21Likes

post #361 of 27026 Old 11-25-2010, 01:44 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post

TS works. I've watched several TS files on the BDP-93 with the current firmware. More likely your file is corrupt and is stopping prematurely. Try downloading a replacement copy, or another sample, to see if the same issues exist.

Makaveli Tha Don's issue is that he can't even see the TS files on his NAS, not that they will not playback.

Hi Neuromancer,

Tried a couple of other samples. The samples play correctly when the file is MPEG-1/2 codec.

The initial sample that does not appear to play when using H264 MPEG-4 codec.

Makaveli, you could possibly try PS3 Media Server to see if you get any different results. It seemed to play MPEG1/2 .ts file with PS3MS and the synology NAS. Another possibility is how 'deep' the file is in the directory tree. I observed an issue with the USB and NTFS where the files did not appear after 3 directories deep. Maybe try copying a .TS file to the root folder of your NAS share temporarily to see if it makes a difference.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 27026 Old 11-25-2010, 04:25 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 358
got my shipment yesterday: very nice unit

The front panel USB port is skillfully hidden!!

Mark

(my opinion only)
post #363 of 27026 Old 11-25-2010, 06:13 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by petemcn View Post

My 93 should be arriving next week. How long should it take for Middle Atlantic to make up a rack shelf specific to the 93?

not sure when it will be available but in the meantime the Middle Atlantic RSH-4A rackshelf for the OPPO BDP-83 works pretty well
post #364 of 27026 Old 11-25-2010, 06:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by greinstein View Post

I pulled out the manual for my Pioneer vsx-d606s--only 2 rca plug input or digital ac-3/pcm input. I think HDMI to tv and digital from tv to receiver is the best I can get.

Too bad.
I'm sure you would enjoy the improved sound of the lossless audio codecs.

At least you know what component to replace next.

Tom

"You can have my remote when you pry it from my cold dead fingers" tngiloy
Anthem D2v;Anthem A5;Golden Ear Aon3,SuperCenter XL,SuperSat3;SVS SB13 Plus x 2;Oppo BDP-103D;Ayre CX-7eMP;Panasonic plasma; Dish Hopper;PS Audio Power Plant 5- Subject to change without prior notification.
post #365 of 27026 Old 11-25-2010, 07:13 AM
Advanced Member

I'm wondering how much flexibility there is when setting up hdmi1 and hdmi2 out.
Can I set hdmi1 to output 1080p/24 auto and hdmi2 to send video in 'source direct' ?

Tom

Anthem D2v;Anthem A5;Golden Ear Aon3,SuperCenter XL,SuperSat3;SVS SB13 Plus x 2;Oppo BDP-103D;Ayre CX-7eMP;Panasonic plasma; Dish Hopper;PS Audio Power Plant 5- Subject to change without prior notification.
post #366 of 27026 Old 11-25-2010, 07:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by tngiloy View Post

Can I set hdmi1 to output 1080p/24 auto and hdmi2 to send video in 'source direct' ?

Tom

No.
post #367 of 27026 Old 11-25-2010, 08:34 AM

Liked: 11
Can anyone play these high bitrate MKV clips from the link below?:

http://forums.plexapp.com/index.php/...e-earth-movie/

When I try to play even the lowest bitrate version of this MKV on the 93, the screen just goes blank for the duration of the movie. I'm serving the file via hardwired gigabit ethernet from a Synology 210j NAS.

The 93 also won't play any of my FLAC audio files on this same NAS. They show up fine, but when I go to play one, it just cycles through all the files in that directory (trying to play them all), but never produces any audio.

I've sent an email to Oppo, but I just thought I'd check to see if anyone has resolved these same issues.

Thanks
post #368 of 27026 Old 11-25-2010, 08:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

Too bad.

Tom

AFAIK, almost all TVs will not pass "digital" signals from an HDMI input back out via the TV's coax/TosLink - only from the on board tuner.
post #369 of 27026 Old 11-25-2010, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_phew View Post

Can anyone play these high bitrate MKV clips from the link below?:

http://forums.plexapp.com/index.php/...e-earth-movie/

When I try to play even the lowest bitrate version of this MKV on the 93, the screen just goes blank for the duration of the movie. I'm serving the file via hardwired gigabit ethernet from a Synology 210j NAS.

The 93 also won't play any of my FLAC audio files on this same NAS. They show up fine, but when I go to play one, it just cycles through all the files in that directory (trying to play them all), but never produces any audio.

Could not get the '20' or the '40' bird .mkv file to play correctly using either USB or NAS. Remained on the Oppo screen and provided the time counter incrementing.

For the .flac files, which firmware are you using on your synology? A DS409 with v3.0-1337 is working fine below 96K sample for my system. I have the 'enable transcoder - .flac/ape' option selected in the synology NAS control panel FWIW, though assume that it is not required to transcode since it seems to play the .flac natively.
post #370 of 27026 Old 11-25-2010, 09:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck05 View Post

AFAIK, almost all TVs will not pass "digital" signals from an HDMI input back out via the TV's coax/TosLink - only from the on board tuner.

I was saying he needs to get a new avr or pre/pro that will allow him to use the hdmi or analog outs from the 93 to get DTS-MA, etc., lossless audio.
His only option now is lossy audio from the 93's optical or coax digital outs.

He is still able to enjoy good 5.1 sound this way.
With hdmi or '6 ch' in on his receiver he would be able to experience the full blu-ray experiece of video and better lossless audio.

Tom

post #371 of 27026 Old 11-25-2010, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevo View Post

I have the 'enable transcoder - .flac/ape' option selected in the synology NAS control panel FWIW, though assume that it is not required to transcode since it seems to play the .flac natively.

Enabling transcoder allows the 93 to play these files, although now they show up as WAV on the 93. I assume this transcoding doesn't hurt the audio quality in any way, right? Like you said though, the 93 should be able to play the native FLAC (they are only 16/44.1).

Thanks for the tip Stevo
post #372 of 27026 Old 11-25-2010, 09:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

No.

O.K.
How about 1080p/24 out of hdmi1 and 480i or 480p from hdmi2 ?

Tom

BTW- many of the questions I am asking could be answered with a pdf manual. I'm a little disapointed that there is not an online manual yet available for the 93. It would help people make a decision to buy or not, and allow buyers waiting for their unit to plan their set-up.
I was part of the Oppo 83 EAP and there was an online manual available for that.
Just saying.

post #373 of 27026 Old 11-25-2010, 09:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

TS works. I've watched several TS files on the BDP-93 with the current firmware. More likely your file is corrupt and is stopping prematurely. Try downloading a replacement copy, or another sample, to see if the same issues exist.

Makaveli Tha Don's issue is that he can't even see the TS files on his NAS, not that they will not playback.

I dropped tversity and started using wild media server, and they work just fine with wild media server. It must just have been that my media server didn't know that the device could handle .ts files.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #374 of 27026 Old 11-25-2010, 10:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

O.K.
How about 1080p/24 out of hdmi1 and 480i or 480p from hdmi2 ?

Tom

No.
Quote:

BTW- many of the questions I am asking could be answered with a pdf manual. I'm a little disapointed that there is not an online manual yet available for the 93. It would help people make a decision to buy or not, and allow buyers waiting for their unit to plan their set-up.
I was part of the Oppo 83 EAP and there was an online manual available for that.
Just saying.

There is a manual being distributed with the players. An online manual will not be available till the player is released.
post #375 of 27026 Old 11-25-2010, 10:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_phew View Post

FLAC playback is not working via UPnP/DNLA in the current firmware, only via USB. For the time being your DNLA server would need to transcode to WAV or LPCM.
post #376 of 27026 Old 11-25-2010, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Got my 93 yesterday.
Hookup and Setup went smooth.
Played a couple of BD movies, StarTrek, Transformers...
very nice.
Quick load times, nice build quality, nice front panel display, etc...
But an issue popped up when I tried to play SACD via DSD output.
I get no signal to my Onkyo 5008 until I switch the 93 to output
SACD as PCM. Very strange and no such issue with my 83.
I've sent a email to OPPO............

DreamCatcher

StayThristyMyFriends
post #377 of 27026 Old 11-25-2010, 10:37 AM

I was thinking of buying a new 2TB external drive to backup my bluray discs, but not sure if I should go with one which has an eSATA port or just USB. Can anyone in the know please list the pros & cons of using eSATA vs USB on the 93.
post #378 of 27026 Old 11-25-2010, 10:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

I think HDMI to tv and digital from tv to receiver is the best I can get.

Quote:

I was saying he needs to get a new avr or pre/pro that will allow him to use the hdmi or analog outs from the 93 to get DTS-MA, etc., lossless audio.
His only option now is lossy audio from the 93's optical or coax digital outs.

He is still able to enjoy good 5.1 sound this way.
With hdmi or '6 ch' in on his receiver he would be able to experience the full blu-ray experience of video and better lossless audio.

Tom

I meant to reply/comment to greinstein as his approach will not work on most TVs. And I agree with you he needs a new HDMI receiver or at least one with multi-channel in ......
post #379 of 27026 Old 11-25-2010, 10:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Whenever posting these kind of observations, it will be helpful if you can state which HDMI output you are using, what your HDMI setting is set to under Audio Format Setup, and the receiver you are using.

You will only mess with Speaker Configuration if you are using the analog outputs for audio. HDMI is not affected by these settings.

Additionally, you should only mess with the Crossover or Trims if your receive can't do analog bass management or speaker adjustments.

I believe this is not working yet, but if it is, the only settings which will show an difference are settings which affect the Marvell Qdeo only. This pretty much means on the Sharpness, Noise Reduction, and Color Enhancement settings. All other settings are handled by the decoder solution, so you can't show a difference between standard processing and enhanced processing (as prescribed by the end user).

Changing to HDMI 2 out fixed the speaker pops at chapter skips.

post #380 of 27026 Old 11-25-2010, 10:55 AM

Quote:

Too bad.

Tom

Yup
post #381 of 27026 Old 11-25-2010, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkbryant View Post

no but it makes a mean pumpkin pie!!

rotflmao
post #382 of 27026 Old 11-25-2010, 11:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck05 View Post

I meant to reply/comment to greinstein as his approach will not work on most TVs. And I agree with you he needs a new HDMI receiver or at least one with multi-channel in ......

Duck05,
I misread greinstein's post first post. I assumed he was going from the Oppo 93 to his receiver with the coax digital. I agree with you- going from the Oppo by hdmi to the TV, then coax from the TV to the receiver may not work. Even if it does, it would probably be better to go from the 93 with hdmi to the TV and from the 93 with coax digital to his receiver. I guess I owe you a back.

Tom

post #383 of 27026 Old 11-25-2010, 11:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Yup

Feel free to tell your significant other that its my fault you need to buy a new receiver.

Tom

post #384 of 27026 Old 11-25-2010, 11:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

No..

So, is this because video needs to be 720p or above to send lossless audio, or is the 93 only able to send the same video setting from hdmi1 and hdmi2?

Please feel free to give a more detailed answer than yes/no.

Quote:

There is a manual being distributed with the players. An online manual will not be available till the player is released

I realize this.
I think Oppo should reconsider their decision and release the manual on line now.
It would save time for Oppo customer service and the beta testers from answering questions from owners who haven't received their delivery and want to plan their settings and connections, and for potential owners who want to know if the 93 will work in their systems.

Tom

post #385 of 27026 Old 11-25-2010, 11:46 AM

So I have my -93 on the way.
I need help, please.
Right now I have a NAD-773 which has no HDMI.
What would be a good option in a new receiver that puts out good power? Would I be better off with an older model? The chip is pretty good in the OPPO so I really need something for the power and HDMI right? Any ideas from you pro's would really help. Things have gone past my knowledge level.
post #386 of 27026 Old 11-25-2010, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamCatcher View Post

But an issue popped up when I tried to play SACD via DSD output.
I get no signal to my Onkyo 5008 until I switch the 93 to output
SACD as PCM. Very strange and no such issue with my 83.

DreamCatcher

This has been a known problem with HDMI-1 on some Pioneer A/V Receivers via MCH. 2-Channel is okay. The issue with SACD> DSD via your Onkyo is the first I've heard. Does SACD> DSD via HDMI-2 work okay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewPannyGuy View Post

I was thinking of buying a new 2TB external drive to backup my bluray discs, but not sure if I should go with one which has an eSATA port or just USB. Can anyone in the know please list the pros & cons of using eSATA vs USB on the 93.

For me, it was harder to find the right external hard drive that featured a eSATA port. eSATA is supposed to work faster but I cannot confirm this with the BDP-93 because I don't have an eSATA capable drive. If you can find a great deal on a USB 2.0 drive, jump on it. USB 2.0 is plenty fast when connected directly to the player and you should not encounter any problems with having enough speed for your files.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indianspringsaz View Post

So I have my -93 on the way.
I need help, please.
Right now I have a NAD-773 which has no HDMI.
What would be a good option in a new receiver that puts out good power? Would I be better off with an older model? The chip is pretty good in the OPPO so I really need something for the power and HDMI right? Any ideas from you pro's would really help. Things have gone past my knowledge level.

Will send you a PM.

OPPO BETA GROUP
post #387 of 27026 Old 11-25-2010, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch57 View Post

Have all the issues with SACD playback been resolved with the new player (Ticks, pops, and freezes)?

Anyone...?
post #388 of 27026 Old 11-25-2010, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewPannyGuy View Post

either one will work equally well and both have enough bandwidth to stream bluray folders. once the firmware is fixed to allow AVCHD folders to play...in the meantime you can just play the base movie .m2ts file from the "STREAM" folder. now if its a movie by say disney where they make the movie into about 20 .m2ts files then you will have to use a tool like tsmuxer to piece them together into one movie.
post #389 of 27026 Old 11-25-2010, 02:19 PM

Liked: 12
I have both the 83 and 93 in my projection room. On the 83 I can bounce the remote signals off the screen to operate the player in the back of the room. On the 93, I need to point the remote directly at the player. Both remotes seem identical. I have setting 1 for the 83 and remote setting 2 for the 93.

Any ideas why I must point the remote directly at the 93?
post #390 of 27026 Old 11-25-2010, 02:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Mathus View Post

I have both the 83 and 93 in my projection room. On the 83 I can bounce the remote signals off the screen to operate the player in the back of the room. On the 93, I need to point the remote directly at the player. Both remotes seem identical. I have setting 1 for the 83 and remote setting 2 for the 93.

Any ideas why I must point the remote directly at the 93?

I control mine with a harmony one and an IR blaster, and I noticed that the 93's IR isn't quite as strong as the 83's is. Sometimes button presses don't register, and I need to hit the button again.

edit: I should note that I went into my harmony set up and increased the IR signal on the 93, and that seemed to fix the problem. But my point was, that if you feel that the IR isn't quite as responsive as the 83's, I personally don't think you are imagining things.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page