post #811 of 26928 Old 11-28-2010, 11:17 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perpendicular View Post

Send your info directly to OPPO.
They might have you re-install the current firmware.
Or, replace your unit due to a hardware malfunction.

I'll send them all my issues probably tomorrow. I have only had this setup for 24 hours now. I want to 'wring it out' some more to see if any thing else pops up. I'm really not TOO concerned until the next firmware comes along....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 26928 Old 11-28-2010, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain;19552092The more recent version was colorized by the [COLOR="DarkOrange" View Post

orange[/color]-and-teal paint factory.

-Bill

No kidding! Was that Ted Turner's idea? I guess whoever it was got a good price on surplus ink/paint.
post #813 of 26928 Old 11-28-2010, 11:20 AM

Liked: 13
FexEx delivered our 93 on Friday. Had planned to post this last night but got caught up watching Netflix. Speaking of which we have been pleasantly surprised. In two evenings of viewing their HD (720p) streaming it appears comparable to DVD PQ on the 83 with even SD watchable which turned out even better after enabling NR(2). We did note PQ varying over time on the same movie. Netflix problem? Comcast problem? We don't know as streaming is new to us. By the way, steaming internet video along with 3D capability was one of the main reasons for purchasing the 93.

Should mention that these observations are being made with the 93 & 83 connected via HDMI to an Integra DTR-8.8 using a Sony VPL-60 projected onto a 96 screen.

Friday evening we compared Hairspray (Blue-ray) on the 93 & 83. The reds were redder on the 83 but appeared more accurate on the 93 which had slightly more detail as well. Star Wars (2009) (Blue-ray) last night gave us slightly better skin tones and slightly blacker blacks. Would not throw the 83 out after this but likely to choose the 93 for viewing Blue-rays.

Last night watched Star Wars-Revenge of the Sith (DVD) where the differences between the 93 & 83 became apparent. The 83 was smoother with many fewer digital artifacts. At this point I'd keep your 83 for DVD viewing until Oppo irons out the PQ on the 93 which we're confident they will do.

For me the audio nut I've saved the best until last. These observations are using SACD streaming to the Integra via DSD. Started with the AIX Records sampler which uses Blue-ray video and Dolby True HD at 96/24. (Note: most Dolby True HD & DTS HD Master Audio encoded discs stream at 48/24 or lower and you can tell the difference.) The video was excellent as was the AQ. The PQ & AQ of the Legends of Jazz Blue-ray was great as well. Friends of ours when first viewing this could not get over the experience. Finally, checked what seems like the best recorded music disc to date: 2L TrondheimSolistene Divertimenti. The multichannel SACD disc transports you to the venue. However, the Blue-ray DTS HD Master Audio at 196/24 disc is just simply amazing! It puts you in the venue and paints the walls. Have yet to try streaming music files off of a computer or hard disc. This is in our future. By the way, all discs played flawlessly.

Hope to get to checking out the analog section of the 93 compared to the 83SE later today or tomorrow on surround sound and multichannel music. Then will set up both players in a high resolution stereo system to check out the stereo DACs. Currently, the 83SE is the reference player taking the place of a Cambridge 840C CD player and a Sony SCD 777 SACD player. Just seems more natural and engaging while retaining the detail.

Under clearing (it happens sometimes) Seattle skies, Gill
post #814 of 26928 Old 11-28-2010, 11:22 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z06_Pilot View Post

yes, I included that in my email to OPPO as well. Call me lazy, but that's how I end a viewing session on my 83. pull the disk and hit the power button..

I also mentioned it to them as that may be related to the issue with the drawer closing reliably via the open/close button

jeff

Yes, these BOTH sound like a hardware problem in your player.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #815 of 26928 Old 11-28-2010, 11:24 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Just got my BDP-93 and want to know if anyone has compared using HDMI PCM (Have a HDMI 1.1 Denon 5805CI Receiver) with player decoding VS. analog 7.1 out??

The reason I ask is because I upgraded from a Panasonic BD-DMP35 and had the player decode lossless and send PCM but upgraded to the Oppo (for numerous other reasons obviously) because it has analog audio out and have heard that it is superior to all other players (other than 83SE in this regard) but before I buy uber-expensive analog cables I'd like to know what you guys think??

To make a long story short, since my Denon 5805CI doesn't internally decode lossless tracks but does have HDMI 1.1 and can/does accept PCM from player decoding, in your opinion(s) will I have better quality over HDMI/PCM or Analog Audio??

Also, with the lip sync issues, my receiver can adjust delay per input, so I think I can get that straightened out, but would I be better off going straight to my Epson 6500UB from HDMI 1 and use Audio to Receiver from HDMI 2 or go through the receiver (Save me an expensive 25' HDMI Cable purchase) with HDMI 1?

--Jason

Thanks to EVERYONE that Helps Make These Threads so Awesome!

post #816 of 26928 Old 11-28-2010, 11:24 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodeye38135 View Post

Yes. Power on, tray open, pushing the power button on the machine nothing happens. However, pressing the remote 'power' button, the tray closes and the machine shuts off.

Call Oppo. This is not normal.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #817 of 26928 Old 11-28-2010, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post

The other point is the tone of some posts (this is not directed at any specific poster). I've been getting the impression that some people bought the pre-release without fully grasping what that actually meant and seem to have expected the player to be functioning 100% at this point. Pre-release means that the player's firmware is still in the development stages and it should be expected that some things aren't going to work well for now. So we're going to run into cases where some people have to work around various problems until they're fixed. If people aren't comfortable dealing with the hassles that come with working around issues of this sort, they really would be better off waiting until the official release of the player when the majority of bugs will have been taken care of. If the problems turn out to be too much hassle to work around, the player can be returned at any time up until 30 days after the player is officially released, only costing the original shipping - that should be enough to satisfy just about anyone as there's very little risk involved other than perhaps some time wasted working around some problems.

So it's one thing to post "Feature X isn't working for me - anyone else? Anyone come up with a workaround? I've reported this to OPPO.", but quite another to post "Feature X doesn't work, this thing sucks, OPPO is a bunch of so and sos, I'm mad at the world!!!". Hopefully the difference is clear to everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian-HD View Post

I am glad you posted this. As part of the 83 EAP, I had many issues with CDs. This was reported to Oppo and I was told to send those discs in. Oppo fixed the issue with FW. The 83 is as good as it is from good customer feedback to Oppo. Later, it was very nice to get the two blu ray discs in the mail.

+1 on gsr's post also as I was one of the 1st 50 in the EAP for the 83 and knew what I was purchasing was an unfinished product.

Willie

Pioneer Elite PRO-151FD

Zektor MAS7.1

Classé CA-2200/CA-5200

Oppo BDP-105, Denon DVD-5910CI, Cambridge 752BD, Cambridge 640C V2

Paradigm Signature S8, Paradigm Signature ADP1

Paradigm Signature ADP3, Paradigm Signature C5

REL R-505 Sub (2)

Oppo BDP-93, BDP-103D, Pioneer BDP-320

Sony BDP-S790

post #818 of 26928 Old 11-28-2010, 11:27 AM

Not to get off topic, but does buying in on this 93 prerelease get you on the ins for the next model? Or does Oppo tend to make the prerelease offer via email signup like they did with this one?
post #819 of 26928 Old 11-28-2010, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by PugetsoundHD View Post

Hope to get to checking out the analog section of the 93 compared to the 83SE later today or tomorrow on surround sound and multichannel music.

I'm very curious to hear what your thoughts will be on this.

OPPO BETA GROUP
post #820 of 26928 Old 11-28-2010, 12:06 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:

I too am having a couple of issues with the 93. Some have already been mentioned but I'll just list what I have so far:

When I open the tray with the remote, it might take 2 or 3 tries to get it to close by pressing the button on the machine. Yes, I pressed it firmly,etc. That's what made me notice the problem. Works fine, every time with the remote.

I have the truncated problem when jumping track to track on music cd's too. But not only is it truncated, the music 'fades in' on each track too.

I have pops like on vinyl records but only on SACD's or HDCD's. Seems to work fine on 'regular' cd's.

I can't use the 5.1 down mix option. Have to use the 7.1 down mix option or else I get no sound through the speakers. I have a 5.1 system.

Hey...Netflix works!

I copied all the settings from my 83 to the 93 so that the setup is the same. Won't be selling my 83, that's for sure.......

Greg

The pops you are reporting are not normal.

Given the front panel button issue you also report, I think you may have a hardware problem in your unit (or possibly an incorrect firmware install).

Talk to Oppo and mention the specific discs while you are at it.

The audio startup delay on HDMI 1 is a known issue, and definitely on the list.

I don't understand your 5.1 down mix issue. Keep in mind that the Speaker Configuration down mix setting ONLY applies to the multi-channel analog output.

Down mix for HDMI happens automatically as part of the HDMI handshake.

If your 5.1 issue is with SACD, be sure you have the 93 set to use the multi channel layer in Setup and that your output video resolution is 720p or higher.
--Bob

post #821 of 26928 Old 11-28-2010, 12:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckenisell View Post

If the tray is open and the 93 is on, when you press the power button, the tray does not close and the power does not turn off.

I hate to state the obvious, but this could just be that you're not actually pressing the button. The power button is flush, and it's BELOW the power light. The natural tendency is to press on the light, especially if you're looking at the player from above. So make sure you're actually pressing the button.
post #822 of 26928 Old 11-28-2010, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

I hate to state the obvious, but this could just be that you're not actually pressing the button. The power button is flush, and it's BELOW the power light. The natural tendency is to press on the light, especially if you're looking at the player from above. So make sure you're actually pressing the button.

Yes I'm pushing the button.... I can 'feel' the tactile action of the switch.
post #823 of 26928 Old 11-28-2010, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

The pops you are reporting are not normal.

Given the front panel button issue you also report, I think you may have a hardware problem in your unit (or possibly an incorrect firmware install).

Talk to Oppo and mention the specific discs while you are at it.

The audio startup delay on HDMI 1 is a known issue, and definitely on the list.

I don't understand your 5.1 down mix issue. Keep in mind that the Speaker Configuration down mix setting ONLY applies to the multi-channel analog output.

Down mix for HDMI happens automatically as part of the HDMI handshake.

If your 5.1 issue is with SACD, be sure you have the 93 set to use the multi channel layer in Setup and that your output video resolution is 720p or higher.
--Bob

SACD is set to multi channel and resolution is 720p. If I select 5.1 down mix without changing anything else, no sound from the speakers (but the player is playing as I can see the counter counting). When I go back to 7.1, I have sound. Beats me....
post #824 of 26928 Old 11-28-2010, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogone View Post

This player is bad to the bone!...Has anyone had success with playing 3D material? I am still waiting for my 3D projector to show up so I can't test...

Successfully played one 3D disc a couple of nights ago. Worked just fine. Audio via BDP-93's HDMI-2 port to Onkyo TX-NR905, video via BDP-93's HDMI-1 port to Mitsubishi 3DC-1000 (3DA-1) checkerboard adapter to Mitsubishi WD-73833 DLP.

Pretty cool.
post #825 of 26928 Old 11-28-2010, 01:09 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by jevansoh View Post

To make a long story short, since my Denon 5805CI doesn't internally decode lossless tracks but does have HDMI 1.1 and can/does accept PCM from player decoding, in your opinion(s) will I have better quality over HDMI/PCM or Analog Audio??
--Jason

Based on my reading of the BDP-83/93 threads there's no significant difference for most of us. There are those who will always report that the analog solution is best, but short of investing in high end cables to test for myself, I went with an HDMI/LPCM connection using our Denon 3807.
post #826 of 26928 Old 11-28-2010, 01:11 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:

SACD is set to multi channel and resolution is 720p. If I select 5.1 down mix without changing anything else, no sound from the speakers (but the player is playing as I can see the counter counting). When I go back to 7.1, I have sound. Beats me....

Well right now I think you have a hardware problem, so I'd table this one until your button issues are resolved.
--Bob

post #827 of 26928 Old 11-28-2010, 01:12 PM

Just tried something with the 'tray open but won't close and turn off with the power button ' problem. If I push the button once, or twice or more times nothing happens. But if I push the button rapidly, basically as fast as I can push it repeatedly, after about 10-12 pushes, the tray closes and the machine turns off. I would say it's a hardware problem.....
post #828 of 26928 Old 11-28-2010, 01:13 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerwi View Post

Toe,

I wouldn't lump bitstreaming audio from the 93 into the possible 1/2 zoom functionality that you are referring to as a potential problem.

I have yet to hear a difference when bitstreaming via my AVR from any of my blu-ray transports (Oppo, Sony and Pioneer). I don't know what the fellow forum member is hearing, but something else seems to be at play here.

Willie

Yes that was me. Sorry this has nothing to do with the Oppo and everything to do with my Arcam P1000 amp crapping out on me. It's now buzzing and needs repair
post #829 of 26928 Old 11-28-2010, 01:16 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jevansoh View Post

Just got my BDP-93 and want to know if anyone has compared using HDMI PCM (Have a HDMI 1.1 Denon 5805CI Receiver) with player decoding VS. analog 7.1 out??

The reason I ask is because I upgraded from a Panasonic BD-DMP35 and had the player decode lossless and send PCM but upgraded to the Oppo (for numerous other reasons obviously) because it has analog audio out and have heard that it is superior to all other players (other than 83SE in this regard) but before I buy uber-expensive analog cables I'd like to know what you guys think??

Also, with the lip sync issues, my receiver can adjust delay per input, so I think I can get that straightened out, but would I be better off going straight to my Epson 6500UB from HDMI 1 and use Audio to Receiver from HDMI 2 or go through the receiver (Save me an expensive 25' HDMI Cable purchase) with HDMI 1?

--Jason

Lip sync is still being adjusted in the Oppo firmware, so don't spend a lot of effort on that just yet.

My recommendation is that you use HDMI LPCM for audio instead of the multi-channel analog outputs.

Of course it is easy enough to hook up both and judge for yourself, but odds are you will find your receiver provides some features for HDMI input (e.g., surround sound processing when playing stereo content) that it doesn't provide for analog input.

The analog quality from the 93 is exceptional, but the audio on disc is digital and if your receiver "does the right thing" with the HDMI LPCM input, then that's the natural choice.
--Bob

post #830 of 26928 Old 11-28-2010, 01:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PugetsoundHD View Post

Friday evening we compared Hairspray (Blue-ray) on the 93 & 83. The reds were redder on the 83 but appeared more accurate on the 93 which had slightly more detail as well. Star Wars (2009) (Blue-ray) last night gave us slightly better skin tones and slightly blacker blacks. Would not throw the 83 out after this but likely to choose the 93 for viewing Blue-rays.

You could really tell a discernible difference in blu ray pq between the 83 and 93 side by side? I'm not calling you a liar, I'm just very curious because I myself have been very curious about this, and unfortunately I packaged away my 83 in prep to sell it, and so can no longer do a side by side comparison of the two on blu ray pq, like I had wanted to. So I was very curious about this. Did you have the hdmi settings exactly the same on both as well? ie. same color space and bit depth?
post #831 of 26928 Old 11-28-2010, 01:21 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:

Just tried something with the 'tray open but won't close and turn off with the power button ' problem. If I push the button once, or twice or more times nothing happens. But if I push the button rapidly, basically as fast as I can push it repeatedly, after about 10-12 pushes, the tray closes and the machine turns off. I would say it's a hardware problem.....

Yep. That or there's a problem with the firmware install on your unit.

Oppo may ask you do a re-install of the firmware (which is a snap) just in case that provides a quick fix.

Also there is a hard reset of the player which can sometimes cure really oddball problems. That involves erasing Persistent Storage, then turning the player off, removing ALL the connections including the power cord, and letting it sit for an hour. Then re-connect, and see if your problem has magically disappeared.

-----------------------------------------------

One other thing to try is to press the power button once and then just let the player sit for a minute to see if it powers off after a delay (with or without closing the tray). If it powers off, and the tray remained open, then that indicates the firmware for the tray is not responding properly and so the player is acting as if it has crashed. The delayed power off is a separate power off sequence the player includes so that you can always force a power off even if the player has crashed as regards everything else.
--Bob

post #832 of 26928 Old 11-28-2010, 01:26 PM

Quote:

Yep. That or there's a problem with the firmware install on your unit.

Oppo may ask you do a re-install of the firmware (which is a snap) just in case that provides a quick fix.

Also there is a hard reset of the player which can sometimes cure really oddball problems. That involves erasing Persistent Storage, then turning the player off, removing ALL the connections including the power cord, and letting it sit for an hour. Then re-connect, and see if your problem has magically disappeared.
--Bob

Time to compose a detailed letter of all my issues. I'll email tech support later today and maybe call tomorrow. Still not TOO worried. I'm sure they will fix me up....
post #833 of 26928 Old 11-28-2010, 01:28 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:

Time to compose a detailed letter of all my issues. I'll email tech support later today and maybe call tomorrow. Still not TOO worried. I'm sure they will fix me up....

Of course they will. If you've never dealt with Oppo tech support before you are in for a pleasant shock.
--Bob

post #834 of 26928 Old 11-28-2010, 01:33 PM
Read the FAQ!

Here's an audio tip for the analog crowd here:

In Setup there is a setting for the maximum sampling rate for PCM sent out over the Optical digital connection. That defaults to 192KHz (the highest setting) but if you use Optical you may have to reduce that if your Receiver can't handle the higher Optical data rate.

Some folks have a tendency to reduce that setting "just in case" even though they AREN'T using Optical, or have a modern receiver that's perfectly happier with the higher Optical rate.

However, don't lower that setting unless you HAVE TO, because the higher setting *ALSO* results in better quality analog audio output!
--Bob

post #835 of 26928 Old 11-28-2010, 01:37 PM
Read the FAQ!

Video quality is still being fine tuned, particularly on HDMI 1. So as good as it is now, I think the odds are good it will get even better as the firmware evolves.

In particular, for folks who are doing detailed video calibrations at the moment, expect that you will want to RECHECK that calibration with new firmware at least between now and full public release.
--Bob

post #836 of 26928 Old 11-28-2010, 01:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Video quality is still being fine tuned, particularly on HDMI 1. So as good as it is now, I think the odds are good it will get even better as the firmware evolves.

In particular, for folks who are doing detailed video calibrations at the moment, expect that you will want to RECHECK that calibration with new firmware at least between now and full public release.
--Bob

fine tuned for blu ray pq as well?
post #837 of 26928 Old 11-28-2010, 01:43 PM

Ok Bob, here's one for you.

Power on, tray open, push the power button one time. After 1 minute 30 secs nothing happens so I push the power button again, tray closes and powers off imediately. Tried again with same results but this time I pushed the button at 1 minute, tray closes and powers off. Tried same experiment several times pushing the button at shorter and shorter intervals and the end result is, the tray will never close by pushing the power button once, BUT if I wait at least 15 seconds to push the button again it will close and power off. Has to be at least 15 seconds (unless I do the rapid multiple button push which will also turn it off).
Weird!
post #838 of 26928 Old 11-28-2010, 01:52 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makaveli Tha Don View Post

fine tuned for blu ray pq as well?

Yes.
--Bob

post #839 of 26928 Old 11-28-2010, 01:54 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:

Ok Bob, here's one for you.

Power on, tray open, push the power button one time. After 1 minute 30 secs nothing happens so I push the power button again, tray closes and powers off imediately. Tried again with same results but this time I pushed the button at 1 minute, tray closes and powers off. Tried same experiment several times pushing the button at shorter and shorter intervals and the end result is, the tray will never close by pushing the power button once, BUT if I wait at least 15 seconds to push the button again it will close and power off. Has to be at least 15 seconds (unless I do the rapid multiple button push which will also turn it off).
Weird!

Well I think I know what's happening, but really there's no point in going into the details. Oppo tech support will get you fixed up.
--Bob

post #840 of 26928 Old 11-28-2010, 01:55 PM
Advanced Member

For those that asked.

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Blu Ray Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version