Official OPPO BDP-93 Owner's Thread - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 22Likes

post #91 of 27033 Old 11-22-2010, 12:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I know that oppo does not support iso, is it clear that it will play m2ts files? Is it possible to convert blu ray iso files to m2ts without video or audio(tru hd) loss and play this m2ts on the new oppo 93
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 27033 Old 11-22-2010, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 24
No radio programs yet on the player. Rumor has it that we might pandora soon.

Jacob
post #93 of 27033 Old 11-22-2010, 12:10 PM

Liked: 13
Received my BDP-93 three hours ago. First of all I am impressed by build quality and the looks, same great packaging like Oppo did with the BDP-83. Did the first and advanced setup and put the first Blu-ray in (The Pacific) and PQ is awesome, I do not need to change default settings e.g. noise.

There are two things I noticed with the beta firmware:

If Secondary Audio is set to ON I only get a DTS bitstream to my receiver. If OFF then everything is fine, my Susano says DTS-HD Master Audio

If I play a DSD-SACD it plays but there is no sound. If I set SACD Output to PCM it plays and sounds fine. With my BDP-83 I didn't have this problem I always had the SACD-Setting to DSD

Receiver: Pioneer SC-09TX (Susano)
TV: Pioneer Kuro PRO-151FD (ISF calibrated)
I only use single HDMI (1) connection from BDP-93 to Susano to Kuro

One other thing - I have a Blu-ray copy of Karate Kid (sure I own the original disc) and with the PS3 the sound refuses to play after 30 minutes or so because of the Cinavia content protection on the disc AND PS3. It says Message Code 3: Audio muted see www.cinavia.com

So far the Blu-ray plays awesome with my new Oppo but I'm afraid Oppo will include Cinavia in a future firmware release? Oppo?

post #94 of 27033 Old 11-22-2010, 12:11 PM

How is the streaming video quality? I should be connecting the 93 in a few hours. I have a netflix account, but I discontinued using it. Is this something I should sign up for again to test out, or is it not even worth it? I, probably like many here, have become a bit of an HD snob. I don't have an issue spending a bit of money to pickup a blu-ray copy of a movie I've never seen. Is the streaming netflix quality through the Oppo decent enough that I would find it watchable?

Also, for those who have mentioned noise reduction on some of the older releases, is this is a setting that you toggle on and off depending on the film you are watching? As in, have you noticed any problems with leaving the noise reduction on while watching a reference-quality mastered disc?
post #95 of 27033 Old 11-22-2010, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob305 View Post

No radio programs yet on the player. Rumor has it that we might pandora soon.

Jacob

darn! okay, thanks for the reply. I was really hoping for this feature or the ability to add an app link to Net radio like in Boxee, they cut Pandora off in Canada : (
post #96 of 27033 Old 11-22-2010, 12:37 PM

How did you guys order this thing? I couldn't get to the order page for the "93" from their website and it also appears that ALL of their other players are listed as "sold out". Excellent internet marketing but do they have product to sell? The holiday season hasn't even started yet, are these guys for real?
post #97 of 27033 Old 11-22-2010, 12:40 PM

We preregistered with them, and were given a special chance to order a unit before public release. They 93 is technically not out for the general public yet.
post #98 of 27033 Old 11-22-2010, 12:46 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked: 868
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Park View Post

Received my BDP-93 three hours ago. First of all I am impressed by build quality and the looks, same great packaging like Oppo did with the BDP-83. Did the first and advanced setup and put the first Blu-ray in (The Pacific) and PQ is awesome, I do not need to change default settings e.g. noise.

There are two things I noticed with the beta firmware:

If Secondary Audio is set to ON I only get a DTS bitstream to my receiver. If OFF then everything is fine, my Susano says DTS-HD Master Audio

If I play a DSD-SACD it plays but there is no sound. If I set SACD Output to PCM it plays and sounds fine. With my BDP-83 I didn't have this problem I always had the SACD-Setting to DSD

TV: Pioneer Kuro PRO-151FD (ISF calibrated)
I only use single HDMI (1) connection from BDP-93 to Susano to Kuro

One other thing - I have a Blu-ray copy of Karate Kid (sure I own the original disc) and with the PS3 the sound refuses to play after 30 minutes or so because of the Cinavia content protection on the disc AND PS3. It says Message Code 3: Audio muted see www.cinavia.com

So far the Blu-ray plays awesome with my new Oppo but I'm afraid Oppo will include Cinavia in a future firmware release? Oppo?

With Secondary Audio ON the player sets up to mix the Secondary Audio, when present, into the primary audio track.

This only happens with Blu-Ray.

If you set HDMI LPCM output, the full quality primary audio track is decoded, any Secondary Audio is mixed in to that, and the result is output as LPCM. Note that the full quality of the primary track is preserved.

If you set HDMI Bitstream output, the same thing happens, except that as a final step the LPCM is re-encoded into 1.536Mbps DTS 5.1 for output. This is the high bit rate form of traditional DTS.

Note that in both cases the full quality primary track is used. Contrast with the 83 where the lower quality compatibility track is used.

For Bitstream, the high bit rate DTS re-encode is used because real time re-encoding back into lossless is not available.
--Bob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. -- Need personal consultation/training?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #99 of 27033 Old 11-22-2010, 12:49 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked: 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcrown1 View Post

sorry if this is in the wrong place. Will their be a place to talk about the upcomming 95 and what great audiophile features it will have?

I'm sure there will be. Since nothing is known yet maybe it is a bit premature?

-Bill

|

Unofficial OPPO FAQS:
|
|
|

post #100 of 27033 Old 11-22-2010, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElwayLite View Post

We preregistered with them, and were given a special chance to order a unit before public release. They 93 is technically not out for the general public yet.

Thank you very much. If you guys just got yours and needed to pre-register for it, it means you are beta-testers and they want feedback from you to finetune the machine before a wider release. This sure ain't gonna happen before Xmas, that's too bad (got excited for nothing).
post #101 of 27033 Old 11-22-2010, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

With Secondary Audio ON the player sets up to mix the Secondary Audio, when present, into the primary audio track.

This only happens with Blu-Ray.

--Bob

And this is not a limitation of just the 93 -- isn't this the same for every blu-ray player? In other words, its a blu-ray issue (not an Oppo issue). That is, with any blu-ray player, with secondary audio ON, you always lose Dolby True Hd and/or DTS Master HD when you bitstream -- right?

post #102 of 27033 Old 11-22-2010, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upgrader View Post

How did you guys order this thing? I couldn't get to the order page for the "93" from their website and it also appears that ALL of their other players are listed as "sold out". Excellent internet marketing but do they have product to sell? The holiday season hasn't even started yet, are these guys for real?

A couple folks over at the "BDP-93 Pre-release" thread are giving up there early release invitation emails.

Love DIY
post #103 of 27033 Old 11-22-2010, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

they are missing out on a fine player.

Jacob
post #104 of 27033 Old 11-22-2010, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

they are missing out on a fine player.

Jacob

I'm sure the "early-release" has many folks hesitant given possible firmware issues etc. Mainly folks who have not owned or dealt with OPPO previously.
JMHO

Love DIY
post #105 of 27033 Old 11-22-2010, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

I have had the player since friday.. yes its still in beta testing. its looking very good.

Jacob
post #106 of 27033 Old 11-22-2010, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

If you set HDMI Bitstream output, the same thing happens, except that as a final step the LPCM is re-encoded into 1.536Mbps DTS 5.1 for output. This is the high bit rate form of traditional DTS.

--Bob

The high bit rate of "traditional DTS" is not the same as lossless DTS Master HD is it? So you are not getting the "full quality priamry track" with secondary audio on and bitstream -- right?

post #107 of 27033 Old 11-22-2010, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Are both USB ports (front and rear) active at the same time? Can I put a HD in the back and thumb drive in the front and select which one I want to use for BD Live or local playback?

Addicted to shiny round discs with HD content

BDP-83 EAP (second group)
post #108 of 27033 Old 11-22-2010, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have had the player since friday.. yes its still in beta testing. its looking very good.

Jacob

Good to hear - I know myself and those still waiting (this Fri for me) appreciate all of your/others initial comments, reactions and findings. Once ours are in-hand it will be that much easier to get up to speed. Almost like reading bits and pieces of the manual ahead of time.

Cheers

Love DIY
post #109 of 27033 Old 11-22-2010, 01:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:

Yes, they are for real. Based in Mountain View, California and have been engineering and selling players for several years now.
If you sign up to be notified of when the player is released or more info about the player, then you may receive an invitation to purchase the player before going on sale to the general public, just like some people here have.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
post #110 of 27033 Old 11-22-2010, 01:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked: 224
Quote:

Jacob

To clarify:
You are not "beta testing" the player. Oppo has a beta testing program that is on-going for the life of each model. You have been given the opportunity to buy and use the player "pre-release" with feedback being encouraged. But beta testing is a separate thing which never stops and is on-going outside the pre-release program. There is still a beta testing program going on for the BDP-83 and BDP-80 too. Future firmware revisions for the BDP-93 will go through QC and beta testing before you get them, just as the 1108 firmware did.
post #111 of 27033 Old 11-22-2010, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by xradman View Post

Are both USB ports (front and rear) active at the same time?

Yes
Quote:
Originally Posted by xradman View Post

Can I put a HD in the back and thumb drive in the front and select which one I want to use for BD Live or local playback?

It's recommended that you don't use a USB hard disk against persistent storage, only a USB flash drive. Once a substitute for internal flash is selected you need to turn off, then on the 93 for it to be utilized.

Oppo Beta Group
post #112 of 27033 Old 11-22-2010, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caesar1 View Post

And this is not a limitation of just the 93 -- isn't this the same for every blu-ray player? In other words, its a blu-ray issue (not an Oppo issue). That is, with any blu-ray player, with secondary audio ON, you always lose Dolby True Hd and/or DTS Master HD when you bitstream -- right?

Not with the PS3 slim but it is an easy fix for me on the Oppo - since I do not need secondary audio I just turn it off.

post #113 of 27033 Old 11-22-2010, 01:36 PM

Location: Derby City, USA- a blue oasis in a sea of red-state insanity...
Liked: 15
Quote:

So how do you like the 93's SACD/PCM playback on your SC-09? Any other issues, other than the DSD issue (which I'm sure will be resolved)? I own an SC-25, plus about 83 SACDs; so I'm very curious about this aspect of it's performance (plus looking foreward to fan-free Blu-ray playback). Also- is Susano your receiver's nickname?
post #114 of 27033 Old 11-22-2010, 01:43 PM

No, Pioneer likes to give their flagship receivers names of Japanese Gods – Susano is the god of the moon

I love the SACD/PCM playback a lot but sure I will need more time to listen to more of my SACD and DVD-A’s.

post #115 of 27033 Old 11-22-2010, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV View Post

Yes
It's recommended that you don't use a USB hard disk against persistent storage, only a USB flash drive. Once a substitute for internal flash is selected you need to turn off, then on the 93 for it to be utilized.

So I could have a thumb drive in the front USB port for BD Live and portable HD in the back USB port for media playback? Has anyone tried a USB hub in the back?

Addicted to shiny round discs with HD content

BDP-83 EAP (second group)
post #116 of 27033 Old 11-22-2010, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJSmitty View Post

A couple folks over at the "BDP-93 Pre-release" thread are giving up there early release invitation emails.

I am passing for right now..I have a brand new 83,last of the new ones at Audio Advisor last month

maybe after they get the bugs out but right now I have a few too many players

anyone looking for a pioneer 51?

I'm sure the 93 will be great soon, but it's not at the level the 83 at this moment
post #117 of 27033 Old 11-22-2010, 01:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:

Thank you very much. If you guys just got yours and needed to pre-register for it, it means you are beta-testers and they want feedback from you to finetune the machine before a wider release. This sure ain't gonna happen before Xmas, that's too bad (got excited for nothing).

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJSmitty View Post

I'm sure the "early-release" has many folks hesitant given possible firmware issues etc. Mainly folks who have not owned or dealt with OPPO previously.
JMHO

Not much room to be hesitant, since it is by invitation only, and among those who have received invites, they are virtually stampeding to get their hands on a player that is still not quite finished yet.
This is due to the outstanding reputation that has been bestowed upon OPPO for their history of selling high quality players at laymans' pricing, combined with top shelf customer service and support of full featured universal dvd and BD players.

You will also find that not many individuals unknowing of what OPPO is all about will be signing up for that information on their website, but more or less the fans of OPPO, and those in-the-know about their products are there looking for information, so this makes for a good opportunity to get the players into the hands of those that want it most, while at the same time rewarding their best customers with early release of the player.

Early adopters are not beta-testers. They are owners of the player that can enjoy 99% of the features offered in the player, while awaiting a couple more firmware revisions to help fine tune what may still need tweaking to get the player to optimum performance.
Owners are encouraged to offer OPPO feedback from their use of the player, because this could help OPPO best determine how to make the player operate to the best of it's ability for all users, but no owner is required to send feedback.
Satisfaction is also 100% guaranteed by OPPO, since all current owners and early adopters will have a large grace period for returning the player if they wish to do so (up to 30 days AFTER the player is released for sale to the general public).

All that and an anti-static shopping bag too.
What more could you ask for?
Now nod if you see that this best deal going in home theater electronics right now. Now tell me if you nodded...

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
post #118 of 27033 Old 11-22-2010, 02:01 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked: 868
Quote:

Not with the PS3 slim but it is an easy fix for me on the Oppo - since I do not need secondary audio I just turn it off.

Check again. I seriously doubt you get TrueHD or DTS-HD MA Bitstream output from your PS3 Slim along with Secondary Audio mixed in, because that would require them to re-encode that lossless Bitstream on the fly. Nobody does that in real time.
--Bob

. -- Need personal consultation/training?
post #119 of 27033 Old 11-22-2010, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:

Check again. I seriously doubt you get TrueHD or DTS-HD MA Bitstream output from your PS3 Slim along with Secondary Audio mixed in, because that would require them to re-encode that lossless Bitstream on the fly. Nobody does that in real time.
--Bob

I agree with this statement. For secondary audio mixed in, the PS3 provides LPCM. Same as the 83.

Chet
post #120 of 27033 Old 11-22-2010, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Although, I'm still not sure that I like how the 93 does secondary audio. I think I'm going to have to stick with bitstreamed audio any because I need to lossy track for my D-BOX sync.

Chet
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page