post #901 of 26965 Old 11-28-2010, 06:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

OK, is ANYBODY here still having front panel button problems that are not just due to having to wait for the player to complete booting up?
--Bob

I was one of the originals that had this issue. I can confirm that waiting until the display says "Open" before pressing the off button with the tray open, will result in the tray closing and the 93 turning off.

Chet
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 26965 Old 11-28-2010, 06:24 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perpendicular View Post

OPPO is aware but it might not be that high on their to-do list.

Let's hope it moves up on the to do list. I say that of course not knowing what else is on the to do list. . Considering one of the core features is streaming Netflix. Adding a step like reestablishing the Internet connection first is not so good.
post #903 of 26965 Old 11-28-2010, 06:42 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinglm View Post

Let's hope it moves up on the to do list. I say that of course not knowing what else is on the to do list. . Considering one of the core features is streaming Netflix. Adding a step like reestablishing the Internet connection first is not so good.

Agreed.

I am putting ordering Netflix on hold until this is solved but I already showed my wife the DLNA TVersity server so she knows how to do this.

I will have to type up a 'How to' how to turn on WiFi until this one is solved for my wife.
post #904 of 26965 Old 11-28-2010, 06:43 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked: 847
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRRobert View Post

Just have the component on the TV, but was thinking I could use the HD Fury to convert the hdmi before going into the TV.

If it works then that could be a good way to go. But HDCP copy protection is intended to prevent conversion from HDMI to Component at HD resolutions. So a converter box like this is in tricky area as regards licensing.

Keep in mind that starting in January, the industry is going to make it progressively harder to get HD output for Blu-Ray on Component, just as they already do for SD-DVD.

It is already the case that any studio could author a Blu-Ray disc with the flag set that will prohibit any Blu-Ray player from putting out HD video on Component while playing that disc. There are very few discs that do this right now. You will see more such discs next year.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #905 of 26965 Old 11-28-2010, 07:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Quote:

You could always leave your player on 24/7 if it's a serious problem for you.

OPPO BETA GROUP
post #906 of 26965 Old 11-28-2010, 07:10 PM
Read the FAQ!

Well I'm not at all sure what's working differently for you guys, but my 93 re-connects just fine to my Apple Airport wifi across power cycles. All by itself.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #907 of 26965 Old 11-28-2010, 07:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:

OPPO is aware but it might not be that high on their to-do list.

Did they tell you that or is that your guess? Seems like having a consistent wireless ethernet connection would be important during pre-release so that we receive any firmware updates. I would rank this as more important that media player support fixes.

...Steve
"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

My 3D-BD/BD/HD-DVD/DVD collection and HT gear

post #908 of 26965 Old 11-28-2010, 07:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenjw View Post

Did they tell you that or is that your guess? Seems like having a consistent wireless ethernet connection would be important during pre-release so that we receive any firmware updates. I would rank this as more important that media player support fixes.

I'm in the know.
The discussion pertains to the Wi-Fi dongle via the USB port.
At least, that was my understanding.

OPPO BETA GROUP
post #909 of 26965 Old 11-28-2010, 07:24 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV View Post

And why wouldn't you have a constant WiFi connection?

Its not that it needs to be constant, but the player needs to be smart enough to reconnect upon power on, automatically. I have to reconnect every time, and its quite annoying.
post #910 of 26965 Old 11-28-2010, 07:24 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Fyi folks,

Source Direct does not work for Netflix. I get 1080p sent to my display, of course I'm setting SD mode prior to starting the Netflix app, and my Reon-VX was set to pass through.
post #911 of 26965 Old 11-28-2010, 07:26 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chs4000 View Post

Fyi folks,

Source Direct does not work for Netflix. I get 1080p sent to my display, of course I'm setting SD mode prior to starting the Netflix app, and my Reon-VX was set to pass through.

Which HDMI output are you using? Source Direct worked for me on HDMI 1 last time I checked (which was a while back).
--Bob

post #912 of 26965 Old 11-28-2010, 07:27 PM

Can I set NR to 2, so itll work on Nflix, and be confident it will have no video effect on source direct blu-rays?
post #913 of 26965 Old 11-28-2010, 07:28 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElwayLite View Post

Can I set NR to 2, so itll work on Nflix, and be confident it will have no video effect on source direct blu-rays?

Source Direct bypasses the processing in the QDEO so, yes.
--Bob

post #914 of 26965 Old 11-28-2010, 07:32 PM

Thanks Bob, thats what I thought, but wanted to be sure.

Watched the Last Airbender tonight, and all went well. Got the 93 setup how I want, except for NR 2, and was very happy with the PQ. The Disc did not even come out very warm, after 1hr 40 mins. Also checked out Nflix earlier.
post #915 of 26965 Old 11-28-2010, 07:33 PM

Quote:

Well I'm not at all sure what's working differently for you guys, but my 93 re-connects just fine to my Apple Airport wifi across power cycles. All by itself.
--Bob

I assume you are running a different firmware than the rest of us?

This problem just sounds like the daemon/service is not turning on upon power on with the firmware we have.

Everything else is working fine now for me EXCEPT this. Almost there......
post #916 of 26965 Old 11-28-2010, 07:36 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fritowrdo View Post

I assume you are running a different firmware than the rest of us?

This problem just sounds like the daemon/service is not turning on upon power on with the firmware we have.

Everything else is working fine now for me EXCEPT this. Almost there......

Well if that's the case, then you have something to look forward to!

Yes, I'm running different firmware, but I had no problem with this back when I was running the 1108 firmware either. I know, because it's one of the things I check.

On the other hand, I'm also running different hardware (sorry, can't discuss details), and that may be relevant.
--Bob

post #917 of 26965 Old 11-28-2010, 07:36 PM

Quote:

I'm in the know.
The discussion pertains to the Wi-Fi dongle via the USB port.
At least, that was my understanding.

The tech guys at Oppo have been busy tonight as I have had a slew of emails from them on stuff to try.

But what you state here makes sense to what they are having me try and do.
post #918 of 26965 Old 11-28-2010, 07:40 PM

Quote:

The tech guys at Oppo have been busy tonight as I have had a slew of emails from them on stuff to try.

But what you state here makes sense to what they are having me try and do.

I went ahead and emailed them about my reconnection issues.
post #919 of 26965 Old 11-28-2010, 07:42 PM

Quote:

Well if that's the case, then you have something to look forward to!

Yes, I'm running different firmware, but I had no problem with this back when I was running the 1108 firmware either. I know, because it's one of the things I check.

On the other hand, I'm also running different hardware (sorry, can't discuss details), and that may be relevant.
--Bob

Not a problem on the NDA.

I just tried the front USB port and no go either.

Oh well, I will probably bag it for the night but give Oppo kudos for replying on a Sunday night.
post #920 of 26965 Old 11-28-2010, 07:47 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

Sorry to hear that, but thanks for the confirmation.

Quote:

Sigh. What a hobby, eh? Anyway, glad to hear the puzzle is solved.
--Bob

Thanks guys. I'll get it fixed ASAP. I was getting a second Paradigm Sub 12 this week too, and now I'll have to wait to try it out until the amp is fixed
post #921 of 26965 Old 11-28-2010, 07:56 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:

Not a problem on the NDA.

I just tried the front USB port and no go either.

Oh well, I will probably bag it for the night but give Oppo kudos for replying on a Sunday night.

I've got something for you to try if the Oppo folks haven't already had you try it:

Wait for the player to completely power up. Then unplug and replug the wifi dongle -- leaving it unplugged for at least a couple seconds. The idea is to have it show up afresh as an available USB device.

Does that procedure result in a wifi connection? If so, does it seem to work every time?
--Bob

post #922 of 26965 Old 11-28-2010, 07:58 PM

Quote:

Well I'm no techie, but it seems that if all is required is to manually choose to use the last setting, it wouldnt be that tough of a fix to tell the machine do it automatically upon boot through an update.
It wouldnt affect those having no problem and would fix the issue for those that are.
One could certainly call this an obvious oversight. I know Oppo for being strong advocates of hard wiring, considering the main purpose of connectivity has been the updates and BD Live in the past.
However, with the addition of streaming, billed as a prominent feature, it seems it should have been foreseen out of the gate.
post #923 of 26965 Old 11-28-2010, 08:01 PM

Got mine yesterday. After setup I played an SACD (No "Ticks"-YIPPIE!) But, about 5 minutes in to the 1st disc I tried the front panel controls & they were totally locked. Remote bricked as well. Finally got it to turn off (via remote) after pressing power for about 30 seconds. Powered down & after restart I've had no issues. Its Played every BD & SACD flawlessly. Streaming NetFlix (Wireless) from DSL & all is well EXCEPT..I too have to re-initialize the 93 at power up. THAT's a PAIN!....OPPO does have something very special here though & I'm sooooo glad to have mine.
post #924 of 26965 Old 11-28-2010, 08:02 PM
Read the FAQ!

Relax guys. Oppo isn't about to ignore a concern like this.
--Bob

post #925 of 26965 Old 11-28-2010, 08:08 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmoFreddy View Post

Got mine yesterday. After setup I played an SACD (No "Ticks"-YIPPIE!) But, about 5 minutes in to the 1st disc I tried the front panel controls & they were totally locked. Remote bricked as well. Finally got it to turn off (via remote) after pressing power for about 30 seconds. Powered down & after restart I've had no issues. Its Played every BD & SACD flawlessly. Streaming NetFlix (Wireless) from DSL & all is well EXCEPT..I too have to re-initialize the 93 at power up. THAT's a PAIN!....OPPO does have something very special here though & I'm sooooo glad to have mine.

I'm sorry you had a player crash, but just so you know you don't have to hold the power button for it to shut down when it is in that state. Just press power once and wait, and after a delay it will shut down the crashed player.

It wouldn't hurt to email Oppo with the details on that first disc. If you can, please include the bar code number or "ISBN" number from the disc packaging as sometimes discs come out in different versions bearing the same name. And if you recall any other details of just what you were doing when the player crashed then include those as well.

Even if you can't get the crash to repeat yourself, it may be possible for Oppo to draw a connection between your instance and any other reports they might get.
--Bob

post #926 of 26965 Old 11-28-2010, 08:16 PM

Quote:

I've got something for you to try if the Oppo folks haven't already had you try it:

Wait for the player to completely power up. Then unplug and replug the wifi dongle -- leaving it unplugged for at least a couple seconds. The idea is to have it show up afresh as an available USB device.

Does that procedure result in a wifi connection? If so, does it seem to work every time?
--Bob

No go on that.

I tried one time for 15 seconds out and plug it in, no go till manually turn it on.

I tried one for several minutes out and plug it in, no go till manually turn it on.

Can I buy it chocolate or flowers to make it work?
post #927 of 26965 Old 11-28-2010, 08:19 PM
Read the FAQ!

In my experience, problems like this respond better to a chalk pentagram. Sacrifices are also widely recommended. But messy.
--Bob

post #928 of 26965 Old 11-28-2010, 08:24 PM
Read the FAQ!

OK, if you are still with me, I've got one more thing to try. Grab an empty USB stick and put it in the front port with the wifi dongle in the rear port. (FAT or NTFS formatted on the USB drive.)

Now power up. Since you have the USB stick in the front port it should be found during power up, resulting in the Home menu being displayed shortly after it reports "No Disc" on the normal, Oppo splash screen.

If you get to the Home menu then we know your USB stuff is powering up properly.

Now does THAT get you an automatic wifi connection?
--Bob

post #929 of 26965 Old 11-28-2010, 08:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
anyone else with the 120 refresh HDTVs and also using netflix? I get a bit of a studder when watching netflix. I have to turn off the digital motion (philips HDTV). some HDTVs have a different word for it. I have to use the digital motion when playing blurays and dvds. I have discussed this with oppo. I wanted to know if anyone else is having the problem. thanks.

Jacob
post #930 of 26965 Old 11-28-2010, 08:29 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

--Bob

Mine, too. Once I got the connection up, every time I've power-cycled, the wireless network seems just fine and I can use Netflix.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page