The Official Sharp BD-HP24U Owner's Thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 38 Old 10-13-2010, 12:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sooooo.....We're all settled in to watch a flick (Iron Man 2) tonight and it just won't work. Firmware was out of date, so I updated it. Still no luck. Sent the disc back to NetFlix and the replacement behaved exactly the same way.

Anyone else having this problem?

Anything else I need to try?

My other Blu-Ray discs play fine before and after the firmware update.

Richard Gautier

"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you always got."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 Old 10-13-2010, 12:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Richard;

Thanks for starting an owner's thread for this model.

Ron

"Retired" AVS Moderator
post #3 of 38 Old 10-15-2010, 01:24 PM - Thread Starter

No problem, Ron.

Update: An e-mail to Sharp Customer Service yielded a prompt e-mail response that suggested I CALL them (I like that!). After navigating the requisite automated menu choices I speak to a friendly and knowledgeable Customer Service Rep who suggests I do a "hard" reset by holding the power button until "reset" appears on the screen. She said if that didn't resolve the problem to call back and there were a couple of other things we could try. I was on the road when I spoke to them but when I got back home, the "hard" reset didn't fix the problem.

So I call back and get a different (but equally friendly and knowledgeable) CSR who guides me through the menu to the "System" menu and another "reset" option. I reset it this way and "bingo!" The disc started playing like it should.

A big "thumbs up" to Sharp Customer Service on their handling of a problem with what is admitedly an entry level player!

Richard Gautier

"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you always got."
post #4 of 38 Old 11-03-2010, 08:16 AM
Jze

I just got my bd-hp24u(a) from Sears, but I actually ordered the bd-hp24u. I reviewed the differences between the models from the manual and here is what I found
  • bd-hp24u has cable clip for HDMI on the back, bd-hp24u(a) doesn't
  • bd-hp24u can read RSS text feeds, bd-hp24u(a) doesn't
  • bd-hp24u(a) shows DVD-RW recorded shows as a list, bd-hp24u shows it as boxes (who records tv to DVD-RW anyway?)
  • bd-hp24u(a) uses 15 W active, bd-hp24u uses 14 W (higher power laser?)
  • bd-hp24u(a) uses 0.3 W stand-by, bd-hp24u uses 0.4 W
  • bd-hp24u has a "Quick Start option" bd-hp24u(a) does not (breaks Energy Star Requirements)
  • bd-hp24u has settings for language and region, strange because the manual still has disc compatibility as A (BD), 1 (DVD) and ALL. Bd-hp24u(a) has the same. Some people report bd-hp24u as region free, not sure about that esp. if they based it off the region and language setting vs the disk compatibility section of the manual

All-in-all the changes were so minor that it does not warrant me returning the box (I paid $74 total), since I don't care about RSS feeds or cable clip.

Netflix streams great and I believe I get HD streaming, looks like HD (unfortunately there is no indicator).

Only complaint so far is that the drive "sings" (high frequency spin sound) a bit, I'll try a few disks to see how it goes.

Edit : I've tried two more disks and no "singing", I guess it was the first blu-ray disk that caused the issue

DVD upscaling is sometimes better and sometimes worse than Xbox 360. So its not great in that category. I didn't really buy it for that, but here for completeness.

So far I'm very happy with this player.

Hope this information is helpful for others

Jze
post #5 of 38 Old 11-07-2010, 06:25 PM

I also just purchased this model BD-HP24U(A) from Sears. I am having trouble with it, though. If I have the ethernet cord plugged in, then none of my Blu-ray discs load (forever black screen, time on front of unit stuck at 00:00:00, no response to any buttons), and I get an error when I try to run Netflix: "Failed to connect to Internet."

When I unplug the ethernet, Blu-ray discs run fine, but obviously I won't be able to update firmware to ensure future discs will work, and I won't be able to use Netflix.

Any ideas?
post #6 of 38 Old 11-10-2010, 02:07 PM
Jze

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMan2k7 View Post

I also just purchased this model BD-HP24U(A) from Sears. I am having trouble with it, though. If I have the ethernet cord plugged in, then none of my Blu-ray discs load (forever black screen, time on front of unit stuck at 00:00:00, no response to any buttons), and I get an error when I try to run Netflix: "Failed to connect to Internet."

When I unplug the ethernet, Blu-ray discs run fine, but obviously I won't be able to update firmware to ensure future discs will work, and I won't be able to use Netflix.

Any ideas?

The problem seems related to the ethernet. Make sure the ethernet cable is not damaged, a crossover cable or on gigabit network only. I have mine on 100Mbs network on a CAT5e cable. Make sure the cable is rated for the speed you use. Try another cable, check all connections.

I plugged the network cable BEFORE booting the player the first time. I had DHCP and it worked directly out of the box. Try unplugging the player and starting it up while connected. Is your player behind a proxy server?

EDIT: I experimented with my firewall last night and when I tightened security on the firewall, my player also refused to connect to the internet. Tonight I will try and have tighter security and uPNP enabled on the firewall tonight or find out if I can make an exception. Of course the easiest would just to add the MAC of the player to a DMZ (de-militarized zone), which means the firewall just passes all traffic from the player. I might do that, since I don't think hackers will be interested in the content of my Blu-Ray player

EDIT: Watching the firewall log I found the issue. The player tries to ping the Netflix server first, my firewall blocks ICMP. Solution is to watch the firewall log and add exceptions for the protocols it tries to use. I did a more crude solution. I solved this by allowing all outbound traffic from the player after I gave it a fixed IP address. Now I can have high security on my firewall again

BTW. There hasn't been an update yet for BD-HP24U(A). You can update with USB flash drive, but don't update with the BD-HP24U firmware (huge warnings on their website that its not for BD-HP24U(A)). I've tried 3 Blu-Rays so far and they all worked great!
post #7 of 38 Old 11-16-2010, 11:30 AM

Liked: 11
I recently purchased two of these players on sale from two local Sears stores. I got the BD-HP24U from one store and the BD-HP24U(A) from another. So far I've unboxed the BD-HP24U and have played several blu-ray disks on it and am impressed with the picture quality. I especially liked that the remote worked out the box with the volume setting on my Pioneer receiver; not the case with the remote supplied with my new Aquos LCD tv when connected to the same Pioneer receiver. The blu-ray disk for Robin Hood did take a long time to load though. When I have time, I may see if the quick start feature in the BD-HP24U(A) loads the disk quicker. The Netflix streaming works very well also. Check out "IP Man" for some serious kung fu action if you haven't seen it already.
post #8 of 38 Old 11-19-2010, 06:16 PM
Jze

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwatavs View Post

I recently purchased two of these players on sale from two local Sears stores. I got the BD-HP24U from one store and the BD-HP24U(A) from another. So far I've unboxed the BD-HP24U and have played several blu-ray disks on it and am impressed with the picture quality. I especially liked that the remote worked out the box with the volume setting on my Pioneer receiver; not the case with the remote supplied with my new Aquos LCD tv when connected to the same Pioneer receiver. The blu-ray disk for Robin Hood did take a long time to load though. When I have time, I may see if the quick start feature in the BD-HP24U(A) loads the disk quicker. The Netflix streaming works very well also. Check out "IP Man" for some serious kung fu action if you haven't seen it already.

BD-HP24U has quickstart not BD-HP24U(A). Can you test to see if the BD-HP24U is really region free?

Quickstart I believe this is limited to the device startup, not disk loading. Again let me know if I'm wrong. My device takes about 10-15 seconds to start up. Disk loading on the ohter hand depends a lot on the disk as I realized tonight.

I just started Nanny McPhee tonight and it was the first disk where I thought that either the Netflix disk was bad or the player was hanging. It had a long black screen before the disk started to show anything on the screen (It felt like forever, perhaps it was two minutes). After this long delay it worked fine. Maybe someone can clue us in on why some disks load fast and others take so long
post #9 of 38 Old 11-23-2010, 06:52 PM

I got the 24u(a) version, also from Sears (seems like a lot of people jumped on the deal they had ).
Mine does not play Divx movies, or at least not the one I had handy. Could someone with a 24U version test if it does play Divx? I found one mention online that it might, but the manual does not mention it.
post #10 of 38 Old 11-28-2010, 06:55 AM

My Sharp HP24U blu-ray dvd player has some problems playing some blu-ray dvds. The movie will either not play (black screen) or will play for a while and then start to skip, stutter or the picture and sound move out of sync. This only happens on blu-ray and only some disks. It has happened on fresh out of the box new dvds and older dvds. But not all blu-ray dvds. It has no problem playing non-blu-ray dvds. I have updated the firmware and don't have it connected to the anything but the TV via HDMI. Anyone have a solution to this problem?
post #11 of 38 Old 11-28-2010, 10:21 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpnezamis View Post

My Sharp HP24U blu-ray dvd player has some problems playing some blu-ray dvds. The movie will either not play (black screen) or will play for a while and then start to skip, stutter or the picture and sound move out of sync. This only happens on blu-ray and only some disks. It has happened on fresh out of the box new dvds and older dvds. But not all blu-ray dvds. It has no problem playing non-blu-ray dvds. I have updated the firmware and don't have it connected to the anything but the TV via HDMI. Anyone have a solution to this problem?

I'm "grabbing at straws" but have you tried the two "reset" procedures from post #3 of this thread. Worth a shot....

Richard Gautier

post #12 of 38 Old 12-07-2010, 09:36 AM

Which firmware do you have?
post #13 of 38 Old 12-17-2010, 08:50 AM
Jze

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesternl View Post

I got the 24u(a) version, also from Sears (seems like a lot of people jumped on the deal they had ).
Mine does not play Divx movies, or at least not the one I had handy. Could someone with a 24U version test if it does play Divx? I found one mention online that it might, but the manual does not mention it.

DivX is not supported by these Blu-Ray players.
post #14 of 38 Old 12-17-2010, 08:56 AM
Jze

Quote:

I get this on rental Blu-Rays sometimes, but not on new ones. If you have the HP24U(a) don't update with the firmware for the HP24U! Be aware Blu-Ray is more sensitive to disk smudges than DVD. You may have a bad one, might want to consider returning it. Also check your HDMI cable, I don't think its an issue here, but try another one. I got my cables dirt cheap at monoprice
post #15 of 38 Old 01-07-2011, 09:42 PM

I have the Sharp HP24U blu-ray player. I too was having trouble getting the update. Reading the manual, I went into System and selected reset and still not able to a connection for the update. If still no connection, then you will have to enter the ip address, subnet mask, gateway, primary and secondary dns addresses manually. I got my ip addresses from my router. Once those were typed in, I was then able to update and connect to netflix and watch movies. not too too bad. Hope that helps.
post #16 of 38 Old 01-16-2011, 05:05 PM

I have a new BD-HP24U(A) blu-ray player and I am having a couple of issues with it.

First, in general does this player just seem slow to anyone else? This is my first blu-ray player, so I don't know if this is the norm or not. Some discs seem to take forever to load, and button presses on the remote control seem to come with a 10 second delay before the player responds.

Second, my main issue with this player has to do with the movie "Avatar." I have not had this player for very long, so I haven't been able to try out many movies yet. I have tried a half dozen or so, mostly older titles, and they all seemed to play fine. However, "Avatar" is the newest and latest one I tried, and that movie is giving my player all sorts of troubles. It usually takes 2 or 3 tries to get this movie to play, with long pauses while the screen stays black and the disc drive constantly revving away. I'm talking a good few minutes here. Once the movie does decide to play though, everything else is a crap shoot. If I press "stop" and go back to the main "Sharp" startup menu and try to press "open tray," the system just freezes and becomes totally unresponsive. If I do a hard reset and start the movie again and just try to jump right to a scene (instead of starting from the beginning), the picture flickers and gets pixelated a bit. Sometimes I get the message at startup that my player needs an update for that movie, and other times it starts just fine. It's never consistent. The long and short of it is that "Avatar" is not working for me on that player. Is this happening to anyone else?

I called Sharp customer support and the tech on the line was very polite, but their solutions did not work. The first tech suggested that my firmware was out of date, but when I tried updating over the network on the unit itself it said that there wasn't any updated firmware available. When I went to the Sharp website, there is in fact an updated firmware released in November, but it is for the HP24U model and **NOT** the HP24U(A) model. In fact, it specifically says that the update isn't compatible with the (A) model. When I called the 2nd time they took down the name of the movie and said they'd research it more and if nothing new was on the website in 3 days to call back. I find it hard to believe that certain movies will only sometimes play, and when they do they can bog down a player like this. Has anyone else had these issues?

This is my first blu-ray player, and I've always been loyal to Sharp products but I'm feeling bummed out about this one. The notion that I have to keep getting updates for movies as they're released is just absurd. It's like this isn't a finished product! My Aquos TV is great though... go figure.
post #17 of 38 Old 01-19-2011, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Hi,

My Sharp Bd-HP24U(A) BluRay player also has the same problem. But I am wondering also if the problem is usual : WhenI push either "PAUSE" or "STOP" (once), after a few minutes, the player shuts off (POWER OFF) . Is that normal for that player?

Thanks
post #18 of 38 Old 01-26-2011, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SinistrV6 View Post

No problem, Ron.

Update: An e-mail to Sharp Customer Service yielded a prompt e-mail response that suggested I CALL them (I like that!). After navigating the requisite automated menu choices I speak to a friendly and knowledgeable Customer Service Rep who suggests I do a "hard" reset by holding the power button until "reset" appears on the screen. She said if that didn't resolve the problem to call back and there were a couple of other things we could try. I was on the road when I spoke to them but when I got back home, the "hard" reset didn't fix the problem.

So I call back and get a different (but equally friendly and knowledgeable) CSR who guides me through the menu to the "System" menu and another "reset" option. I reset it this way and "bingo!" The disc started playing like it should.

A big "thumbs up" to Sharp Customer Service on their handling of a problem with what is admitedly an entry level player!

I JUST BOUGHT A SHARP BD-HP24U AND I AM HAVING DIFFICULTY INSATLLING IT. i HAVE A SHARP AQUAS TV AND CONNECTED THE DVD PLAYER TO THE TV VIA AN 4 FOOT HDMI CABLE. THE FIRST PROBLEM IS THAT I CAN NOT SEEM TO GE THE MENU TO DISPLAY ON THE TV SCREEN. i HIT SET UP IN THE REMOTE, HIT MENUE, NOTHING HAPPENS. I MADE SURE THAT THE TV WAS SET FOR INPUT 4 AND THAT BOTH REMOTES RECOGNIZED THAT IPUT WAS TO COME FROM INPUT 4. ANY IDEAS/ I CALLD SHARP, THEY ARE NOT OPEN YET; I E-MAILED THEM YESTERDAY NO REPLY.

aLSO, AND PROBABLY THE BIGGER PROBLEM, WHEN I PUT A DVD DISK INTO PLAY, THE DVD RUNS, BUT I GET NO PICTURE. ANY IDEAS?
post #19 of 38 Old 01-26-2011, 01:32 AM

I JUST BOUGHT A SHARP BD-HP24U AND I AM HAVING DIFFICULTY INSATLLING IT. i HAVE A SHARP AQUAS TV AND CONNECTED THE DVD PLAYER TO THE TV VIA AN 4 FOOT HDMI CABLE. THE FIRST PROBLEM IS THAT I CAN NOT SEEM TO GE THE MENU TO DISPLAY ON THE TV SCREEN. i HIT SET UP IN THE REMOTE, HIT MENUE, NOTHING HAPPENS. I MADE SURE THAT THE TV WAS SET FOR INPUT 4 AND THAT BOTH REMOTES RECOGNIZED THAT IPUT WAS TO COME FROM INPUT 4. ANY IDEAS/ I CALLD SHARP, THEY ARE NOT OPEN YET; I E-MAILED THEM YESTERDAY NO REPLY.

ALSO, AND PROBABLY THE BIGGER PROBLEM, WHEN I PUT A DVD DISK INTO PLAY, THE DVD RUNS, BUT I GET NO PICTURE. ANY IDEAS?
post #20 of 38 Old 01-26-2011, 07:20 AM

I am looking to clear out some shelf space in my entertainment cabinet but I can't part with my region free dvd player that plays a lot of discs that most Blu Rays don't play. I would like to buy a Blu Ray player that can essentially take it's place.

Can any owner/user of the Sharp 24U confirm if this player can play VCDs or svcds? I'm looking to take the plunge this week so any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
post #21 of 38 Old 02-16-2011, 10:06 PM

Many online retailers like ebay, amazon, or bombayelectronics sell BDHP24U as region free, NTSC/PAL compatible and 110/220V for around $250. Best Buy is selling these Sharps for US for $99 now. After extensive googleing I haven't found any "remote" code or separate hardware mods hacks available to buy anywhere. Could any region free sharp owner somehow verify region free modification inside their units? I would like to lay my hands on this unit if it would be possible to make it region free for another $50 max.
I know that Oppo is far superior blu ray player, but I really don't like to pay $600 or $700 so my kids here in U.S. can watch their favorite cartoons in their native language from region "B".
TIA for any help.
post #22 of 38 Old 02-16-2011, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matcad View Post

Many online retailers like ebay, amazon, or bombayelectronics sell BDHP24U as region free, NTSC/PAL compatible and 110/220V for around $250. Best Buy is selling these Sharps for US for $99 now. After extensive googleing I haven't found any "remote" code or separate hardware mods hacks available to buy anywhere. Could any region free sharp owner somehow verify region free modification inside their units? I would like to lay my hands on this unit if it would be possible to make it region free for another $50 max.
I know that Oppo is far superior blu ray player, but I really don't like to pay $600 or $700 so my kids here in U.S. can watch their favorite cartoons in their native language from region "B".
TIA for any help.

I know this isn't the answer to your question but since you're interested in a region free Blu Ray player in between $100-150, and you're already shopping at Best Buy, there is a player for you to consider.
Last month I picked up an INSIGNIA WBRDVD-2 at Best Buy(I live in New Jersey) for $129.99 and it was Region Free right out of the box. It played fine, but I returned it as it didn't play (s)VCDs.
Again, I know this doesn't answer your Sharp question but it's just a suggestion.
post #23 of 38 Old 02-17-2011, 08:35 AM

@JGDragov

Thanks for your suggestion. It is an option for consideration. I'll look into it. Just so we are on the same page: we're talking about Blu Ray region free, not DVD, right?
post #24 of 38 Old 02-17-2011, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matcad View Post
@JGDragov

Thanks for your suggestion. It is an option for consideration. I'll look into it. Just so we are on the same page: we're talking about Blu Ray region free, not DVD, right?

Sorry for not being more specific matcad. I was referring to the DVD playback as a certainty. I have UK Blu Ray versions of Alien Anthology and The Fog which played perfectly on the Insignia but I don't believe they are region encoded. I do have another suggestion if you do pick up the Insignia to try out.

I found the Insignia's menu to be very similar to my Sherwood BDP-5004 and Hiteker(I never heard of them before either) Blu Ray players. It turns out that these units are clones of the Momitsu 899 and their blu Ray Region/Zones can be changed with codes form the remote.

The codes for Blu Ray Zone A, which it should come set at is 87501, Zone B, 87502 and Zone C 87503. Given Best Buy's excellent return policy you might want to give it a shot. If you don't mind spending a little more money(about $150-$170 right now) I highly recommend the Sherwood BDP-5004 which plays every Region DVD and every Zone Blu Ray perfectly. The Blu Ray images and SD DVD playback on the Sherwood look as good as any of the Blu Ray players I've seen.
post #25 of 38 Old 02-17-2011, 06:34 PM

Just got a BD-HP24U Region free player. I don't have any non-region A Blu-rays to test but I do have some region 2 and region 4 PAL DVDs. So far no problem playing any of them.

Didn't really need to buy it. Already had a Panasonic DMP-BD45 blu-ray and an old Region free JVC XV-N50BK dvd player. Just got tired of switching between the two, with very different menus and all.
post #26 of 38 Old 03-23-2011, 07:57 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I'm having this issue as well. It would be bad enough if it didn't work from the beginning but it'll play up to 30 minutes of the movie fine, then acts just the way you described. All firmware is up-to-date and soft and hard resets didn't fix it.

Looking at returning it.

Richard Gautier

post #27 of 38 Old 04-23-2011, 02:58 PM

Hello, new to the forum and a search on Sharp BD-HP24U brought me here. I bought my blu ray player a while back, (Nov'10) and have enjoyed it thus far. Today I got the motivation to hook up an ethernet cable so I could watch netflix movies. Got the cable installed and was proud of myself not being a real expert on running cables and such. Sat down to connect to netflix and watch a movie and all I'm getting is 'no internet connection'. Tried manually inputting IP address and still no luck. Any ideas?
post #28 of 38 Old 04-23-2011, 04:00 PM

Also, when i manually input the IP address, Netmask, Gateway & DNS Address and hit complete it comes back with a message 'input the right number/word after affirming the content'. Not sure what this code would be?
post #29 of 38 Old 04-25-2011, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartzy34 View Post

Hello, new to the forum and a search on Sharp BD-HP24U brought me here. I bought my blu ray player a while back, (Nov'10) and have enjoyed it thus far. Today I got the motivation to hook up an ethernet cable so I could watch netflix movies. Got the cable installed and was proud of myself not being a real expert on running cables and such. Sat down to connect to netflix and watch a movie and all I'm getting is 'no internet connection'. Tried manually inputting IP address and still no luck. Any ideas?

Bump for the day crowd?
post #30 of 38 Old 04-25-2011, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartzy34 View Post

Also, when i manually input the IP address, Netmask, Gateway & DNS Address and hit complete it comes back with a message 'input the right number/word after affirming the content'. Not sure what this code would be?

Bump for the day crowd?
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Iron Man 2 Single Disc Edition Blu Ray , Sharp Bd Hp24u Blu Ray Disc Player
Gear in this thread - Iron by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page