Forum Jump: 
 56Likes

Old 12-21-2010, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 24
certain areas are lighter in gray then other areas. but when using the player directly to the tv. I dont see the lighter images.

Jacob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2010, 02:10 PM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 566 Post(s)
Liked: 983
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob305 View Post

I asked oppo about this. they said:

Your receiver may always be processing the signal internally. On the older receivers there was no way to control the Faroudja DCDi chipset, but at the same time, these chipsets should have only been used for analog to digital video conversion.

Jacob

The Faroudja chipset is known to produce macro-blocking. This will show up as chunky, moving squares, particularly in background areas that should be a single, uniform color. Often this is more visible in the dark grays.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Old 12-21-2010, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member

that make sense. I wonder if the new onkyo 508/608 suffers from that?
thanks for making me understand that much better.
Jacob
Old 12-21-2010, 02:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001 View Post

This is a good sign.
I did a check at JVBDigital and confirmed that theirs will be DVD only. While this is my main interest, I'll wait for the whole shebang. The mod is the only thing holding me back from buying the 93 now.

Hopefully, the mod kits will be forthcoming.

I wll be buying mine as soon as the mod is available. What were the top sites to get the 83 mod?
Old 12-21-2010, 02:44 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Seems kinda pointless to be so diligent about region locking when most of the studios (Disney, Warner Bros, Paramount, Dreamworks, Universal) release their movies region free.

It's also silly that a PS3 will be region locked for movies, but is almost completely region free for the games. The little guys like Oppo and Criterion (who dare not risk pissing off the gargantuan Sony) err on the side of caution. But even Sony is inconsistent.
Old 12-21-2010, 02:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 188
Language barriers is usually what stops reverse importation (something Sony, as a Japanese company, is worried about) when games are released. Films usually contain multiple languages and subtitle tracks, so they are far more viable for use in regions the disc was not originally distributed in.
Old 12-21-2010, 02:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbotron View Post

Seems kinda pointless to be so diligent about region locking when most of the studios (Disney, Warner Bros, Paramount, Dreamworks, Universal) release their movies region free.

It's also silly that a PS3 will be region locked for movies, but is almost completely region free for the games. The little guys like Oppo and Criterion (who dare not risk pissing off the gargantuan Sony) err on the side of caution. But even Sony is inconsistent.

It's been my experience that Disney disks are region locked.

Old 12-21-2010, 02:54 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 633 Post(s)
Liked: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSTNFAN View Post

I wll be buying mine as soon as the mod is available. What were the top sites to get the 83 mod?

http://www.bluraychip.dk/

-Bill
Old 12-21-2010, 03:02 PM
AVS Special Member

I heard the cheap insignia players can be region free. yea you heard me. that peice of crap of a player can be made into region free.

Jacob
Old 12-21-2010, 03:04 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 566 Post(s)
Liked: 983
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

http://www.bluraychip.dk/

-Bill

And there was a post earlier saying these guys already have their mod for the 93 ready and are just awaiting delivery of a production release BDP-93 so they can double check it before they start selling it.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Old 12-21-2010, 03:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 368
Just got my 93 and went home for a long lunch to swap out my trusty Pany BD55. I got it set up and tested a couple movies but have some questions.

Can I stream music from my iTunes library/laptop? If so how? I could not get it to find my laptop but I was rushing.

I'm running the HDMI 1 to my Denon 988. I noticed an immediate improvement in SQ from the discs I tested (and no hand shake issues) but the improvement in PQ was marginal IMO. I tested Inception and Avatar on BD and Suspiria and Session 9 on DVD. Running it through my receiver am I not benefiting from the Qdeo?

Finally, I did not see an option to program a code for my TV and or receiver to the oppo remote?

Any feedback would be much appreciated

My Rig

Kenobi's 31 Days of Horror:

Old 12-21-2010, 03:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I've also confirmed via email these guys will have mod chip available mid Jan 2011 and it will b eregion for BD and DVD

http://gattiweb.com/bluraymod.html
Old 12-21-2010, 03:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacob305 View Post

i heard the cheap insignia players can be region free. Yea you heard me. That peice of crap of a player can be made into region free.

Jacob

LMAO ROTFl

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
Old 12-21-2010, 03:24 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cipher View Post

Here's the list of items I just sent to Oppo. ...

2) Not all music on my external hard drive is showing up in the Audio browser. I have an external Seagate hard drive connected via USB that contains over 100 folders with over 10000 FLAC files. Interestingly, it looks like all the folders are displayed, but many of the audio files inside the folders aren't showing up in the browser.

I sent this email to Oppo yesterday:
Configuration:
BDP-93 HDMI 1 to Denon 3808ci HDMI to Mitsubishi 73833
Seagate 1 TB Extreme powered HD where I have over 5,000 songs in FLAC format. It is formatted in NTFS and connected with USB to back port.

When I access these FLAC files on the Seagate, they are not in alphabetical order which makes it difficult to locate an album. Also, I have all jazz in a folder with each group/artist having their own folder and within that folder, all of their albums (I do this with classical, country, etc. genres). When I open the jazz folder and then an artist (e.g., Fourplay) there are no albums in the sub-folder. I've checked the HD on a PC and everything shows up properly.

They responded with this in less than 4 hours (on a day when they released BDP-93 firmware, announced BDP-93 general availability and the BDP-95; must have been a wild day but they were still incredibly responsive)

"The player does not currently support alphabetical numerical sorting. This is something that we will be addressing in a future firmware release.

How many folders deep in the drive are the files which are not showing up?

How many files and folders are on the drive prior to the folder which is not showing any files? For example, you have Folders A B and C and nothing in C is showing up. In Folder A you have 1000 songs, in Folder B you have 2500 songs, and Folder C has 1500 songs."

I replied: When I go 4 folders deep, I see no albums. At 3 folders, no problem - all the songs are there and play fine.

Here's what the structure looks like when I have missing albums:
Root directory of HD
- 'My FLAC Music' there are 5,790 songs in this folder
-- 'Jazz' there are 671 songs in this folder
--- 'Fourplay' there are 8 albums, 86 songs on HD
---- no folders (albums) showing

It appears the work around is not to have sub-categories of genres that go 4 deep. If there is going to be a fix in a future firmware release, I won't redo the HD structure.

Dan
Oppo BDP-83 EAP - 1st 300
Old 12-21-2010, 03:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
I've also confirmed via email these guys will have mod chip available mid Jan 2011 and it will b eregion for BD and DVD

Excuse my ignorance for not knowing much
about this kind of stuff....

Will this be a chip that can be purchased and
installed by the owner?

From past experience how much do these mods
tend to cost?

Also, can most idiots (like myself) easily install
these in the players with no difficulty?
Old 12-21-2010, 03:40 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi View Post

Can I stream music from my iTunes library/laptop? If so how? I could not get it to find my laptop but I was rushing.

You need a DLNA server somewhere. The files must be in one of the supported formats. See the FAQ for a list.

Quote:
I'm running the HDMI 1 to my Denon 988. I noticed an immediate improvement in SQ from the discs I tested (and no hand shake issues) but the improvement in PQ was marginal IMO. I tested Inception and Avatar on BD and Suspiria and Session 9 on DVD. Running it through my receiver am I not benefiting from the Qdeo?

You won't see huge improvements on Blu-ray, unless something was seriously broken on the old player. Have you used a calibration disc?

Quote:
Finally, I did not see an option to program a code for my TV and or receiver to the oppo remote?

I'm not following you there. You want the OPPO remote to control your TV and receiver? It won't do that.

-Bill
Old 12-21-2010, 03:52 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by diverdra View Post

"The player does not currently support alphabetical numerical sorting."

No alphabetical sorting ? This is ridiculous ! Then which sorting do they support ???
I'm also looking forward to using my future Oppo player for my thousands of FLAC files, but if there is no alphabetical sorting, tags, let alone a search function, how the hell can you manage?

They'd better fix that soon, I'm not an engineer, but I guess it cannot be that hard to apply alphabetical sorting of files and folders
Old 12-21-2010, 03:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diverdra View Post

When I go 4 folders deep, I see no albums. At 3 folders, no problem - all the songs are there and play fine.

Here's what the structure looks like when I have missing albums:
Root directory of HD
- 'My FLAC Music' there are 5,790 songs in this folder
-- 'Jazz' there are 671 songs in this folder
--- 'Fourplay' there are 8 albums, 86 songs on HD
---- no folders (albums) showing

It appears the work around is not to have sub-categories of genres that go 4 deep. If there is going to be a fix in a future firmware release, I won't redo the HD structure.

Unfortunately this has been a long standing "he said; she said" bug report with OPPO, as both myself and they have not been able to replicate this issue, though there are multiple reports of this population error.

As an example, my small 120GB drive I use for lugging around music does not exhibit this error. Here is my string:
Music
-MP3 (12,839 Files | 842 Folders)
--Jpop (3,951 Files | 314 Folders)
---Akino Araia (86 Files | 7 Folders)
----Furu Platinum (11 Files)
-----Sputnik.mp3

--Video-Games (1,730 Files | 64 Folders)
---Rez Game Sound Data (24 Files | 1 Folder)
----Original Soundtrack (10 Files)
-----P-Project (Transcemission).mp3

--Wipeout (32 Files)
---Messji Received.mp3
Old 12-21-2010, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 368
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

You need a DLNA server somewhere. The files must be in one of the supported formats. See the FAQ for a list.

You won't see huge improvements on Blu-ray, unless something was seriously broken on the old player. Have you used a calibration disc?

I'm not following you there. You want the OPPO remote to control your TV and receiver? It won't do that.

-Bill

Got it, thank you. The TV has been calibrated but not with the new player obviously, not sure if that matters. I've only owned Pany players and they allowed for some bare bones universal remote functions such as input selection and volume for the TV and mute/volume for the AVR.

Edit - Any recommendations for a DNLA server for Mac?

My Rig

Kenobi's 31 Days of Horror:

Old 12-21-2010, 03:58 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Thanks PannyGuy-
Then I guess I will look for a USB drive to hook-up. Should these be powered or not? I don't think manual addressed it.
-Dave
Old 12-21-2010, 03:59 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald Epstein View Post

Excuse my ignorance for not knowing much
about this kind of stuff....

Will this be a chip that can be purchased and
installed by the owner?

From past experience how much do these mods
tend to cost?

Also, can most idiots (like myself) easily install
these in the players with no difficulty?

Depending on where you get it from generally between 75 and 100 USD for a DIY kit but that applies to the BDP-83. There's no telling what the BDP-93 kit might cost. The BDP-83 JVB Digital mod was around before I saw BlurayChip.dk release their mod for the BDP-83. Personally, I wouldn't purchase a mod from anyone other than those companies. You can find the kits on eBay, as well, but why not purchase directly from the either of the mentioned companies? I just don't see the logic.

In the long run the BlurayChip.dk mod was slightly easier to install than the JVB Digital one simply due to design but both were insanely easy for the BDP-83. Time will tell if things are more complex with a BDP-93 mod. I don't know about anyone else but I sure as heck wouldn't ship my player to anyone to have them mod it requiring me to pay shipping and installation. No thanks.
Old 12-21-2010, 04:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michdys View Post

No alphabetical sorting ? This is ridiculous ! Then which sorting do they support ???

It seems like it reads based on the date that data was physically written to the device (Date Created) when using USB and eSATA. DLNA will have proper sorting as this is being generated by the Server, not by the player.

Quote:
They'd better fix that soon, I'm not an engineer, but I guess it cannot be that hard to apply alphabetical sorting of files and folders

And that is the danger of making comments when you don't know what is causing the errors.

The reason why there are sorting issues is that the player was not really designed to read indexes, so the player does it dynamically on the fly. This can cause population errors where contents are not displayed in proper order.

The new OS in the player will support more functionality (previous MTK solutions did absolutely no indexing, so they used to pull the data based on the physical location of the file on the disc (which is not governed by Date Created, Modified, or even directory hierarchy).
Old 12-21-2010, 04:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davehale View Post

Then I guess I will look for a USB drive to hook-up. Should these be powered or not? I don't think manual addressed it.

I recommend using externally powered drives (less draw on the USB interface) by any small drive which supports 1000mA and 5V power will potentially work with the player.
Old 12-21-2010, 04:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gene9p View Post

anyone try Toy Story 3 using LPCM over hdmi and find same sound problem in opening chapter that occurs in the 83 player?

Can anyone comment on this question?

Certainty and conviction are a sure sign you don't know what you're talking about! The world is not black and white, rather shades of grey!
Old 12-21-2010, 04:07 PM
AVS Special Member

what problem in the opening of toy story 3? I played it in bitstream with no problems.

Jacob
Old 12-21-2010, 04:24 PM

Ive been reading through this thread but cant seem to grasp how to stream FLAC files from computer to Oppo 93?
Old 12-21-2010, 04:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alma321 View Post

Ive been reading through this thread but cant seem to grasp how to stream FLAC files from computer to Oppo 93?

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1215071
Old 12-21-2010, 04:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi View Post

Got it, thank you. The TV has been calibrated but not with the new player obviously, not sure if that matters. I've only owned Pany players and they allowed for some bare bones universal remote functions such as input selection and volume for the TV and mute/volume for the AVR.

Edit - Any recommendations for a DNLA server for Mac?

Twonky works well on my mac, 30-day free trial.

Also, a Logitech Harmony universal remote would help you as well.
Old 12-21-2010, 04:33 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by alma321 View Post

You need a DLNA server on the computer.

-Bill
Old 12-21-2010, 04:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by ca1ore View Post

Can anyone comment on this question?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gene9p View Post
anyone try Toy Story 3 using LPCM over hdmi and find same sound problem in opening chapter that occurs in the 83 player?

this error has not thus far been seen on the -93.

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player