Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
up for pre order now at Sony Style, and in stores in the next couple weeks

$399

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...ature_DualView

very unique looking player with apps+streaming. Not a bad price considering Sony's other players are only $100 less.

who's going to bite?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 729 Old 10-12-2010, 09:57 PM

Liked: 10
If you like movies in high-def, this is definitely a nice setup. I don't do blu-ray so I went the Logitech Revue route instead, which does everything the Sony one does except the blueray, and I like the Revue keyboard better than the Sony one, at least based on looks and perceived functionality.
post #3 of 729 Old 10-13-2010, 04:36 AM
Advanced Member

I'm severely tempted, but I'm willing to wait until its available in an all black case. Hopefully that doesn't take forever to arrive.

Built a new home, now filling it with sights and sounds!
post #4 of 729 Old 10-13-2010, 08:43 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by DasRaven View Post

I'm severely tempted, but I'm willing to wait until its available in an all black case. Hopefully that doesn't take forever to arrive.

+1. I was about ready to hand over my credit card information until I saw the pictures posted in the first post... if they just get a design out that looks similar to the BDP-S770 (or just about any "standard" design source component), I'm there. Depending on quality/performance of the GT1, I may buy it anyway.

The slot loading BD-ROM drive rather than tray loading is also a dealbreaker to me.
post #5 of 729 Old 10-13-2010, 08:56 AM

I can't see any indication that this thing will play 3D Blu-ray. If it does not it would not be a deal breaker for me as I don't plan to adopt 3D anytime soon but it would be lame considering they have a $150 player that does.
post #6 of 729 Old 10-13-2010, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luigionlsd View Post

The slot loading BD-ROM drive rather than tray loading is also a dealbreaker to me.

Why do you prefer a tray-loading drive over a slot-loading one?

I have the Logitech Revue on pre-order but am seriously contemplating the NSZ-GT1 instead. Having Blu-ray playback integrated with a DVR and all that Google TV has to offer is a pretty compelling package. Also, the Sony player has double the internal storage of the Revue for future app installs (8 gb versus 4 gb).

One unanswered question I have is whether any of these devices will be able to pass bitstreamed HD audio from the HDMI-in to the HDMI-out to an avr for processing. I'd hope that they would pass the audio on the HDMI-in untouched to the receiver.

The Logitech Revue specs list under HDMI input: "1080p/60fps, 1.3a w/ CEC"
The Sony Blu-ray lists under HDMI Audio Input Signals: "LPCM 2ch : Yes (Up to 48kHz)" <- Not sure what they're getting at here.

I may have to get my hands on both to decide which to keep...
post #7 of 729 Old 10-13-2010, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

post #8 of 729 Old 10-13-2010, 02:57 PM

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starkenator View Post

I can't see any indication that this thing will play 3D Blu-ray. If it does not it would not be a deal breaker for me as I don't plan to adopt 3D anytime soon but it would be lame considering they have a $150 player that does.

I read that they will be adding 3D along with dlna and other things soon.

Klipsch RF-7II(2)
Klipsch RC-64II
Klipsch RS-62II(2)
Klipsch Cornwalls(2)
Velodyne HGS-15
HSU VTF-15H
Marantz AV8801
Emotiva XPA-5
Emotiva XPA-3(2)
OPPO BDP-103
JVC DLA-X3 (121" screen)
post #9 of 729 Old 10-13-2010, 05:04 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by luigionlsd View Post

+1. I was about ready to hand over my credit card information until I saw the pictures posted in the first post... if they just get a design out that looks similar to the BDP-S770 (or just about any "standard" design source component), I'm there. Depending on quality/performance of the GT1, I may buy it anyway.

really?

I wish all players had this. Sleeker, sexy, and faster
post #10 of 729 Old 10-13-2010, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by promike View Post

I read that they will be adding 3D along with dlna and other things soon.

Source? 3D is the only glaring omission as far as I'm concerned, so I'm hoping that they do a firmware update to include it later.
post #11 of 729 Old 10-13-2010, 08:10 PM

To anyone interested in the prospect, I got confirmation from a Logitech rep that the Revue Mini Controller is compatible with the Sony Google TV offerings, including this Blu-ray player. Just in case the Sony controller isn't your cup o' tea.

Source.

post #12 of 729 Old 10-13-2010, 08:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm9843 View Post

To anyone interested in the prospect, I got confirmation from a Logitech rep that the Revue Mini Controller is compatible with the Sony Google TV offerings, including this Blu-ray player. Just in case the Sony controller isn't your cup o' tea.

Source.

http://www.logitech.com/assets/33335...controller.png

Sweet. My last major concern remedied. Once I see how well it handles controlling a Cisco DVR, I'm in for sure. I've decided that the white isn't so bad .

Built a new home, now filling it with sights and sounds!
post #13 of 729 Old 10-14-2010, 04:43 AM

This device definitely caught my eye, since it has the integrated Blu Ray. the standard Logitech device is nice, but the $100 dollar included BR takes this device to the next step.

I almost pulled the trigger on a BDP-s770 (BR 3D & HDMI 1.4a), but I am now contemplating the GT1. I have read the previous posts with speculation around 3D. As many of you, my concern is if they will support 3D in the future and be able to turn it on via a Firmware upgrade. This would be similar to what Sony has done with the BDP-S570/470/370 BR players and the PS3.

The last few questions I would like to understand before I take the plunge are the following. First, what version of HDMI does it have? I would assume it is 1.3, but I hope that is has HDMI 1.4a, so we can take advantage of HDMI Ethernet Channel and Audio Return Channel. ARC not so important, but the Ethernet Channel is nice to have, and 1.4a would ensure that they would provide 3D in the future.

Next, does anyone know if Google has gotten any closer to adding Hulu to this offering? Sony has this locked this feature in with other newer devices, but Google needs to work this out with Hulu. There is a lot of speculation, but nothing for sure yet.This will allow a lot of potential users, like myself, to be able to drop their HTPC.

Finally, it would be great if they included a DVR interface that would allow you to record shows on an external DLNA storage device. This is like what Microsoft Media Center allows, and it would be great if Google did something similar. Dish integration is great if you are a Dish customer, but with all the recent legal battles that Dish is going through, I would never get service from them. I am sure Dish has an exclusivity with Google for some time, but if not, then Google needs to open this up to Direct-TV and Comcast. If all else fails, open up the codec support and provide meta data/cover art for recorded programs I can view form a DNLA device. This will allow me to record what I want, while providing a nice look and information dump as a scroll through the recordings.

A couple of things I noticed that I feel they missed the mark is not integrating USB 3.0, Bluetooth 3.0, and IP Content Noise reduction. Oh well, I guess we can always wish for this in generation 2 of the product.

Regardless, this is a great product and I will probably pick one up, although I would like to see it in an all black case and for $50 dollars cheaper.
post #14 of 729 Old 10-14-2010, 04:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr stroke View Post

up for pre order now at Sony Style, and in stores in the next couple weeks

$399

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...ature_DualView

very unique looking player with apps+streaming. Not a bad price considering Sony's other players are only $100 less.

who's going to bite?

I am definitely getting one to replace my current HTPC. This does exactly what I need. I actually prefer this key board over the logitech. I already have an Apple TV since I like to rent new movies from iTunes and am looking forward to the airplay feature.
post #15 of 729 Old 10-14-2010, 05:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm9843 View Post

Source.

I've had 2 Di Novo mini keyboards - which is the same as their Mini Google TV controller. They are very very flimsy and break easily. I would never buy another based on my experience...
post #16 of 729 Old 10-14-2010, 08:44 PM

I have onw on order. I can do a mini review and answer questions when it comes in.

This shouldnt have any problems controlling cable dvrs. Most cable companies have android apps to control the dvr plus the google tv stuff is hdmi cec compatible. The bluray player even comes with two ir blasters. So the only real thing needed is for the guide to be integrated with the dvr.

Anyway i can answer questions once my unit arrives
post #17 of 729 Old 10-15-2010, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majortom1981 View Post

I have onw on order. I can do a mini review and answer questions when it comes in.

Looking forward to your impressions.

Also, seems that the online help has gone live for this just a bit ago:

http://esupport.sony.com/docs/btv/nsz/index.html
post #18 of 729 Old 10-15-2010, 07:26 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 14
does anyone think all these futures will never be available on a PS3?
post #19 of 729 Old 10-15-2010, 08:15 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
i haven't seen this asked anywhere or been able to confirm with any of sony's documentation: will this be able to use a wireless network adapter in place of the wired ethernet?

also interested to see how loud that fan is. thing looks huge back there.

edit: just saw the online help guide post - it says wireless. must have missed that in the specs.

post #20 of 729 Old 10-15-2010, 10:09 AM

Anyone know if Best Buy is picking this up? I have gift cards and reward zone points that I can use towards this.

Thanks
post #21 of 729 Old 10-15-2010, 10:12 AM

Disregard, just found out it is!! Definitely going to give this player a try.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Electron...00050001&h=387
post #22 of 729 Old 10-15-2010, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnrok23 View Post

does anyone think all these futures will never be available on a PS3?

Not without (another) hardware revision. The PS3 lacks an HDMI-in port which is, for the time being, a requirement of the Google TV platform.
post #23 of 729 Old 10-15-2010, 11:22 AM

Best Buy will sell this on 10/25 in store. You can order it now.

Sony Style releases this unit tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by acidzerocool View Post

Anyone know if Best Buy is picking this up? I have gift cards and reward zone points that I can use towards this.

Thanks

post #24 of 729 Old 10-15-2010, 11:28 AM

I would imagine that the PS3 will never have the Google TV features. I state this because the Google TV is not a Sony product and both devices target different markets. Sure a ton of people use thier PS3 as a media hub, but its real purpose is for gaming with some media features. The new line of x70 BR players from Sony are also filling this media hub niche, but with more internet content to choose from. The only difference the BR adds is more internet apps/ widgets, quieter unit, faster start up times, and cell phone remote app.

The new Sony Goolgle TV BR player is trying to compete with the Apple TV, Roku, PopCorn Hour, and WMC7 based devices. Sure the cost is outrages compared to those devices today, but I am sure in the next 6-12 months more functionality will be provided into these units. The PS3 has more than enough horsepower, but it not intended to serve as the same type of device.

This is my opinion, but think of it this way. If they put this on a PS3, it would be whole new hardware, and it would cost you $500-600 dollars for the unit. Sony needs to pay the licensing fee to Google some way and they will not give it away for free!
post #25 of 729 Old 10-15-2010, 11:36 AM

I see you figured out the Wireless question. Just in case, yes you can use either or. If wireless only use 802.11N. If possible use ethernet lan cable connection, so you can ensure you get the best bandwidth possible. This is really important for streaming apps like Netflix.

Don't worry about the fan. Just because it is big it doesn't mean that it is louder.

Usually, the larger the fan, the quieter it is. Look at new gaming computer cases which have a huge fan on them. Those push more air, thus not needed to spin faster as a smaller fan would. the better question to ask is what type of temperature control do they use. Is is a dumb switch, or does it have more intelligence. If it uses technology like what was on the original PS3s, then we are in trouble, but I think they are smarter than that, and are using similar and more efficient technology like on the slim PS3..

One last thing regarding your diagram. Most cable boxes don't need connectivity to your access point/ cable modem. They get all meta data information over the actual coaxial cable. The cable or satellite HDMI output cable will plug directly into the Sony device, so you can view and surf the different channels. The internet is used for all internet based applications (Netflix, twitter, Cnbc, NBA, web surfing), but doesn't have anything to do with the cable box beyond provide TV scheduling information.

I hope this helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyevin View Post

i haven't seen this asked anywhere or been able to confirm with any of sony's documentation: will this be able to use a wireless network adapter in place of the wired ethernet?

also interested to see how loud that fan is. thing looks huge back there.

edit: just saw the online help guide post - it says wireless. must have missed that in the specs.

post #26 of 729 Old 10-15-2010, 12:34 PM

what's with the external power brick. Why can't they integrate it inside the unit ?
post #27 of 729 Old 10-15-2010, 01:40 PM

Usually heat?
post #28 of 729 Old 10-16-2010, 07:53 AM

I am so tempted to place a preorder but 2 things are keeping me from pulling the trigger.

Does it support the same file types as the Logitech Revue?
Is the blu-ray video/audio quality and the SD DVD upconversion at least on par with the PS3 (my current blu-ray player)?
post #29 of 729 Old 10-16-2010, 08:39 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremyd5 View Post

I am so tempted to place a preorder but 2 things are keeping me from pulling the trigger.

Does it support the same file types as the Logitech Revue?
Is the blu-ray video/audio quality and the SD DVD upconversion at least on par with the PS3 (my current blu-ray player)?

i haven't seen a complete list of file types the sony will play but i don't think it's as extensive as the logitech. there is always the hope that once apps are available there will be one that can support all if not most of the common file types being used today. there are already a few for the android phones so seeing something for these devices is likely.

no idea on image quality - prob have to wait for reviews on that one.
post #30 of 729 Old 10-16-2010, 08:58 AM

I think BB has a 30 day return policy on electronics so I think I'll go ahead and buy one and if I don't like it I'll exchange it for the Revue.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Sony Nsz Gt1 Wi Fi Enabled Blu Ray Disc Player , Sony Bdp S770 3d Blu Ray Disc Player With Wi Fi , Sony Bdp S570 3d Blu Ray Disc Player , Sony Bdp S470 3d Blu Ray Disc Player , Sony Bdp S370 Blu Ray Disc Player
Gear in this thread - S570 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page