post #1081 of 26908 Old 11-30-2010, 10:06 AM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 775
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwt View Post

Our hifi reviewers down here are much more rigorous [obsessed ?] with a players ability to protect itself Willie [ If its got an eject button but I use it]. As disc tray pushing is more commonplace ; a player with good logic tends to get good marks At the least I hope the 93 follows a motor cutout that emulates only partially this Originatl CD-A8T Valve CD Player

Such testing is good.

My point is that just because it works, and even if it is designed to work well as a protection mechanism, pushing or pulling on the tray is not a good habit to get into.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1082 of 26908 Old 11-30-2010, 10:15 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtblair View Post

There are several good programs for doing full backups or "main movie" only rips of blu-rays or DVDs: DVDfab and MakeMKV. Both of these programs create bit-for-bit perfect reproductions of the original Blu-ray. DVDFab recreates the AVCHD structure while MakeMKV converts the video/audio into a MKV container. The BDP-83 would not play back either formats (full rips, not lower bit-rate versions). I and others experienced freezing of the player and video artifacts (especially with VC-1 endoded files).

Actually not true. 83 does play some bit-for-bit MKV rips of blurays over DLNA, but not all. Agreed its not a sure thing and the behavior varies with different files, but its not that it doesn't play them at all.

Quote:

I have asked the beta people about the 93's capabilities but I never got a definitive answer regarding FULL Blu-ray rips. In this forum, one poster indicated that these files do not play. As DLNA is only "experimental", I doubt it will ever be fully implemented. As a side note, I don't believe the 93 supports HD-audio over DLNA. The 83 did not (confirmed by OPPO).

Until proven wrong, the only good option for full HD-Audio and Blu-ray file playback is a PC with an ATI 5xxx video card.

Again the 83 is able to play HD audio tracks in MKV files over DLNA, the only quirk is that it is sent as (or at least shows up as on my receiver) DTS-HD HI RES instead of DTS-HD MA. Though on ts and m2ts files, 83 does not even detect an HD audio track (if there are no other audio tracks in the file it plays without sound).

Actually 93 should be a good option for playing ripped blurays through a USB/eSATA drive at least based on the Neuromancer's input. Once the AVCHD support on NTFS drives is fixed, one should be able to play AVCHD with menus on the 93 (basically the exact same interface as bluray).
post #1083 of 26908 Old 11-30-2010, 10:19 AM

Has anyone been able to contact the firmware server at OPPO via the wireless connection?
post #1084 of 26908 Old 11-30-2010, 10:21 AM

I tried to update my BDP-93 over wireless and it says the server is not available.

I assume that this just means that they have not posted any firmware updates?

Anyone else able to connect?

I know I have connectivity since i can stream from Netflix.

M. Samji
post #1085 of 26908 Old 11-30-2010, 10:23 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

(1) FLAC compatibility will be improving in the next firmware.

(2) FLAC is not working over DLNA yet.

-Bill

I can definitely confirm (2). Can I assume that "yet" means "Oppo is determined to make it work" rather than "Oppo is not sure if it will ever work"?
post #1086 of 26908 Old 11-30-2010, 10:25 AM

Is there any physical difference between HDMI 1 and HDMI 2?

I thought they will physically identical and just available to allow you to if needed connect a HDMI 1.4 display to one and your older HDMI 1.3 to the other if you had a non HDMI 1.4 receiver?

M. Samji
post #1087 of 26908 Old 11-30-2010, 10:31 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sango View Post

Bob Pariseau,

Forgot to mention during my testing, the orignal MP4 files do not work as it saids the video is not support even thou the music still plays, just without the video; therefore I used Necomancer's advise and just put it into an MKV container which I did to make them work for both players.

As promised, here is the pics. I did not include the calibration disc test, but I can say the results between both BDP-83 and 93 so differ slightly. In the pictures here, you can probably understand why I am saying I cannot see a noticable difference and non-functional on the 93 between the color spaces. Maybe you can see if you could spot it? As per the 83 pics, the color space change differences is noticable.

BDP-93:
Beauty and the Beast: Auto / RGB Video Level
Beauty and the Beast: RGB PC Level
Tales of Graces F: Auto / RGB Video Level
Tales of Graces F: RGB PC Level

BDP-83:
Beauty and the Beast: Auto / RGB Video Level
Beauty and the Beast: RGB PC Level
Tales of Graces F: Auto / RGB Video Level
Tales of Graces F: RGB PC Level

I see what you are seeing, and I have no good explanation. I think you should contact Oppo with this information and with details on your AVR/Display setup.

You should expect some subtle differences on the Spears & Munsil charts between the 93 and the 83 as color space fidelity is still being refined on the 93. But the 16 step Black level change between RGB Video Level and RGB PC Level should be unmistakable -- presuming of course that you haven't also made the corresponding RGB flavor change in your AVR/Display. (If BOTH sides of the cable have their RGB setting changed, then of course there should be NO difference in Black or Reference White level -- although Blacker Than Black and Peak White data will of course be missing from any RGB PC Level connection.)

Have you been able to verify the 93 really is sending RGB (by checking status info shown in the AVR/Display at the other end of the cable)? If the 93 is sending YCbCr, of either style, then that would naturally match the black levels of RGB Video Level. Only RGB PC Level should be different, and only if the other end of the cable is not also changed to expect incoming RGB to be the PC Level flavor of RGB.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #1088 of 26908 Old 11-30-2010, 10:32 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by msamji View Post

I tried to update my BDP-93 over wireless and it says the server is not available.

I assume that this just means that they have not posted any firmware updates?

Anyone else able to connect?

I know I have connectivity since i can stream from Netflix.

The update server is not live yet for the 93. It will go live when the first firmware update is available.
--Bob

post #1089 of 26908 Old 11-30-2010, 10:36 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:

I thought they will physically identical and just available to allow you to if needed connect a HDMI 1.4 display to one and your older HDMI 1.3 to the other if you had a non HDMI 1.4 receiver?

There's no "physical" difference. There *IS* a processing difference for video. Only HDMI 1 takes advantage of the QDEO video processor in the player.

Since the signal processing path is different, there are also differences in the HDMI handshake. In the 1108 firmware, the handshake is more robust and pain free using HDMI 2.
--Bob

post #1090 of 26908 Old 11-30-2010, 10:41 AM

Is the QDEO video processor do anything to improve non 3D video?

Sorry I'm just very familiar with it :-)

I'll try switching my Classe over to the HDMI 2 tonight to see if that fixes the 2 minute handshake.

M. Samji
post #1091 of 26908 Old 11-30-2010, 10:41 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheld View Post

I can definitely confirm (2). Can I assume that "yet" means "Oppo is determined to make it work" rather than "Oppo is not sure if it will ever work"?

I expect it to be working, and there is no technical reason why it can't. No way I can promise it, of course.

-Bill
post #1092 of 26908 Old 11-30-2010, 10:42 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:

That is in the as yet very brief FAQ: How do the two HDMI outputs differ?

-Bill
post #1093 of 26908 Old 11-30-2010, 10:49 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:

Is the QDEO video processor do anything to improve non 3D video?

Sorry I'm just very familiar with it :-)

I'll try switching my Classe over to the HDMI 2 tonight to see if that fixes the 2 minute handshake.

Yes, the QDEO video processor will have benefits for all forms of video output on HDMI 1.

And yes, do try HDMI 2 and let Oppo know your results.

-----------------------------------------

For everyone:

If you find you are having problems getting an HDMI connection, try temporarily changing the output resolution of the 93. Use the Resolution button on the remote along with Up/Down arrow to select a resolution (visible in the front panel display) and then press Enter to make that change happen.

For example, if a 1080p connection doesn't seem to be happening, try temporarily changing to 1080i, then back to 1080p once the 1080i connection establishes. An output resolution change will cause the HDMI handshake to start over and may get you past whatever temporary glitch is getting in your way.

Also, for folks using Source Direct or who have 1080p/24 Auto or ON set, be aware that multiple handshakes are *NORMAL* as the disc content changes between 1080i/60 and 1080p/24. For example as you move between menus, warning screens, and the movie itself.

So for example as a disc starts up, you may see several sets of flashes -- indicating several new HDMI handshakes -- as the disc loads its playback program, previews, and menus. Some discs take a while to load that stuff before real video begins and so it may look like the player is stuck trying to establish the initial connection when in fact it is just the disc going through all its initial rigmarole prior to real playback commencing.

Then, when you select Play from the disc's menus, you may get additional HDMI handshakes as the disc does its FBI warning screens and the like and then finally transitions to the start of the real movie playback.

Now, HDMI 1 *IS* taking longer than it should to do each individual handshake in the 1108 firmware, and that's being addressed, but the NUMBER of new handshakes between loading the disc and finally getting the movie to play is something that's driven by the content coming off the disc.
--Bob

post #1094 of 26908 Old 11-30-2010, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurraybhm View Post

I am using a SC-07 and have yet to experience any problems with Netflix, Blu, DVD, SACD, and DVD-A. I am bitstreaming from the HDMI 1 to the Pioneer then from receiver to a Kuro. The only issue I have and it is well known is the inability to select DSD for disk (SACD) playback. Must use MCH but it really doesn't matter since only one Pioneer receiver I know of can take DSD and not convert it (SC-09).

I have no doubt others have issues - but it doesn't seem to be every Pioneer receiver. Oppo has bought a receiver to begin working on the issues experienced by others. Seems to be with HDMI 1 going to receiver. Work around is 1 to display and 2 to receiver.

I have the VSX-92 Pio receiver and that didn't work for me. I spoke with Oppo today and he suggested I try using the LPCM setting instead of bitstream. Letting the 93 do the audio decoding instead of the Pio. So far the problem I was having of the reciever shutting down hasn't occurred. They are working on a more permanent solution and hopefully find one soon. Does anyone know of any downside to letting the 93 do the audio decoding?
post #1095 of 26908 Old 11-30-2010, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by captcraig View Post

I have the VSX-92 Pio receiver and that didn't work for me. I spoke with Oppo today and he suggested I try using the LPCM setting instead of bitstream. Letting the 93 do the audio decoding instead of the Pio. So far the problem I was having of the reciever shutting down hasn't occurred. They are working on a more permanent solution and hopefully find one soon. Does anyone know of any downside to letting the 93 do the audio decoding?

There really is no downside to letting the 93 do the decoding unless you like to see DTSMA or DOLBY HD on your Pioneer. I have been Beta Testing the 93 and have reported the bitstrem issue with Pioneer receivers shutting down. Take their advice and let the 93 do the decoding until Oppo gets this resolved.
post #1096 of 26908 Old 11-30-2010, 11:33 AM
Read the FAQ!

The folks over in the Pioneer receiver forum who think this might be an overheating problem in the Pioneer would find this interesting. I.e.: Perhaps the Pioneer is shutting down due to the extra heat generated when the Pioneer's chip is asked to do the decoding?
--Bob

post #1097 of 26908 Old 11-30-2010, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince_B View Post

Guys, I've got to ask what another member asked and afaik never got a response in the affirmative (there were a bunch of helpful suggestions but nobody ever said yeah it's working for me).....

Does anyone have the 93 plugged into ir distribution (xantech or otherwise please specify what kind of setup briefly) and working???? I have pretty exhaustively convinced myself that at the very least my unit does not work in this regard but since another person had this problem I at least have doubts.

I have set up a separate isolated xantech system consisting of just a connecting block, receiver, and emitter, and (even though I was pretty sure stereo-stereo is okay) made a mono-mono cable. This still did not work, and Oppo suggested plugging in the emitter as well since the xantech won't put out signal if it doesn't detect an emitter, but I am reasonably sure the block sees the 93 as an emitter and puts out, because the receiver won't blink to indicate receiving if there is no emitter. Still, I plugged in an emitter but alas no joy.

So, can even just one person report this is working???
THanks!

I have a Niles Audio MSU250 unit and it will only work with a stereo-stereo cable. I purchased the cable mono-stereo cable directly from Oppo and it didn't work at all when plugged in in either direction. I also tried the mono-stereo cable from the Niles to my Denon 4310 and it didn't work either.

Seems to me the stereo-stereo cable works in all combinations for me. It even works when I connect the Oppo 93 to the IR Out port in the back of my Denon 4310.

I am now IR emitter free.

I've had several HDMI1 port issues, but will refrain from posting them until I contact Oppo.

Duc
post #1098 of 26908 Old 11-30-2010, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

The folks over in the Pioneer receiver forum who think this might be an overheating problem in the Pioneer would find this interesting. I.e.: Perhaps the Pioneer is shutting down due to the extra heat generated when the Pioneer's chip is asked to do the decoding?
--Bob

I had more than 10 different Pioneer receivers, almost all Elite models. I know they don't work very well with low impedance speakers, 6 or higher is recommended. Almost all shut-off problems I have seen is related to overloading caused by bad wiring or use of speakers rated 2 or 4 Ohms. My hunch is that the Oppo 93 is somehow causing speaker overloading on the Pio, some sort of short maybe.

I will get my 93 today and post results with my Pioneer 94, first testing the HDMI1 only. Since my receiver process DSD direct, I will also test SACD DSD. My plan B is to use HDMI2 to the receiver but I will try to test as much as possible and inform Oppo and this forum.

Standard Definition Causes Lung Cancer, Heart Disease, Emphysema, And May Complicate Pregnancy
post #1099 of 26908 Old 11-30-2010, 12:03 PM

Quote:

--Bob

That's an interesting hypothesis. But why would the Oppo's output generate more heat in the Pioneer than any other source component? And, why would it shut down with nothing more than the screen saver running, no disc inserted?

Since I haven't heard back from them this week on timing of a replacement, I'm certainly willing to give this a try. So far Auto and Bitstream haven't worked.
post #1100 of 26908 Old 11-30-2010, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimoli View Post

I had more than 10 different Pioneer receivers, almost all Elite models. I know they don't work very well with low impedance speakers, 6 or higher is recommended. Almost all shut-off problems I have seen is related to overloading caused by bad wiring or use of speakers rated 2 or 4 Ohms. My hunch is that the Oppo 93 is somehow causing speaker overloading on the Pio, some sort of short maybe.

How would you account for a Pioneer shutting down with no speakers attached? Mine are powered by an EAD Powermaster 2000.
post #1101 of 26908 Old 11-30-2010, 12:14 PM

Here is what we just sent Oppo tech support in their reply this morning to our update email of last night. They said they had not had any problem as of yet with their Integra 9.8.

"Tried a couple of changes with cables. We hooked up HDMI 1 again along with HDMI 2 still having the analog out cables connected as well. Tried two SACDs which would play for 5-10 and then the signal stopped being sent to the 8.8. Removed the HDMI 2 cable. No change. Removed the analog out cables. No change.

In the meantime, we contacted Integra tech support (about 10' on hold). After confirming we were legit owners they took our address and will send a CD with the latest firmware along with instructions. When we update the firmware we'll do another try with HDMI 1 and let you all know. This firmware is not available on the Integra website."

Quote:
Originally Posted by PugetsoundHD View Post

Here's the latest. When I went to email it to Oppo support they had already replied (of course) saying they had not had any reports of this problem with the 8.8 or 9.8.:

"Update on streaming SACD DSD from Oppo BDP-93 to the Integra DTR-8.8. Played a Telarc multichannel all the way through using Direct. Then thought I'd give it a try using DSD streaming. All was fine for 20 or so and then the 93 stopped sending a signal. Turned off both Oppo and the 8.8 and started over hitting Stop 2x to reset the Oppo. Played 4-5 and stopped. Tried again and nothing this time. Pulled another Telarc multichannel, a Sony stereo, a dmp multichannel and, finally, the Trondheimsolistene multichannel out and tried. None of them would stream DSD. As expeccted worked fine in Direct mode.

Therefore, decided to try HDMI 2 out. Put in a multichannel Telarc and took about 15 to establish a connection and then played fine as did all the other discs. As I write this the Trondheimsolistene is still playing. HDMI 2 works as a stopgap but will need it later for a 3D connection."

In the meantime, Perpendicular, hope to get back to testing SQ on both the 83 and 93 tomorrow if I have time.

Gill

post #1102 of 26908 Old 11-30-2010, 12:17 PM

Are any of you who use HDMI 1 to TV & HDMI 2 out to your receiver seeing any lip-sync issues? I plan to go this route with a PN50C8000 3D Sammy TV & Yamaha RX-V465 non 3d capable receiver.
post #1103 of 26908 Old 11-30-2010, 12:32 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigmaace01 View Post

Are any of you who use HDMI 1 to TV & HDMI 2 out to your receiver seeing any lip-sync issues? I plan to go this route with a PN50C8000 3D Sammy TV & Yamaha RX-V465 non 3d capable receiver.

I have found HDMI2 to have pretty consistent audio sync. HDMI1 is a bit more variable during the beta period.

-Bill
post #1104 of 26908 Old 11-30-2010, 12:51 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by PugetsoundHD View Post
In the meantime, Perpendicular, hope to get back to testing SQ on both the 83 and 93 tomorrow if I have time.
Sounds good!
I'm really curious to hear what others have to say about the analog sound quality in comparison with their BDP83, BDP-83SE, or both. It would be nice to compare notes before the reviewers have their say. I've already Posted my thoughts with the other beta testers between the 83 & 93 but want to reserve the details until we get more Forum member's opinions on what they think.

+1 - REALLY want to hear (pun intended) about this... Have read every post in the thread up to this and can't wait to know the SQ of Analog outs between 83, 83SE, and 93!

--J

Thanks to EVERYONE that Helps Make These Threads so Awesome!

post #1105 of 26908 Old 11-30-2010, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
i read that the 93 has the same analogs as the 83se. if that is the case. it will probably be better then the 83.

Jacob
post #1106 of 26908 Old 11-30-2010, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewPannyGuy View Post

Actually not true. 83 does play some bit-for-bit MKV rips of blurays over DLNA, but not all. Agreed its not a sure thing and the behavior varies with different files, but its not that it doesn't play them at all.

Again the 83 is able to play HD audio tracks in MKV files over DLNA, the only quirk is that it is sent as (or at least shows up as on my receiver) DTS-HD HI RES instead of DTS-HD MA. Though on ts and m2ts files, 83 does not even detect an HD audio track (if there are no other audio tracks in the file it plays without sound).

Actually 93 should be a good option for playing ripped blurays through a USB/eSATA drive at least based on the Neuromancer's input. Once the AVCHD support on NTFS drives is fixed, one should be able to play AVCHD with menus on the 93 (basically the exact same interface as bluray).

I have over 100 Blu-rays and none will stream over DLNA on my 83. Can you give me a title that I can try?

I never got HD audio to work and was informed directly by OPPO that "HD Audio is not supported in a MKV container".

Anybody have a title of a Blu-ray rip that can play on the 93?
post #1107 of 26908 Old 11-30-2010, 01:13 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob305 View Post

i read that the 93 has the same analogs as the 83se. if that is the case. it will probably be better then the 83.

Jacob

The -93 uses the same DACs as the -83, not the SE.

-Bill
post #1108 of 26908 Old 11-30-2010, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

I see what you are seeing, and I have no good explanation. I think you should contact Oppo with this information and with details on your AVR/Display setup.

You should expect some subtle differences on the Spears & Munsil charts between the 93 and the 83 as color space fidelity is still being refined on the 93. But the 16 step Black level change between RGB Video Level and RGB PC Level should be unmistakable -- presuming of course that you haven't also made the corresponding RGB flavor change in your AVR/Display. (If BOTH sides of the cable have their RGB setting changed, then of course there should be NO difference in Black or Reference White level -- although Blacker Than Black and Peak White data will of course be missing from any RGB PC Level connection.)

Have you been able to verify the 93 really is sending RGB (by checking status info shown in the AVR/Display at the other end of the cable)? If the 93 is sending YCbCr, of either style, then that would naturally match the black levels of RGB Video Level. Only RGB PC Level should be different, and only if the other end of the cable is not also changed to expect incoming RGB to be the PC Level flavor of RGB.
--Bob

On my AVR (Onkyo TX-SR 605)/Sony XBR5, it I was unable to determine the status of what is being sent over. I do know on the receiver end that is has an option to enable the deep color but that's disabled by default and I also have it off on the display as well.

I did ask Oppo about it last night and they replied and say they do a see a difference in the pictures. I replied to them to clarify if it was the 83 or the 93 they were referring to because looking at the 93 pics, if there is a difference, it is barely noticeable, while the 83 you can see it.

Since you did mention the color space is being refined on the 93, I guess this could explain why the difference as in the pictures do not really show?

Oppo has also solved one of my questions as well regarding why am I hearing a discrepancy between the audio performance between the 93/83 because they have different DSP and decoder. I have asked them to see if the 83 can improved to have play more accurately in terms of the audio.

It appears that the MP4 clips I have obtained from the PSN network is not supported on the 93 and asked if Oppo can fix this. The audio plays but get a message that said it not supported. The MKV workaround, it works.

Just curious you're part of the beta rite?
post #1109 of 26908 Old 11-30-2010, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I also have the onkyo 605. I am bitstreaming the 93 with the 2 HDMI slot and using the tv for HDMI 1.

Jacob
post #1110 of 26908 Old 11-30-2010, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by greinstein View Post

FLV is not working over DLNA yet; I expect future developments.

flv. seems to work via playon, but not on disk or thumbdrive

Anyone else running Playon

I too am running a Playon media mall server from my PC to the Oppo 93. However I am having issues streaming anything. Are you streaming Hulu or Netflix from Playon server? Other files like FLV and mpg are you using the my media etc.? My Oppo closes the server every time I go into an App.

Any chance you can tell me what you did to get things to work or what your setting are?

Thank you,

David

"You buy a Ferrari when you want to be somebody. You buy a Lamborghini when you are somebody." - Frank Sinatra
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Blu Ray Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page