Originally Posted by DNW
1. No pass through of DD5.1, only stereo available (this was a deal breaker for me).
2. Is DD5.1 available for Netflix shows?
3. Are the networks still blocked? How about Hulu+
4. Integration with DirecTV?
5. Have there been any other upgrades or improvements?
7. Can I run ITunes on it?
8. Has support for video formats improved? Most of my home movies would not play. They are all standard stuff, all play perfectly on my computer.
1. There was an update that enables it, but in my experience it's "beta" label is quite correct.
2. It isn't. The sound coming out of Netflix app is bizzare. Doesn't look like it can even do Stereo properly. It's coming through my center and right speakers only for some reason. The left one, subwoofer and satellites are stubbornly quiet, no matter the system's settings.
3. Yes they are. Google is really dragging their feet with this one. They should put more effort into convincing the networks that embracing the Google TV platform is in their own best interest. And if they can't do that -there's always the nuclear option of going to all-out war with the networks. A hacked version of Flash player for Android platform already exists for handsets that bypasses all the blocks; Google only needs to allow installation of 3rd-party apps for this to be rectified.
4. Not yet.
5. Just the one bringing pass-through 5.1 and new Netflix app.
7. Well, aside from the pre-installed apps you can't really run anything else "on it". However, if you can set up your media server to pump your iTunes library via DLNA, the built-in Media Player app should pick it up just fine.
8. Personally, I see this particular feature of the update (better media support) as a step backwards. Files from my library that used to play perfectly before, now consistently cause the Media Player app to freeze the entire unit. A few times I waited long enough for the "Application not responding" message to come up which gave me the option to force-close the app. Mostly though it requires a reboot via the "three-finger salute". I almost wish I could roll back this update, 5.1 and Netflix be damned.