Official OPPO BDP-93 Owner's Thread - Page 250 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 22Likes

post #7471 of 27027 Old 03-05-2011, 06:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
OK...from several searches in the thread, I can see that the settings for my new 93 should be 'output' 1080p and 1080p24 set to auto. Maybe I'm missing something; however, is there a way to tell that the actual output is 24p while the movie is playing? My ol Panny (not as nice as this Oppo, BTW), would show the output momentarily on the upper rt hand corner and I'm just looking to confirm that the output is 24..my Sammy LCD does accept 24fps output.

Thnx, in advance, from an Oppo newb!

Ptree:

Sometimes, it's only afterwards, I find that I'm not there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7472 of 27027 Old 03-05-2011, 06:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scolumbo View Post

The best workaround since the Oppo doesn't play ISO's is to create flac files of your DVD-A's. I can't help you with the Mac, but DVD-Audio Explorer, foobar2000 (with the DVD-A plugin), and DVD Audio Extractor are good for Windows, and there are probably a few others. DVD-Audio Explorer and foobar2000 are freeware. I believe there is a DVD-Audio Explorer version for the Mac.

edit: A quick search seems to indicate you can run foobar2000 on Mac OS X. If you already have the ISO, it's very quick to rip the flac files from the ISO using foobar. Just make sure you have the DVD-A plug-in.

FYI- Foobar2000 with the DVD-A plugin does not support 5.1, or 4.1 for that matter. I'll try something else.
post #7473 of 27027 Old 03-05-2011, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robsis View Post

OK...from several searches in the thread, I can see that the settings for my new 93 should be 'output' 1080p and 1080p24 set to auto. Maybe I'm missing something; however, is there a way to tell that the actual output is 24p while the movie is playing? My ol Panny (not as nice as this Oppo, BTW), would show the output momentarily on the upper rt hand corner and I'm just looking to confirm that the output is 24..my Sammy LCD does accept 24fps output.

If you hit display on the LCD, doesn't it shows the signal is receiving?
post #7474 of 27027 Old 03-05-2011, 08:09 AM

I've hooked up an NTFS partitioned eSata drive (a Lacie partioned on an IBM laptop) to the OPPO and it hasn't been working well. It takes a very long time to read the drive and stalls periodically. I've been converting a bunch of British DVDs with Handbrake and MakeMKV on my Mac, and they do stream ok although it takes forever to load them. But the blurays are another story. One stutters horribly, which may be due to the fact that it is not 24fps, but it stutters even when in 1080i. The other one looks fine, but I can't get the files sufficiently organized to get the subtitles working and so on. I've tried the AVCHD folder trick but that doesn't seem to work with these mkv files, perhaps because I'm creating the folders on my Mac (I can write to the disc with Paragon NTFS). I know nothing about the Windows world so that may be the problem. Any suggestions, or can you refer me to some part of this thread where these problems are addressed (and sorry to be so long winded)?
post #7475 of 27027 Old 03-05-2011, 08:22 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by aarongarrett View Post

I've hooked up an NTFS partitioned eSata drive (a Lacie partioned on an IBM laptop) to the OPPO and it hasn't been working well. It takes a very long time to read the drive and stalls periodically. I've been converting a bunch of British DVDs with Handbrake and MakeMKV on my Mac, and they do stream ok although it takes forever to load them. But the blurays are another story. One stutters horribly, which may be due to the fact that it is not 24fps, but it stutters even when in 1080i. The other one looks fine, but I can't get the files sufficiently organized to get the subtitles working and so on. I've tried the AVCHD folder trick but that doesn't seem to work with these mkv files, perhaps because I'm creating the folders on my Mac (I can write to the disc with Paragon NTFS). I know nothing about the Windows world so that may be the problem. Any suggestions, or can you refer me to some part of this thread where these problems are addressed (and sorry to be so long winded)?

I would start by eliminating variables to find out where the specific faults are. Then add them back in one by one when you get something working.

Try media files on a USB stick or optical disc first. If that doesn't work there is something wrong with the encoding (or something not supported).

The AVCHD trick is only for Blu-ray video (the BDMV structures), not for media files like MKV.

The Oppo BDP-83 DLNA/UPnP thread is mostly about network access, but the media file people are more likely to be concentrated there.

-Bill

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Unofficial OPPO FAQS:
|
|
|

post #7476 of 27027 Old 03-05-2011, 08:41 AM

Quote:

I had a problem with my bluray copy of Unstoppable I ripped with Makemkv. The rip was "succssful", but when I played it by way of USB it would stop -freeze- after about 3 minutes. I ripped it to a different portable hard drive and had the same issue at the same point in the movie. I ripped it again as an mkv with DVDFAB Bluray ripper and the movie played through without a hitch. Makemkv seems to work great for SD DVD, but I won't be using that solution for Bluray again. BTW, as a test I used DVDFAB to rip an M2TS version so I could do an A/B with DTS and DTSMA. Wow, the separation and "fullness" was immediately apparent. Don't let anone tell you there is only a minor difference. It is profound.
post #7477 of 27027 Old 03-05-2011, 08:59 AM

Will this player work with netflix in Canada.
post #7478 of 27027 Old 03-05-2011, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

I've tried the AVCHD folder trick but that doesn't seem to work with these mkv files, perhaps because I'm creating the folders on my Mac (I can write to the disc with Paragon NTFS). I know nothing about the Windows world so that may be the problem. Any suggestions, or can you refer me to some part of this thread where these problems are addressed (and sorry to be so long winded)?

The AVCHD trick is ONLY for playing a ripped 1:1(File:File) blu ray structure. The AVCHD folder trick is that the player recognized the files as if it was the actual blu ray disc so it loads and plays menus just like the real disc. This trick only works for files formatted for blu ray disc AFIK. All other files are played just like anything else, you navigate to the file and press enter, just like on your computer.

Good luck

EJ

RX-Z9 to KHORNS/SVS & FULL HERITAGE 8.3 HT Setup

Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it
post #7479 of 27027 Old 03-05-2011, 09:26 AM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomefs View Post

Will this player work with netflix in Canada.

Yes, but not yet, they are waiting for certification which is supposed to happen in March.

post #7480 of 27027 Old 03-05-2011, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchPope View Post

Yes, but not yet, they are waiting for certification which is supposed to happen in March.

Good. I am anxious to try Netflix on the player.

Will this be advertised on the Oppo site?
post #7481 of 27027 Old 03-05-2011, 10:27 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked: 866
Quote:
Originally Posted by robsis View Post

Unfortunately no. The 83's front panel will display the actual output frame rate if you change resolution to something else and back, but the 93 only displays the output resolution. The 83's front panel also announces the audio format coming off the disc each time it changes.

Both of those features on the 83 came in a later firmware release, so perhaps these are things that will show up on the 93 as well in future firmware. I haven't checked to figure out if the 93's front panel has enough characters to display this info, though.

At present, the only way to discover the output frame rate from the 93 is to get the device at the other end of the cable to tell you.

The audio format coming off the disc can be found by bring up the 93's on-screen display (lower left corner). The lower right corner will tell you the frame rate coming off the disc, but that's not the same as the output frame rate.
--Bob

. -- Need personal consultation/training?
post #7482 of 27027 Old 03-05-2011, 10:46 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:

We've had a number of reports of problems with eSATA drives that turned out to be due to a bad cable connection. Apparently some cables don't insert fully in some sockets. One person verified this by opening the drive enclosure so that he could get to the socket that way. Since you can read the drive, that may not be your problem, but it is worth a look.

As others have pointed out, the AVCHD trick is for playing BDMV folders, not for just any random file format.

Stuttering often results from trying to play video based content (1080i/60) at /24. There's no way that can work cleanly (there's no way to figure out which frames to discard).

Now the player itself won't put out /24 for such files even if you have 1080p/24 set to ON, but if you have your display set somehow to force /24 refresh regardless of the nature of the input, then that would give you gross stuttering.
--Bob

post #7483 of 27027 Old 03-05-2011, 10:58 AM

Thanks for all your helpful suggestions. Will report back! (it's going out through a projector, not a display BTW).
post #7484 of 27027 Old 03-05-2011, 11:03 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:

Thanks for all your helpful suggestions. Will report back! (it's going out through a projector, not a display BTW).

Projectors are displays, too!
--Bob

post #7485 of 27027 Old 03-05-2011, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

Projectors are displays, too!
--Bob

True!
post #7486 of 27027 Old 03-05-2011, 01:02 PM

Liked: 11
I backed up a few of my Blu-rays to my Synology 210j NAS, ripped using DVDFab. I only took the chapter with the film itself, no menus/etc. I tried just a straight rip, then encoded as a 10mbps h264 file, both in .MKV container format.

The 93 is able to navigate to the files just fine, but they won't play properly. The first frame appears, then the player hangs and won't respond to commands, so you have to cycle the power before you can do anything else.

I've read through this thread extensively trying to find a fix. Someone said the MKV has to be in a folder called "AVCHD", but that doesn't help.

Any ideas? This feature was one of the main reasons I got the 93.

Thanks
post #7487 of 27027 Old 03-05-2011, 01:16 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_phew View Post

I backed up a few of my Blu-rays to my Synology 210j NAS, ripped using DVDFab. I only took the chapter with the film itself, no menus/etc. I tried just a straight rip, then encoded as a 10mbps h264 file, both in .MKV container format.

The 93 is able to navigate to the files just fine, but they won't play properly. The first frame appears, then the player hangs and won't respond to commands, so you have to cycle the power before you can do anything else.

I've read through this thread extensively trying to find a fix. Someone said the MKV has to be in a folder called "AVCHD", but that doesn't help.

Any ideas? This feature was one of the main reasons I got the 93.

Thanks

The AVCHD trick is only for BR video, not media files like MKV.

I'm not sure about DVDfab, but there was a issue with Handbrake producing variable bit rate files the OPPO could not play. This is expected to be fixed shortly. Constant bit rate works until then.

If that's no good, contact OPPO and offer them a sample file.

-Bill

|

Unofficial OPPO FAQS:
|
|
|

post #7488 of 27027 Old 03-05-2011, 01:30 PM

Yesterday, I replaced a $120 WD HDTV Live Plus unit with the BDP-93, because I was dissatisfied with the upscaling picture quality of the WD for standard definition (480i) content saved to a USB drive (especially in comparison to the upconversion/upscaling quality of my Sony BDP-BX1 when inserting ordinary DVDs). For the convenience of not needing to load & unload discs, and to prevent handling damage to our Blu Rays & DVDs, I have ripped all of them to a 2TB SATA 7200 RPM drive in a USB 2.0 enclosure.

Now that I have the BDP-93 installed for only one day, I have the following initial findings, and welcome to hear other users' feedback:

* As compared to the WD HDTV Live Plus, menu response time is much slower
* As compared to the WD HDTV Live Plus, the subtitles of standard definition VOB files saved to a USB drive are very poor. The font is too large and thick. Moreover, the WD HDTV Live Plus allows users to adjust the subtitle font size and border (although I never found this necessary, as the default appeared fine).
* When playing a M2TS file (Blu Ray ripped to USB drive using TsMuxeR), the BDP-93 does not provide any subtitles. (The WD HDTV Live Plus provided subtitles with the very same M2TS files). As a consequence, when I watch a foreign movie (like Pan's Labyrinth), I can't follow what's going on.
* When playing a MKV file (Blu Ray ripped to USB drive using MakeMKV) on the BDP-93, the movie frequently freezes up. To resolve this, I need to rewind several frames and press Play again. (The WD HDTV Live Plus had different problems with the same files -- it would sometimes stop playing audio, in which case I needed to stop playback and resume).
* When playing standard definition VOB files (DVDs ripped to USB drive using AnyDVD) with subtitles on, the movie frequently (perhaps once every 15 minutes) briefly freezes then resumes, and the subtitles are off (and I need to reactivate them again).
* When playing standard definition VOB files (DVDs ripped to USB drive using AnyDVD), the movie frequently (perhaps once every 15 minutes) briefly freezes then resumes. This occurred with multiple files.
* In the one day since I've had the BDP-93 installed, it appears to buffer and display Netflix streaming content better than the WD HDTV Live Plus using the same wireless 802.11 N connection and broadband router. There are less video compression artifacts or rebuffering.
* When browsing folders on a USB drive, the Left button should serve as [Folder up], as it does on the WD HDTV Live Plus. Otherwise, when viewing a folder with scores of titles, a user has to navigate all the way to the top of the list to [cd ..] to the previous folder. (The WD HDTV Live Plus, however, did not have the page up, page down feature, which makes browsing many titles easier).
post #7489 of 27027 Old 03-05-2011, 01:39 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by esoxlucios View Post

* When browsing folders on a USB drive, the Left button should serve as [Folder up], as it does on the WD HDTV Live Plus. Otherwise, when viewing a folder with scores of titles, a user has to navigate all the way to the top of the list to [cd ..] to the previous folder. (The WD HDTV Live Plus, however, did not have the page up, page down feature, which makes browsing many titles easier).

Doesn't the RETURN button pop you up a level?

-Bill

|

Unofficial OPPO FAQS:
|
|
|

post #7490 of 27027 Old 03-05-2011, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

The AVCHD trick is only for BR video, not media files like MKV.

I'm not sure about DVDfab, but there was a issue with Handbrake producing variable bit rate files the OPPO could not play. This is expected to be fixed shortly. Constant bit rate works until then.

If that's no good, contact OPPO and offer them a sample file.

-Bill

I just noticed that Synology released a new DSM last week, but updating that didn't help the problem. Any MKV file I try to play from the NAS freezes the Oppo.

The files are encoded with fixed bit rate. I noticed several people earlier in this thread having the same problem with this and other Synology NAS models from last year and older.

I'll contact Oppo, but I suspect they'll blame Synology, and Synology will blame Oppo. That's usually how these things go....
post #7491 of 27027 Old 03-05-2011, 02:19 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:

I just noticed that Synology released a new DSM last week, but updating that didn't help the problem. Any MKV file I try to play from the NAS freezes the Oppo.

The files are encoded with fixed bit rate. I noticed several people earlier in this thread having the same problem with this and other Synology NAS models from last year and older.

I'll contact Oppo, but I suspect they'll blame Synology, and Synology will blame Oppo. That's usually how these things go....

Try an example on local storage. If it works then the NAS or DLNA in general is the issue. You might try a different DLNA server on the network.

-Bill

|

Unofficial OPPO FAQS:
|
|
|

post #7492 of 27027 Old 03-05-2011, 02:58 PM

i have no problem playing MKV stored on a ReadyNAS. So the pb is certainly the Synology.

btw, I did not test movies on a USB stick or on eSATA. Do you see the cover art stored in the folders in this mode?

If only the Oppo had an interface like Boxee that would be the best.
post #7493 of 27027 Old 03-05-2011, 03:48 PM

I can't play them off the USB stick either. Maybe the bitrate is too high?

Here's one sample file I've tried:

http://forums.plexapp.com/index.php/...e-earth-movie/

Even the lowest bitrate sample, 20mbps, won't play on the 93, either streamed or from a flash drive.

What is the max bitrate the 93 can play?
post #7494 of 27027 Old 03-05-2011, 04:14 PM

Quote:

Even the lowest bitrate sample, 20mbps, won't play on the 93, either streamed or from a flash drive.

Some of the Bluray M2TS and MKV read from usb are between 37 and 39 mbps. Regarding freezing, look at my previous post this morning regarding Makemkv.
post #7495 of 27027 Old 03-05-2011, 04:41 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
With Twonky media server, I can stream a recently ripped m2ts 1080p/24 video with 33225kbps rate and DTS-MSTR HD audio.
post #7496 of 27027 Old 03-05-2011, 04:47 PM

Quote:

I had a quick look at one of the test files in MediaInfo (I don't have a 93 yet to test it with) but I couldn't see any obvious reason why it wouldn't play:
it only had 4 reference frames and was well within L4.1 specs. There's no audio, so it can't be a problem with the audio codec. Is it possible it's the way the MKV file is muxed? Remuxing it (MKVToolNix will do this) might help.
post #7497 of 27027 Old 03-05-2011, 05:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Hi guys,

I'm a little perplexed and looking for some suggestions.

I recently ripped several DVD-A's to hard disk and have the hard disk hooked up to the Oppo for streaming. It works fine but I noticed the sound quality is not as good as playing the DVD-A disc itself on my Denon 5910CI Universal Disc Player via Denon Link. The sound via the Denon player is much richer with a much broader midrange and I can hear individual instruments better. This occurs on every ripped disc so it isn't just one disc or one file. The difference is dramatic.

I have confirmed the flac files are fine and my Denon AVP A1HDCI (pre/pro) is reading the same input signal (PCM Multi Channel Direct) and I confirmed the flac files are what they are supposed to be (IE, 24b/96khz, etc.). I even played the stereo downmixes and they too sounded tinny.

Anyone have any suggestions? I find it hard to believe the Denon Link would be so much better than HDMI from the Oppo - They are both digital signals - but I guess anything is possible.
post #7498 of 27027 Old 03-05-2011, 05:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau
Yeah it's a mystery since the BD-Java code being put out by most studios is simply godawful. It's hard to see why they bother.

One bright note is that BD-Java is vanishing from 3D titles because the Sony PS3 doesn't have the horsepower to handle both 3D and BD-Java, and nobody wants to release a title that won't play on the PS3.

Anyway, I think Oppo will come through on this. Good cooking takes time.
--Bob
My problem was I had source direct selected, once setting to Auto and rebooting zoom worked fine on 3D non BD-J
post #7499 of 27027 Old 03-05-2011, 05:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau
Use explicit 1080p instead of Auto. Some displays publish their "preferred" resolution as 1080i even though they can accept 1080p, and so that's what Auto uses.

And then since the resolution is 1080i, that means you can't get 1080p/24 when appropriate.

So set resolution 1080p, and 1080p/24 Auto, and you should be good to go.

And yes, use of Source Direct is what's making Zoom not work for you even on discs without BD-Java. Source Direct bypasses the video processor.
--Bob
That should be in the FAQ
post #7500 of 27027 Old 03-05-2011, 05:44 PM
Advanced Member

Several people have recently mentioned they are having problems with streaming their MKV files to the Oppo - Oppo hangs, either immediately or after a few minutes.

Make sure you are NOT including DTS-HD Master tracks in the MKV. First, the Oppo doesn't support either HD lossless tracks, but in the case of the DTS-HD, there is a bug and it hangs. (In the other case, it just plays the Dolby Digital encoding.)

This (and menus/chapters) is what drove me to connecting external storage of AVCHD folders.

eric

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page