post #271 of 27159 Old 11-24-2010, 12:11 PM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 513 Post(s)
Liked: 947
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan_h View Post
Picked up my 93 at the Mtn View offices yesterday. I was so eager to put it in the car that it didn't occur to me to take the gentleman who handed it to me up on the offer to "answer any questions". Later I thought: I could have asked about other internet streaming partners, esp Pandora, Amazon and Vudu, and for an unofficial word about region mods etc. Though I probably would have gotten a polite "Sorry, can't discuss such things" response.

First impressions were NOT good. My projector is in the shop, so I connected it to my old (first gen!) Vizio 720p LCD. HDMI 1 didn't work, and HDMI 2 only did after a few restarts of each device (Oppo and TV connected directly). And there was all sorts of color fringing and artifacts, both on program content and on menus, etc.

Turns out, the EDID or equivalent communication between the devices was not working right (remember, this TV is OLD). Manually setting the output resolution and color space/hdmi format solved the issues, however, and then HDMI 1 worked, as well. The Oppo still identifies the TV as a 48 inch panel, when it's really a 37 inch panel, but I fully believe this is the TV's fault.

I won't comment on picture quality etc because of the TV I am using, except to say that Netflix streaming is at least as good on this poor TV as XBOX Netflix streaming. On a better TV, it may be better than the XBOX. And I don't have my old BDP83 any longer, so even if I had a better TV available I could not do an A/B comparison of things like upscaling.

(Really eager to get the projector back from the shop, now!)
The TV size has to entered manually (only applies to folks using 3D). The 46 inch default value is just a factory preset. TV size is not something the player can determine on its own over HDMI or otherwise.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 27159 Old 11-24-2010, 12:15 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by slimoli View Post
Quite a few people reported handshaking problems with the HDMI-1, specially with Pioneer receivers. I hope I don't have any trouble but I also have a Pio VSX-94 and intend to use only the HDMI-1. Must wait until Tuesday, though.
Is there anybody using HDMI-1 with a Pioneer receiver without any flaws ?
I hope this is just a problem with the Pioneer. Once my projector comes in, I plan on moving it to the HT running through a MArantz AV7005.

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
post #273 of 27159 Old 11-24-2010, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
My universal "do it all" OPPO 93 player is still in transit (darn standard shipping ) and I wanted to know from those with the unit in hand:

will the 93 roast a Turkey?

Happy Thanksgiving !

Gman
post #274 of 27159 Old 11-24-2010, 12:25 PM

Liked: 10
... Looks like the beginning part of my reply got truncated.

I ordered the 93 on Monday, picked it up on Tuesday. Thnak you Oppo for making the process easy for at least those of us in the Bay Area for the pre-release.

Initial experience is very positive. I currently have the wdtv live for network files and a LG BD-370 for blu-ray and standard DVDs. Setup was very intuitive and easy, I dont think the majority will have any problems at all. I think the netflix and blockbuster should be offered as optional setup as part of the setup and not as separate steps.

However I am having problems playing some files over the network from a Dlink DNS-323 NAS. m2ts files play fine but wmv, mkv etc do not play at all. I copied the same file to a thumb-drive and that played fine. I have filed a bug report with Oppo. No problems playing the same files thu the wdtv live.

The setup menu does not remember the screen you were last at. It would be good to be able to do that instead of traversing the tree again.

The YCbCr 4:2:2 seems to have a problem, picture turns green with my lumagen set to 4:2:2. However if i set it to 4:4:4 it looks ok again. setting 4:4:4 on both devices works fine. The oppo may not be outputting 4:2:2. I only have this problem with HDMI-1, HDMI-2 works fine

The noise reduction feature is getting a lot of attention and more people will be watching online content, the ability to change the NR would be good. Currently I have to go thru the menu tree to do this.
post #275 of 27159 Old 11-24-2010, 12:28 PM

I did have handshake issues going thru an Emotiva UMC-1 receiver to a lumagen to the projector, the picture would drop off till I restarted the oppo. I am now using the dual HDMI and connect to the receiver only for audio- so no problem anymore.
post #276 of 27159 Old 11-24-2010, 12:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by artinaz View Post

However I am having problems playing some files over the network from a Dlink DNS-323 NAS. m2ts files play fine but wmv, mkv etc do not play at all. I copied the same file to a thumb-drive and that played fine. I have filed a bug report with Oppo.

File type and codec support via UPnP is not the same as via USB, and may never be. In the case of a DNLA sever, it has to recognize the player's capability and feed it the right stuff, which may not always be the case.
post #277 of 27159 Old 11-24-2010, 12:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

Sure. Just so you understand, there's a THIRD option which is HDMI Audio Bitstream. If you select that, then for tracks your prepro can't handle the player will automatically switch to using the lossy compatibility track (traditional DD or DTS) which is always on disc for just such purposes. And that will be sent Bitstream. The Auto setting avoids that.

Again, the player will find out from your prepro what it can accept over HDMI during the HDMI setup handshake between them, and the only output the player will generate is formats your prepro says it can handle.
--Bob

Quote:

No it still displays the track selected off the disc. DTS-HD MA in this case.

The compatibility track for a DTS-HD MA disc is a lossy DTS track that's embedded inside that DTS-HD MA bitstream -- called the "core" audio.
--Bob

Hi Bob

I know that my pre-pro (the B&K Ref70) will accept high resolution audio that has been decoded in the BluRay player through HDMI, but since there is nothing on the display of the pre-pro to tell me what it is receiving from the BluRay player, I can never tell what signal is being sent to it. That was the reason for my initial question.

But following up on your second response, I guess that even if the Oppo's display shows DTS-MA, I cannot be sure that it is actually sending the lossless audio instead of the lossy DTS core. Is this right?

Thanks again for your help.

Cal68

Cal68
post #278 of 27159 Old 11-24-2010, 12:37 PM

I received the 93 on Monday and activated my Netflix streaming last night and watched The Princess and the Frog (no jokes please) The picture was okay but not nearly Blu-Ray like, which didn't really bother me because it wasn't too bad. My question..... I was only able to receive and output Stereo sound. Will this be all I can expect via Netflix? I have a Denon 3310CI receiver. I have the HDMI 1 to the TV for picture and the HDMI 2 to the receiver for sound. Is there some setting I need to change to get surround sound thru Netflix either on the receiver or Oppo? Thanks.
post #279 of 27159 Old 11-24-2010, 12:40 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Cal, would your pre-pro show the signal received as being bit streamed DTS? If so that would be the giveaway that you were getting the lossy core. I can't imagine that when set to decode and transmit LPCM there would be any way to actually get the lossy core out of the Oppo. I just don't see any time where that would be necessary.
post #280 of 27159 Old 11-24-2010, 12:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by petemcn View Post

My 93 should be arriving next week. How long should it take for Middle Atlantic to make up a rack shelf specific to the 93?

Please pardon me for this naive question, but is there something about the Oppo 93 that would require a special rack? I only ask the question because I am thinking seriously of upgrading to the Oppo93 and I want to be sure that it will fit in my current AV rack. The Oppo would be a non-starter in my household if my family knew that I needed to get a new rack as well! Thanks.

Cal68

Cal68
post #281 of 27159 Old 11-24-2010, 12:48 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal68 View Post

Hi Bob

I know that my pre-pro (the B&K Ref70) will accept high resolution audio that has been decoded in the BluRay player through HDMI, but since there is nothing on the display of the pre-pro to tell me what it is receiving from the BluRay player, I can never tell what signal is being sent to it. That was the reason for my initial question.

But following up on your second response, I guess that even if the Oppo's display shows DTS-MA, I cannot be sure that it is actually sending the lossless audio instead of the lossy DTS core. Is this right?

Cal68

If your receiver accepts 7.1 and tells you what's coming in (2.0 or 5.1 or 7.1), one easy way to tell is to Bitstream a 7.1 track (with Secondary Audio OFF) as the compatibility tracks will never be more than 5.1.

Again, if you use LPCM output, the Oppo 93 will ALWAYS be decoding the high quality audio for you so no worries.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #282 of 27159 Old 11-24-2010, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by GmanAVS View Post

My universal "do it all" OPPO 93 player is still in transit (darn standard shipping ) and I wanted to know from those with the unit in hand:

will the 93 roast a Turkey?

Happy Thanksgiving !

Gman

No but it makes a mean pumpkin pie!!
post #283 of 27159 Old 11-24-2010, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewPannyGuy View Post

No the wireless dongle cannot be used with the 83 unless a future fw update allows it, i.e. assuming there are no limitations in the hw to support it.

Thanks for the reply. I believe there was an option to purchase a wireless dongle with the 83 so I was hoping that the one included with the 93 was the same one. My 93 just arrived a few minutes ago so I'll do a test just to satisfy my own curiosity.
post #284 of 27159 Old 11-24-2010, 12:52 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pride9 View Post

I received the 93 on Monday and activated my Netflix streaming last night and watched The Princess and the Frog (no jokes please) The picture was okay but not nearly Blu-Ray like, which didn't really bother me because it wasn't too bad. My question..... I was only able to receive and output Stereo sound. Will this be all I can expect via Netflix? I have a Denon 3310CI receiver. I have the HDMI 1 to the TV for picture and the HDMI 2 to the receiver for sound. Is there some setting I need to change to get surround sound thru Netflix either on the receiver or Oppo? Thanks.

At the moment, Netflix is only offering 5.1 sound on the PS3 I believe and only for a small subset of their streaming catalog. Odds are they worked some deal with Sony for short term exclusivity on the PS3.

The form of 5.1 sound they are using is only a minor increase in the streaming rate, so there's no technical reason why they couldn't extend that to other Netflix capable devices, like the 93. I.e., their current limitation is business, not technical.
--Bob

post #285 of 27159 Old 11-24-2010, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 34
Quote:

Currently Netflix only offers "stereo" - not 5.1.
What is you Internet connection capabilities? 1.5, 3.0, 10mb etc?

Cheers

Love DIY
post #286 of 27159 Old 11-24-2010, 12:53 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:

Please pardon me for this naive question, but is there something about the Oppo 93 that would require a special rack? I only ask the question because I am thinking seriously of upgrading to the Oppo93 and I want to be sure that it will fit in my current AV rack. The Oppo would be a non-starter in my household if my family knew that I needed to get a new rack as well! Thanks.

Cal68

Nothing special.
--Bob

post #287 of 27159 Old 11-24-2010, 12:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked: 250
Quote:

2-ch audio is all you get from Netflix from ANY player except the PS3, at least for the foreseeable future. Likewise it's Netflix who decides what quality video you will receive, based on your internet connection. It's also possible to see NF shifting playback quality during a title if connection speed changes. Obviously, GIGO and PQ varies from title to title.
post #288 of 27159 Old 11-24-2010, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by slimoli View Post

I have the Sony S570 now and my Oppo 93 will arrive next Tuesday. I will have both side by side linked to the same receiver and same display. Will post some comparisons, including SACD and DVD upscaling, Tuesday evening.

Awesome! Thanks!
post #289 of 27159 Old 11-24-2010, 01:11 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 604 Post(s)
Liked: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craven More View Post

Thanks for the reply. I believe there was an option to purchase a wireless dongle with the 83 so I was hoping that the one included with the 93 was the same one. My 93 just arrived a few minutes ago so I'll do a test just to satisfy my own curiosity.

The option with the -83 was an ethernet adapter, not USB. The -83 doesn't know how to do wireless over USB.

-Bill
post #290 of 27159 Old 11-24-2010, 01:12 PM

Just a little to add about my first impressions. My setup is HDMI to TV and coax out to an old Pioneer receiver, to 5.1. This simple setup seems to work fine.

Picture quality is--WOW. Both blu-ray and dvd look and sound super. Videos, music and fotos from the computer, via wireless network and play-on, are great. PQ on divx and flv files from computer are better than on the computer monitor.

I tired burning several movies to a dvd (flv and avi formats) and the disc was recognized and played in better than dvd quality on the tv.

No comparison to my old cheap up-scaling toshiba.

Netflix was at least as good as the Roku box.

So far so good.

Gary Einstein
post #291 of 27159 Old 11-24-2010, 01:34 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 604 Post(s)
Liked: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by greinstein View Post

Just a little to add about my first impressions. My setup is HDMI to TV and coax out to an old Pioneer receiver, to 5.1. This simple setup seems to work fine.

Picture quality is--WOW. Both blu-ray and dvd look and sound super. Videos, music and fotos from the computer, via wireless network and play-on, are great. PQ on divx and flv files from computer are better than on the computer monitor.

I tired burning several movies to a dvd (flv and avi formats) and the disc was recognized and played in better than dvd quality on the tv.

So far so good.

Gary Einstein

I haven't seen flv support. Are you sure?

-Bill
post #292 of 27159 Old 11-24-2010, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 24
how is everyone liking the new player? does it live to the hype?

Jacob
post #293 of 27159 Old 11-24-2010, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 30
From the other thread, few people reporting shipping delay to November 29 due to a firmware update. Is there a new firmware already ? Thanks.

Standard Definition Causes Lung Cancer, Heart Disease, Emphysema, And May Complicate Pregnancy
post #294 of 27159 Old 11-24-2010, 01:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

Hi Bob

Cal68

I run my Oppo 83 to an Anthem D2 pre-pro that has the same limitations as your pre-pro. It can not decode the lossless hi-def audio, but can accept them as lpcm via hdmi. It is able to decode the lossy core audio, and will light up the Dolby Digital or DTS indicators on the front of the D2 when it receives one of those bitstreamed form the Oppo.

When it is sent DTS-MA by pcm that is decoded in the Oppo there is ofcourse no lights on the D2 to indicate what signal it is receiving, since it is just decoded digital data it is receiving and there is no 'flag' imbedded in it for the D2 to recognize.

Fortunatly the D2 is able to tell me what strength of signal it is being fed from the Oppo. When I'm playing a blu-ray and I hit the 'audio' button on the Oppo remote it tells me what audio track I'm playing. If I'm playing DTS-MA the Anthem D2 will show that it receiving '48kHz'(which is the bitrate that the hi-def codecs are sent at). If I change the audio track in the Oppo to a lossy core track, the D2 will tell me that it is receiving 384 kbps. With my D2 I can verify that, with the Oppo hdmi audio set to either 'auto' or 'pcm', it sends out the track that the Oppo is set to play.

Don't worry. If you have the DTS-MA track chosen in the Oppo, then that is what is being sent to your pre-pro, as long as you have the Oppo hdmi audio set-up for 'auto' or 'pcm'.

If your pre-pro shows what strength signal it is receiving, like my D2, you can verify it for yourself. Otherwise you can take my word for it. Trust me.

Tom

"You can have my remote when you pry it from my cold dead fingers" tngiloy
Anthem D2v;Anthem A5;Golden Ear Aon3,SuperCenter XL,SuperSat3;SVS SB13 Plus x 2;Oppo BDP-103D;Ayre CX-7eMP;Panasonic plasma; Dish Hopper;PS Audio Power Plant 5- Subject to change without prior notification.
post #295 of 27159 Old 11-24-2010, 01:51 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 152
I just got word from Oppo that they are going to get a Pioneer 1120 to see if they can isolate the problem. This will not be my primary location. I'm waiting for my projector and then it will be running through the MArantz AV7005.

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
post #296 of 27159 Old 11-24-2010, 02:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by greinstein View Post

So far so good.

Gary Einstein

If your old Pioneer has '6 channel in' connections on the back you can hook up the Oppo's analog out connections. Many older receivers have '6 ch in' connections for hooking up sacd and dvd-a players.
This will allow you to enjoy the lossless audio tracks (DTS-MA for instance) as well as the improved video that bluray offers.

I have found that the hi-def audio is as much of an improvement over the lossy audio as the blu-ray video is an improvement over dvd video.

Might as well take advantage of all the improvements you can.

Tom

"You can have my remote when you pry it from my cold dead fingers" tngiloy
Anthem D2v;Anthem A5;Golden Ear Aon3,SuperCenter XL,SuperSat3;SVS SB13 Plus x 2;Oppo BDP-103D;Ayre CX-7eMP;Panasonic plasma; Dish Hopper;PS Audio Power Plant 5- Subject to change without prior notification.
post #297 of 27159 Old 11-24-2010, 03:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Nothing special.
--Bob

Whew! Thanks again Bob. You just saved my plans!

Cal68

Cal68
post #298 of 27159 Old 11-24-2010, 03:17 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Quote:

I see that Bob already made a brief reply to your question, but I thought I would expand on it. If you're using a regular rack with shelves that you sit your components on, you should be all set - there's nothing special about the BDP-93 in this regard.

The custom rack shelves are used when mounting equipment in a 19" wide rack mount enclosure that you would typically see in equipment closets and high end custom installations. What the custom shelves do is put a facade around the front panel of each piece of equipment, extend the width to the standard 19" width with holes at the correct spacing so you can bolt the shelf to the equipment rack, and lock the device in place so it won't move when you press buttons and insert / remove media. The end result, if done properly is a nice neat presentation of all the gear and no holes where you can look through and see cables or anything else in the back.

Middle Atlantic Custom Rack Shelf Overview

Here's a sample (I apologize for the quality of the photo, but it should give you the idea) of how the custom rack mount shelves look when installed in a Salamander Synergy rack with their optional rack rails. The XBOX 360, PS3, JVC DVHS player, and OPPO BDP-83 are all installed with Middle Atlantic custom rack shelves:

post #299 of 27159 Old 11-24-2010, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teachsac View Post

I just got word from Oppo that they are going to get a Pioneer 1120 to see if they can isolate the problem. This will not be my primary location. I'm waiting for my projector and then it will be running through the MArantz AV7005.

S~

I believe the 1120 and the 93 use the same Marvell chip. I wonder if there is a conflict of implementation in there somewhere. Seems suspicious anyway.
post #300 of 27159 Old 11-24-2010, 03:26 PM
Advanced Member

Maybe I have just watched two VERY poorly authored SD DVD's in a row, but at least with this beta firmware, I think the 83 might have been a bit better at upscaling.

Then again, like I said, it might just be the two dvd's i have watched. And unfortunately I can't do a side by side comparison with my old 83.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page