Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 732 Old 10-20-2010, 07:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_IV;19366454U View Post

Makes me wanna return this and get the Revue(I hate the remote that much... it just so awkward) but I do want the Blu-Ray player, so I dunno what I am gonna do. I've already returned a few Blu-Ray Players to Best Buy over the last fe weeks so they may be getting tired of seeing me LOL.

Yeah, I'm kind of on the fence so far too. I want the blu-Ray too, but hmmm guess I need to keep playing with it because I don't know if the revue would be all that earth shatteringly better since both are so new.

I did confirm I have the 880 but am using a 2 remote setup for the moment and it is annoying but doable. To be fair, it relative painless given my setup. Bigger issue for me is how the apps bring the added functionality factor to wow me. I'm like Lupismaximus - if I want Internet in the living room I have my iPad. Hmmm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 732 Old 10-20-2010, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arswhat View Post

Phew, thank god - I was worried there a moment - the one on android phones isn't too advanced.

Hey Larry, i wonder if you could answer this question:

For Europe, will there be versions of Google TV which can decode DVB-T/C tv signals? Most TV's there decode signals IN the TV - meaning you can't really place a Google TV between the TV and a cable box.

We are working with partners to deliver GoogleTV devices in Europe in the future. Stay tuned!
post #183 of 732 Old 10-20-2010, 09:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by LYang View Post

We are working with partners to deliver GoogleTV devices in Europe in the future. Stay tuned!

Are there any additional bluray players in the immediate pipeline?
post #184 of 732 Old 10-20-2010, 09:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LYang View Post

Ok - write back soon

If a carpenter makes a door he should get money every time someone uses it - he's also an "artist".
post #185 of 732 Old 10-20-2010, 11:29 PM

Unfortunately, I can't speak for Sony's release plans, but they are aware that the ability to passthru DD audio is an important feature and they are working hard on the problem.
post #186 of 732 Old 10-21-2010, 12:39 AM

The sony nszgt1 remote controls my denon receiver and directv box BUT will not power the directv box on/off and the denon receiver will not turn on via the sony remote.....is this something i did wrong?? Will the remote control and insignia led tv?? Can I use the logitech keyboard or mini remote to control the SONY NSZGT1??? Has anyone tried this?
post #187 of 732 Old 10-21-2010, 02:44 AM

Welcome to the forum. I would suggest all new comers to search through the past posts, since it probably will validate or address your initial questions surrounding the Sony GTV BR unit.

With that said, the Sony Remote does not power off the Satellite/ Cable receiver and it is a big complaint amongst us all. You can power on your receiver via the Sony remote by hitting the orange AMP button, and then hitting the left power button on the top of the remote.

Enjoy and I look forward to hearing your impressions of the unit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_gmo View Post

The sony nszgt1 remote controls my denon receiver and directv box BUT will not power the directv box on/off and the denon receiver will not turn on via the sony remote.....is this something i did wrong?? Will the remote control and insignia led tv?? Can I use the logitech keyboard or mini remote to control the SONY NSZGT1??? Has anyone tried this?

post #188 of 732 Old 10-21-2010, 05:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhollett View Post

Yeah, I'm kind of on the fence so far too. I want the blu-Ray too, but hmmm guess I need to keep playing with it because I don't know if the revue would be all that earth shatteringly better since both are so new.

I did confirm I have the 880 but am using a 2 remote setup for the moment and it is annoying but doable. To be fair, it relative painless given my setup. Bigger issue for me is how the apps bring the added functionality factor to wow me. I'm like Lupismaximus - if I want Internet in the living room I have my iPad. Hmmm.

One thing the revue has going for it is the Harmony RF remote support. In looking at the harmony software, they have setup a lot of quick buttons on the LCD of my 890 to go directly to many of the apps, which looks really nice. There would be limited times you really need that big keyboard. It would also allow you to customize your system so it would turn off the TV/Revue and Directv box with one button push.

Now for me, it's not that great. Yea I have the 890(which I never really liked anyway) but I use a URC MX-810 in the main room. While it is RF, it's again not supported on either platform. So either way I go, I really won't have the support I need.

What needs to occur and IMO occur VERY fast is some company needs to come out with an IR to RF converter for the Sony/Logitech. Something like the small little USB doggle Logitech uses for the mice now, plug it into the front USB port and have it act as an eye for the IR remotes and convert it to the RF that the Sony/Logitech units can understand. This would allow people to have better control over the situation.

For all the ways Google has tried to integrate everything together, I feel as tho Sony and even Logitech(for going RF and not including an way to receive IR commands) have almost DE-integrated things by not allowing the use of ones existing universal remote(unless you have an RF Logitech).

VERY shortsighted thinking.
post #189 of 732 Old 10-21-2010, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_IV View Post

One thing the revue has going for it is the Harmony RF remote support. In looking at the harmony software, they have setup a lot of quick buttons on the LCD of my 890 to go directly to many of the apps, which looks really nice. There would be limited times you really need that big keyboard. It would also allow you to customize your system so it would turn off the TV/Revue and Directv box with one button push.

Chuck, you're making me really torn on whether to return the Sony and get the Revue! The Harmony integration is really appealing, but I really do like that BR drive to be able to pop in a dvd or BR or whatever - without firing up the PS3, because the PS3 forces me into a 2 remote setup as well. Also, the Revue only has 1 IR blaster if I recall, but maybe that's not a big deal since my Harmony 880 controls the receiver fine. And now that I think about it, it's controlling my cable box dvr as well - so I probably don't need an IR blaster. Arg! Decisions, decisions...

One thing I noticed last night, Pandora and Youtube was very stuttering and buffered a lot. I realized my router was running in mixed mode (had forgot) so I switched it to N/G mix only and that improved things, but I ordered a bridge/switch to get everything up to 5.8ghz N speeds. Hopefully that will smooth things out since my internet usually runs 12-16mbps, otherwise, neither the Revue or the GT1 will look too appealling.
post #190 of 732 Old 10-21-2010, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhollett View Post

Chuck, you're making me really torn on whether to return the Sony and get the Revue! The Harmony integration is really appealing, but I really do like that BR drive to be able to pop in a dvd or BR or whatever - without firing up the PS3, because the PS3 forces me into a 2 remote setup as well. Also, the Revue only has 1 IR blaster if I recall, but maybe that's not a big deal since my Harmony 880 controls the receiver fine. And now that I think about it, it's controlling my cable box dvr as well - so I probably don't need an IR blaster. Arg! Decisions, decisions...

One thing I noticed last night, Pandora and Youtube was very stuttering and buffered a lot. I realized my router was running in mixed mode (had forgot) so I switched it to N/G mix only and that improved things, but I ordered a bridge/switch to get everything up to 5.8ghz N speeds. Hopefully that will smooth things out since my internet usually runs 12-16mbps, otherwise, neither the Revue or the GT1 will look too appealling.

I have my Sony GTV hooked up to my router via Wireless-N and I've been able to stream 1080p MKV files from my Mac without a hitch. It doesn't play MTS files from my digital camera though...

At any rate, I too thought about switching to the Logitech but I think I'm happy enough with the Sony to continue using it with their remote. I really do like using the Sony remote... I just wish I could use my Harmony when all I want to do is play a bluray. But since the Logitech doesn't have a bluray player anyway, I guess that's not really an issue that would make me switch. lol
post #191 of 732 Old 10-21-2010, 10:04 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 46
i picked this thing up last night a have spent roughly an hour playing around with it.
my main reasons for picking this up were blu-ray/dvd, netflix and local content streaming in one box.

i currently just have it hooked up directly to my tv with no cable box integration but will be testing with my SA 8240HDC this weekend.

thoughts: blu-ray
the first thing i'm not sure i can live with is the blu-ray player does not remember it's place on a disc when powered off or when switching back to the home screen/another function. i have 10 yr old dvd players that can remember where it was when i power them off or change settings/functions - i'm still amazed when a product released today does not have this ability.

this is my first blu-ray or any high def player so i can't compare picture quality but the quality seems very good based on viewing by brothers ps3. the player itself is very simple in it's functionality - basic stop/play/pause/ff/info and that's about it. no internal settings for picture adjustments, although there are some settings for film mode, framerate, etc.

thoughts: streaming
i'm using tversity on my server running win xp - this box is very temperamental in regards to A. seeing the server, B. connecting to the server and C. displaying the content on the server. once it does make that connection, as long as the file type is one the player agrees with it appears to play fine. these are all standard def dvd rips using handbrake. my h.264 .mkv files will not play, certain h.264 .m4v files appear to be fine while others do not even show up in the file list - i'll have to do some investigating to determine why that is and do some testing with different encodings. as of now it is unusable with my current setup for streaming due to the inconsistent connection issue. i'll have to do some looking into other solutions to install on my server - any ideas guys? i'm thinking i'll try the wmp 11 solution to use DLNA on my win xp box.

thoughts: general
the chrome browser does not have an address bar, does not allow extensions or syncing and has minimal adjustment of settings. very stripped down compared to the version available for pc's.

personally i feel the interface is weak. i've been using android since the G1 phone, am currently using a samsung vibrant and love the platform but this just feels like android lite to me. not blown away with any of the interfacing and lack of adjustments and ability to customize.

as far as the remote is concerned - once i get it hooked up to my main setup with my cable box and receiver i may change my mind though based on lack of universal control. actually using the remote i have no issues with however.

android apps. yea i knew there wouldn't be any until 2011, not a huge deal but it will be interesting to see what shows up.

as of today i doubt i'll be keeping the player as it just doesn't work they way i need it to in order to fulfill my requirements. if i can get streaming working consistently, added file support showed up and a fix was pushed out for the blu-ray player saving it's position on the disc i could probably overlook some of the more trivial issues hoping updates to the OS kept coming.
post #192 of 732 Old 10-21-2010, 10:04 AM

True, Travisimo. I guess I just need to be patient and see what develops. Plus, I really like the extra memory capacity of the GT1 vs the Revue. May not be a big deal now, but could be later.

It's a shame as Chuck pointed out, both products are so close - but just not quite there. Hopefully the apps and remote integration will get there sooner than later, 3rd party or otherwise.

I hope to add in my Pogoplug drives to the mix later this week and try streaming some files and see how that goes. I'll post back my experiences.
post #193 of 732 Old 10-21-2010, 10:15 AM

purchase it on 10/17 at BB

Things I love or like about it
Chrome Browser

Apps so far

All the good internet content easily available at my finger tips

Quick Search

That my non techie wife can use it without asking me a lot of questions or causing frustration

The controller and it's Built-in mouse. It's not perfect but it does the job

The "What On" feature

How it seems to integrate with my DVR even though I don't have Dish TV

How it easily lets me pull TV shows(not a lot of clicking) that I didn't or couldn't record on my DVR(time conflicts and such) and is not available on On-Demand.

It has a just works feeling, not quite as good as Apple devices but close

Things I don't like
Does not passthrough video when off.

Does not passthrough 5.1 from DVR.

Does not smartly scaled DVR SD content. My TV would always scale the SD content so that it filled the screen but did not overstretch so you wouldn't lose scrolling bars at the bottom and such. Now it doesn't do this and no combination of scaling options between DVR,GTV and TV correct the issue. At its best now I sometime fill the screen with SD content.

No app or instructions of mapping of DVR remote to it's remote. It would be great if you could press a button and it would show you on screen the mapping.

Things I would like for it to have
Android Market

3D, hey they did it for the PS3, and its hardware 1.3 HDMI from 2006

Video Passthrough when off

5.1 passthrough from DVR

Ipod/Ipad controller app

Overall I love the device. It along with Apple TV, represents the true convergence between the Internet and TV. Its been a long time coming and will take many years to perfect, but as a start its very good.

In the meantime, to overcome some of the shortcoming on the scaling and passthrough issue, I have ordered a powered HDMI splitter so I can switch between direct DVR to TV, and GTV, when I want. In this setup its like using it as a regular Blu-ray player when I only want to use my DVR.

Setup
FIOS TV
Sony 60EX700
Wireless G
post #194 of 732 Old 10-21-2010, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member

To answer some of your questions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyevin View Post

i picked this thing up last night a have spent roughly an hour playing around with it.
my main reasons for picking this up were blu-ray/dvd, netflix and local content streaming in one box.

i currently just have it hooked up directly to my tv with no cable box integration but will be testing with my SA 8240HDC this weekend.

thoughts: blu-ray
the first thing i'm not sure i can live with is the blu-ray player does not remember it's place on a disc when powered off or when switching back to the home screen/another function. i have 10 yr old dvd players that can remember where it was when i power them off or change settings/functions - i'm still amazed when a product released today does not have this ability.

This is not Sony specific. Just about all Blu-Ray players are like this. What you need to do is set a bookmark(not sure how to yet on this machine tho) and then if you wanna go back, pull up a list of bookmarks and goto it.

Quote:

thoughts: general
the chrome browser does not have an address bar, does not allow extensions or syncing and has minimal adjustment of settings. very stripped down compared to the version available for pc's

Press the search button on the remote for an address bar. I believe there are some options if you press and hold the Home button on the remote while in Chrome. I have not tried this personally yet, as I just read about it elsewhere.

Quote:

personally i feel the interface is weak. i've been using android since the G1 phone, am currently using a samsung vibrant and love the platform but this just feels like android lite to me. not blown away with any of the interfacing and lack of adjustments and ability to customize.

While I won't say it's weak, I do agree with you that it needs more custizability. For instance with the TV windowed, I would like to move that but it won't let me. There are things for a custom "shelf". You can add it by editing the main home menu and pressing the + button on screen. This will also allow you to add the Amazon VOD pieces to the menu as well as add a custom shelf.

Quote:

as far as the remote is concerned - once i get it hooked up to my main setup with my cable box and receiver i may change my mind though based on lack of universal control. actually using the remote i have no issues with however.

This is my main beef with the system... a TWO handed remote. I want something I can use with one hand to move thru the menus and everything else but typing. With this, buttons are poorly places, small and it's not backlit. There needs to be a way to allow peope to use their existing universals with the system. I'm hoping a 3rd party develops an IR to RF converter for this thing.

Also, if they expect us to use their remote then why in the heck isn't it a LEARNING remote. I don't expect Sony to be able to cover all the bases with regard to equipment thus why it should have been a learning remote.

Quote:

android apps. yea i knew there wouldn't be any until 2011, not a huge deal but it will be interesting to see what shows up.

Yea, but I am a bit miffed as to why won't be anything until the Spring of next year. Seems WAY too long to me. They should have been more prepared on this front.

Quote:

as of today i doubt i'll be keeping the player as it just doesn't work they way i need it to in order to fulfill my requirements. if i can get streaming working consistently, added file support showed up and a fix was pushed out for the blu-ray player saving it's position on the disc i could probably overlook some of the more trivial issues hoping updates to the OS kept coming.

To be honest, if this were in my main viewing room, it would be going back because of the lack of Universal remote support. That would be a killer for me and I would think others as well. But since it is in the bedroom currently, I may just stick it out and hope that the 3rd party vendors start pumping out better remotes and such.

To techiegeek:

I had the scaling issue too with SD content with my HR20 Directv HD DVR. The ONLY way I could get it to fill the screen was to set an option in the HR20 DVR to stretch SD content. No amount of other setting did the trick.

Also we have been informed by a Google TV product manager via a post on this thread that Sony is currently working on a patch so that 5.1 will be passed thru from a connected device to the output device.
post #195 of 732 Old 10-21-2010, 10:40 AM

Quote:

To answer some of your questions...

This is not Sony specific. Just about all Blu-Ray players are like this. What you need to do is set a bookmark(not sure how to yet on this machine tho) and then if you wanna go back, pull up a list of bookmarks and goto it.

yea i just noticed that some of the discs i have, have bookmarking ability and others don't. this appears to be an authoring thing and not a player thing then? i don't see any bookmarking option within the player itself.

Quote:

Press the search button on the remote for an address bar. I believe there are some options if you press and hold the Home button on the remote while in Chrome. I have not tried this personally yet, as I just read about it elsewhere.

thanks for that - i'll check it out!

Quote:

While I won't say it's weak, I do agree with you that it needs more custizability. For instance with the TV windowed, I would like to move that but it won't let me. There are things for a custom "shelf". You can add it by editing the main home menu and pressing the + button on screen. This will also allow you to add the Amazon VOD pieces to the menu as well as add a custom shelf.

yea i messed with the shelf setup but the interface is still just not where i was hoping it would be.

Quote:

This is my main beef with the system... a TWO handed remote. I want something I can use with one hand to move thru the menus and everything else but typing. With this, buttons are poorly places, small and it's not backlit. There needs to be a way to allow peope to use their existing universals with the system. I'm hoping a 3rd party develops an IR to RF converter for this thing.

Also, if they expect us to use their remote then why in the heck isn't it a LEARNING remote. I don't expect Sony to be able to cover all the bases with regard to equipment thus why it should have been a learning remote.

To be honest, if this were in my main viewing room, it would be going back because of the lack of Universal remote support. That would be a killer for me and I would think others as well. But since it is in the bedroom currently, I may just stick it out and hope that the 3rd party vendors start pumping out better remotes and such.

i agree somewhat. for my main setup yes, for my bedroom setup it's fine as is
post #196 of 732 Old 10-21-2010, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

yea i just noticed that some of the discs i have, have bookmarking ability and others don't. this appears to be an authoring thing and not a player thing then? i don't see any bookmarking option within the player itself.

Try pressing the Blue button on the Remote while watching something. If it's not blue, then it might be another color, but it's usually one of the colored keys that does it.
post #197 of 732 Old 10-21-2010, 11:11 AM

Going to pickup the Logitech Revue on the way home today. I like the Sony, and I'm using it in my living room where I don't have a complicated setup. Biggest issue for me is that the remote isn't a learning remote and my cable box makes use of a few buttons that the Sony doesn't seem to support.

In my office/TV room I have a more complicated setup. and I use a Logitech 1100, looking to have the Logitech replace my Mac Mini running Plex.
post #198 of 732 Old 10-21-2010, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by almazza View Post

Going to pickup the Logitech Revue on the way home today. I like the Sony, and I'm using it in my living room where I don't have a complicated setup. Biggest issue for me is that the remote isn't a learning remote and my cable box makes use of a few buttons that the Sony doesn't seem to support.

In my office/TV room I have a more complicated setup. and I use a Logitech 1100, looking to have the Logitech replace my Mac Mini running Plex.

Let us know how the swap works out for you. I'm curious if the tradeoffs are minimized by the added Harmony integration you will gain.
post #199 of 732 Old 10-21-2010, 11:46 AM

Quote:

For all the ways Google has tried to integrate everything together, I feel as tho Sony and even Logitech(for going RF and not including an way to receive IR commands) have almost DE-integrated things by not allowing the use of ones existing universal remote(unless you have an RF Logitech).

VERY shortsighted thinking.

Hey Chuck - the Logitech Revue does have an ir receiver integrated with the unit. i.e. it will work will ALL Harmony remotes - ir or RF.

Another cool thing about the Revue is that the ir receiver is "under the hood" with additional ir blasters. So you would only need to use the 1 or 2 ir blasters hanging off the back of the device for hard to reach components.

I really wanted the Blu-ray playback and expanded storage of the NSZ-GT1, but the better control options of the Revue & "cleaner" setup if you don't need the blasters hanging off the back make it hard to deny.
post #200 of 732 Old 10-21-2010, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_gmo View Post

Can I use the logitech keyboard or mini remote to control the SONY NSZGT1??? Has anyone tried this?

Yes. The Logitech keyboard & mini controller will work with the Sony NSZ-GT1 by way of an included usb receiver.
post #201 of 732 Old 10-21-2010, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm9843 View Post

Hey Chuck - the Logitech Revue does have an ir receiver integrated with the unit. i.e. it will work will ALL Harmony remotes - ir or RF.

Another cool thing about the Revue is that the ir receiver is "under the hood" with additional ir blasters. So you would only need to use the 1 or 2 ir blasters hanging off the back of the device for hard to reach components.

I really wanted the Blu-ray playback and expanded storage of the NSZ-GT1, but the better control options of the Revue & "cleaner" setup if you don't need the blasters hanging off the back make it hard to deny.

Nice, it's very temping at this point to switch. Quick question, does the Revue suffer the same issue with the not passing DD5.1 from say a Directv receiver onto the audio receiver?
post #202 of 732 Old 10-21-2010, 11:53 AM
gvc
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupismaximus View Post

We have the Sony BR Remote also on the Ipod Touch, same app as on a IPhone 3G/3Gs/4, and it also does not support the Sony NSZ-GT1 device.

I wish it did, but supposedly there are some more Android remotes releasing soon that will support the Revue, and hopefully do something with the Sony Unit. The Sony Unit seems to only accept RF signals, so this also might be a mute point.

Take a look at the Google TV site below, under Remote tab, to view a pic of this app running on an Android HTC Evo.

http://www.google.com/tv/

android logitech revue remote app:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/10/21/r...ndroid-market/

hopefully sony iphone app soon?
post #203 of 732 Old 10-21-2010, 02:01 PM

So after playing with this, here's my thoughts.

As i said before the no 5.1 sucks, and they have to get it fixed.

I wish there was a way to just type a web address in a address bar. So far typing an address in the search bar takes me to the search page, not what I want. I also wish there was a forward button, because too many times I've hit the back button and then have to find the link i clicked on to go forward again. I wish there was a way to switch tabs, but I can't find it. I can see to open a new tab, and close tab takes me to the previous tab, but I can't find how to see and switch between tabs.

Hulu can bite me. There's no way I'm paying for the plus subscription assuming they get it worked out with an app.

Dish can also bite me. I'm not paying 4 or 5 bucks a month so this thing can search Dish Cinema's lineup so i can pay them more to rent it.

Crackle is actually pretty good. Sucks there's so many ads but there's actually some good movies on it: Ghost Busters, La Bamba, Dracula.

Pandora is cool, but I mainly listen to slacker, and i can see no way to sign in with the slacker app. I haven't tried going to the website though. I'll just use Pandora. It sucks that it keeps playing if you leave pandora, you have to go back in and pause. I've also noticed Pandora is very loud. I have to turn down the volume on my receiver when playing pandora. Everything from TV to streaming movies is the same volume, but pandora is very loud.

I stopped by best buy and looked at the Revue, and boy is that remote keyboard thing HUGE, I can't imagine where i'd put it. They should have bundled the mini controller because it's pretty darn expensive to buy as an addon. I'm actually pretty happy with the sony controller, though I wish i could use my harmony remote to control the box, even if just for the blu ray. The trackpad on the sony remote sucks. I haven't found a good calibration for it, it either takes too much movement to move the cursor, or it just zooms across the screen with the slightest movement. If developers make apps that require the cursor, it's doomed. Maybe an iphone/android remote would help with that.

I haven't figured out why it can't play some videos from my PC with tversity, i'll have to investigate the formats, but so far the only thing it hasn't' been able to play is my wedding video ripped from my camcorder. I'd like it to be able to search videos on my PC.

Some things i'd like to see developers work on: a Weather app, Facebook, sport scores, fantasy football ticker, e-mail app. An IMDB app that can lookup what you're currently watching would be useful. Better streaming from PC, perhaps better integrated and not some crappy media player app.
post #204 of 732 Old 10-21-2010, 02:06 PM

Quote:

Quick question, does the Revue suffer the same issue with the not passing DD5.1 from say a Directv receiver onto the audio receiver?

My Revue is currently en route so I wasn't able to answer this myself but I finally got confirmation from someone on the Logitech Product team.

Quote:
Hi,

Revue can receive either PCM Stereo or AC3 5.1 from an HDMI input source. Assuming Revue is connected to an AVR and the AVR is configured correctly (this changes from brand to brand), Revue, can output following audio formats.

HDMI HDMI
(PCM/AC-3 5.1) Source Device ----> Revue ----> AVR - Either PCM Stereo and PCM 7.1/5.1 are output

HDMI SPDIF
(PCM/AC-3 5.1)Source Device ----> Revue ----> AVR - Either PCM Stereo and AC-3 5.1 are output
Revue always mixes incoming audio with internal audio sounds, even in cases where you are using a supported audio modes (see above), Revue will never pass the Audio as is (untouched) to the AVR.
Regards,
Omar

Definitely an improvement over the Sony device and it will work flawlessly with probably 99% of the configurations out there. It's too bad that it won't decode and/or pass-through DTS or the HD audio formats, but that's such a low usage scenario that I think they get a pass.

A simple HDMI splitter could be used (one output to the GTV, one output to the avr) for the instances where you want to bitstream HD audio from your source device.
post #205 of 732 Old 10-21-2010, 02:28 PM

Quote:

Try pressing the Blue button on the Remote while watching something. If it's not blue, then it might be another color, but it's usually one of the colored keys that does it.

well i've tried every button on the remote and none of them are bookmarking. looks like that functionality is not present.
post #206 of 732 Old 10-21-2010, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psuJC View Post

I haven't figured out why it can't play some videos from my PC with tversity, i'll have to investigate the formats, but so far the only thing it hasn't' been able to play is my wedding video ripped from my camcorder. I'd like it to be able to search videos on my PC.

have you had any issues with the device making the connection with tversity? mine is hit and miss at best. currently set up with wireless g but tested with wired and it still only picks up the server every 1 in 20 attempts or so.
post #207 of 732 Old 10-21-2010, 03:21 PM

Quote:

have you had any issues with the device making the connection with tversity? mine is hit and miss at best. currently set up with wireless g but tested with wired and it still only picks up the server every 1 in 20 attempts or so.

I've watched 4 shows through it, and it worked each and every time. Upon opening Media player, it takes about 5 seconds for it to find my PC and Home Server, but then it's fine. It does take a couple seconds once I start playing to get it loaded, it's a little laggy at first, but after a minute or so i can fast forward through it no problem. I also like that it remembers where I was when watching something though the media player. I wish it'd work with fat32 and ntfs drives, it'd make things a bit easier.
post #208 of 732 Old 10-21-2010, 04:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by techiegeek View Post

purchase it on 10/17 at BB

Things I love or like about it

All the good internet content easily available at my finger tips

Quick Search

That my non techie wife can use it without asking me a lot of questions or causing frustration

So are you saying the interface is intuitive and easy to understand?

If a carpenter makes a door he should get money every time someone uses it - he's also an "artist".
post #209 of 732 Old 10-21-2010, 06:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Uh oh...
http://www.engadget.com/2010/10/21/t...web-based-con/

"You may be able to watch The Office on your Google TV, but perhaps not on demand -- ABC, CBS and NBC are barring Sony and Logitech's web-infused TVs and set-top-boxes from accessing full episodes of streaming video content. The Wall Street Journal reports that all three networks have confirmed the ban, and that Fox hasn't yet reached a decision on whether it will ban Google TV as well. For its part, Google says that it's "ultimately the content owners' choice to restrict their fans from accessing their content on the platform," so don't expect the search company to pitch in, unless it can work out some premium arrangements for all parties involved. This is the part where we'd normally direct you to the simple browser tweak that made Hulu accessible when it pulled the very same stunt, but alas, we're finding Hulu too is once again blocked."
post #210 of 732 Old 10-21-2010, 06:13 PM

Ok, just hooked up my Revue. If you can get past the largish keyboard, you have much more control. I'll get to play with it more later, but setup was easy. As far as Audio goes, on my receiver I am seeing 7.1 multichannel audio for what's usually DD sources from my cable box. So it looks like the Logitech is processing the DD stream and sending PCM over the HDMI port. Have to read back through the thread, but I think someone posted about this.

Next up is getting my Logitech 1100 to control this. I think the Sony is going back tomorrow. The logitech just suits my needs better.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Sony Nsz Gt1 Wi Fi Enabled Blu Ray Disc Player , Sony Bdp S770 3d Blu Ray Disc Player With Wi Fi , Sony Bdp S570 3d Blu Ray Disc Player , Sony Bdp S470 3d Blu Ray Disc Player , Sony Bdp S370 Blu Ray Disc Player
Gear in this thread - S570 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page