AVS Forum banner

1080p60 (1080p50) playback

15K views 57 replies 20 participants last post by  bordo32 
#1 ·
Which BD players are capable of 1080p60/1080p50 (I will call it "FullHD") playback?

Obviously, there are no pressed BDs in this format, so it can only be a burned disc or a memory card:

* Recordable DVD ("AVCHD disc")

* Recordable BD

* Secure Digital memory card (for some Panasonic and JVC players, maybe some other players accept memory cards as well).

Where FullHD would come from? Presently, the only source of getting FullHD without rendering it in some video editing application is Panasonic "600" and "700" camcorder families, and some Sanyo camcorders. Video is in AVC format at bitrates of 24 Mbit/s (Sanyo) or 28 Mbit/s (Panasonic).

Burned to DVD to create an AVCHD disc such a video can be played in certain BD players.

If someone of you would like to test 1080p60 on your BD player, I can upload an ISO of an AVCHD disc with 1080p60 footage.

UPDATE 2010-12-02: See post #9 below for the ISO file and instructions: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...5#post19579825

I will start the list, which I will update as comments are added to the thread.

--- 1080p60 ---

Panasonic DMP-BD80(K) -- hiccup-free playback from an SD card; when playing back from a DVD-R hiccups occur at bitrates higher than 18-20 Mbit/s. That is, native video from Panasonic camcorders will likely stutter when played from a disc.

UPDATE 2010-12-03: Pioneer BDP-51FD / Elite BDP-05FD -- plays 1080p60 @ 27.5 Mbit/s from a regular DVD+R disc without hiccups. Thanks, flint350: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1294889

UPDATE 2010-12-03: OPPO BDP-83: plays regular 1080i AVCHD, clips encoded as 1080p60 stutter even at 13 Mbit/s, both from DVD and USB media.

OPPO BDP-93: plays 1080p60 @ 27.5 Mbit/s without hiccups from both DVD and USB media. Thanks, wmcclain.

See less See more
#27 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by powjunky /forum/post/19599096

Is it possible to test these files using a bd-r instead of a dvd-r? Would it make a difference in the ability to playback the last file?

The disc image is made for "AVCHD" profile, not for "BD". Some less restrictive players will play it from BD media, but others won't. I don't want you do lose an expensive disc. If you like, I can author a similar image using BD profile.

#28 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ungermann /forum/post/19602672

The disc image is made for "AVCHD" profile, not for "BD". Some less restrictive players will play it from BD media, but others won't. I don't want you do lose an expensive disc. If you like, I can author a similar image using BD profile.

No, but thanks. I just wondered if a BD-r would play the last file better. I was able to play files 1-4 fine on the dvd, but the last file stuttered. By the way, I also posted in the panny 700 forum about my trouble playing the files from SD card. Wondered where I went wrong. I copied the files in the folder structure you suggested for SD card, but only got blank thumbnails and couldn't get anything to play. My card is an SD, not an SDHC. Not sure if that matters.

Here is the link to that post:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...9#post19599709

#30 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain /forum/post/19589529

You are correct. Title 1 plays correctly on the OPPO BDP-83, while 2 through 5 stutter. All play correctly on the BDP-93.

I see the same results using disc and USB stick on both players.

For anyone testing this on OPPO players: the remote GOTO button is handy for jumping between the clips.

-Bill

Thank you very much. This is very significant news. Together with Netflix (and Blockbuster) streaming, this would be the most important reason for me to upgrade from BDP-83.

Is there a screens shot of the BDP-93 UI that is used to navigate videos stored on external USB hard drive? How comfortable is it to navigate through several hundred videos in multiple folders?

#32 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdv5 /forum/post/19721744

Thank you very much. This is very significant news. Together with Netflix (and Blockbuster) streaming, this would be the most important reason for me to upgrade from BDP-83.

Is there a screens shot of the BDP-93 UI that is used to navigate videos stored on external USB hard drive? How comfortable is it to navigate through several hundred videos in multiple folders?

The UI is the same as on the -83 and is illustrated in the online manual. Not so good for large collections.

-Bill

#33 ·
I have the Sony BDP-S570 with firmware M04.R.735 and burned the iso to a DVD-RW. It played very nicely and I was stunned by the great quality of that final clip.

Also: The audio on that final clip switched my Onkyo 905 AVR to "MultiCh" mode (from "Direct" for the other clips) and lit up all the audio channels, whereas the previous clips only lit up the Front Left and Front Right channels. That final clip is the only one that appeared to be surround sound.

#36 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjc3 /forum/post/19929449

Any chance of trialling the clips over network?

I don't know of a DLNA server that supports AVCHD. Conceptually a directory structure with auxillary file types is more complicated that a single file and I'm not sure how a client and server would work it out.

[EDIT: the OPPO supports individual m2ts files and that could be tested over DLNA, but that's not the same as full AVCHD].

-Bill

#38 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjc3 /forum/post/19931989

Individual clips would be fine. Many thanks.

In my setup with the OPPO BDP-93, ethernet cable to my linux PC running Twonky for DLNA, all the individual m2ts files play, but they all stutter. Would a different server produce better results? I don't know.

I copied the m2ts files out of AVCHD to a bare folder on a USB stick and they all play smoothly when directly mounted on the player, just as the AVCHD version itself does.

-Bill

#39 ·
Thanks for testing. I edit all my 1080p60 and render to single .m2ts file in 1080p60 and play back over network from NAS with Dune. I am looking for a BD player in another room which can still stream the files OK. Might have to do some more searching or end up with another Dune.

#41 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNO821 /forum/post/19730948

I have the Sony BDP-S570 with firmware M04.R.735 and burned the iso to a DVD-RW. It played very nicely and I was stunned by the great quality of that final clip.

Also: The audio on that final clip switched my Onkyo 905 AVR to "MultiCh" mode (from "Direct" for the other clips) and lit up all the audio channels, whereas the previous clips only lit up the Front Left and Front Right channels. That final clip is the only one that appeared to be surround sound.

Cool, thank you for checking this out. I am glad that the Sony plays back without hiccups and without too much dancing around. I've heard that one can simply drag an MTS or M2TS file on a disc, burn it, and the Sony will play it. Panasonic players require full AVCHD structure, moreover, they do not accept the original recording from a camcorder (!), so I had to re-wrap it (but thankfully, not fully re-encode) by using MultiAVCHD.

The last video on the disc is the original (well, re-wrapped by MultiAVCHD/tsMuxer, but again, not re-encoded) video from the Pananasonic TM700 camcorder. The camcorder has 5.1 microphone, whether this really improves the sound is debatable, but you are correct, the sound is recorded in 6 channels.

Also see this entry about the S270 player: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8#post19672058 Apparently, the whole new lineup from Sony supports 1080p60, and in much easier way than the Panasonics. No wonder, Sony just has released a bunch of camcorders and digicams that record in 1080p60 format! So they need a good support in their players. I wonder when 1080p60 will be added to the BD/AVCHD specs.

#42 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ungermann /forum/post/19579825

Here is the ISO file to test AVCHD and 1080p60 capability of your Blu-ray player: ...

This will make what is known as "AVCHD disc".

Play this disc in your Blu-ray player and report back the results. Please, report your player make and model, firmware revision and any issues you notice.

The ISO file contains AVCHD structure with 5 video clips. There is no menu, playback should start right away. There are info cards before each clip except for the last one, which is the original clip from then my HDC-TM700:

The ISO image has been mastered with MultiAVCHD using "AVCHD Strict" profile, and plays on my Panasonic DMP-BD80K Blu-ray player. The last, original, clip plays but stutters: the disc is not spinning fast enough.

So, enjoy and post back the results.

I've never been able to play any BD-25, authored with multiAVCHD, on my OPPO-93, latest firmware. They were all "Unknown Disc". I've certainly made sure to try multiple settings with no avail. When using BD-Rebuilder, all DVD5and9 played fine but no BD-25 with full backup mode! I am puzzled. Any parameters on the player ? Thanks for any hints.

#43 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dofin /forum/post/20003690

I've never been able to play any BD-25, authored with multiAVCHD, on my OPPO-93, latest firmware. They were all "Unknown Disc". I've certainly made sure to try multiple settings with no avail. When using BD-Rebuilder, all DVD5and9 played fine but no BD-25 with full backup mode! I am puzzled. Any parameters on the player ? Thanks for any hints.

Are you talking about burned discs? Or playback off an attached hard drive? Or streaming via DLNA?

DLNA will have problems with AVCHD.

For burned discs, the particular media and the speed at which you do the burn are the usual factors. Give Oppo tech support a call. They may ask you to send them a disc so they can see what's up.

For hard drive playback, embed the BD folder in a folder named AVCHD and play that AVCHD. The 93 won't play direct copies but you can get around that this way by playing them as an AVCHD.

--Bob

#44 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau
Are you talking about burned discs? Or playback off an attached hard drive? Or streaming via DLNA?

DLNA will have problems with AVCHD.

For burned discs, the particular media and the speed at which you do the burn are the usual factors. Give Oppo tech support a call. They may ask you to send them a disc so they can see what's up.

For hard drive playback, embed the BD folder in a folder named AVCHD and play that AVCHD. The 93 won't play direct copies but you can get around that this way by playing them as an AVCHD.

--Bob
Thanks Bob for taking the time to answer. I've read a lot of your posted messages and it must keep you very busy. But your knowledge is evident and your suggestions had helped me a lot.

Regarding my issue, I was taking about burned BD folders created by multiAVCHD or BD-Rebuilder on 25Go Memorex BD-R, at 2.4X. Playing m2ts files through an external drive, worked flawlessly but it is not like a BD burned disc. I've just read about the AVCHD folders and I will try to embed BD folders ion it. Will this give me access to original menu, chapters, etc. ?

BTW, I've downloaded the 336 Mo ISO and all 5 files played correctly. I'll give a call to OPPO. Thanks.

#46 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau /forum/post/20005648

Yes, the AVCHD hack works quite well so long as you are not trying to stream the results.

You should also try posting in the Oppo owner's thread as you are more likely to have your post read by people trying to do the same thing.

--Bob

I will post this message in the Oppo's owner thread, I just wanted to avoid a double -post. Thanks for your help and remain a dedicated ressource.

#47 ·
Just tested my older LG BD350C. (latest firmware applied). It plays 1080p60 from DVD well with rates up to 18 MB/s. At 28 MB/s is completely unwatchable, it stutters badly. I burned a RW bluray disk (as AVCHD with mAVCHD) 4 different clips at 1080p60 28 MB/s and plays well. There is one exeption, I will have to investigate more from where it's comming. One of the clips is longer about 6 minute total. After about 2 minutes I had imprssion that it was some short stuttering, but after that all was OK.I have to try the disk on PC and double check that the stuttering is not from recording. The other 3 short clips I had about 1-2 minutes long play OK. As a note for blu-ray I did not use the clips provided but new ones I found on the net recorded with Sony NEX5N (1080p60, 28MB/s - AVCHD2.0 progressive).

#48 ·
OK, I had time to investigate.It looks like the problem is with mAVCHD processing, not with the player. I tried to play the generated stream file on PC, from harddrive and there is the same stuttering. In the original file all OK. The program I use (mAVCHD) does not d any transcoding (I can check the detailed of the file it's still 1080p60, ~28 Bits/s, but for any reason it stutters and original one does not. I'm not an expert on mAVCHD so I can not tell why.

I will try to play with some settings.

#50 ·
Can anyone point out a specific 2011 or 2012 Blu-ray player model that has a spec list that specifically affirms it will play discs that use the AVCHD 2.0 codec, which entails 1920x1080 resolution with 60p/50p at 28mbps?

Or how about a link to the specific area of a manufacturer's site where an owner of an existing BD player can download a firmware update to enable it to play such discs?

Neither item is a cinch to find. There are assorted rumors, or threads that raise the issue, but then peter out. But no real deal. The Sony and Panasonic global sites are not any help, and I suspect that the other manufacturers' sites are mute or oblique. SFAIK, there is no 1080 60p content for sale, but the number of cameras now sold with an AVCHD2 mode would seem to call for some dedicated player support. Otherwise, the stuff must be converted or else watched only on one's own PC.

I've searched many forum threads for this topic, but it does not appear in the subject line of anything in this section. I see it mentioned in some PS3 threads, or in others that relate to Sony or Panasonic cameras that shoot in that mode. Evidently, the latest versions of Sony editing products, or Avid Studio, can import and export the video without downconversion. Some threads allege that some 2011 models of 3D BD players wll also support 1080 60p 2D video. However, it's hard to find any confirmations, real spec lists, or firmware links to learn whether this is really the case. People are also apt to confuse 60p with 24p, or assume that the inquirer wants to know whether a player supports "progressive," which traditionally meant 24p only. Typographical confusion between 60i and 60p occurs all the time too. Or someone will have a 60hz display and think that means one sees 60p video. In other words, this is a topic that goes in circles. My search for an answer leads, often enough, to unanswered queries place months ago, or as far back as early 2010 when the Panny TM700 introduced 1080 60p video.

Thanks for any clear guidance.

#51 ·
AFAIK, all Sony 2011 *80 series support AVCHD 2.0 and 1080/60p files with a FW upgrade. I know of NO other players that support AVCHD 2.0. I have a Sony BDP-S580 and have successfully created AVCHD 2.0 1080/60p BD's from Panasonic TM900 1080/60p 28Mbps camcorder files that play on the S580. I assume all their newly announced *90 series BD players will support AVCHD 2.0 as well.

Sony and Panasonic developed the new AVCHD 2.0 spec, so I'm hoping Panasonic's new players coming out this year will support it as well. None of last years Panasonic models support AVCHD 2.0. I have not been able to find any detailed specs on the new Panny BD players that suggest support for AVCHD 2.0 (no complete specs available yet), but would be shocked if they didn't support it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.