20Likes

post #451 of 27023 Old 11-26-2010, 08:40 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geof View Post

I have no problem with folks reporting issues in this thread. I want to know (I think many of us do). That's what this thread is for....but I guess that's rude to some folks. Might not want to report good news here then either. Or is the argument that only positive experiences should be posted here? Oppo did not prohibit posting (positive or negative) comments on internet forums in their terms of sale.

Most definitely, Oppo should be in the loop as well. They can't possibly test all the permutations of equipment that comes with a broad customer base. IMO, that's why they're selling these before the official release.

How is this player working out for 3D? I've seen few reports on that aspect (which is why I'm looking to upgrade from my -83).

I agree. Mine should come today but I think it's helpful to post issues here so that other users can verify or be aware. I don't think people should report problems here without notifying OPPO but I don't see anything like a ND that says you can't talk about it on an internet forum. As long as the purpose is to inform the community, I don't see how that should be a problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 27023 Old 11-26-2010, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 410
Seems like a few people are focused on the shortcomings of this yet to be finalized player. Since I am busy enjoying my 93 I will keep my post short, regarding pops etc with SACDs - zero - I did not post this sooner because many who said they never had this issue with the 83 were told they couldn't hear them. I can't hear them. I have been testing my player for two days and intended to keep going for the next few days. So far I am extremely pleased - I believe the 93 when it is done will end up being a significant upgrade from the 83. Besides the DSD issue the player is far less buggy than any new player I have bought (7 - Oppo, Sony, Panny, and LG). By the way I am bitstreaming out of HDMI 1 to a Pioneer SC-07 without issue ex the DSD which really doesn't matter given how Pioneer handles DSD. So far I really like the QDeo chip and what I can achieve with Netflix and DVDs with a few adjustments. Look forward to further refinement in this area by Oppo. Sorry - just had to put up a post that has one owner being very pleased so far.

Panasonic 60VT60 (cal by DNice)
Denon 5200 w/ Outlaw 2200 Amps (3)
Ascend Acoustics Sierra 2s F/R & Horizon w/ RAAL Center; Sierra 1s Surrounds; HTM-200s Heights and PSB S5 Rear Surrounds; Dual SVS subs
Oppo 103; Onkyo HD-DVD; Apple TV & Roku Stick
post #453 of 27023 Old 11-26-2010, 08:47 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Been using the 93 for a few days now and I'm ready to send it back. I'm using LPCM and it a crap shoot trying to get my processor to lock up. Can't enjoy any movie. It takes a few power off of the 93 to get it to work. I just put my 83 back in until they can fix this problem. Wow is the 93 super buggy.
post #454 of 27023 Old 11-26-2010, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtdking View Post

Been using the 93 for a few days now and I'm ready to send it back. I'm using LPCM and it a crap shoot trying to get my processor to lock up. Can't enjoy any movie. It takes a few power off of the 93 to get it to work. I just put my 83 back in until they can fix this problem. Wow is the 93 super buggy.

Did you send all your setup info to Oppo??

Why send it back when it's not final, and not wait for the final SW release?
post #455 of 27023 Old 11-26-2010, 08:51 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked: 864
I too would like to hear more comments from folks, positive or negative, about 3D from the 93.

What display are you using? Are you running the 3D video direct to the display or through an AVR, and if the later, what AVR are you using?

I get the impression that the Blu-Ray and HDMI specs for 3D may still be lacking in important areas (imagine that!) which means some decisions are being left to the content producers and chip/hardware engineers -- which means there's room for confusion and even incompatibility when different people invent different answers. But I don't know how much of a practical problem this is turning out to be.
-Bob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. -- Need personal consultation/training?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #456 of 27023 Old 11-26-2010, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Webslinger View Post

Are they PGS subtitles? So far, the BDP-93 does not appear to support them.

How can I tell? I encoded this with handbrake a long time ago and never pay close attention to the settings -- just use the presets.

Build Thread:
post #457 of 27023 Old 11-26-2010, 09:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geof View Post

How is this player working out for 3D? I've seen few reports on that aspect (which is why I'm looking to upgrade from my -83).

I've run every 3D disc through it I can find, although I have to admit there are a couple 3D titles I just refuse to watch.

In the current FW revision I can find no real issues and the player seems to be working great. I'll add one caveat: there are some real issues in the BD-3D authoring specs (vagueness and lack of clear definitions) that in some cases seem to result in discs being authored poorly. In some cases they are just not good quality in the first place. It's always important to understand that all issues with 3D playback quality are not the player's fault.

That said, the combo of the Oppo and my Panasonic VT25 plasma have thus far been impressive. I recommend the several IMAX titles for wow-factor. And if you can lay your hands on a copy of "How To Train Your Dragon 3D", do so.
post #458 of 27023 Old 11-26-2010, 09:14 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:

Would you like some help?

Which output are you using from the 93 and what settings are you using? Are you using the HDMI cable that came with the 93 (not that you have to, just asking for information)? Is there anything significant you can think of that's different in the settings you are using in the 93 compared to your 83? Which processor are you using? Are you also running the video through that processor, or do you have video cabled direct to your display?

Do give Oppo tech support a call. It's possible, of course that your particular unit has a hardware problem.

In the meantime, here are some experiments to try to see if we can isolate what's going wrong:

1) Set output resolution to 1080i (not 1080p and not auto -- again this is just for experiment)
2) Set HDMI color space to YCbCr 4:4:4 (not auto) for both outputs
3) Set HDMI Deep Color to OFF for both outputs
4) Set 3D to OFF
5) Set 1080p/24 to OFF
6) Set Secondary Audio to OFF
7) Set HDMI Audio LPCM (not auto)
8) Set HDMI CEC to OFF
9) Set networking to ethernet and disconnect the ethernet cable if you have one attached.
10) Set Firmware Notification, BD-Live, and My Network all to OFF.

Now, after setting those, as a last step erase Persistent Storage and then power off the player.

Disconnect any devices plugged into either USB port or to the eSATA port. Then disconnect the power cord for about 10 seconds. While the player is powered off, check that you are using HDMI 1 from the player to your processor and that HDMI 2 is disconnected.

Now power up and see if HDMI LPCM audio from HDMI 1 is working reliably. If not, power down and try the same with just HDMI 2 connected.

If HDMI LPCM is working reliably with these settings, try changing back to your preferred settings, one change at a time to see how far you can get before the problem returns.
--Bob

post #459 of 27023 Old 11-26-2010, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Rd, Are you running through an AVR or straight to the tv? I also have a vt25 and am awaiting my 93.

Perhaps I misremembered.

post #460 of 27023 Old 11-26-2010, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

I've run every 3D disc through it I can find, although I have to admit there are a couple 3D titles I just refuse to watch.

In the current FW revision I can find no real issues and the player seems to be working great. I'll add one caveat: there are some real issues in the BD-3D authoring specs (vagueness and lack of clear definitions) that in some cases seem to result in discs being authored poorly. In some cases they are just not good quality in the first place. It's always important to understand that all issues with 3D playback quality are not the player's fault.

That said, the combo of the Oppo and my Panasonic VT25 plasma have thus far been impressive. I recommend the several IMAX titles for wow-factor. And if you can lay your hands on a copy of "How To Train Your Dragon 3D", do so.

Thanks!
I'll be teaming the 93 up with a JVC RS-50 but I won't have the projector for a few more weeks. In the meantime my 93 will be delivered so I can at least try out BD and SD-DVD upscaling.

Geof
post #461 of 27023 Old 11-26-2010, 09:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by I WANT MORE View Post

Rd, Are you running through an AVR or straight to the tv? I also have a vt25 and am awaiting my 93.

HDMI-1 direct to plasma, HDMI-2 to AVR then to plasma.
post #462 of 27023 Old 11-26-2010, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan_h View Post

How can I tell? I encoded this with handbrake a long time ago and never pay close attention to the settings -- just use the presets.

Given the following source, it seems unlikely you created PGS subtitles.

I think support for PGS is in development for Handbrake: http://forum.handbrake.fr/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=16659

http://trac.handbrake.fr/wiki/Sources

"Please note, PGS subtitles are not currently supported. "
post #463 of 27023 Old 11-26-2010, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:

Are you aware that this won't work with the BDP-93?

Why? Because it has a stereo plug end?
post #464 of 27023 Old 11-26-2010, 09:33 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by winston9332 View Post

Why? Because it has a stereo plug end?

I believe the answer is that the IR input of the 83 also provides power on its 3rd connector, which that remote IR sensor uses. That's why it has a stereo (3 connections) plug.

The IR input of the 93 does not.
--Bob

post #465 of 27023 Old 11-26-2010, 09:37 AM

On Robin Hood & The Black Knight I'm getting horizontal bars on either side of the picture. I've got the player set for 16:9 output. Oddly enough, the picture will display full screen for a while & then revert to the bars. The zoom feature doesn't work.

Here's my outdated & soon to be replaced equipment:

Yamaha RX-V800 receiver (Emotiva separates in a few weeks)
Panasonic TH-50PHD6 Plasma (60" Samsung or 58" Panasonic in a month or so)
Bose 5.1 speakers (don't hurt me on this... replacing with Maggies in several months)

The connections are all analog component, but the horizontal bars shouldn't be there.

Any suggestions before I report this to Oppo?
post #466 of 27023 Old 11-26-2010, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:

mtdking,

What other bugs have you come across and what is your processor? Also, what other media or functionality have you tried?

Willie

Pioneer Elite PRO-151FD

Zektor MAS7.1

Classé CA-2200/CA-5200

Oppo BDP-105, Denon DVD-5910CI, Cambridge 752BD, Cambridge 640C V2

Paradigm Signature S8, Paradigm Signature ADP1

Paradigm Signature ADP3, Paradigm Signature C5

REL R-505 Sub (2)

Oppo BDP-93, BDP-103D, Pioneer BDP-320

Sony BDP-S790

post #467 of 27023 Old 11-26-2010, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:

HDMI-1 direct to plasma, HDMI-2 to AVR then to plasma.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I WANT MORE View Post

Thanks

Perhaps I misremembered.

post #468 of 27023 Old 11-26-2010, 10:10 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronadair View Post

On Robin Hood & The Black Knight I'm getting horizontal bars on either side of the picture. I've got the player set for 16:9 output. Oddly enough, the picture will display full screen for a while & then revert to the bars. The zoom feature doesn't work.

Here's my outdated & soon to be replaced equipment:

Yamaha RX-V800 receiver (Emotiva separates in a few weeks)
Panasonic TH-50PHD6 Plasma (60" Samsung or 58" Panasonic in a month or so)
Bose 5.1 speakers (don't hurt me on this... replacing with Maggies in several months)

The connections are all analog component, but the horizontal bars shouldn't be there.

Any suggestions before I report this to Oppo?

You are using component video, not HDMI?

Your Primary Output setting matches the physical connection?

Are you routing the video through the receiver? Does the behavior change if you connect directly to the display?

What does the display report for input resolution? If you cycle through the output resolutions on the player does the behavior change?

-Bill

|

Unofficial OPPO FAQS:
|
|
|

post #469 of 27023 Old 11-26-2010, 10:13 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
I'm using a Lexicon MC-12B HD EQ processor and a Marantz VP-11S2 projector. I have only tried the 93 with netflix just to see how that worked and with BluRay's. I don't use it for anything else. The Problems is with BLuRay's. I can put one in and off it goes and it works fine. Put the next one in and my processor is doesn't see LPCM. Next time I put it in the voices are way off. I turn it off and back on again and it then works.

I'm using HDMI 1 only and have most things set to auto the same as my 83. My cable is a Cardas HDMI. I have the video set for source direct since the Marantz has an amazing video processor. Now if this happened every time then I would think I have something not set correct. But it doesn't happen every time. It took me 3 times in loading Iron Man 2 for my processor to see the LPCM.

I emailed Oppo but have not heard anything back.
post #470 of 27023 Old 11-26-2010, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan_h View Post

There is a program on the internet (included in the K-lite Codec package) called "Media Info" that will tell you the parameters of a media file:

http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en
post #471 of 27023 Old 11-26-2010, 10:25 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:

I emailed Oppo but have not heard anything back.

It wouldn't surprise me if Oppo are on holiday today. But then again, they've been known to respond even when you'd least expect it.
--Bob

post #472 of 27023 Old 11-26-2010, 10:28 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:

. . . .
I'm using HDMI 1 only and have most things set to auto the same as my 83. My cable is a Cardas HDMI. I have the video set for source direct since the Marantz has an amazing video processor. Now if this happened every time then I would think I have something not set correct. But it doesn't happen every time. It took me 3 times in loading Iron Man 2 for my processor to see the LPCM.

If you get a chance, try the experiment I suggested. This sounds like an HDMI handshake issue (no surprise there) and the experiment I suggested is intended to simplify the handshake.

Also, if you are using Source Direct, HDMI 2 is a good option and may be a workaround while waiting for response from Oppo. The handshake from HDMI 2 is inherently different from the one on HDMI 1.

ETA: I should add that I use HDMI LPCM from HDMI 1 into my Anthem D2v and have not had problems like you report.
--Bob

post #473 of 27023 Old 11-26-2010, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

It wouldn't surprise me if Oppo are on holiday today. But then again, they've been known to respond even when you'd least expect it.
--Bob

Yeah, I had a whole e-mail stream back and forth with them last night. THANKSGIVING night.

Chet
post #474 of 27023 Old 11-26-2010, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:

The handshake from HDMI 2 is inherently different from the one on HDMI 1.
--Bob

Bob,

I've been reading every single post regarding the 93 in this thread as well as the pre-release thread (as well as the 93 thread on another popular forum) and I keep reading about issues with the HDMI 1 port, but I'm still not clear on what the issue is. Can you provide a summation on what might be going on with HDMI 1 and why everybody is recommending the usage of HDMI 2? What does this "issue" affect exactly? It sounds like this issue has been reported to Oppo and that they will likely address it with a firmware update. Thoughts?

Chet
post #475 of 27023 Old 11-26-2010, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElwayLite View Post

It's been stated several times that it's better, read the threads on this player, please. There is a ton of info already posted.

I've read every post on this player since day one and saw nothing about SACD playback until I asked the question for the third time. Between yesterday and today several people finally answered.

If I missed it I apologize but perhaps you could provide me with a link to one of them.

At any rate it's looking like they have resolved all the pops/clicks and freeze ups that were present from the previous player.
post #476 of 27023 Old 11-26-2010, 10:40 AM

It was discussed in the "prerelease" thread
post #477 of 27023 Old 11-26-2010, 10:45 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckenisell View Post

Bob,

I've been reading every single post regarding the 93 in this thread as well as the pre-release thread (as well as the 93 thread on another popular forum) and I keep reading about issues with the HDMI 1 port, but I'm still not clear on what the issue is. Can you provide a summation on what might be going on with HDMI 1 and why everybody is recommending the usage of HDMI 2? What does this "issue" affect exactly? It sounds like this issue has been reported to Oppo and that they will likely address it with a firmware update. Thoughts?

Chet,
I'm restricted on what I can talk about (Beta tester).

HDMI 1 has a more complicated job to do than HDMI 2, and the signal path through the processing hardware is different. As such, it's not surprising to me that there are more handshake issues still to be resolved on HDMI 1. For many folks, there will be no significant problems at all -- that's why Oppo has made the player available at this stage. For others, HDMI handshake issues will be more likely when using HDMI 1.

That's why trying HDMI 2 as a short-term workaround is being suggested.

I'm sorry, but I can't give you details of the bugs I know are being worked on or which ones are likely to be fixed in the first public update to the firmware.

It is best to assume up front that any problem you encounter is brand new and that you are the first person to encounter it: I.e., you should definitely send your details to Oppo. Who knows? Your particular report may provide the key piece to the puzzle leading to a quick fix.
--Bob

post #478 of 27023 Old 11-26-2010, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 410
Quote:

I too would like to hear more comments from folks, positive or negative, about 3D from the 93.

What display are you using? Are you running the 3D video direct to the display or through an AVR, and if the later, what AVR are you using?

I get the impression that the Blu-Ray and HDMI specs for 3D may still be lacking in important areas (imagine that!) which means some decisions are being left to the content producers and chip/hardware engineers -- which means there's room for confusion and even incompatibility when different people invent different answers. But I don't know how much of a practical problem this is turning out to be.
-Bob

To answer your question Bob in more detail. 93 is connected via HDMI 1 to Pioneer Elite SC-07 - audio set to bitstream with secondary off - passing video via HDMI 1 as well through the receiver. Display is a Pioneer Kuro 5020. I have not had an issue with multi blu-ray, dvd, dvd-a and sacd. Interestingly the 93 found my DirectTV HDDVR and the programs had recorded, file format is unsupported, no surprise there. I also have a Western Digital 1TB hard disk (USB) hooked up to it, haven't played files yet (music and movies), but it seems to have found everything okay. Looking forward to see what I can achieve in the way of picture improvements. I have not timed it formally, but Bridge Over River the Kwai definitely loaded faster on the 93 than on my 83.

No 3D - not a believer yet and don't like the glasses.

Panasonic 60VT60 (cal by DNice)
Denon 5200 w/ Outlaw 2200 Amps (3)
Ascend Acoustics Sierra 2s F/R & Horizon w/ RAAL Center; Sierra 1s Surrounds; HTM-200s Heights and PSB S5 Rear Surrounds; Dual SVS subs
Oppo 103; Onkyo HD-DVD; Apple TV & Roku Stick
post #479 of 27023 Old 11-26-2010, 10:51 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElwayLite View Post

It was discussed in the "prerelease" thread

For folks new to this "owner's" thread, there was a previous, "prerelease" thread where the first flurry of information appeared on the 93. There was also the usual prerelease speculation and discussion of extraneous stuff like tracking info which cluttered it up pretty fast, so this new thread was opened to make a fresh start once public sales actually began.

Anyway, although there's a lot to wade through in that other thread, you may find questions already answered over there. Just another thing to keep you occupied while waiting for Fedex!
--Bob

post #480 of 27023 Old 11-26-2010, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Webslinger View Post

Given the following source, it seems unlikely you created PGS subtitles.

I think support for PGS is in development for Handbrake: http://forum.handbrake.fr/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=16659

http://trac.handbrake.fr/wiki/Sources

"Please note, PGS subtitles are not currently supported. "

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtblair View Post

There is a program on the internet (included in the K-lite Codec package) called "Media Info" that will tell you the parameters of a media file:

http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en

Looks like this file has subtitles encoded as "UTF-8" according to this cool tool (thanks for pointing it out).

Works very well with the Oppo. One of the DLNA annoyances with the 83 were the largely unreadable subtitles on media files (though that seemed to get better with successive firmware updates).

The 93 is greatly improved in this regard, in my use so far, right out of the gate.

Build Thread:
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page