Official OPPO BDP-93 Owner's Thread - Page 139 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 56Likes

post #4141 of 27299 Old 01-05-2011, 10:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quick question....I currently have the Oppo BDP-83. Its in brand new condition. I have someone that has offered me $400 for it.
Here is my question....Is the Oppo BDP-93 worth the extra $100 or should I stick with the 83? I was thinking about gettonmg the Roku HD box so I could get on line but the 93 may help solve that. I have the Pioneer SC07 receiver and the Pioneer Elite 151. Thanks all!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4142 of 27299 Old 01-05-2011, 10:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welshdog View Post

Probably any of the HD Tivos are going to give you top notch Netflix playback. I know mine do. In my house the Netflix playback on the 93 is unwatchable with the current state of affairs regarding the inferior streams being fed to the 93 (allegedly).

To clear up my previous statement (as Neuromancer pointed out), Oppo has acknowledged differences in quality of the appearance of Netflix content (some content) between the PS3 and the 93. They have NOT verified that it is a completely separate stream coming from Netflix. Again, sorry for my incorrect reading of their original response to me. Currently, there are quality differences though, that much is true. If you use HDMI2 as the output, a lot of the issues seem to be cleared up (what I'm doing currently as they investigate).
post #4143 of 27299 Old 01-06-2011, 12:45 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Does anyone know if there is a way to hit a button for subtitles and instantly have them display in English, instead of hitting "subtitles" on the remote and THEN having to select the language?
post #4144 of 27299 Old 01-06-2011, 12:50 AM

OK I solved most of my flicker problem. I had my HDMI 1 output going to my Denon 3808 receiver and the HDMI 2 output going to the JVC RS-50 projector for 3D playback, since my receiver is not HDMI 1.4. I was getting a ton of flicker and terrible HDMI connection handshakes with 3D.

I now have my HDMI 1 output going directly to the projector instead of HDMI 2, and took the HDMI-2 output to go to my receiver for the sound. The flickering is pretty much gone, so for me, it was the HMDI 2 ourput on the Oppo. I will see if it continues to be "gone".
post #4145 of 27299 Old 01-06-2011, 01:19 AM

Liked: 14
The 3d signal is not passing through my new Yamaha RX-A3000 is this purely the receivers fault or can it be addressed by the 93? I know I can use the dual out function on the Oppo, but swapping cables for multiple sources sucks. That is why I wanted a new HDMI reciever.

Richard
post #4146 of 27299 Old 01-06-2011, 01:29 AM

bluraychip.dk is now showing their region free mod available for shipping beginning January 26. Price is $89.
post #4147 of 27299 Old 01-06-2011, 01:51 AM

I'm considering importing a 93 to Australia, one thing I would really like to know is how the media player capability compares to a dedicated player like the WDTV live.

Is the 93 as good as the WDTV functionally and how is it at accessing media from a NAS.

Thanks
post #4148 of 27299 Old 01-06-2011, 04:57 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked: 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garincha View Post

I'm considering importing a 93 to Australia, one thing I would really like to know is how the media player capability compares to a dedicated player like the WDTV live.

Is the 93 as good as the WDTV functionally and how is it at accessing media from a NAS.

Thanks

We're hearing a lot of complaints from people whose primary interest is in media player functionality. The machine is primarily a disc player with some media file extras.

NAS is supported by DLNA on the NAS or elsewhere on the network.

-Bill
post #4149 of 27299 Old 01-06-2011, 04:59 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mntwister View Post

Does anyone know if there is a way to hit a button for subtitles and instantly have them display in English, instead of hitting "subtitles" on the remote and THEN having to select the language?

There is a language default in Setup -> Playback Setup -> Language -> Subtitle Language. It's been a long time since I played with that and I don't if it would give you what you want, or if functionality is the same for DVD and BR, or for all BR.

-Bill
post #4150 of 27299 Old 01-06-2011, 06:41 AM

Connect up Oppo 93 to my Harmon Kardon AVR 255. I connect from Oppo (HDMI 2)to HDMI 3(AVR255) of AVR 255, i can only select source on the AVR to HDMI 3 for both video and audio input on the AVR.

Next, I connect HDMI 1 of Oppo to HDMI 3 of my Samsung TV.

When i run Dark Knight Blue Ray and select source on my AVR as HDMI 3(AVR255) as audio is passed through HDMI 3(AVR255) on the AVR 255 too, there was intermittent audio from the amp. Sometimes no audio source was detected on the AVR255

Video output on the TV was ok. When I select my TV to HDMI 1 where my AVR 255 video output is connected to, the audio source will be ok.

My AVR 255 has 3 HDMI input and a single HDMI output to my TV. This single HDMI output is connected to HDMI 1(TV).

I notice if I remove the single HDMI output from the AVR255 amp to the TV, the issue will be resolved, this seems to be a bug.

How can I solve this audio problem so that I can get HDMI 1 (Oppo) for video and HDMI 2(Oppo) for audio?
post #4151 of 27299 Old 01-06-2011, 07:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garincha View Post

Thanks

No, the 93 will never support .iso files, for example. I have both and don't expect the 93 to match the WDTV as a media player. The 93 is, however, much better than any other BD player for streaming. If you have your rips in mkv, the Oppo will do the job. Another reason to keep my WDTV is the fact that I can transfer media to the attached USB HDD from a PC, using the network. You can't manage a HDD hooked to the 93 from a PC.

Standard Definition Causes Lung Cancer, Heart Disease, Emphysema, And May Complicate Pregnancy
post #4152 of 27299 Old 01-06-2011, 07:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by plasmaguy11 View Post

Quick question....I currently have the Oppo BDP-83. Its in brand new condition. I have someone that has offered me $400 for it.
Here is my question....Is the Oppo BDP-93 worth the extra $100 or should I stick with the 83? I was thinking about gettonmg the Roku HD box so I could get on line but the 93 may help solve that. I have the Pioneer SC07 receiver and the Pioneer Elite 151. Thanks all!

The Roku is a more flexible full featured media streamer, so if that is your only reason to buy the 93, spend the $100 on a Roku instead.

Build Thread: "Nathan's Theater in Search of....".
post #4153 of 27299 Old 01-06-2011, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PugetsoundHD View Post

Hi, Hyfi, You can buy 3 pairs of stereo cables from Monoprice (an AVS sponsor) for less than $12 or so including shipping. Should have them in hand in 3-4 days. Then sit back and listen.

Under dribbly Seattle skies, Gill

Thanks. The only issue that creates and why I should have gotten an 83, is that I also want to use the player for music through my main 2ch rig using the FR/FL outputs to my VAC Preamp.

I will play around with all possibilities.

Rotel 1072 > VAC CLA 1 MKII > Counterpoint NPS-400 > Clearfield Continental Speakers via Synsergistic Research Cabling
post #4154 of 27299 Old 01-06-2011, 07:50 AM

Man...this player is the S**T. It's so much better than all my other BD players in sound, picture and load speed. Will network it tonight!!
post #4155 of 27299 Old 01-06-2011, 07:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDKing2 View Post

The 3d signal is not passing through my new Yamaha RX-V3000 is this purely the receivers fault or can it be addressed by the 93? I know I can use the dual out function on the Oppo, but swapping cables for multiple sources sucks. That is why I wanted a new HDMI reciever.

Richard

Good receiver but does that Yamaha have HDMI capability? I thought it pre-dates HDMI, in which case there is no way it is going to pass 3D hdmi over hdmi, of course....

post #4156 of 27299 Old 01-06-2011, 08:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan_h View Post

The Roku is a more flexible full featured media streamer, so if that is your only reason to buy the 93, spend the $100 on a Roku instead.

Well, I would say that the Roku should be classified as a "third party content streamer". It doesn't do ANY streaming of personal media stored on a DLNA server at all, which I think is normally under the definition of "media streamer". Maybe I'm wrong about that though (whether "media streamer" normally included local content). If anyone is looking for a full featured device that does both third party streaming and local media streaming, then they'd want to look at something like the Boxee or simlar devices. However, those are in a different price range than the Roku.
post #4157 of 27299 Old 01-06-2011, 08:19 AM
yin

Liked: 11
Hi Guys,
what are the pro and cons of Oppo 83 and Oppo93 compared to each other?
post #4158 of 27299 Old 01-06-2011, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmeader View Post

Well, I would say that the Roku should be classified as a "third party content streamer". It doesn't do ANY streaming of personal media stored on a DLNA server at all, which I think is normally under the definition of "media streamer". Maybe I'm wrong about that though (whether "media streamer" normally included local content). If anyone is looking for a full featured device that does both third party streaming and local media streaming, then they'd want to look at something like the Boxee or simlar devices. However, those are in a different price range than the Roku.

That's a good clarification. Since the OP wanted to "get online" I was only addressing their interest in internet content media streaming. Clearly the Roku is better than the Oppo in that area at present.

post #4159 of 27299 Old 01-06-2011, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDKing2 View Post

The 3d signal is not passing through my new Yamaha RX-V3000 is this purely the receivers fault or can it be addressed by the 93? I know I can use the dual out function on the Oppo, but swapping cables for multiple sources sucks. That is why I wanted a new HDMI reciever.

Richard

Being a Yamaha guy I would say you either mistyped your receiver or you're messing with us...

The V3000 is much like my older DSP-A1. Great receiver yet as nathan_h stated: no HDMI.

I'm thinking you have the new "RX-A3000."

Check your receiver HDMI and processing settings. Start with ensuring it is set for "pass through." I'm still loving my Yamaha Z11 regardless of it's 1.3 status..

Cheers

Love DIY
post #4160 of 27299 Old 01-06-2011, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sango View Post

I updated my player finally since I was on vacation when I got the email notifcation from Oppo about the firmware update. Seems to work better so far for me.

I tested MP4 which used to fail which work fine.

I happen to run into a audio not supported for FLAC which I'm a bit stumped on! The video itself plays fine thou without the audio present. Maybe the MediaInfo clue may give the answer - for now I can only watch this on computer.

Is there a work around I could make the player play with sound in the video for the above in the meantime? Oppo has told me FLAC support is being worked on in MKV so it is not currently supported.
post #4161 of 27299 Old 01-06-2011, 09:06 AM
Advanced Member

I received my BDP-93 this week and got everything hooked up. My configuration is pretty simple. I did the firmware update from the included disk and ran through the setup.

Everything I have tried on the player so far has worked perfectly. The BD load times are incredibly fast compared to my Panasonic unit. I have some music and video files on an unRAID server running Twonky and it works fine. Now, I don't have the multi-thousands of files like some do, but for my multi-hundreds of files (not flac) it is working just fine. I also have an external USB hard drive with around 300 video files of various types. These all play without issue and the PQ is excellent compared with my HTPC.

One question - I would like to be able to use the network music player function without having to power up my projector. I tried connecting a PC monitor to HDMI2 using an HDMI-to-DVI cable. I didn't get a picture right away, so I disconnected. Any thoughts about the best way to do this? I am connected to a Denon AVR from HDMI1 for the primary display.

Thanks,

DE

Calvin & Hobbes - Greatest. Comic. Ever.
post #4162 of 27299 Old 01-06-2011, 09:38 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedwards View Post

I received my BDP-93 this week and got everything hooked up. My configuration is pretty simple. I did the firmware update from the included disk and ran through the setup.

Everything I have tried on the player so far has worked perfectly. The BD load times are incredibly fast compared to my Panasonic unit. I have some music and video files on an unRAID server running Twonky and it works fine. Now, I don't have the multi-thousands of files like some do, but for my multi-hundreds of files (not flac) it is working just fine. I also have an external USB hard drive with around 300 video files of various types. These all play without issue and the PQ is excellent compared with my HTPC.

One question - I would like to be able to use the network music player function without having to power up my projector. I tried connecting a PC monitor to HDMI2 using an HDMI-to-DVI cable. I didn't get a picture right away, so I disconnected. Any thoughts about the best way to do this? I am connected to a Denon AVR from HDMI1 for the primary display.

Thanks,

DE

HDMI won't work for protected content unless the DVI port on the display has HDCP. Some do and some don't. I'm uncertain if the Setup and browser functions are supposed to work; it's been a long time since I tried that with earlier players.

Do you get any results if you cycle through the output resolutions?

Is there any other input on the monitor?

-Bill
post #4163 of 27299 Old 01-06-2011, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atodzia View Post

As far as sensitivity and the number of times I sometimes have to press a button to get the player to recognize it, the Oppo remote is one of the worst. I have had the player for a few weeks and it hasn't gotten better with use. Is this normal for Oppo remotes? I am not sure if it is the remote or the receiver end on the player.

I had similar issues with my remote. I contacted Oppo and they changed the remote and I dont have any issues with the newer one. The old one was surely broken.
post #4164 of 27299 Old 01-06-2011, 09:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by yin View Post

Hi Guys,
what are the pro and cons of Oppo 83 and Oppo93 compared to each other?

If you use the "search within a thread" engine (top of each page on the right side) you'll find the past posts addressing this topic. Use the term "compare" or "compared" or "comparing" as individual searches.

"Retired" AVS Moderator
Feeler: I'm thinking of selling my JTR Triple 8HT's Let me know if you are interested?
For Sale: ACS PlanarTrap (freestanding acoustic panel) ($300/pair)[/B]:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/209-au...tic-panel.html
post #4165 of 27299 Old 01-06-2011, 09:58 AM
CHG
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeigh View Post

bluraychip.dk is now showing their region free mod available for shipping beginning January 26. Price is $89.

Looks like this is when it will go on sale, as well. Unless they have already sold out of their initial allotment. "Available for sale from Jan. 26".

I could not actually place an order, yet.
post #4166 of 27299 Old 01-06-2011, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for all the replies regarding my quest for the absolute best Netflix streaming device at any cost.

It appears from these comment and other forums that the PS3 is the best for now in both picture quality and audio quality, with the Roku being a close second. With the PS3 I also get a blue ray player, which is a nice benefit.

Next question: Does the Oppo 93 play blue ray disks with better PQ than the PS3? I wouldn't think there is much video processing necessary with 1080p24 source material other than MPEG decode. I don't believe the Oppo is doing any scaling or deinterlacing in this case, right? What benefit does the Oppo's mighty VP add to 1080p24 BR playback? Does the PS3 even offer 24 fps playback?

I think I am resisting the PS3 a little because it still looks like a kids gaming console rather than serious AV gear. Maybe I should get over this if it is really the best in both Netflix and BR. I can probably easily resell it in 6 months if/when Oppo improves its FW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmeader View Post

Fair enough, but if you're limiting your Netflix viewing to their HD streams, then obviously it's not the same situation as someone for whom Netflix streaming is very important.

Hence, once again, my recommendation that for someone who holds Netflix streaming as a high priority (HD, SD and interface all considered in the equation), a cheaper device makes more sense at the moment if that's your prime focus. Buy the Oppo because it's a good to great Blu-ray player, not because it can do Netflix HD well (which anything can... heh, except the Wii of course ).

post #4167 of 27299 Old 01-06-2011, 11:36 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpauls View Post

Next question: Does the Oppo 93 play blue ray disks with better PQ than the PS3? I wouldn't think there is much video processing necessary with 1080p24 source material other than MPEG decode. I don't believe the Oppo is doing any scaling or deinterlacing in this case, right?

That is correct.

Quote:

What benefit does the Oppo's mighty VP add to 1080p24 BR playback?

Very little. You could play with sharpness and noise reduction, but I don't. I don't keep up with the PS3; I recall it doesn't deinterlace 1080i sources or support 50hz content. There are other film fan features like subtitle shifting and zoom modes (still coming for BD-J titles).

-Bill
post #4168 of 27299 Old 01-06-2011, 11:48 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 567 Post(s)
Liked: 984
Quote:
Originally Posted by jingwei79 View Post

Connect up Oppo 93 to my Harmon Kardon AVR 255. I connect from Oppo (HDMI 2)to HDMI 3(AVR255) of AVR 255, i can only select source on the AVR to HDMI 3 for both video and audio input on the AVR.

Next, I connect HDMI 1 of Oppo to HDMI 3 of my Samsung TV.

When i run Dark Knight Blue Ray and select source on my AVR as HDMI 3(AVR255) as audio is passed through HDMI 3(AVR255) on the AVR 255 too, there was intermittent audio from the amp. Sometimes no audio source was detected on the AVR255

Video output on the TV was ok. When I select my TV to HDMI 1 where my AVR 255 video output is connected to, the audio source will be ok.

My AVR 255 has 3 HDMI input and a single HDMI output to my TV. This single HDMI output is connected to HDMI 1(TV).

I notice if I remove the single HDMI output from the AVR255 amp to the TV, the issue will be resolved, this seems to be a bug.

How can I solve this audio problem so that I can get HDMI 1 (Oppo) for video and HDMI 2(Oppo) for audio?

Give Oppo tech support a call with these details. They have some test firmware in hand which addresses a similar issue with other receivers that don't correctly handle their HDMI audio functions when a TV is connected. The key piece of info is that if you remove the TV output from the AVR things work. The fix for the other receivers may fix this issue for you as well. The fix will likely be in the next official firmware release, but tech support may be able to make it available to you sooner.

(Fun with HDMI! This is an example of a source device -- the Oppo -- having to do special coding to work around an HDMI function failure in a different device -- the AVR. There's way more of this going on then most users realize.)
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #4169 of 27299 Old 01-06-2011, 12:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

That is correct.

Very little. You could play with sharpness and noise reduction, but I don't. I don't keep up with the PS3; I recall it doesn't deinterlace 1080i sources or support 50hz content. There are other film fan features like subtitle shifting and zoom modes (still coming for BD-J titles).

-Bill

What he said. In addition, it USED to be the case that the PS3 couldn't output bitstream to AV Receivers, but that was fixed with the "Slim" redesign. That said, I still give the Oppo the edge with DVD content (even on the HDMI2 out that I'm presently using normally). The PS3's upconversion is pretty middle of the road. Plus, and this is the main reason I've finally abandoned the PS3 for media streaming and Blu-ray/DVD use, it's just too darn loud for me. Perhaps I've got a "bad one", but I can certainly hear the PS3's whirring fan when playing a Blu-ray (and especially a DVD, since the CPU is being used heavily for the upconversion that it's doing) from my sitting position about 10 feet away. But, I do tend to be more sensitive to noise than others sometimes. I originally owned an original PS3 (60GB model with the built in PS2 chip), but got so fed up with the noise from that one that I sold it for a pretty penny when the Slim model came out. While the Slim is quieter, it's not even CLOSE to quiet when compared to the Oppo. Simply put, the 93 has the quietest disc mechanism I've ever heard. From my sitting position it is completely silent, and I have to get within about 2 feet of it in a quiet room to hear anything at all. Of course, when there is no disc spinning, the 93 is 100% silent due to a design which uses zero fans.
post #4170 of 27299 Old 01-06-2011, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I also had the fat ps3 80gb. I sold it and got the slim. my new slim is very quiet as is the oppo 93. a least for me it is.
I would still vote the 93 as being a better player but with the ps3 being a close second. if you want netflix.. I would recommend the panasonic 65/85.

Jacob
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page