if this issue is resolved. For Sony, not having this capability is a major fail and not excusable.
post #351 of 729 Old 11-28-2010, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes...but it will hit the magazine first in the March issue (February on the newsstands).

David Vaughn

post #352 of 729 Old 11-28-2010, 01:14 PM

I bought this unit Friday night for my upstairs tv to get rid of the blu-ray player and xbox (netflix) I had up there.

The 5.1 pass-through doesn't effect me, but it really should be fixed. The bigger problem I have is the unit doesn't toggle on/off the cable box. Also, when I search for shows which I have on my twonky server it doesn't find them. I believe the Logitech box searches twonky's listings.

It is a shame they didn't have built in ir blasters as well as the attached ones and the unit should have an ir receiver. That's just Sony being cheap, which is sad since the unit is so much money, or lazy.

I really like the unit, and even my wife likes it and it's easy enough for her to us aside from the cable box on/off thing. The remote is big, but not too bad. The wife agrees with that. I would have liked it better if it were a slide out keyboard with mic support.

There definitely are a lot of little things to fix as far as feature and UI continuity, but this is a good start.

One thing it really needs is Cablecard tuner support via network or USB. I want to stop paying monthly fees to Comcast for a crappy box, not add another box which takes up space and power. This is huge and I almost wanted to wait to buy a google tv unit for this. I'm hoping my early adoption will at least help the platform grow.

Also, it would be great if someone could get Kinect to work with this. Voice and gesture menu navigation could really speed up the interface. At least we will have Sony's remote app for android at sometime.
post #353 of 729 Old 11-28-2010, 06:28 PM

To Dave; March issue? Would not it be kinda pointless to publish a review at that time? There's gonna be a second gen most likely revealed at CES in January...

OLED, Qualia
post #354 of 729 Old 11-28-2010, 07:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaiofreak View Post

To Dave; March issue? Would not it be kinda pointless to publish a review at that time? There's gonna be a second gen most likely revealed at CES in January...

It will actually hit newsstands at the beginning of February. Unfortunately, that's the print world...it takes nearly 2 months from the print deadline for something to reach the streets.

We actually have two pieces on the product, one by Kim Wilson on Google TV itself looking at both the Sony and the Logitech products. I'm looking at the Sony product from the Blu-ray standpoint with only a minor focus on Google TV (that doesn't work with my setup anyway...it doesn't play nice with TiVo).

David Vaughn

post #355 of 729 Old 11-28-2010, 09:36 PM
Advanced Member

I sure hope the units being announced at CES will have backlighting built into the remotes...
post #356 of 729 Old 11-29-2010, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

For anyone interested, my review of the NSZ-GT1 just went up.
post #357 of 729 Old 11-30-2010, 01:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by babgvant View Post

Thanks for the review, it was very thorough. I do have one question, doesn't the HDMI version of 1.3 that is built into the player prevent it from being upgraded in the future to fully support 3D?
post #358 of 729 Old 11-30-2010, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babgvant View Post

Found some very interesting stuff about "Control for HDMI" that I had no idea about. Do you have any more details on how it works, which TVs and A/V Receivers are supported, and how to set it up properly?
post #359 of 729 Old 11-30-2010, 02:28 PM

Shortly after debut, a Google TV rep came on here and said that Sony was working on a fix for the 5.1 passthrough issue. Since then, we haven't heard a thing. Furthermore, it looks like the Logitech unit is getting a Netflix update that will bring the UI more in line with other devices. Again, nothing from Sony.

I'm very sorry that I bought the Sony Google TV product.

By the way, has anyone found a way to use an IR receiver for Bluray functionality? It's ironic that it was Logitech that made an IR receiver for the Playstation 3. Maybe they can do the same for the Sony Google TV? I don't mind using the Sony remote when using the search function and other Google TV related stuff, but for playing Bluray movies, it makes no sense at all. Not having an IR receiver was (one of) the most short-sighted things Sony did with this unit.
post #360 of 729 Old 11-30-2010, 04:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for the review, it was very thorough. I do have one question, doesn't the HDMI version of 1.3 that is built into the player prevent it from being upgraded in the future to fully support 3D?

AFAIK, the only limitation is the firmware; the underlying hardware supports frame sequential 3D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy1975 View Post

Found some very interesting stuff about "Control for HDMI" that I had no idea about. Do you have any more details on how it works, which TVs and A/V Receivers are supported, and how to set it up properly?

What AVR/TV do you have? "Control for HDMI" is Sony's branding for HDMI CEC. The owner's manual for your components should specify if it supports CEC.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Sony Nsz Gt1 Wi Fi Enabled Blu Ray Disc Player , Sony Bdp S770 3d Blu Ray Disc Player With Wi Fi , Sony Bdp S570 3d Blu Ray Disc Player , Sony Bdp S470 3d Blu Ray Disc Player , Sony Bdp S370 Blu Ray Disc Player
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page