Official OPPO BDP-93 Owner's Thread - Page 298 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 22Likes

post #8911 of 27028 Old 04-04-2011, 08:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
$200-250 for new OPPO BDP-93 with DVD multiregion and Blu-ray multizone capablities???
http://www.alibaba.com/product-free/...etwork_3D.html
What is that? Original OPPO or a clone? Or fraud? - (PayPal are not acceptable).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8912 of 27028 Old 04-04-2011, 09:09 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sorry to ask a question that's probabaly been answered,.. but this thread is nearly 300 pages,.. and even search didn't find my answer (yet).

I just bought the BDP-93 with a hack to make it region-free DVD.

I have it connected to my Pioneer Elite SC-05 receiver (used as a pre-pro) with an HDMI cable.

I'm wondering,.. would I get better audio using 8 RCA cables? Might the OPPO's D/A converters be better than the Pioneers?

Or does the Pioneer have to convert it back to digital to do it's time-alignment and cross-overs, then use the same Pioneer D/A's to go back to analog again? So it could only be worse?

It's late,.. I'm getting fizzy in the head.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Stu.
post #8913 of 27028 Old 04-04-2011, 09:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokap View Post

$200-250 for new OPPO BDP-93 with DVD multiregion and Blu-ray multizone capablities???
What is that? Original OPPO or a clone? Or fraud? - (PayPal are not acceptable).

There's one born every minute.

Build Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8914 of 27028 Old 04-04-2011, 09:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by duckstu View Post

Sorry to ask a question that's probabaly been answered,.. but this thread is nearly 300 pages,.. and even search didn't find my answer (yet).

I have it connected to my Pioneer Elite SC-05 receiver (used as a pre-pro) with an HDMI cable.

I'm wondering,.. would I get better audio using 8 RCA cables? Might the OPPO's D/A converters be better than the Pioneers?

Or does the Pioneer have to convert it back to digital to do it's time-alignment and cross-overs, then use the same Pioneer D/A's to go back to analog again? So it could only be worse?

Stu.

The Pioneer manual will answer your question about additional conversions. Your ears will tell you which sounds better.

Build Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8915 of 27028 Old 04-04-2011, 09:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:

Isn't there a saying that there is a sucker born every minute? Just do a Google search on "alibaba review". Hint: stay clear of that website.
post #8916 of 27028 Old 04-04-2011, 09:39 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked: 868
Quote:

Stu.

The Pioneer will almost certainly have to convert analog audio back into digital to do the type of processing you are talking about. I've no idea how transparent it might be doing that (and the subsequent conversion back to analog for output of course).

My advice is that you get thoroughly familiar with how things sound using HDMI audio, and THEN experiment with the analog alternative if you still want to.
--Bob

. -- Need personal consultation/training?
post #8917 of 27028 Old 04-04-2011, 09:40 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayrton View Post

Last night my screensaver strobed to beat the band.
Tonight it is fine?

No settings change.

Did Oppo sneak in a fix??

No, but there's a combination of things necessary for the failure to manifest. Evidently you didn't have the necessary combo tonight.
--Bob

post #8918 of 27028 Old 04-04-2011, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

You can have hours of fun trying to figure out how to use SACD DSD correctly!

THEN you get to decide if it really sounds better.
--Bob

I've had hours of "fun" and a few moments of panic.

I was comparing DSD>analog with DSD>PCM>analog, switching back and forth from the Setup screen. Each time, the track being played restarts from the beginning, so it's easy to compare. On one occasion I was comparing channel levels between PCM and DSD when an incredibly loud rasping noise ending with an even louder POP! occurred. I rushed to cut the master volume, but not before all my speakers had gone wild. I'm not sure if this did it, but two of my nice B&W speakers no longer tweet! Never again will I switch between DSD and PCM while a disc is playing.
--Jim

PS: This was with my BDP-95
post #8919 of 27028 Old 04-05-2011, 12:06 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstreet View Post

I've had hours of "fun" and a few moments of panic.

I was comparing DSD>analog with DSD>PCM>analog, switching back and forth from the Setup screen. Each time, the track being played restarts from the beginning, so it's easy to compare. On one occasion I was comparing channel levels between PCM and DSD when an incredibly loud rasping noise ending with an even louder POP! occurred. I rushed to cut the master volume, but not before all my speakers had gone wild. I'm not sure if this did it, but two of my nice B&W speakers no longer tweet! Never again will I switch between DSD and PCM while a disc is playing.
--Jim

PS: This was with my BDP-95

Gack! No fun at all.

If you are lucky, you'll discover you just popped a fuse for those tweeters.
--Bob

post #8920 of 27028 Old 04-05-2011, 01:37 AM

I've ordered the mod kit at bluraychipdk on 10.03.2011. I've asked about my order last week and after two days I got a message - the mod kit shipped(01.04.2011). It should arrive this week. There was only 1 version of the mod kit in March, but by the description this should be the (new) pro version. I hope it works. My Criterion Collection is waiting.
post #8921 of 27028 Old 04-05-2011, 04:13 AM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glad1us View Post

I've ordered the mod kit at bluraychipdk on 10.03.2011. I've asked about my order last week and after two days I got a message - the mod kit shipped(01.04.2011). It should arrive this week. There was only 1 version of the mod kit in March, but by the description this should be the (new) pro version. I hope it works. My Criterion Collection is waiting.

Amazing... I don't understand bluraychip.dk: some people have pre-ordered the kits on January and got nothing but "Preparation in progress".
post #8922 of 27028 Old 04-05-2011, 04:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I need advice. I am looking to buy my 3rd BLu Ray player. I have the Oppo93 and the first gen PS3. What's the best option for the 3rd one.
post #8923 of 27028 Old 04-05-2011, 04:45 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked: 348
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJD View Post

Can you create multiple music playlists, or are you just limited to one?

No. Yes. And the playlist cannot be saved.

-Bill

|

Unofficial OPPO FAQS:
|
|
|

post #8924 of 27028 Old 04-05-2011, 04:46 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bommai View Post

Any chance that oppo might have a future firmware upgrade that will enable playing of music stored in USB or esata drives without needing to turn the display on. This could be achieved through a remote control sw running on iOS or android devices.

Its been requested and they've said they'll look at it. To avoid disappointment, like all "would be nice" features it's best to presume it won't happen.

-Bill

|

Unofficial OPPO FAQS:
|
|
|

post #8925 of 27028 Old 04-05-2011, 04:47 AM

Quote:

Amazing... I don't understand bluraychip.dk: some people have pre-ordered the kits on January and got nothing but "Preparation in progress".

FWIW.

I bought an Oppo 93 already converted to region-free DVD from this place.

http://www.regioncodefreedvd.com/opp...ay_player.html

It arrived in 2 days. $532 + shipping. $550 total.

That's just $33 more than i could buy a standard one for.

They can also convert it to region-free Blu-Ray, but my wife doesn't own any of those, so I didn't bother.

Of course,...the majority of people in thie thread already own one, but perhaps this can help those that are researching still.
post #8926 of 27028 Old 04-05-2011, 04:47 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerdude View Post

I need advice. I am looking to buy my 3rd BLu Ray player. I have the Oppo93 and the first gen PS3. What's the best option for the 3rd one.

What are your needs?

-Bill

|

Unofficial OPPO FAQS:
|
|
|

post #8927 of 27028 Old 04-05-2011, 04:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:

I threatened to cancel my order. Within 10 minutes I got a ship notice. Let's see if it actually shipped. Was told that this is the fixed version that shipped out over the past week.
post #8928 of 27028 Old 04-05-2011, 04:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

What are your needs?

-Bill

Something in the order of what I have now , but less money..
post #8929 of 27028 Old 04-05-2011, 05:14 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerdude View Post

Something in the order of what I have now , but less money..

Try the the "Help Me Buy a Player" sticky thread.

-Bill

|

Unofficial OPPO FAQS:
|
|
|

post #8930 of 27028 Old 04-05-2011, 06:03 AM

Quote:

FWIW.

I bought an Oppo 93 already converted to region-free DVD from this place.

http://www.regioncodefreedvd.com/opp...ay_player.html

It arrived in 2 days. $532 + shipping. $550 total.

That's just $33 more than i could buy a standard one for.

They can also convert it to region-free Blu-Ray, but my wife doesn't own any of those, so I didn't bother.

Of course,...the majority of people in thie thread already own one, but perhaps this can help those that are researching still.

So you got this one.
Play Region A Blu-ray Only

Touch every third person and you'll find stupid!

post #8931 of 27028 Old 04-05-2011, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shokhead View Post
So you got this one.
Play Region A Blu-ray Only
Yes, it only plays USA Blu-Rays,.. but plays all region DVD's. It was $150 to $200 more to get all region Blu-Ray capability.

My wife is Chinese and has hundreds of DVD's from China, but no Blu-Rays. So for the $33,.... it gets us rid of a second player that used component cables and a coax audio.

Upgrade the player and clean up cabling at the same time. I believe the term this week is "winning". LOL.
post #8932 of 27028 Old 04-05-2011, 08:38 AM
Advanced Member

After seeing so many people in this thread that have started to hear back from bluraychip.dk I sent about umm...a fifth or so email this morning inquiring about the order I placed back in january. And I received an email a few hours later stating that they had packaged it for shipment and that it has now been shipped.

Well that was odd, I even requested after the 4th or 5th email to just cancel it all together and give me my 90 dollars back cuz I was tired of them.

I don't understand them, it seems the case is that everyone who pre ordered in january needs to now email them again and remind them that they have your 90 dollars and to ship your kit for you. That makes a lot of sense....

post #8933 of 27028 Old 04-05-2011, 08:46 AM

Just thought I would report that my bluraychip.dk mod that was shipped on March 15 was delivered yesterday, April 4.

I have not had the chance to install it yet. I'm wondering, though, if it is one of the ones reported that will need to be sent back for the USB connector bug or if it can be fixed via firmware.
post #8934 of 27028 Old 04-05-2011, 09:04 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makaveli Tha Don View Post
After seeing so many people in this thread that have started to hear back from bluraychip.dk I sent about umm...a fifth or so email this morning inquiring about the order I placed back in january. And I received an email a few hours later stating that they had packaged it for shipment and that it has now been shipped.

Well that was odd, I even requested after the 4th or 5th email to just cancel it all together and give me my 90 dollars back cuz I was tired of them.

I don't understand them, it seems the case is that everyone who pre ordered in january needs to now email them again and remind them that they have your 90 dollars and to ship your kit for you. That makes a lot of sense....
It's pretty clear to me what's going on. They are finally producing units in decent volume, but not anywhere near enough to meet the volume of back-orders they have. So they loosely prioritize based on order date, but then rush any orders for customers who contact them.

I ordered mine February 1st, have never contacted them since the initial order, and my order has never even gotten to "preparation in progress", let alone shipping. That's well over a month before Glad1us ordered the kit, and his already shipped, so it's got to be that anyone who contacts them gets rushed. It's not how I would have chosen to prioritize orders, but it'll get the job done eventually.

Frankly I'm OK quietly waiting even longer for mine. I still have my old multi-region player around, and I'm not particularly excited about the quality of the earlier units they shipped. I'm fine continuing to let you guys be the beta testers
post #8935 of 27028 Old 04-05-2011, 09:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 84
As I stated, had not for the fact that I emailed
them and told them I would cancel my order,
would a SHIP notice have been sent to me a
mere 10 minutes later.

CatBus has the right theory of what is going
on, me thinks.
post #8936 of 27028 Old 04-05-2011, 10:18 AM
One-Man Content Creator

I hope everyone dealing with these mod chip companies is encouraging them to open their own support forums.

-Bill

|

Unofficial OPPO FAQS:
|
|
|

post #8937 of 27028 Old 04-05-2011, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbroegger View Post

There has been problems with pre-orders back in january, where the order has been paid with paypal. Some orders have been shipped without having the status changed to "shipped", thus still having the "preparation in progress" status. All shipped boards are the "PRO" version.

I've noted the extreme variation in responses to complaints and inquiries addressed to Blueraychip.dk reported by posters in this forum. I'm on the unfortunate end of the extreme (supposedly shipped 3/9/11, not yet arrived 4/5) and no responses at all to my requests for information or tracking guidance. Then I noticed the quoted message above, which was posted by one "cbroegger," the contact person at Blueraychip.dk!!!-- who must be reading this forum, but not any of my messages left on their site or my email. Perhaps a plea/request on this public forum will elicit a response or explanation?? Then I won't need to clog up this board anymore.
Jim
post #8938 of 27028 Old 04-05-2011, 10:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Quote:

I hope everyone dealing with these mod chip companies is encouraging them to open their own support forums.

-Bill

A dedicated mod chip forum here wouldn't be a bad idea either. We have the BDA to thank for creating yet another cottage industry to help people get around the draconian BD player restrictions.
post #8939 of 27028 Old 04-05-2011, 10:49 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makaveli Tha Don View Post

I have no explanation as to why people who placed their order in January wouldn't have received their kits yet save one. The earliest batches of the mod had the rear USB port issue. There were numerous revisions of the Bluraychip.dk kit shipped, apparently, and the early revisions cannot be updated via firmware to resolve the problem. It makes me wonder if they put some orders on hold until they could ship out a newer kit that could either be updated via a firmware fix or sending out a new kit that just worked from the beginning. Your kit might have been shipped without actually being updated to report it before you sent your emails asking for a cancellation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djblaze805 View Post

Just thought I would report that my bluraychip.dk mod that was shipped on March 15 was delivered yesterday, April 4.

I have not had the chance to install it yet. I'm wondering, though, if it is one of the ones reported that will need to be sent back for the USB connector bug or if it can be fixed via firmware.

From Denmark to the US my kit took about 2 weeks. Contact Bluraychip.dk. From the ship date they may be able to tell you if your kit is fixable via a firmware update, not fixable without a replacement board, or not impacted by the rear USB port problem. Tell them you don't want to install the kit until you know for sure that you won't have to take it back out if the problem can't be fixed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatBus View Post

It's pretty clear to me what's going on. They are finally producing units in decent volume, but not anywhere near enough to meet the volume of back-orders they have. So they loosely prioritize based on order date, but then rush any orders for customers who contact them.

I ordered mine February 1st, have never contacted them since the initial order, and my order has never even gotten to "preparation in progress", let alone shipping. That's well over a month before Glad1us ordered the kit, and his already shipped, so it's got to be that anyone who contacts them gets rushed. It's not how I would have chosen to prioritize orders, but it'll get the job done eventually.

Frankly I'm OK quietly waiting even longer for mine. I still have my old multi-region player around, and I'm not particularly excited about the quality of the earlier units they shipped. I'm fine continuing to let you guys be the beta testers

I'm not sure your theory is actually correct. A problem was discovered and you didn't place your order until February. A lot of people placed pre-orders in January nearly a month before you did and all the early purchasers with the early revisions of the kit got nailed with the rear USB port issue. I suspect that a few things need to be considered: (1) you waited some time and your order is queued quite a ways back, (2) the problem was reported and resolved after numerous revisions which may have held up shipments past a certain point because they did not want to send out any more broken kits, (3) people who already received a defective kit that couldn't be updated via firmware should take precedence over people further down the queue of people waiting. I know the third point I noted may annoy people, yes, but I think people who pre-ordered right when the kit was offered and received a defective kit should get a replacement before someone who ordered it a month later. Having said that I believe Bluraychip.dk should send out an email to purchasers explaining that a problem cropped up and that there might be a delay in dispatching orders as a result.

There is also another point to raise. The contact information for Bluraychip.dk is at Tridane but specifically to the attention of Casper. When dealing with customer service at Bluraychip.dk I have only spoken with Casper. I honestly wonder if Casper is the only person doing all the work with respect to support and sending out the kits. Rumor had it that the people had the flu some time back so that might explain why people couldn't communicate with the people at Bluraychip.dk. I honestly don't know and I don't want to make excuses for them. Prior to receiving my kit I couldn't get any response from customer service. Since getting my kit and reporting problems I have received excellent customer service. YMMV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald Epstein View Post

As I stated, had not for the fact that I emailed
them and told them I would cancel my order,
would a SHIP notice have been sent to me a
mere 10 minutes later.

CatBus has the right theory of what is going
on, me thinks.

There has been talk that some of the early PayPal purchasers had for some reason been stuck in the "Preparation In Progress" even when the kit had actually already shipped. It's possible that upon contacting them they looked into your order, found it shipped, and updated the status to reflect what it really is. I can't say that for sure but it's a possibility.

Quote:

-Bill

I think it'll be a cold day in h*** before any of the companies open a support forum. Just look at the experiences that most people are reporting with the various kits. Even still the reason most are posting here and I am posting here concerning issues and my communication with the companies is to educate owners of the BDP-93 and give them info on the various companies selling the mods. Unfortunately, for the time being people do need to research things and not blindly buy just any mod kit if one is even available from a specific company. Quite frankly, as much as I like and respect JVB Digital it seriously annoys me that they still have yet to post a picture of their kit or how it works. I don't like blindly buying anything.

At this point I strongly suggest people contact Bluraychip.dk via email if you have a question regarding your order or your kit arrived and you have the rear USB port problem so they can either give you the firmware update or ship out a replacement kit.
post #8940 of 27028 Old 04-05-2011, 10:56 AM

Liked: 11
Just a heads up that some people have been notified that their JVB Digital mod kit will ship on April 7th.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page