blu-ray player in 24p sync loss in menus - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 11-08-2010, 08:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
When I put my Blu-ray player in 1080p24 mode (when source material is present), when I begin playing a blu-ray, the material alternates several times between 24p sources and 60p sources. For instance, the FBI warning might be in 24p, then a studio logo in 60p, and then a studio disclaimer back to 20p. Each time my Blu-ray (Panasonic BD30) player encounters the different type of encoding, it has to change mode, causing my projector to lose sync and momentarily put up "No HDMI signal". With newer discs it is a very irritating flash-fest of digital encode artifacts lasting a couple of minutes.

Does anyone know if newer Blu-ray players handle this better than the BD30? Also I'm assuming that the loss of sync isn't putting a strain on my projector. Should I be concerned?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 11-08-2010, 08:48 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cham313 View Post

When I put my Blu-ray player in 1080p24 mode (when source material is present), when I begin playing a blu-ray, the material alternates several times between 24p sources and 60p sources. For instance, the FBI warning might be in 24p, then a studio logo in 60p, and then a studio disclaimer back to 20p. Each time my Blu-ray (Panasonic BD30) player encounters the different type of encoding, it has to change mode, causing my projector to lose sync and momentarily put up "No HDMI signal". With newer discs it is a very irritating flash-fest of digital encode artifacts lasting a couple of minutes.

Does anyone know if newer Blu-ray players handle this better than the BD30? Also I'm assuming that the loss of sync isn't putting a strain on my projector. Should I be concerned?

These are HDMI handshakes and I suspect are inevitable when the source changes frame rate or resolution. They are indeed irritating and sometimes hard to diagnose because everyone's display chain can handle it differently.

Concern: I don't know.

-Bill
post #3 of 8 Old 11-08-2010, 09:13 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
They are indeed inevitable as far as I'm aware. The only solution would be to turn off 24p. Not something I'd do, personally. I'd rather have 24p enabled . . . unfortunately, my Samsung BD-C6900 forces me to re-enable it almost every time I turn on the player. I suspect during its bootup, it doesn't properly detect that my equipment is 24p capable.

Ahhhh, HDMI handshake, how I love thee. I'd like to find the guy who invented this . . . and shake his hand.
post #4 of 8 Old 11-08-2010, 01:01 PM - Thread Starter

Are there Blu-ray players that will convert 1080p60 to 1080p24? I wouldn't care if trailers and warnings had some unnatural judder as a result.
post #5 of 8 Old 11-08-2010, 01:20 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Quote:
Are there Blu-ray players that will convert 1080p60 to 1080p24? I wouldn't care if trailers and warnings had some unnatural judder as a result.
No can do. (There may be some special circumstances, but it is not the common case).

-Bill
post #6 of 8 Old 11-08-2010, 01:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:

It wouldn't matter, since any change in the *source* resolution is what triggers the HDMI handshake.
post #7 of 8 Old 11-08-2010, 05:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
There's no 1080p60 on Blu-ray Disc itself, but the player can output 1080p60.

There's no HDMI handshake inside a BDP so any internal frame-rate and resolution conversion isn't seen by the interface as such - it all happens in the video chip before reaching HDMI. Setting BDP to output 1080p60 in all cases (which all players can do, as suggested in post #3) might result in a smoother transition because the display no longer deals with the resolution change. Still it takes a brief moment to do that internally in the BDP and the display might be susceptible to this brief interruption. Even if you use component video without HDMI, there is still a brief transition.

I have the Panny DMP30 and although the player changes resolution my Pioneer Kuro never displays a "No HDMI signal" during the brief transition, only a brief blank screen lasting less than a second. The Kuro or the Edge VP has never had long re-sync issues with any of my four BDPs. So it's logical to conclude that the player is not all to blame but rather how the display responds and re-syncs.

Audiosceptics accept audio trials using 25 people. A recent Oxford study with over 353,000 patient records from 639 separate clinical trials shows for every 1,000 people taking diclofenac or ibuprofen there would be 3 additional heart attacks, 4 more cases of heart failure and 1 death every year.

post #8 of 8 Old 11-08-2010, 05:53 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. My projector (JVC HD250) syncs quickly to the new timing (under one second per transition, and only on some of them briefly, for a small fraction of a second, displaying the No HDMI signal), but what I find annoying is the sheer quantity of transitions (at least on some Blu-rays) when starting up. Some seem to do this about 30 times. Others, on the other hand (Criterion disks for example) are quite clean in startup in comparison.
Reply Blu-ray Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page