Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 732 Old 01-09-2011, 06:21 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfer1medic1 View Post

I have had no luck getting onto the internet for the past 2wks. I keep getting "out of range message" Funny thing is I have not changed anything and all was working before. This may have happened after the update. Any ideas. My router is in my computer room. My Tv set up is in the living room.

I've been having WIFI issues recently as well. I'll go to use Youtube or the browser and it'll give me an error. When I go into my settings, it shows I am not connected and that the connection is out of range. However, I can manually tell it to connect and then it will connect fine and stay connected for the session.

This may have been introduced with the last update as I had no problems like this before either. Could be that when it goes to sleep or after you've been away for a while, it loses connection? I dont know what's going on, but it's annoying having to reconnect every time I want to do something other than watch my DVR.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 732 Old 01-09-2011, 03:57 PM

I received an update today. Here's hoping they fixed the frame rate issue since the last update that included the Netflix upgrade. I'll let you know.

If nothing else, I'm impressed with Google's number of updates. I've had 3 since purchasing.

As I'm typing, I'm getting frames dropping. So it doesn't appear to be a fix for the frame rate issue.
post #453 of 732 Old 01-14-2011, 01:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quick question. When it has been a while since the unit was last on, I get a solid green screen when powering on. Could this be do to a bad HDMI cable? Once I reboot it it will be fine until the next time it is powered down for some time.
post #454 of 732 Old 01-14-2011, 01:06 PM

hi guys -- got the toy last night and haven't been able to figure out how to change the input on the audio receiver using the sony remote. i can control volume on the AVR and switch it on/off but i need to be able to switch inputs on the AVR depending on what im watching -- blu-ray or cable. i can switch it once to the next input but then nothing works.

thanks in advance!
post #455 of 732 Old 01-23-2011, 10:27 AM
gvc
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Android Market rumored for google tv in March/April

http://androidandme.com/2011/01/news...in-marchapril/
post #456 of 732 Old 01-24-2011, 11:36 AM

I have my Google TV in another room, with an HDMI cable run to my kitchen LCD. Is there a way to extend the signal for the remote control so I can use it in the kitchen? I have an IR kit run with the HDMI cable, but it doesn't appear to work with the Google TV unit and controller.
post #457 of 732 Old 01-30-2011, 09:38 PM

Can someone help me get my NSZ-GT1 to play nice with my Samsung receiver? From my Comcast Motorola dvr, I have no video, and the audio pulsates on/off every second. Sometimes the video does appear, but it too pulsates on/off along with the audio.

Here's my setup as Sony recommends (all using HDMI connections): Motorola dvr -> GT1 -> Samsung av receiver (model HT-C6900W) -> Sony TV. GT1 apps that output video/audio work fine (except Netflix that displays the video, but no audio, thinking unrelated problem though).

I checked the output on the dvr, it's set to 1080i. I checked all cables, no loose connections. Is this some sort of DRM issue from the dvr perhaps? I tried HD and non-HD channels from Comcast, same issue.

I'd love to get everything working using completely HDMI if possible without having to resort to an optical digital cable. Anyone have any thoughts on the problem?

Thanks in advance.
post #458 of 732 Old 01-31-2011, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeAcunzo View Post

Is this some sort of DRM issue from the dvr perhaps?

YES. I had this same issue with my Verizon Fios DVR connected to the Sony NSZ-GT1 then Denon AVR then Samsung TV. Apparently the DVR only authorizes 2 items in the HDMI chain so with the Denon AVR & the TV everything is fine. Add the GT1 to the HDMI chain and the picture/sound just keeps blinking on/off & occasionally I would get a content protection message on the screen. Supposedly Verizon is working on a fix to be released in the next firmware update. No idea about Comcast though. I eventually returned my GT1 as this and many other issues made me feel it was not worth the $399 to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeAcunzo View Post

Can someone help me get my NSZ-GT1 to play nice with my Samsung receiver? From my Comcast Motorola dvr, I have no video, and the audio pulsates on/off every second. Sometimes the video does appear, but it too pulsates on/off along with the audio.

Here's my setup as Sony recommends (all using HDMI connections): Motorola dvr -> GT1 -> Samsung av receiver (model HT-C6900W) -> Sony TV. GT1 apps that output video/audio work fine (except Netflix that displays the video, but no audio, thinking unrelated problem though).

I checked the output on the dvr, it's set to 1080i. I checked all cables, no loose connections. Is this some sort of DRM issue from the dvr perhaps? I tried HD and non-HD channels from Comcast, same issue.

I'd love to get everything working using completely HDMI if possible without having to resort to an optical digital cable. Anyone have any thoughts on the problem?

Thanks in advance.

post #459 of 732 Old 02-04-2011, 07:04 PM

Am I the only person having problems with netflix? I swear I am so upset with sony and google! This thing cost way too much to be having these problems. Netflix will not launch for some reason on my NSZ-GT1
post #460 of 732 Old 02-04-2011, 07:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Caveat Emptor: http://www.hometheater.com/content/g...ny-internet-tv

It's Blu-ray playback isn't much better and will be in next months issue.

David Vaughn

Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer

Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)

post #461 of 732 Old 02-04-2011, 08:43 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awwready1 View Post

Am I the only person having problems with netflix? I swear I am so upset with sony and google! This thing cost way too much to be having these problems. Netflix will not launch for some reason on my NSZ-GT1

I had the same problem. Rebuild your box by going into settings and reset back to factory defaults. Then try logging into Netflix and you should be good (worked for me). Box even works faster now that I started from scratch again.
post #462 of 732 Old 02-04-2011, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmo View Post

I had the same problem. Rebuild your box by going into settings and reset back to factory defaults. Then try logging into Netflix and you should be good (worked for me). Box even works faster now that I started from scratch again.

I did that and it worked fine. Then it reverted back to not launching. I don't want to reset it everytime. Did you have to rebuild your box multiple times?
post #463 of 732 Old 02-04-2011, 09:44 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awwready1 View Post

I did that and it worked fine. Then it reverted back to not launching. I don't want to reset it everytime. Did you have to rebuild your box multiple times?

No...just the one time and it has worked ever since. Going on a week now (Netflix newbie).
post #464 of 732 Old 02-05-2011, 06:07 PM
als

I too am wondering how can you access your favorite channel list from the STB via the Sony remote? I get the part about Bookmarks but I am looking for one key that allows you to step through only the FAV channels.
post #465 of 732 Old 02-07-2011, 06:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn View Post

Caveat Emptor: http://www.hometheater.com/content/g...ny-internet-tv

It's Blu-ray playback isn't much better and will be in next months issue.

For something that's dated 1/31/2011, it's shows it was written in early December or perhaps earlier. The Netflix interface has been revamped to be similar to the advanced user interface the PS3 has. It's about as good a Netflix interface as is available anywhere. Also the media player, while still lacking, can handle more formats now. This all happened in mid December, if I remember right.

While I didn't bother with the whole review, one section I did read, makes me wonder if he even used the remote...

Quote:

Here are a couple of examples that really tripped me up with the keyboard layout. Three important functions found in the upper section of the remote—Guide, TV, and DVR—require you to hunt for and hold down the ESC key in the lower section to activate them.

WRONG. You do NOT need to hold down any buttons for those to do those functions. If you wanna use Blu-Ray funtions, you need to hold the Fn key(not the Esc key at all).

Don't get me wrong, I don't like the remote as it is, but it makes me wonder if he actually used the remote for more than a minute or so.
post #466 of 732 Old 02-07-2011, 10:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 108
It's actually a "she" that wrote the review.

I still have the GoogleTV at my house and while it has gotten better with the firmware update(s), it still isn't all that great IMHO. As a Blu-ray player, you can get so much more for about $100 less. Frankly, a PS3 can do more than the Sony Google TV and is a better bargain.

David Vaughn

Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer

Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)

post #467 of 732 Old 02-11-2011, 08:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Hello all,

I went to ABT today, its a local store in Chicagoland, they are selling Sony Internet TV Player.. also. the Blue Ray Player plus the keypad remote for 299.00 dollars, its a good deal as compared to the 399 all over the internet.

Not sure how this item works. But i have an HTPC hooked over to my 52" LCD, and i switch inbetween the computer and cable/dish.

How is Google TV player different?? Is it any good??

Here is the link for the item.

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...52921666273500

post #468 of 732 Old 02-11-2011, 08:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 18
ABT is selling this for 299. I wonder if this item is any good for me. I already have an HTPC connected to my 52" LCD. Please let me know what is so unique about this??
post #469 of 732 Old 02-12-2011, 01:15 PM
DNW

I purchased the NSZ-GT1 last October 30th and returned it on November 27th, because of several issues. I am considering re-purchasing it now. I do not have a Blu Ray player, and like the idea of having one, especially since I will not need to use an additional HDMI input. Possibly someone can tell me if any of these issues have been resolved in the intervening months:

1. No pass through of DD5.1, only stereo available (this was a deal breaker for me).
2. Is DD5.1 available for Netflix shows?
3. Are the networks still blocked? How about Hulu+
4. Integration with DirecTV?
5. Have there been any other upgrades or improvements?
6. 3D?
7. Can I run ITunes on it?
8. Has support for video formats improved? Most of my home movies would not play. They are all standard stuff, all play perfectly on my computer.

Thanks.
post #470 of 732 Old 02-12-2011, 04:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNW View Post

I purchased the NSZ-GT1 last October 30th and returned it on November 27th, because of several issues. I am considering re-purchasing it now. I do not have a Blu Ray player, and like the idea of having one, especially since I will not need to use an additional HDMI input. Possibly someone can tell me if any of these issues have been resolved in the intervening months:

1. No pass through of DD5.1, only stereo available (this was a deal breaker for me).
6. 3D?
8. Has support for video formats improved? Most of my home movies would not play. They are all standard stuff, all play perfectly on my computer.

Thanks.

1. Yes. This has been fixed. There is now an option to turn it on.
2. No. As far as I know, 5.1 is exclusive to the PS3.
3. Yes, the networks are still being stubborn. This is not exclusive to Google tho as I believe they are blocked on Boxee too(but not sure). Playon DOES work tho and allows access. Hulu+ is still not on Google.
4. If you mean like DISH network has, no there is not.
5. They upgraded the Netflix interface to be the same as what is on the PS3(minus DD5.1). Also the media player handles more formats.
6. No but knowing that Sony has models that have 3D and only 1.3 HDMI ports(S470, S570, PS3) I wouldn't be surprised to see it added to this player either.
7. I don't know
8. As mentioned above, the player does now support more formats. While I wouldn't consider it that great at all, it is better than it was initially.
post #471 of 732 Old 02-14-2011, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNW View Post

6. 3D?

Thanks.

1. There was an update that enables it, but in my experience it's "beta" label is quite correct.
2. It isn't. The sound coming out of Netflix app is bizzare. Doesn't look like it can even do Stereo properly. It's coming through my center and right speakers only for some reason. The left one, subwoofer and satellites are stubbornly quiet, no matter the system's settings.
3. Yes they are. Google is really dragging their feet with this one. They should put more effort into convincing the networks that embracing the Google TV platform is in their own best interest. And if they can't do that -there's always the nuclear option of going to all-out war with the networks. A hacked version of Flash player for Android platform already exists for handsets that bypasses all the blocks; Google only needs to allow installation of 3rd-party apps for this to be rectified.
4. Not yet.
5. Just the one bringing pass-through 5.1 and new Netflix app.
6. Nope.
7. Well, aside from the pre-installed apps you can't really run anything else "on it". However, if you can set up your media server to pump your iTunes library via DLNA, the built-in Media Player app should pick it up just fine.
8. Personally, I see this particular feature of the update (better media support) as a step backwards. Files from my library that used to play perfectly before, now consistently cause the Media Player app to freeze the entire unit. A few times I waited long enough for the "Application not responding" message to come up which gave me the option to force-close the app. Mostly though it requires a reboot via the "three-finger salute". I almost wish I could roll back this update, 5.1 and Netflix be damned.
post #472 of 732 Old 02-14-2011, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy1975 View Post

1. There was an update that enables it, but in my experience it's "beta" label is quite correct.
2. It isn't. The sound coming out of Netflix app is bizzare. Doesn't look like it can even do Stereo properly. It's coming through my center and right speakers only for some reason. The left one, subwoofer and satellites are stubbornly quiet, no matter the system's settings.
3. Yes they are. Google is really dragging their feet with this one. They should put more effort into convincing the networks that embracing the Google TV platform is in their own best interest. And if they can't do that -there's always the nuclear option of going to all-out war with the networks. A hacked version of Flash player for Android platform already exists for handsets that bypasses all the blocks; Google only needs to allow installation of 3rd-party apps for this to be rectified.
4. Not yet.
5. Just the one bringing pass-through 5.1 and new Netflix app.
6. Nope.
7. Well, aside from the pre-installed apps you can't really run anything else "on it". However, if you can set up your media server to pump your iTunes library via DLNA, the built-in Media Player app should pick it up just fine.
8. Personally, I see this particular feature of the update (better media support) as a step backwards. Files from my library that used to play perfectly before, now consistently cause the Media Player app to freeze the entire unit. A few times I waited long enough for the "Application not responding" message to come up which gave me the option to force-close the app. Mostly though it requires a reboot via the "three-finger salute". I almost wish I could roll back this update, 5.1 and Netflix be damned.

What I want to know is if it will play XVID files. I just got one for $310 shipped.
post #473 of 732 Old 02-17-2011, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wipedout View Post

What I want to know is if it will play XVID files. I just got one for $310 shipped.

My library is mostly DivX, with a few XviDs sprinkled here and there. Most play just fine (including the XviDs) but like I said, some just completely freeze up the player requiring a reboot. Seems completely random which files will cause this.
post #474 of 732 Old 02-19-2011, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy1975 View Post

My library is mostly DivX, with a few XviDs sprinkled here and there. Most play just fine (including the XviDs) but like I said, some just completely freeze up the player requiring a reboot. Seems completely random which files will cause this.

Well I can't play my 720p Xvid but standard xvid will work. Also mkv works without a hitch.
post #475 of 732 Old 03-11-2011, 07:44 PM

Got an update tonight. Not sure what it did since the wife won't give up the remote as it's in the bedroom.
post #476 of 732 Old 03-13-2011, 10:29 PM

I just picked up a 46HX800 but have a Google Blu-Ray player in that room.
I really hope that they have firmware upgrade to enable 3D playback on this player.
post #477 of 732 Old 03-23-2011, 12:30 PM

What ever happened to the major "revamp" google was talking about coming to google tv?
post #478 of 732 Old 03-24-2011, 11:19 AM

I don't recall Google talking about a revamp. I do distinctly remember them mentioning Android Market being available on Google TV platform in "early 2011." Seeing how we're quickly approaching the end of Q1, I wonder what's keeping them.
post #479 of 732 Old 03-25-2011, 10:57 PM

According to the same sources, cited by DigiTimes, production will be restarted when Google has updated its platform or when a new version of Google TV will be available.

At the moment, it isn't quite clear when this happens, but it seems like this is scheduled for February or March, at the same time with the Android 3.0 (Honeycomb) launch, although the two are not directly linked with each other.
post #480 of 732 Old 04-08-2011, 12:44 PM

A new update just installed this morning on my NSZ-GT1, but I have no idea what's in it. I don't see any changes yet, but maybe I just haven't looked in the right place.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Sony Nsz Gt1 Wi Fi Enabled Blu Ray Disc Player , Sony Bdp S770 3d Blu Ray Disc Player With Wi Fi , Sony Bdp S570 3d Blu Ray Disc Player , Sony Bdp S470 3d Blu Ray Disc Player , Sony Bdp S370 Blu Ray Disc Player
Gear in this thread - S570 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page