http://www.electronichouse.com/artic...&utm_medium=rp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 53 Old 11-01-2010, 11:01 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Too bad this won't be available in Canada according to Yamaha Canada when I contacted them about it last week.

UPDATE: Contacted Yamaha Canada again after the Nov. 1st press releases about the player and their position still is that this player won't be available in Canada
post #3 of 53 Old 01-24-2011, 04:35 PM

Liked: 10
Looking for user feedback on the new Yamaha BD-A1000 Blu-ray Player that was announced in Nov 2010. I plan to purchase the Yamaha RX-A2000 A/V Receiver and want to know if this unit is worth the hefty steet price of $599 to be an complimentary player. I just like a single remote to handle most all the equipment. Thanks...........
post #4 of 53 Old 02-09-2011, 04:01 PM

Hi,
I'm looking for RS232 codes for the Yamaha BD-A1000 Blu-ray player. Any suggestions? Maybe a good phone number to a support area to get this?

TIA,
Tim Berry
post #5 of 53 Old 02-16-2011, 09:59 PM

Anyone have one of these? Can't find much online about it anywhere other than press releases and Yamaha's website.
post #6 of 53 Old 02-22-2011, 02:10 PM
JOL

Does anyone know what audio DACs the Yamaha BD-A1000 uses?

I've only seen mentioned "192kHz/24-bit audio DACs" and "7.1 multi-channel analog output with four 2-channel DACs", but was wondering what chip it uses.
post #7 of 53 Old 02-25-2011, 11:32 PM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOL View Post

Does anyone know what audio DACs the Yamaha BD-A1000 uses?

I've only seen mentioned "192kHz/24-bit audio DACs" and "7.1 multi-channel analog output with four 2-channel DACs", but was wondering what chip it uses.

As far as I know it uses DAC AK4358 (Asahi Kasei Microsystems) and DAC WM8524 (Wolfson Microelectronics). See http://yamaha-service-hifi.kiev.ua/B...ation_rev3.pps
post #8 of 53 Old 02-26-2011, 08:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokap View Post

As far as I know it uses DAC AK4358 (Asahi Kasei Microsystems) and DAC WM8524 (Wolfson Microelectronics). See http://yamaha-service-hifi.kiev.ua/B...ation_rev3.pps

AK4358? Very interesting choice.

On paper its a low end DAC. But Marantz AV7005 is also using AK4358s...

BD-A1010/CD-S1000/PF60
HTR-6290/A-S1000/KDL46V5100
NS-555/SOAVO-900C/NS-125F

BD - 242
HD - 7
post #9 of 53 Old 02-27-2011, 08:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana Slug View Post

Anyone have one of these? Can't find much online about it anywhere other than press releases and Yamaha's website.

Review coming in May Stereophile.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #10 of 53 Old 02-27-2011, 09:04 AM

May??? Thanks, I'll keep an eye out for it. I ordered one, it will be arriving tomorrow.
post #11 of 53 Old 03-08-2011, 05:58 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

May??? Thanks, I'll keep an eye out for it. I ordered one, it will be arriving tomorrow.

How do you like it?
post #12 of 53 Old 03-08-2011, 07:30 PM

Well, my first impression is that I like it a lot. Build quality seems solid, load times are reasonable, image quality is great. Audio CDs sound great as well. However, it is hard for me to compare it to the Panasonic Blu-ray it is replacing, as I got a new Aventage RX-A2000 receiver and new high-end HDMI cables at the same time, so I really have a whole new system. Plus I've only watched a few discs on it so far. And I am not a crazy audiophile like some of you guys (), just someone with an apprecation for quality sound and vision. I can post more info in a few weeks after I've had time to play with it some more. At the moment I am a happy camper though.
post #13 of 53 Old 03-08-2011, 08:05 PM

Quote:

Well, my first impression is that I like it a lot. Build quality seems solid, load times are reasonable, image quality is great. Audio CDs sound great as well. However, it is hard for me to compare it to the Panasonic Blu-ray it is replacing, as I got a new Aventage RX-A2000 receiver and new high-end HDMI cables at the same time, so I really have a whole new system. Plus I've only watched a few discs on it so far. And I am not a crazy audiophile like some of you guys (), just someone with an apprecation for quality sound and vision. I can post more info in a few weeks after I've had time to play with it some more. At the moment I am a happy camper though.

We appreciate it! I'll be in the market in a few months for a bluray and I have the RX-A1000 and would love to hear your in depth impressions.
post #14 of 53 Old 03-08-2011, 08:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Can't wait to see your more detailed review in the future...I'm also looking forward to buy BD-A1000 & RX-A3000 to replace my current RX-V663/BDP-51FD setup.

BD-A1010/CD-S1000/PF60
HTR-6290/A-S1000/KDL46V5100
NS-555/SOAVO-900C/NS-125F

BD - 242
HD - 7
post #15 of 53 Old 03-10-2011, 02:36 AM

Hi, some of my experiences based on European equivalent - the BD-S1067.
First of all - it replaced my PS3 Slim which I thought was really good.. and indeed it was...
Secondly - the picture quality of Yamaha is much much greater than that of PS3 - the change is substantial for both HD/BD and especially SD/DVD!
And the sound - this is increadible how much better it is now! I was not expecting such a big difference in richness, clarity, deep and the spatial of a sound stage. It is amazing! Also SACD and DVD-Audio are now possible (was not on PS3) and this is showing a truly amazing sound
And a nice thing - very good DLNA client reading most of the video formats (including 1080p .mkv) , fast pictures (10mpx photos) rendering but bit dissappointing audio support - no FLAC
My player is connected now to Yamaha RX-V2067 ( = Aventage 2000 ) and what is a nice addition - the Scene functionality = one remote for both.
All in all - worth every cent!
post #16 of 53 Old 03-10-2011, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxxiu View Post

Hi, some of my experiences based on European equivalent - the BD-S1067.
First of all - it replaced my PS3 Slim which I thought was really good.. and indeed it was...
Secondly - the picture quality of Yamaha is much much greater than that of PS3 - the change is substantial for both HD/BD and especially SD/DVD!
And the sound - this is increadible how much better it is now! I was not expecting such a big difference in richness, clarity, deep and the spatial of a sound stage. It is amazing! Also SACD and DVD-Audio are now possible (was not on PS3) and this is showing a truly amazing sound
And a nice thing - very good DLNA client reading most of the video formats (including 1080p .mkv) , fast pictures (10mpx photos) rendering but bit dissappointing audio support - no FLAC
My player is connected now to Yamaha RX-V2067 ( = Aventage 2000 ) and what is a nice addition - the Scene functionality = one remote for both.
All in all - worth every cent!

Thanks for the mini review! How are load times as compared to the PS3?
post #17 of 53 Old 03-10-2011, 01:10 PM

I had a chance to do some limited testing yesterday, comparing the BD-A1000 to my old Panasonic DMP-BD35 Bluray player. Previously I had the Panasonic player plugged directly into my 50" Panasonic plasma TV via HDMI, but when I got the new Yamaha bluray I also got a new Yamaha RX-A2000 receiver, some Vandersteen bookshelf front and center speakers, and a Velodyne sub. I am still waiting for my rear surround speakers to be installed, but basically I have a whole new system so it is hard to make direct comparisons. What I did yesterday was to alternate plugging in the Panasonic Bluray and the Yamaha Bluray through the same HDMI cable input to the receiver. I'm not sure how much of what I was seeing and hearing may have been signal processing by the receiver vs the player, but the connections were the same. I am still getting used to the receiver and don't know all the ins and outs of the controls. Also bear in mind I am an old time audiophile but haven't bought a new receiver in 20 years so I am somewhat of a newbie with this new type of AV gear, plus my hearing ain't what it used to be and I only spent an hour or so on this informal comparison. So those are my disclaimers.

What I can say is that the video from the bluray discs looked excellent through both the Panasonic and the Yamaha players, but I thought there was perhaps a bit more detail in the blacks through the Yamaha. However, there was clearly a huge improvement in the audio on the Yamaha player, both for soundtracks on DVDs and Blurays as well as on audio CDs. There was a level of clarity and presence and depth in the music that simply was not present on the Panasonic player. DVD image quality was superior on the Yamaha compared to the Panasonic. Close-ups of people's faces were somewhat jagged on the panasonic, but smoooth on the Yamaha, and the image quality of DVDs on the Yamaha was almost as good as that of the Blurays.

Regarding load times, I timed 20 seconds from turning the power on until I saw the "no disc" signal on the Yamaha, vs. 31 seconds on the Panny. From inserting a bluray disc (Planet Earth) until an image appeared on screen took 14 seconds on the Yamaha vs 30 seconds on the Panny, and for a DVD (A Beautiful Mind) 10 seconds on the Yamaha vs 22 on the Panny. I didn't time load times for audio CDs, but I listened to some Tchaikovsky and some Bob Marley on the two players and the Yamaha blew the Panasonic away on both of them.

I will add that I was surprised at how light the Yamaha bluray player was. It is replacing not only the Panasonic Bluray but also an old Sony S9000ES DVD player, which weighs probably 3 times as much as the Yamaha. But as I said in my last post the Yamaha has a solid feel to it, and I like the simple layout and the feel of the hard buttons. Definitely a keeper for me.

And in case it matters to anyone, this unit is made in Malaysia.
post #18 of 53 Old 03-14-2011, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewbkillen View Post

Thanks for the mini review! How are load times as compared to the PS3?

Audio CD - time is the same
DVD Video - I feel no difference
BluRay - maybe a little bit slower but not much. After loading the main screen of Blu it goes as smooth as PS3 The "maybe" slower is network connection (all those Live, Bonus View etc).. however this might be just my personnal feeling as I did no direct comparison and will not do as anyway those features are still almost nothing interesting
DVD Audio, DTS Audio and SACD - no comparison - impossible on PS3 at all

All in all - Yammy impressed me much and is still impressing by its video and audio quality!
post #19 of 53 Old 03-18-2011, 07:25 PM

Just so everyone knows the Aventage iPhone app now supports the BD-A1000. I don't have this player but I have the RX-A1000 and noticed this. Thought you might want know.
post #20 of 53 Old 03-21-2011, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewbkillen View Post

Just so everyone knows the Aventage iPhone app now supports the BD-A1000. I don't have this player but I have the RX-A1000 and noticed this. Thought you might want know.

Sure, thanks. It must be a great news.... but not for European users without tricking the iTunes
For some unknown reason Y decided that... what ? no iPhones in old continent...
Sad, sad... weird
post #21 of 53 Old 03-28-2011, 03:40 PM
AVS Special Member

For those of you who have this player, and find the audio clearly superior to your previous player, what are you using for the connection from player to receiver, ie. HDMI, co-ax, optical, or analog?
Are you bitstreaming or letting the player decode the audio?

Thanks!
post #22 of 53 Old 03-28-2011, 07:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacksmyname View Post

For those of you who have this player, and find the audio clearly superior to your previous player, what are you using for the connection from player to receiver, ie. HDMI, co-ax, optical, or analog?
Are you bitstreaming or letting the player decode the audio?

Thanks!

lossless audio over hdmi - be it bitstreamed or sent via lpcm will be identical to any other blu ray player, even a $65 one at wal-mart provided it can decode or bitstream.
post #23 of 53 Old 03-28-2011, 08:58 PM

Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by winston9332 View Post

lossless audio over hdmi - be it bitstreamed or sent via lpcm will be identical to any other blu ray player, even a $65 one at wal-mart provided it can decode or bitstream.

Not so fast... this is a common misconception about LPCM versus Bitstream.

Direct from Yamaha technical support, when I e-mailed them and asked about the BD-A1000:

"You can set the player to output PCM for HDMI and it will do the decoding for DTS HD or Dolby True HD. It will only be 1.5 Mbps over LPCM instead of DTS-MA at roughly 4.0 Mbps. The best quality will still be with the DTS HD and Dolby HD output not PCM."

Now, I am still a fan of this player (I am seriously thinking about changing out my Sony BDP-S470 for the A-1000), but this is a shortcoming of many of the mid-range players.

For example, I confirmed this verbally with Sony Technical support that *all* of their Blu-ray players have the same limitation (excluding PS3).

So, the position that there is no difference in quality between PCM and bitstream is meaningless, because ... wait for it... mid-range players do not decode and transport the full (HD) version of DTS-MA with PCM.

"Play the volume as loud as you want - but don't touch my levels now. I got them set just like I like them"
post #24 of 53 Old 04-03-2011, 08:34 PM

Got my new BD-A1000 last week and upgraded the firmware. It still will not do uTube streaming yet. Should be ready in a week or so says Yamaha CSR. I hope so with them already advertising it and also being one of the reasons I bought it.....
post #25 of 53 Old 04-04-2011, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishingmaniac View Post

Got my new BD-A1000 last week and upgraded the firmware. It still will not do uTube streaming yet. Should be ready in a week or so says Yamaha CSR. I hope so with them already advertising it and also being one of the reasons I bought it.....

Would you (or anyone else) be willing to post your impressions of the player, as a disc spinner (i.e. playing BDs and DVDs, as opposed to the streaming stuff)? I am really interested in this player to go with my Yammy AVR, but I can't find any meaningful reviews of the PQ, AQ and user experience.

Thanks.

"Play the volume as loud as you want - but don't touch my levels now. I got them set just like I like them"
post #26 of 53 Old 04-04-2011, 06:47 PM

I will be happy to as soon as I get a Blueray DVD! Can you or anyone recommend a good BRDVD to watch as a test? Anything in particular you would like me to try? As of now I can only tell you the update went smoothly; first I believe it said it did a front end upgrade, then a back end upgrade, then another front end upgrade. It is about twice as thick (about 3") as my last Yamaha that was DVD only(1 1/2").
post #27 of 53 Old 04-04-2011, 07:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krutsch View Post

Would you (or anyone else) be willing to post your impressions of the player, as a disc spinner (i.e. playing BDs and DVDs, as opposed to the streaming stuff)? I am really interested in this player to go with my Yammy AVR, but I can't find any meaningful reviews of the PQ, AQ and user experience. Thanks.

May Stereophile.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #28 of 53 Old 04-04-2011, 07:33 PM

Just searched Stereophile website for BD-A1000 - no results
post #29 of 53 Old 04-04-2011, 08:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishingmaniac View Post

Just searched Stereophile website for BD-A1000 - no results

Reviews don't come out until the magazine has been out for a while, so you may not see the review until May or so.
post #30 of 53 Old 04-05-2011, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

May Stereophile.

Good. I just signed up for a subscription for the magazine, so I will look forward to reading it. Maybe this month...?

Reply Blu-ray Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page