post #5551 of 26928 Old 01-27-2011, 07:51 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by drbonbi View Post

For those wanting to adapt their BDP-93 player so as to play standard definition DVDs from Regions 1,2,3,4,5 & 6, a listing on ebay here may be of interest.

Since I have quite a collection of Region 2 SD DVDs and own a 93, I decided to give this OPPO BDP 93 Player DVD Region Free Super Disk a try. For $14.98 I wasn't risking much.

I received it today. The vendor paid $5.20 to send it Priority Mail from CA. I tried playing a Region 2 SD DVD before - no play - and then after using the Super Disc. It works! I have not tried it on other region DVDs. The author claims that it will work on future firmware updates if it is "played again" after the update.

I have no connection to the vendor. I offer the info with no guarantees. But it works for me! I thought it might brighten the day for those wanting region free DVD play on the 93.

Note. It does NOT change the region playback for Blu-ray discs from A/1 (America, Japan,Korea). My experience is that some Blu-ray discs that claim to be Region B locked aren't. YMMV.

Dana

Does anyone know if this disc works and if so will it work for the BDP 83?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5552 of 26928 Old 01-27-2011, 07:55 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveCaron View Post

Does anyone know if this disc works and if so will it work for the BDP 83?

Everyone who has tried it says it works. 93 only, not the 83.

-Bill
post #5553 of 26928 Old 01-27-2011, 08:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

Everyone who has tried it says it works. 93 only, not the 83.

-Bill

Does a similiar solution exist for the 83? Thanks
post #5554 of 26928 Old 01-27-2011, 08:19 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PTF View Post

RE: VUDU for BDP-93, I just got a reply on 1-24-11 to my query from Oppo:

Philip,

The player is still going through certification. Once it passes certification we will be able to release a new firmware which allows for VUDU support.

Best Regards,

Customer Service
OPPO Digital, Inc.

That's what I like to hear.
post #5555 of 26928 Old 01-27-2011, 08:25 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveCaron View Post

Does a similiar solution exist for the 83? Thanks

No. The BDP-83 requires a hardware mod, as does the -93 if you want Blu-ray region free playback.

-Bill
post #5556 of 26928 Old 01-27-2011, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:

No. The BDP-83 requires a hardware mod, as does the -93 if you want Blu-ray region free playback.

-Bill

The same people on ebay selling that magic disc, also have the hardware mod for the 83 at like $36, even cheaper for the 80. (I'm not recommending their solution, since I haven't tried it myself.)

post #5557 of 26928 Old 01-27-2011, 10:24 AM
Advanced Member

Has anyone experienced un-intelligble incredibly loud distorted dialogue through all speakers (like your speakers are going to explode) when a blu ray movie first starts to play?? The previews sound fine so it must have something to do with the hi-def audio code when its first engaged. I have to turn the movie off and then on again for it to go away.

I'm using both hdmi connections so the audio is being run through a receiver, and the video direct to the Tv. I really can't describe it better than that. I thought the software upgrade made it go away, but it didnt.

Adz
post #5558 of 26928 Old 01-27-2011, 10:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adz523 View Post

Has anyone experienced un-intelligble incredibly loud distorted dialogue through all speakers (like your speakers are going to explode) when a blu ray movie first starts to play?? The previews sound fine so it must have something to do with the hi-def audio code when its first engaged. I have to turn the movie off and then on again for it to go away.

I'm using both hdmi connections so the audio is being run through a receiver, and the video direct to the Tv. I really can't describe it better than that. I thought the software upgrade made it go away, but it didnt.

Sounds like you describe a handshake error, probably with DTS-MA audio. The AVR is expecting one codec and receiving another.

Try setting your player's HDMI-Audio setting to anything other than "auto".
post #5559 of 26928 Old 01-27-2011, 11:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

Sounds like you describe a handshake error, probably with DTS-MA audio. The AVR is expecting one codec and receiving another.

Try setting your player's HDMI-Audio setting to anything other than "auto".

Thanks for the quick reply. Actually, my receiver doesn't decode the hi-def audio codes, so I have the Oppo set to LPCM. I agree its likely a handshake error, so looks like there may not be a fix unless I buy a new receiver. Oppo told me its an hdmi cable issue, which doesn't make sense to me at all.

Adz
post #5560 of 26928 Old 01-27-2011, 11:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Thanks for the quick reply. Actually, my receiver doesn't decode the hi-def audio codes, so I have the Oppo set to LPCM. I agree its likely a handshake error, so looks like there may not be a fix unless I buy a new receiver. Oppo told me its an hdmi cable issue, which doesn't make sense to me at all.

Never assume it's NOT a cable problem. Stranger things have happened. In any case, a handshake error should be resolved simply by switching the AVR to another input and back again. On the odd chance that the display is barfing on the handshake, try setting HDMI-1 to video-only. Future firmware for the player will include handshaking improvements, so there's still hope your issue could be resolved.
post #5561 of 26928 Old 01-27-2011, 11:36 AM

I have a Pana 1080p plasma and an HK AVR354 which have HDMI connections.
The Hk has a 24bit video processor and the Oppo 93 has 32 bit capabilities.
Would I get a better picture if I hooked the Oppo directly to the Panasonic and audio throught the HK OR hook everything to the HK.
post #5562 of 26928 Old 01-27-2011, 11:37 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 796
Adz523,
Trust what they said. Handshake screw ups often result from marginal HDMI cables. In your case (LPCM) the issue might be the two devices getting confused over which LPCM format is in use (sampling rate and bit width). The handshake and the data streams themselves depend on different characteristics of the cable. The problem may be as simple as mechanical fit of the plugs in their sockets.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #5563 of 26928 Old 01-27-2011, 11:40 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by John C. Brunner View Post

Would I get a better picture if I hooked the Oppo directly to the Panasonic and audio throught the HK OR hook everything to the HK.

The two cable approach is worth a try. Whether you'll actually see a difference depends on details of what's going on inside your display, and how the display is calibrated.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #5564 of 26928 Old 01-27-2011, 11:43 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by John C. Brunner View Post

You can experiment with the Deep Color settings if you connect directly to the display, but Deep Color is a pretty minor effect. Or put it this way: it's not something to be concerned with until you have exhaustively calibrated everything else.

-Bill
post #5565 of 26928 Old 01-27-2011, 11:59 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

Never assume it's NOT a cable problem. Stranger things have happened. In any case, a handshake error should be resolved simply by switching the AVR to another input and back again. On the odd chance that the display is barfing on the handshake, try setting HDMI-1 to video-only. Future firmware for the player will include handshaking improvements, so there's still hope your issue could be resolved.

You could try reducing the LPCM Rate Limit. Not all receivers can accept 192kHz or whatever the default setting is.

If that doesn't work play around with your HDMI cable. Many posts back I flagged an HDMI cable issue...which I resolved by reversing the cable Sounds crazy but it's true.

blairy
post #5566 of 26928 Old 01-27-2011, 12:08 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by blairy View Post

You could try reducing the LPCM Rate Limit.

That's not supposed to do anything for HDMI.

-Bill
post #5567 of 26928 Old 01-27-2011, 12:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blairy View Post

You could try reducing the LPCM Rate Limit. Not all receivers can accept 192kHz or whatever the default setting is.

this setting is relevant only to SPDIF output.
post #5568 of 26928 Old 01-27-2011, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Had a question for folks here:

I have the Oppo 93 bitstreaming to an Onkyo 5008 via HDMI.

There are 2 settings that specifically need to be changed for me to see the receiver display "DTS-MSTR" when playing a BD with a DTS-MA track.

- On the Onkyo, I need to set the RIHD to OFF. I just confirmed with an Onkyo tech that in this case, that setting on the Onkyo ONLY affects whether the DTS-MSTR lights up on the receiver's front display and has no effect on the audio stream.

- On the Oppo 93, I have to set the 'Secondary Audio' to Off. Even if the Onkyo is set to RIHD Off, if the Oppo's Secondary Audio setting is not Off, the Onkyo will not show DTS-MSTR on the front display.

The 5008 can decode DTS-MA and TrueHD. What exactly does toggling the Secondary Audio setting on/off on the Oppo do? Does it send the compatibility soundtrack (non DTS-MA) to the receiver with it on? Or in this case, does it merely affect whether the Onkyo is displaying DTS-MSTR, without having any effect on the actual audio stream?

Max
post #5569 of 26928 Old 01-27-2011, 01:18 PM
Advanced Member

Well, I set HDMI-I to video only and that seems to have fixed the problem. Interesting. Thanks Rd. And the rest for chiming in to help.

Adz
post #5570 of 26928 Old 01-27-2011, 01:21 PM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAM1233 View Post

Yesterday I received my brand new Bdp-93 from Amazon. I already have Bdp-83, which I love it, but wanted to see how the Qdeo processor does to DVDs. I am very well impressed with the Qdeo Second generation processor.

Looks like all my DVD collections have a new life. I want to see the boring poorly mastered Dvds again using this player. These poorly mastered DVDs look awsome after noise level 2 or 3 and tweaking the sharpness etc. I have lot of those DVDs. But a well mastered DVD looks crystal clear with, eye popping natural colour. By the way I have Pioneer kuro -500M display.

More details and more depth and natural looking images. I would say its so much ahead of ABT 2010 or 15 processor.
The 3D deinterlacing is awesome.

I couldn't agree more with your assessment of the 93's excellent DVD playback. I really challenged the Oppo lastnight by playing the Tron 20th Anniversary Collector's Ed. DVD with its wavering contrast, rotoscoped images and first gen CGI and it looked absolutely amazing and crushed my BDP-S350 in a comparison test.

Sony KDL46XBR2, Samsung SMT-H3270 HDDVR, Oppo BDP-95 (w/a Haier 7" HLT71), Sony BDP-S350, Emo UMC-1 & XPA-5, Custom built LF, RF, C + 2 subs, 2 Polk T90e (surrounds), Blu-ray, BD-A, DVD & DVD-A Collection, SACD Collection
post #5571 of 26928 Old 01-27-2011, 01:23 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by djbluemax1 View Post

Had a question for folks here:

I have the Oppo 93 bitstreaming to an Onkyo 5008 via HDMI.

There are 2 settings that specifically need to be changed for me to see the receiver display "DTS-MSTR" when playing a BD with a DTS-MA track.

- On the Onkyo, I need to set the RIHD to OFF. I just confirmed with an Onkyo tech that in this case, that setting on the Onkyo ONLY affects whether the DTS-MSTR lights up on the receiver's front display and has no effect on the audio stream.

- On the Oppo 93, I have to set the 'Secondary Audio' to Off. Even if the Onkyo is set to RIHD Off, if the Oppo's Secondary Audio setting is not Off, the Onkyo will not show DTS-MSTR on the front display.

The 5008 can decode DTS-MA and TrueHD. What exactly does toggling the Secondary Audio setting on/off on the Oppo do? Does it send the compatibility soundtrack (non DTS-MA) to the receiver with it on? Or in this case, does it merely affect whether the Onkyo is displaying DTS-MSTR, without having any effect on the actual audio stream?

Max

The OPPO is sending a non-HD track when Secondary Audio is on. See the discussion in the FAQ and this part of the manual: Setup Menu Options / Audio Format Setup / Audio Signal Reference Chart.

-Bill
post #5572 of 26928 Old 01-27-2011, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The OPPO is sending a non-HD track when Secondary Audio is on. See the discussion in the FAQ and this part of the manual: Setup Menu Options / Audio Format Setup / Audio Signal Reference Chart.

-Bill

Thanks for the reply Bill. BTW, what discussion in what FAQ? Where do I find this?

Max
post #5573 of 26928 Old 01-27-2011, 01:37 PM
Read the FAQ!

For those who might not be following the other thread, Oppo has just sent out "early delivery" invitation emails to the folks who registered for interest in the BDP-95. These "early delivery" units are set to ship the first week of February.

Note that unlike the similar program a while back for the 93, these 95 units are not "pre release" units. They are production units with production firmware.
--Bob

post #5574 of 26928 Old 01-27-2011, 01:47 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by djbluemax1 View Post

Thanks for the reply Bill. BTW, what discussion in what FAQ? Where do I find this?

Max

See What is Secondary Audio?

-Bill
post #5575 of 26928 Old 01-27-2011, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

See What is Secondary Audio?

-Bill

Sweet! Thanks Bill! Must have glossed over that when I read the manual.

Max
post #5576 of 26928 Old 01-27-2011, 05:06 PM

Quote:

-Bill

Earlier in this thread, it was stated that...
  1. if you have Secondary Audio turned on, but
  2. select LPCM as the HDMI Audio output format (instead of bitstreaming) and
  3. you then play a lossless audio track off a BD, then
  4. the LPCM output by the 93 will retain the full lossless audio quality (just with the lower quality secondary audio mixed in as applicable)

This is also alluded to in the FAQ as the new feature "Secondary Audio with lossless", and seems like a great set-it-and-forget-it solution. But I'm just trying to track down what the original source for this revelation was. I can't seem to find this particular feature spelled out anywhere in the manual (though it could be I'm just not looking in the right place).

post #5577 of 26928 Old 01-27-2011, 06:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I had originally started that discussion because I use D-BOX and needed the bitstreaming through the digital optical out, but wanted the secondary audio mixed in to the HDMI out using lossless PCM. I learned that this is not possible, so I don't use secondary audio and only bitstream using HDMI and digital optical.

But you are correct that the secondary audio gets mixed in with the lossless stream into an uncompressed PCM that is sent via HDMI to the receiver.

Chet
post #5578 of 26928 Old 01-27-2011, 07:43 PM

Hi, yesterday I received my new BDP-93. Nice! I love it. But I do have a few issues with it.

One, Netflix video is jerky especially during pans. It's bad. When the camera is panning, instead of a nice smooth pan of the image, it jerks across the screen in small jumps.

I have three other devices in my setup that can also stream Netflix and none of them have this problem, even when playing exactly the same show. One of them, an LG Blu-ray player, even has exactly the same app as the Oppo.

The BDP-93 is hardwired into a gigabit switch and I have HDMI cables running to my receiver and TV. I have HDMI-1 running to the TV and HDMI-2 running to the receiver. It doesn't matter which one I watch, they're both jerky.

I've watched a couple of Blu-ray movies and they do not have this problem. I've also watched some trailers in the Blockbuster app and it doesn't exhibit the problem either.

I've played around with the configuration settings and have swapped HDMI cables and even replaced them but nothing seems to make any difference at all. The problem seems to be with the Netflix app itself.

Is anybody else experiencing this problem?

Thanks
post #5579 of 26928 Old 01-27-2011, 07:52 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2-M0 View Post
Earlier in this thread, it was stated that...
  1. if you have Secondary Audio turned on, but
  2. select LPCM as the HDMI Audio output format (instead of bitstreaming) and
  3. you then play a lossless audio track off a BD, then
  4. the LPCM output by the 93 will retain the full lossless audio quality (just with the lower quality secondary audio mixed in as applicable)

This is also alluded to in the FAQ as the new feature "Secondary Audio with lossless", and seems like a great set-it-and-forget-it solution. But I'm just trying to track down what the original source for this revelation was. I can't seem to find this particular feature spelled out anywhere in the manual (though it could be I'm just not looking in the right place).
It's easy enough to verify. The compatibility tracks are 48KHz and no more than 5.1. (The Secondary Audio itself is 2.0.)

So if you have verified Secondary Audio mixing (e.g., from a PIP feature) but the resulting LPCM stream is either 7.1 or greater than 48KHz, then you know the primary audio component of the mix must be coming from the lossless track.

Anyway, the short answer is that it is true. In the 93, LPCM output uses the full quality primary track even if Secondary Audio mixing is happening.

Bitstream output *ALSO* uses the full quality primary track, which is decoded prior to mixing in the Secondary Audio. But the result must be re-encoded on the fly back into a Bitstream, and there isn't enough horsepower in consumer gear to do that using a lossless Bitstream. So in the 93, the mixed combo is re-encoded into high bit-rate (1.536Mbps), traditional, lossy, DTS 5.1 48KHz for output. Note that you get DTS 5.1 even if the original primary track is 7.1 or 2.0. For 7.1 the rears are mixed into the sides. For 2.0 the surround channels are silent.
--Bob

post #5580 of 26928 Old 01-27-2011, 08:25 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malachi42
Is anybody else experiencing this problem?
Yes. I've especially noticed it on HD movies, which are otherwise excellent quality.

Please report it to Oppo's great service department so they know for sure that it's a widespread problem.

- LoopinFool
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Blu Ray Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page