13Likes

post #721 of 26943 Old 11-27-2010, 09:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

I know you said you checked DRC and it was off in the player, what about the receiver?

Is anyone else finding bitstreamed audio on the 93 to sound different from their previous player?

This and the 1/2 zoom being much smaller than the 83 has me a bit concerned......

Yes it's off on the receiver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

Check to confirm you have Secondary Audio OFF.

If you have Secondary Audio ON with HDMI Audio Bitstream then the player will be decoding the lossless track in prep for secondary audio mixing followed by re-encoding it as high bit rate, lossy DTS 5.1. And it is possible your Pioneer handles DTS input differently than the lossless track bitstreams.

ETA: If you like leaving Secondary Audio ON, I recommend you use HDMI Audio LPCM instead of Bitstream.
--Bob

Yes secondary audio is off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 26943 Old 11-27-2010, 09:31 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Just to clarify a point or 2...

There's absolutely nothing wrong with posting experiences with the player here (good or bad).

Any problems should ALSO be reported directly to OPPO. If they aren't around answering the phone (I wouldn't expect them to be on a long holiday weekend), then send them an email (they might even respond on a long holiday weekend). Contacting them directly by phone or email is the only way to ensure that they're aware of the problem(s). Another key item here is that even if they're already aware of the problem(s), additional information about your system or exactly how you reproduce the problem might make it easier for them to resolve the problem. Too a point, more data is usually better. You obviously aren't obligated to contact them directly, but it may benefit you if you do as the player might be improved as a result of your communication. OPPO keeps an eye on these forums, but given how fast this thread moves, it would be easy for them to miss something, so PLEASE contact them directly when there's a problem even if you post the info here - it could be as simple as copying what you posted here and pasting it into an email sent to them which would only take a few seconds.

The other point is the tone of some posts (this is not directed at any specific poster). I've been getting the impression that some people bought the pre-release without fully grasping what that actually meant and seem to have expected the player to be functioning 100% at this point. Pre-release means that the player's firmware is still in the development stages and it should be expected that some things aren't going to work well for now. So we're going to run into cases where some people have to work around various problems until they're fixed. If people aren't comfortable dealing with the hassles that come with working around issues of this sort, they really would be better off waiting until the official release of the player when the majority of bugs will have been taken care of. If the problems turn out to be too much hassle to work around, the player can be returned at any time up until 30 days after the player is officially released, only costing the original shipping - that should be enough to satisfy just about anyone as there's very little risk involved other than perhaps some time wasted working around some problems.

So it's one thing to post "Feature X isn't working for me - anyone else? Anyone come up with a workaround? I've reported this to OPPO.", but quite another to post "Feature X doesn't work, this thing sucks, OPPO is a bunch of so and sos, I'm mad at the world!!!". Hopefully the difference is clear to everyone.
post #723 of 26943 Old 11-27-2010, 09:32 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gates View Post

Yes secondary audio is off.

What does your receiver say it is receiving as audio input format when you are having the problem? Things it might report are the type of bitstream format, the number of channels, the sample rate (e.g., 48KHz), and the sample size (e.g., 16 bit).
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #724 of 26943 Old 11-27-2010, 09:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

Have you tried another disc by chance? Does it happen on blu ray as well?

No, I haven't tried any other discs. I never zoom with Blu-Ray, as my primary purpose for 1/2x zoom was to make SD DVD look tolerable on my projection setup.

I'd try another disc, but I don't have the player hooked up right now as I don't think I'm keeping it. I kind of purchased it impulsively when I got the invitation from Oppo, and in all honesty, my backup player with source direct mode + my Denon AVR which has the ABT chip for upscaling SD DVD is more than adequate as this setup provides the same resulting PQ as my 83 did. Mainly, I miss the speed and the 1/2x zoom of the 83, but I'm not sure they're worth $400 more at the moment. We'll see what I end up doing. Who knows, I may keep it in the end.
post #725 of 26943 Old 11-27-2010, 10:00 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Hello All,

I am an Oppo virgin here and just purchased my 93. I am replacing a Sony BDP-S550 that I am selling to my brother. The 93 will be connected to my Denon 3808ci hence the need for dual HDMI outs. Do any of you use the Denon 3808ci? Anyone upgrade from the sony to this player or an 83 and can maybe tell be about the quality differences. Also, since my receiver will not pass a hdmi v1.4 signal which HDMI port do I use for direct connection to the tv and which do I use for the normal audio and video through the receiver? Thank you all! I hope I love this new player as much as you all seem to.

Chip

Argyl Home Theater - Indefinitely Delayed

My Movie Library - and still growing!

Family Room: Sharp LC-80uq17u + Denon 3808ci + Oppo 93, Speakers: C: Polk CSi-A6, F(L+R): Polk Rti-A7, S(R+RS) Polk TC60i, Sub: HSU – VTF3-MK4
post #726 of 26943 Old 11-27-2010, 10:02 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkozlow3 View Post

No, I haven't tried any other discs. I never zoom with Blu-Ray, as my primary purpose for 1/2x zoom was to make SD DVD look tolerable on my projection setup.

I'd try another disc, but I don't have the player hooked up right now as I don't think I'm keeping it. I kind of purchased it impulsively when I got the invitation from Oppo, and in all honesty, my backup player with source direct mode + my Denon AVR which has the ABT chip for upscaling SD DVD is more than adequate as this setup provides the same resulting PQ as my 83 did. Mainly, I miss the speed and the 1/2x zoom of the 83, but I'm not sure they're worth $400 more at the moment. We'll see what I end up doing. Who knows, I may keep it in the end.

Thanks. If you hook up the 93 again, maybe try another disc just to make sure it is the player and not something specific to American Beauty somehow.

Can anyone else who owned an 83 and now a 93 comment on the 1/2 zoom? Do you also notice it is considerably smaller on the 93 compared to the 83? I dont have my 93 yet so I cant test this myself.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #727 of 26943 Old 11-27-2010, 10:22 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
I never had the BDP-83 (I have the -93), but it occurs to me that perhaps what you're seeing is a difference in what "1/2" refers to. 1/2 of each dimension, or 1/2 of total area? In the first case, that would be 1/4 (0.5*0.5). In the second, 1/2. The difference between 1/4 and 1/2 would be quite noticeable. Does the BDP-93's implementation of "1/2" look to be about half the area of the BDP-83's implementation?
post #728 of 26943 Old 11-27-2010, 11:13 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 818
I've confirmed that Zoom 1/2x is broken for SD-DVD playback.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #729 of 26943 Old 11-27-2010, 11:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by chs4000 View Post

I never had the BDP-83 (I have the -93), but it occurs to me that perhaps what you're seeing is a difference in what "1/2" refers to. 1/2 of each dimension, or 1/2 of total area? In the first case, that would be 1/4 (0.5*0.5). In the second, 1/2. The difference between 1/4 and 1/2 would be quite noticeable. Does the BDP-93's implementation of "1/2" look to be about half the area of the BDP-83's implementation?

Yes, it does. It was about 1/4 the size of the non-zoomed picture and was completely useless at that size. The 83's 1/2x zoom was definitely much larger - I used it all the time.
post #730 of 26943 Old 11-27-2010, 11:52 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 410
Quote:

I've confirmed that Zoom 1/2x is broken for SD-DVD playback.
--Bob

Thanks Bob. What about blu ray? I am planning on using the 1/2x zoom for menus, extras and depending on how good it looks maybe even 1.78/85 movies when my projector is zoomed out for 2.35 films on my scope screen instead of re-zooming for this material.........definitely menus/extras with movies TBD.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #731 of 26943 Old 11-27-2010, 11:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Most BD can't be zoomed yet because of BD-JAVA prohibitions. OPPO still has not offloaded the zoom controls to the Marvell Qdeo. This is planned in another firmware release.
post #732 of 26943 Old 11-28-2010, 03:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post

Just to clarify a point or 2...

There's absolutely nothing wrong with posting experiences with the player here (good or bad).

Any problems should ALSO be reported directly to OPPO. If they aren't around answering the phone (I wouldn't expect them to be on a long holiday weekend), then send them an email (they might even respond on a long holiday weekend). Contacting them directly by phone or email is the only way to ensure that they're aware of the problem(s). Another key item here is that even if they're already aware of the problem(s), additional information about your system or exactly how you reproduce the problem might make it easier for them to resolve the problem. Too a point, more data is usually better. You obviously aren't obligated to contact them directly, but it may benefit you if you do as the player might be improved as a result of your communication. OPPO keeps an eye on these forums, but given how fast this thread moves, it would be easy for them to miss something, so PLEASE contact them directly when there's a problem even if you post the info here - it could be as simple as copying what you posted here and pasting it into an email sent to them which would only take a few seconds.

The other point is the tone of some posts (this is not directed at any specific poster). I've been getting the impression that some people bought the pre-release without fully grasping what that actually meant and seem to have expected the player to be functioning 100% at this point. Pre-release means that the player's firmware is still in the development stages and it should be expected that some things aren't going to work well for now. So we're going to run into cases where some people have to work around various problems until they're fixed. If people aren't comfortable dealing with the hassles that come with working around issues of this sort, they really would be better off waiting until the official release of the player when the majority of bugs will have been taken care of. If the problems turn out to be too much hassle to work around, the player can be returned at any time up until 30 days after the player is officially released, only costing the original shipping - that should be enough to satisfy just about anyone as there's very little risk involved other than perhaps some time wasted working around some problems.

So it's one thing to post "Feature X isn't working for me - anyone else? Anyone come up with a workaround? I've reported this to OPPO.", but quite another to post "Feature X doesn't work, this thing sucks, OPPO is a bunch of so and sos, I'm mad at the world!!!". Hopefully the difference is clear to everyone.

I am glad you posted this. As part of the 83 EAP, I had many issues with CDs. This was reported to Oppo and I was told to send those discs in. Oppo fixed the issue with FW. The 83 is as good as it is from good customer feedback to Oppo. Later, it was very nice to get the two blu ray discs in the mail.
post #733 of 26943 Old 11-28-2010, 03:48 AM

Liked: 10
How's the disc loading speed on the 93 as compared to the 83? How about the noise of the drive mechanism?
post #734 of 26943 Old 11-28-2010, 04:42 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiptouz View Post

Hello All,

I am an Oppo virgin here and just purchased my 93. I am replacing a Sony BDP-S550 that I am selling to my brother. The 93 will be connected to my Denon 3808ci hence the need for dual HDMI outs. Do any of you use the Denon 3808ci? Anyone upgrade from the sony to this player or an 83 and can maybe tell be about the quality differences. Also, since my receiver will not pass a hdmi v1.4 signal which HDMI port do I use for direct connection to the tv and which do I use for the normal audio and video through the receiver? Thank you all! I hope I love this new player as much as you all seem to.

Chip

Yes, I'm using the BDP-93 through a Denon 3808CI without any problems.

If you read the manual that arrives with the BDP-93, it will explain how to set the BDP-93 up if your receiver does not do HDMI 1.4 but your TV does.
post #735 of 26943 Old 11-28-2010, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianstorms View Post

First time OPPO owner; just got my BDP-93 a few days ago.
Finally, I love the image quality though it's a lot darker than I expected. My old DVD player was a high-end Denon and the picture was generally brighter. Now everything looks, well, darker. (FYI I am using Component outs, out of necessity -- I don't have a long enough HDMI cable to get to my projector, and I have this crazy expensive Blue Jeans Cable component snake thingie plugged directly from OPPO to projector at the moment.)

Did you ever calibrate your display with a calibration DVD in the Denon?

I suppose the point is, without having calibrated the display, how do you know the Denon was "correct"?

Maybe just turn up the brightness if you're not interested in calibration?
post #736 of 26943 Old 11-28-2010, 05:11 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Quote:

I can't repeat your test with the D2v since it accepts the lossless bitstreams -- i.e., the Auto setting would get different info from it than from your D2, and so its correct result would be different.

Double check that your video output resolution is 720p or higher when Auto is failing to give you the full track. If it is, then you've found a bug. Make sure that Oppo knows your model of Anthem can't accept the lossless Bitstreams.

By the way, how do you know you are getting the core track? What are you getting instead of the high bit rate LPCM?
--Bob

With the 93 set to 'auto' it bitstreams the core track and the DD or DTS is shown on the display. Right now I'm playing Bourne Identity BR with 'auto' set in the Oppo93. When I cycle thru the D2 info (by hitting D2 select) it shows 'DTS Digital Surround 1536 kbps NP'.
If I change the setting in the 93 to 'LPCM' the D2 will show 'PCM 48 khz PCM CP'.
The Oppo 93 shows that it is playing the DTS-MA track the whole time.

Tom

"You can have my remote when you pry it from my cold dead fingers" tngiloy
Anthem D2v;Anthem A5;Golden Ear Aon3,SuperCenter XL,SuperSat3;SVS SB13 Plus x 2;Oppo BDP-103D;Ayre CX-7eMP;Panasonic plasma; Dish Hopper;PS Audio Power Plant 5- Subject to change without prior notification.
post #737 of 26943 Old 11-28-2010, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WireBrat View Post

How's the disc loading speed on the 93 as compared to the 83? How about the noise of the drive mechanism?

The drive mechanism (often called "the transport") is much more refined and quieter in the '93 when compared to then '83. I never stop-watched the loading speed of the '83 so I cannot compare it...
post #738 of 26943 Old 11-28-2010, 05:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiptouz View Post

Hello All,

Chip

I too will be using my 93 with my 3808CI. I'am a previous Oppo owner as I owned the BDP-83. Expect way better build quality, excellent video processing, more flexible set-up options and great customer service.

"The powerful will be ripped from their decadent nests. And cast out into the cold world that we know and endure. Courts will be convened. Spoils will be enjoyed!"

-Bane

post #739 of 26943 Old 11-28-2010, 05:58 AM

Liked: 11
Good morning all. I have had my BDP-93 since Thursday last week. It replaced a Pioneer Elite BDP-05 (which is moving upstairs to the living room). I have it hooked up to a Pioneer Elite SC-09 and a Sony VPL-HW15 projector. Very happy so far with the whole install. The only issue I had was when I plugged in the OPPO I had HDMI control turned on and it set the SC-09 to HDMI through. Not a big deal once all was reset.
My question is regarding calibration. I have never calibrated the Sony and I got the calibration disk from OPPO as I felt this should be done. Should I calibrate the projector first and then adjust the BDP-93? I don't think I have ever had a Blu-Ray that has setup settings for sound and video?
All advice would be appreciated.

Ian
post #740 of 26943 Old 11-28-2010, 06:06 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by pogal View Post

My question is regarding calibration. I have never calibrated the Sony and I got the calibration disk from OPPO as I felt this should be done. Should I calibrate the projector first and then adjust the BDP-93?

The general rule is to leave the player settings at zero and calibrate the display. This is for the basic brightness/contrast/hue/saturation settings. You can experiment with the other player enhancements once that is done.

-Bill
post #741 of 26943 Old 11-28-2010, 06:06 AM

hi all! Received my new -93 yesterday ;-))) Love the look of the new unit! This is my first Oppo, so anticipating great things! ;-)

Couple of issues found (as expected ;-)...I will be calling Oppo tomorrow (I doubt they are in on Sunday's ;-)

Findings...so far... ;-)

Network - I started with a wired connect using DHCP. No luck. Then tried wireless using WPA Personal (I'm using an old Linksys router)...still no luck. Went back to wired and used Manual setup to enter the IP info. This worked just fine.

SACD - I find that I'm not able to send DSD over HDMI to my Integra DHC-80.2...no output. Works fine using the PCM setting. The Integra is also fairly new, so I'm not sure whether the problem is with the 93 or my 80.2. Anyone else having similar results?

'My Network' - per the manual (page 43), this is an 'experimental feature' and is unsupported. My Integra has similar functionality (playback from servers) so thought I would compare. When drilling down through my server folders, each level was very sluggish to respond (longer than i would have thought), but worked till i got to the 5th directory level, then it just hung up (though i do have a large quantity of folders (900+) at that level, so they may not have enough memory allocated to support this.

CD playback - it seems to me that when advancing/backing up from track to track that the tracks don't start at the beginning (the time counter indicates 00:00, but the music track has already begun). Anyone else notice this?

Remote Controller - I'm not impressed with the new controller...sorry ;-). My -93 is in a built-in shelf unit with a glass front, and is positioned within the rack up near the top...I have to hold the remote up fairly high from my seated position to get the -93 to respond. Note that I don't have this problem with my Harmony One (and yes, the Oppo -83 IR codes work great ;-). Also, it seems that you have to push/hold the buttons down fairly hard to get a response...I'm just use to soft buttons i guess ;-)

Over all picture/sound is awesome! Can't wait to get the 'bugs' worked out ;-)

Glen
post #742 of 26943 Old 11-28-2010, 06:12 AM

The BDP-93 plays my DVDs,B-R DVDs,CDs very well, but DVD-A do not play continously. The audio is broken up by dead air for a second and then repeats. Has any one experienced this or has a solution?
post #743 of 26943 Old 11-28-2010, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adminglf View Post

Network - I started with a wired connect using DHCP. No luck. Then tried wireless using WPA Personal (I'm using an old Linksys router)...still no luck. Went back to wired and used Manual setup to enter the IP info. This worked just fine.

DHCP worked fine for me once I added the MAC address for the '93 to my network configuration (I had to do the same with the '83.)

When using wired connect...

Which DHCP server do you use?

Do you need to add the MAC address of the '93 to your DHCP server?

Any diags from the DHCP server?
post #744 of 26943 Old 11-28-2010, 06:28 AM

Thanks for your post!

I didn't add the MAC address to my router (Linksys), but haven't had to do so for any other device I have connected (Integra, Toshiba HDDVD, etc.), so I didn't even consider it. I didn't check the error log but will do so.

Thanks again!
post #745 of 26943 Old 11-28-2010, 06:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:

CD playback - it seems to me that when advancing/backing up from track to track that the tracks don't start at the beginning (the time counter indicates 00:00, but the music track has already begun). Anyone else notice this?

Glen

Yes, and it effects SACD as well. Strangely enough, DVD-A does not exhibit the problem. For me, there is a work around.

Just to be clear, I am using a Denon 3808ci AVR, HDMI for audio, Component for video.

The work around for me is to use HDMI 2. I sent note about this to Oppo, and they theorized that it may be something to do with the Marvel video processing on HDMI 1.

A secondary issue I observed relates to HDCD. if HDCD is On in the Oppo, the Denon HDCD light flickers on and off when playing an HDCD disc. If HDCD is Off, the Denon HDCD decoding locks without issue. Since the Denon does support HDCD, I will just leave HDCD off in the Oppo.

When I asked about that, Oppo said that the 83 had the opposite issue with the Denon 3808ci.

Brian
post #746 of 26943 Old 11-28-2010, 06:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 22
For those waiting for their player to ship after a firmware update check your status. Mine was waiting for firmware update and said it would ship tomorrow. I checked my status this AM and it has shipped. Now to see if it will work with my Pioneer AVR.

Perhaps I misremembered.

post #747 of 26943 Old 11-28-2010, 06:41 AM

Thanks Brian!

The late start on each song isn't a major concern for me at this point, but i'll make sure Oppo is aware of the results i'm finding ;-)

Guess i should have been more clear in my earlier post...my -93 is connected to an Integra DHC-80.2 via HDMI only (using HDMI 1 on the Oppo).

Thanks again

Glen
post #748 of 26943 Old 11-28-2010, 06:48 AM

on my DHCP issue...i changed the setting (Ethernet) back from Manual to Auto(DHCP) and turned on logging in my router. Following power restart on the Oppo, the DHCP is now working (and the log shows that DHCP issued an address). This makes me think that once the Oppo successfully connected to the router (when i had Ethernet set to manual and entered the IP info myself), the Oppo was then 'known' to the router and proceeded to provide the DHCP connect. This may lend weight to rakosnicek's input to enter the MAC address to the DHCP provider.

Glen
post #749 of 26943 Old 11-28-2010, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

The general rule is to leave the player settings at zero and calibrate the display. This is for the basic brightness/contrast/hue/saturation settings. You can experiment with the other player enhancements once that is done.

-Bill

I would agree with this but suggest that you get a pro calibration done. That is a nice setup and you would be surprised what a calibration with instruments can do. Either way enjoy.
post #750 of 26943 Old 11-28-2010, 07:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

hi all! Received my new -93 yesterday ;-))) Love the look of the new unit! This is my first Oppo, so anticipating great things! ;-)

Couple of issues found (as expected ;-)...I will be calling Oppo tomorrow (I doubt they are in on Sunday's ;-)

Findings...so far... ;-)

SACD - I find that I'm not able to send DSD over HDMI to my Integra DHC-80.2...no output. Works fine using the PCM setting. The Integra is also fairly new, so I'm not sure whether the problem is with the 93 or my 80.2. Anyone else having similar results?

'My Network' - per the manual (page 43), this is an 'experimental feature' and is unsupported. My Integra has similar functionality (playback from servers) so thought I would compare. When drilling down through my server folders, each level was very sluggish to respond (longer than i would have thought), but worked till i got to the 5th directory level, then it just hung up (though i do have a large quantity of folders (900+) at that level, so they may not have enough memory allocated to support this.

Remote Controller - I'm not impressed with the new controller...sorry ;-). My -93 is in a built-in shelf unit with a glass front, and is positioned within the rack up near the top...I have to hold the remote up fairly high from my seated position to get the -93 to respond. Note that I don't have this problem with my Harmony One (and yes, the Oppo -83 IR codes work great ;-). Also, it seems that you have to push/hold the buttons down fairly hard to get a response...I'm just use to soft buttons i guess ;-)

Over all picture/sound is awesome! Can't wait to get the 'bugs' worked out ;-)

Glen

Same problem here SACD only work with the PCM no DSD. My 83 works with DSD. I am using a RXV863 Yamaha receiver and the HDMI1 on the OPPO.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Blu Ray Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page