Sony NSZ-GT1 with GOOGLE TV - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 729 Old 10-19-2010, 04:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Well, I did pick mine up last night and set it up. So far I love everything about it(well I'm no thrilled they used an ancient version of the Netflix interface only able to see your instant queue... seriously WTH were they thinking...) EXCEPT that damn remote. I love the whole integration thing and there is a ton of content, but I just really hate the remote. While the keyboard is nice to have with it, the overal layout and functionality of it is terrible.

The key layout for normal remote usage is horrible, requiring you to have 2 hands on it most of the time. As others have said, some simple functions just require extra unnecessary effort to accomplish(like channel recall). What I end up doing is keeping my normal Directv remote handy and using it when watching TV and only go back to the Sony remote when I have to. It has no learning capabilities, so if it's not preprogrammed in, your screwed.

They really need to get some type of better remote out there that works as a universal remote and thinks normal TV remote style first and also it needs to be backlit. Something like the new Tivo remote with slideout keyboard, that is backlit, would be the perfect solution. While I CAN see more useful and better remotes coming out for this thing, I dunno if I am willing to wait for them.

I just don't understand Sony thought process on the remotes. If you want to integrate this thing into the whole viewing experience, then you need to give the viewer flexibility on how to set it up. Don't tell me how I should do things, let ME decide how I want to do things.

I'll play with it a while longer to see if I can get used to the remote, but I need to take a closer look at the Logitech version.

Also a question for those that have this, is there an Amazon on Demand integrated app? When I look at the list of installed programs(in the settings|manage programs) I DO see an entry for an Amazon on Demand app, but I don't see it anywhere in the menus. I can goto the AoD website and stream stuff, but I was hoping for an integrated app, like Netflix(although as I mentioned, the Netflix app leaves a lot to be desired).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 729 Old 10-19-2010, 05:29 AM

Liked: 10
So are you guys saying you can't even use a universal IR remote to control the Bluray functionality of this device? I can understand the necessity to use the supplied remote to control the Google TV and related stuff, but for popping in a Bluray and playing a movie, we should be able to use our Harmony remotes.

Any luck we might see some kind of USB dongle like there is for the PS3 now that let's you use IR remotes?

A very short-sighted move by Sony. My player should be coming today and I'll play around with it for a couple of days before deciding whether to keep it. I almost decided ahead of time to just refuse the shipment so I wouldn't have to play return shipping costs if I decide to return it, but I'll give it a fair chance first!
post #93 of 729 Old 10-19-2010, 05:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travisimo View Post

So are you guys saying you can't even use a universal IR remote to control the Bluray functionality of this device? I can understand the necessity to use the supplied remote to control the Google TV and related stuff, but for popping in a Bluray and playing a movie, we should be able to use our Harmony remotes.

Any luck we might see some kind of USB dongle like there is for the PS3 now that let's you use IR remotes?

A very short-sighted move by Sony. My player should be coming today and I'll play around with it for a couple of days before deciding whether to keep it. I almost decided ahead of time to just refuse the shipment so I wouldn't have to play return shipping costs if I decide to return it, but I'll give it a fair chance first!

On the Sony, as far as I can tell, it will not receive IR commands(although the Sony remote does have, what looks like an IR window on it). It is RF only at the moment. Sony is following in their tradition of basically trying to force their thinking onto others and trying to tell the user how things should be done, instead of the user deciding for themselves. They did it with the PS3 and the bluetooth only remote. Now it seems they are doing it with this remote and the RF only. It's basically Sony's remote or the highway at this point, if you wanna use the Blu-Ray part.

I do not know about the Logitech. I would think the Logitech would be a bit more flexible with the Harmony line as part of Logitech. But then again, Logitech isn't known for their smarts either, so who knows.
post #94 of 729 Old 10-19-2010, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_IV View Post

Well, I did pick mine up last night and set it up. So far I love everything about it(well I'm no thrilled they used an ancient version of the Netflix interface only able to see your instant queue... seriously WTH were they thinking...) EXCEPT that damn remote. I love the whole integration thing and there is a ton of content, but I just really hate the remote. While the keyboard is nice to have with it, the overal layout and functionality of it is terrible.

The key layout for normal remote usage is horrible, requiring you to have 2 hands on it most of the time. As others have said, some simple functions just require extra unnecessary effort to accomplish(like channel recall). What I end up doing is keeping my normal Directv remote handy and using it when watching TV and only go back to the Sony remote when I have to. It has no learning capabilities, so if it's not preprogrammed in, your screwed.

They really need to get some type of better remote out there that works as a universal remote and thinks normal TV remote style first and also it needs to be backlit. Something like the new Tivo remote with slideout keyboard, that is backlit, would be the perfect solution. While I CAN see more useful and better remotes coming out for this thing, I dunno if I am willing to wait for them.

I just don't understand Sony thought process on the remotes. If you want to integrate this thing into the whole viewing experience, then you need to give the viewer flexibility on how to set it up. Don't tell me how I should do things, let ME decide how I want to do things.

I'll play with it a while longer to see if I can get used to the remote, but I need to take a closer look at the Logitech version.

Also a question for those that have this, is there an Amazon on Demand integrated app? When I look at the list of installed programs(in the settings|manage programs) I DO see an entry for an Amazon on Demand app, but I don't see it anywhere in the menus. I can goto the AoD website and stream stuff, but I was hoping for an integrated app, like Netflix(although as I mentioned, the Netflix app leaves a lot to be desired).

I found out that "tab" button is used as recall on the DirecTV systems. That was one big issue I had with the box, but another one still remains that the box doesn't power on or off when the Sony NSZ-GT1 does.

As for Amazon on Demand, I hear that there is an app that works as a shortcut to a GoogleTV formatted webpage.
post #95 of 729 Old 10-19-2010, 06:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfriend81 View Post

I found out that "tab" button is used as recall on the DirecTV systems. That was one big issue I had with the box, but another one still remains that the box doesn't power on or off when the Sony NSZ-GT1 does.

As for Amazon on Demand, I hear that there is an app that works as a shortcut to a GoogleTV formatted webpage.

Thanks for the tip on the tab key. I'll try that. I did finally find that the esc key works as the exit key for Directv(I couldn't clear the guide from the screen until I figured that out )

On the Amazon app, I can't find anything relating to Amazon on Demand, at all, within the menu system or shortcuts. I could have missed it, but I just don't see it at all. I ended up going to Chrome and typing in amazon.com/vod to get to the generic homepage.
post #96 of 729 Old 10-19-2010, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupismaximus View Post

Funny thing is you hit Cntrl Alt Del to reboot.

Please see link: http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/sup...710&mdl=NSZGT1

Why did i not think of that...lol... i will give it a try once i get home. Thanks.
post #97 of 729 Old 10-19-2010, 06:18 AM

Can someone post if when you access the internet is there a home page with customizable content? And is there a way to save URL bookmarks/favorites for frequently visited sites?

thanks in advance.
post #98 of 729 Old 10-19-2010, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepowersin1 View Post

Can someone post if when you access the internet is there a home page with customizable content? And is there a way to save URL bookmarks/favorites for frequently visited sites?

thanks in advance.

yes there is. you first get to google.com and from there you can go to any site you want. you can also bookmark the site and there is a frequently visited tab also.
post #99 of 729 Old 10-19-2010, 07:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Interesting, I just read at the Sony forums that someone used a 3rd party wireless Keyboard mouse combination with the system. Didn't know it could do that.
post #100 of 729 Old 10-19-2010, 07:46 AM

cfriend81......you can get back to the previous channel by hitting the TAB button on the Sony Remote......did you figure out how to use the sony remote to power off the directv box yet? where is the droid app in the market place? any help would be appreciated danielgmoriarty@gmail.com
post #101 of 729 Old 10-19-2010, 07:57 AM

I picked up the Sony Google TV Blu-Ray player at BB yesterday and I have been experiencing similar issue to everyone here. I really like the concept of the box and think it will be a lot more refined in 6 months than it is now. That said, I really love the search functionality and the overlay on top of my AT&T U-verse service. Very nice.

My main complaints/Issues so far are:

-No backlight on remote control -- I was used to this on my Harmony remote, especially in the dark during movies
-Can't get audio stream from HDMI to pass untouched to receiver when using Blu-ray, so my receiver can handle the decoding and processing of the HD audio streams. I can only get HD audio streams to work when the Sony box does the decoding and passes a direct signal to the receiver. I prefer that my receiver does the decoding so the receiver display correctly displays the audio stream format....plus I think the receiver does a better job with decoding.
-Without using a toslink cable connected from U-Verse receiver to Onkyo Receiver, I can't get more than 2 channel audio from U-Verse. This is a pain because I then have to manually change the audio source on the receiver when switching between blu-ray (HDMI) and U-verse (toslink).
- System power functionality -- I can't figure out how to use one power button to turn all components on/off.
post #102 of 729 Old 10-19-2010, 08:18 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by manu820 View Post

yes there is. you first get to google.com and from there you can go to any site you want. you can also bookmark the site and there is a frequently visited tab also.

is the chrome browser installed on this box the standard chrome browser? ie; sync, extensions, bookmark bar, etc?
post #103 of 729 Old 10-19-2010, 08:18 AM

Maybe I'm missing it, but when in Chrome, what's the key combo to bring up a box to enter in a URL?
post #104 of 729 Old 10-19-2010, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by almazza View Post

Maybe I'm missing it, but when in Chrome, what's the key combo to bring up a box to enter in a URL?

Use the search button
post #105 of 729 Old 10-19-2010, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyevin View Post

is the chrome browser installed on this box the standard chrome browser? ie; sync, extensions, bookmark bar, etc?

i belive it is. It looks like the standard browser for the pc.... the only difference that i see is that when you get to a page you want to bookmark you get an option so that you may save it on the main menu of the device and not inside the browser. but i will check again tonight.
post #106 of 729 Old 10-19-2010, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_gmo View Post

cfriend81......you can get back to the previous channel by hitting the TAB button on the Sony Remote......did you figure out how to use the sony remote to power off the directv box yet? where is the droid app in the market place? any help would be appreciated danielgmoriarty@gmail.com

Figured out the recall button last night. Thanks though.
post #107 of 729 Old 10-19-2010, 09:56 AM

It is the same Chrome browser that is on Android Phones. It is similar to the PC version, but does not have all the same features.

Quote:

i belive it is. It looks like the standard browser for the pc.... the only difference that i see is that when you get to a page you want to bookmark you get an option so that you may save it on the main menu of the device and not inside the browser. but i will check again tonight.

post #108 of 729 Old 10-19-2010, 09:58 AM

I unfortunately found another problem this morning. I was listening to Pandora music, and then decided to go to live TV by hitting the TV button. It changed to TV, but did not stop the music playing in the back ground. I had to go back into Pandora, hit stop, and then go back to the TV.

Can others verify if this is a bug or particular to my unit?
post #109 of 729 Old 10-19-2010, 10:08 AM

Again, any RF remote can be used with this device, like a Harmony 900 or 1100. This is great if you own one of these remotes, but if not, then you are spending $225+ dollars to get one. I don't think it is a good investment because then you loose the keyboard, which is important for searching and web surfing. Do like others do, use the POS Sony remote for Google TV funtions, but use your standard remote or Harmony IR remote for all TV functions. In the Harmony One I set up a Watch TV activity, which switched my Receiver to the Optical input from my Cable Box, but kept my TV input on the Sony GT1 device. It Isn't ideal, but it would allow me to watch TV semi normal, listen to my cable stations in Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound, not have to worry if I hit the AMP button to control my volume, and be able to turn everything off when I was done, except for the Sony GT1 device. This would require me to use the Sony remote.

Here is a thought, and I will try this later today. What is you put in a USB dongle that would accept a IR signal, like I do on my PS3. There is a USB port in front of the player, and if Android has generic drivers like the PS3 does, then we are all set. I will let you know if this works, but again this is a ban aid if so.

In regards to the window in front of the Sony remote, that is for IR functions. This is how your TV is controlled. I don't know why they couldn't allow us to choose if we wanted to use an IR blaster or that same IR transmitter to control my Receiver and Cable box. The IR blaster allows me not having to point the remote at the components, which can be nice.

For those wondering, you can use your Harmony IR remote, like a Harmony One, on the Revue Google TV unit, since it is a Logitech device

Quote:

Interesting, I just read at the Sony forums that someone used a 3rd party wireless Keyboard mouse combination with the system. Didn't know it could do that.

post #110 of 729 Old 10-19-2010, 10:34 AM

Quote:

It is the same Chrome browser that is on Android Phones.

No, it is not the same browser that is on Android phones. It's a modified version of the Chrome browser for Linux.

I haven't been able to experiment with extensions or tried syncing bookmarks with it yet however.
post #111 of 729 Old 10-19-2010, 11:01 AM

Quote:

I can't figure out for the life of me how to bookmark or change the favorites page (cause I really need Best Buy and Sony links).
post #112 of 729 Old 10-19-2010, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nisamun View Post

I can't figure out for the life of me how to bookmark or change the favorites page (cause I really need Best Buy and Sony links).

to bookmark you press the little star button on the remote and then you are give 2 options to save it: as a bookmark or as a feed
post #113 of 729 Old 10-19-2010, 11:24 AM

Quote:

to bookmark you press the little star button on the remote and then you are give 2 options to save it: as a bookmark or as a feed

Thanks, I was sitting here thinking it was probably on the remote. I was trying to find it last night in the settings somewhere.
post #114 of 729 Old 10-19-2010, 11:29 AM

So, putting aside the short comings of the hardware for a second, I think it'll be real interesting to see where this goes. Just the fact that this sits inline with your TV should be huge. I don't see a technical reason why adding services like a Sling service and the like won't be possible.
post #115 of 729 Old 10-19-2010, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I unfortunately found another problem this morning. I was listening to Pandora music, and then decided to go to live TV by hitting the TV button. It changed to TV, but did not stop the music playing in the back ground. I had to go back into Pandora, hit stop, and then go back to the TV.

Can others verify if this is a bug or particular to my unit?

It happens on mine too, but then again, I dunno whether to consider it a bug or feature . I actually left Pandora going while I was watching something on the screen on purpose. It was a hockey game that I was just interesting the score. So I left the screen going with the hockey game and listened to Pandora while I did something else.
post #116 of 729 Old 10-19-2010, 11:55 AM

Quote:

It happens on mine too, but then again, I dunno whether to consider it a bug or feature . I actually left Pandora going while I was watching something on the screen on purpose. It was a hockey game that I was just interesting the score. So I left the screen going with the hockey game and listened to Pandora while I did something else.

Wait, you mean you don't want to listen to the Isles announcers either?
post #117 of 729 Old 10-19-2010, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by almazza View Post

Wait, you mean you don't want to listen to the Isles announcers either?

Heh, it was the Ranger on VS... but I realized late that Sam Rosen was actually doing the coverage, so I started listening to the game audio

Quote:

In regards to the window in front of the Sony remote, that is for IR functions. This is how your TV is controlled. I don't know why they couldn't allow us to choose if we wanted to use an IR blaster or that same IR transmitter to control my Receiver and Cable box. The IR blaster allows me not having to point the remote at the components, which can be nice.

Umm, I thought the remote sent an RF signal to the Sony box and then the IR Blasters sent an IR signal to my TV and Directv box. I didn't think that little window on the front of the remote had anything to do with controlling anything(at this time).

I'll have to see if I can link my old Harmony 890 to the system. I replaced it with an URC MX-810 a long time ago, but still have the 890 sitting around. I never did like the 890, but it would be interesting to see if it works.
post #118 of 729 Old 10-19-2010, 12:31 PM

Quote:

Umm, I thought the remote sent an RF signal to the Sony box and then the IR Blasters sent an IR signal to my TV and Directv box. I didn't think that little window on the front of the remote had anything to do with controlling anything(at this time).

I'll have to see if I can link my old Harmony 890 to the system. I replaced it with an URC MX-810 a long time ago, but still have the 890 sitting around. I never did like the 890, but it would be interesting to see if it works.

I'm almost positive that the IR window on the front of the remote is sending out commands. During the initial configuration, I was controlling the volume up/down on the TV which is around the corner from a closet with the rest of the gear (& the NSZ-GT1 IR blasters). It'd be easy enough to confirm, just pull the plug on the IR blasters.

Also, let us know if you're able to use the Harmony 890. I didn't think that it'd work with the Sony RF, but I'd like to be wrong.
post #119 of 729 Old 10-19-2010, 12:38 PM

has anyone been able to get Divix to work on this? i wasnt able to ..
post #120 of 729 Old 10-19-2010, 12:41 PM

Hi, my name is Larry Yang and I'm a product manager for Google TV at Google. First of all, I want to thank everyone for sharing your experience with the product on this forum. It's great to see the enthusiasm for how this product will change how people watch television in the future!

I will jump in from time to time to address questions and issues that aren't getting answered quickly by others. Keep in mind that some of the features and experiences are ultimately the decision of the device manufacturers, the application developers or the website owners, so I won't always be able to speak on their behalf. But rest assured that they are getting all the feedback that's shared on this forum.

Lastly, we expect your Google TV experience to evolve over time. We are working with our device partners to provide regular software updates, as you would expect from a connected device. The discussions on AVSForum provide valuable feedback for our future updates. I will share our software update plans as they become firm.

Again, thanks everyone for your support of Google TV!

== Larry Yang
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Sony Nsz Gt1 Wi Fi Enabled Blu Ray Disc Player , Sony Bdp S770 3d Blu Ray Disc Player With Wi Fi , Sony Bdp S570 3d Blu Ray Disc Player , Sony Bdp S470 3d Blu Ray Disc Player , Sony Bdp S370 Blu Ray Disc Player
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page