Official OPPO BDP-93 Owner's Thread - Page 40 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 13Likes

post #1171 of 26943 Old 11-30-2010, 08:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Received and started up my BDP-93 this evening.

Overall outstanding picture and audio from blu-ray, dvd upconversion, SACD discs.

Basic setup - HDMI 1 to Dennon 3808CI to Sony 46XBR6

I did have a problem and sent the info below to Oppo support ...

Wireless connection problematic. Connected up easily with my wireless network - no problems there. Once connected as soon as I would attempt to access the net - such as to check on firmware updates, or for netflix the wireless connection would dropout, freeze up my network, and freeze up the player. I could power down the player, my network would come back on-line and start over.

Any fixes in the offing? Would I have more stability if I used the Oppo wireless bridge (previously purchased and has worked well for me)?

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1172 of 26943 Old 11-30-2010, 08:07 PM

I set up my 93 tonite and it was very simple. Played the movie Green Zone and had quite a bit of handshakes going on but had read Bob's post #1095 was ready for what was going on. I have the Oppo HDMI1 going into an Onkyo RC 160 and HDMI out to tv so I understand that HDMI1 will be better in the future. Also no lip-sync problem on BD. Just getting familiar with this fine piece of equipment.
post #1173 of 26943 Old 11-30-2010, 08:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

Good sleuthing, dude. Did MediaInfo end up helping you in your quest for such a discrepancy?

well, I used mediainfo first on the two, and they were both identical. I found it odd though that everytime my receiver clicked in the 5.1 setting and tried to start decoding, the 93 froze. So I then opened both files in mkvmerge and noticed that one had the audio track marked "yes" on default track, and it was marked "no" on the other.

I emailed oppo about it, and they asked me what versions of mkvmerge were used, and told me they would try and replicate the problem in house.

Very impressive customer service, as always.
post #1174 of 26943 Old 11-30-2010, 08:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Bob Pariseau,

I got a response from Oppo. They say it is probably my display, that the setting changes on the BDP-93 are appearing minor. Since they also mentioned they are making adjustments to the color space in future firmware distribution and mention that the color space is providing the corrections. I look forward to see if the newer firmware can make the differences noticeable.

As far as the MP4 videos go, Oppo has forwarded to the engineers to find out why is the video not displaying as they confirmed on their end when they looked at them.
post #1175 of 26943 Old 11-30-2010, 08:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Bronstein View Post

To clarify, the IR cord Oppo sells DOES NOT work with the 93? Will a standard mono cord work like most other remotes? I purchased one with my 93, but it seems odd they would send it knowing it wouldn't work.....

I don't think they would send it to you for the 93, it was for the 83 specifically. In general I believe and have experienced that you can use a stereo-stereo wherever a mono-mono is called for. If you examine them side by side you can see why this is true, the tip is the same length, and on most jacks, the ground contacts the barrel pretty close to the base end, so they will see it as a mono cable. Only stereo jacks have the middle (pretty short) ring that can only be hit by the extra finger in the stereo jacks.
post #1176 of 26943 Old 11-30-2010, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

You can't turn off Java in a BR player. The licensing authority doesn't allow it. And I don't think discs with java would play anyway.

OK, it looks like I'm confusing BD-Java with BD-Live, which you can disable on many players. I thought that the old Profile 1 players didn't support BD-Java, but it looks like I was mistaken.

I finally found out how to search this forum better, and it looks like the BDP-93 Netflix at least supports browse (and I assume add to queue), but not search.
post #1177 of 26943 Old 11-30-2010, 08:48 PM

Hi everyone. I got my BDP-93 today and fired up a DVD and a Bluray movie. Everything looks and sounds great to me!

I have a Pioneer VSX-1120-K receiver. This thread is too unwieldy for me to make much sense of it, but I see some whining about Pioneers. Does anyone want me to test anything in particular?

Unfortunately I have a limited setup at the moment: two speakers, non-3D TV, no SACD or DVD-A discs. I have only HDMI-1 connected but can try other connections if desired.
post #1178 of 26943 Old 11-30-2010, 10:02 PM
cwt
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

Such testing is good.

My point is that just because it works, and even if it is designed to work well as a protection mechanism, pushing or pulling on the tray is not a good habit to get into.
--Bob

Certainly agree Bob ; and wouldnt want to tempt the fates even considering oppo has been quoted as saying in the audioholic interview re the new transport
Quote:

transport rigidity and mechanical noise reduction, yes there are significant upgrades.

C T Wiebe; definetely wasnt implying the 93 had a phillips transport [ they put those in meridian players ] ; just hoping the transport had good logic that wouldnt burnt out the motor [ some reviews down here you read of a misaligned disc causing the motor to keep running without ejecting to a safe spot and turning off The oppo wouldnt do this no doubt
Quote:

The transport is a custom-built loader made by Tohei Group of Japan

post #1179 of 26943 Old 11-30-2010, 11:55 PM

Hi,

I Will be receiving mine around tuesday. I will be hooking it up to a Yamaha RX-Z11 via HDMI. Does anyone has a similar setup? Any heads up?
post #1180 of 26943 Old 12-01-2010, 01:27 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvansowhat View Post

I set up my 93 tonite and it was very simple. Played the movie Green Zone and had quite a bit of handshakes going on but had read Bob's post #1095 was ready for what was going on. I have the Oppo HDMI1 going into an Onkyo RC 160 and HDMI out to tv so I understand that HDMI1 will be better in the future. Also no lip-sync problem on BD. Just getting familiar with this fine piece of equipment.

Did the handshakes while playing Green Zone manifest as audio drop outs? Was this a BD or DVD? My DVD had several audio drop outs; could be a bad disc?

Denon X4000: Yamaha AS500;TS500;CDS300: Pioneer BDP62FD;BDP23FD;DV58AV;DV610: Panasonic DMP-BDT500; Sony BDP-S790; Samsung PS60E6500
post #1181 of 26943 Old 12-01-2010, 01:51 AM

Liked: 14
Please tell me what the 2 acc. that come in the black box with the power cord.It looks like they would be for wireless hookup and to go on line with a wireless router????

EAP {First Fifty} OPPO BDP-83 BLU-RAY, Oppo BDP-93 First Batch Issued, Oppo BDP-103 First Batch Issued

post #1182 of 26943 Old 12-01-2010, 02:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by voigtskins View Post

Please tell me what the 2 acc. that come in the black box with the power cord.It looks like they would be for wireless hookup and to go on line with a wireless router????

Read your manual, it should tell you what they are. One of them should be the "wireless dongle" that you can plug into the Ethernet port for a wireless connection.

- Claus {non-Santa model}
post #1183 of 26943 Old 12-01-2010, 02:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
So far I've listened to SACD, CD, few scenes from 3D BD, DVD's and even 3D clips from my USB Thumb Drive. Very impressed, especially with the DVD upconversion so far. I had one lock-up, drawer was open and would not close, either pushing play or eject from remote or front panel had no effect. Did a reset by holding down the front panel power button. All was well after that. Maybe sent to many commands at once by my Harmoney One. Can't wait to watch my next movie!

"The powerful will be ripped from their decadent nests. And cast out into the cold world that we know and endure. Courts will be convened. Spoils will be enjoyed!"

-Bane

post #1184 of 26943 Old 12-01-2010, 04:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

First, please search the BDP-83 FAQ for Deep Color and Color Space. Plenty of info there.

-Bill

Okay, I read it. Didn't know the 83 had the same settings. I think I'll leave deep color off.

However, after reading the FAQ, I'm still not clear why 4:4:4 would be better than auto?
post #1185 of 26943 Old 12-01-2010, 04:42 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by caesar1 View Post

However, after reading the FAQ, I'm still not clear why 4:4:4 would be better than auto?

Many of us have a general bias against anything AUTO in consumer electronics. In trying to help people here with their problems we often find gear where (a) it doesn't work, and (b) causes trouble like excess handshakes when it tries to work.

The best settings for Color Space, Resolution, etc, do not change from moment to moment so why not nail them down with a specific value and skip the worry?

All this is stated in detail in the BDP-83 FAQ: What are the recommended settings for the OPPO BDP-83?

-Bill
post #1186 of 26943 Old 12-01-2010, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caesar1 View Post

Explain these setting choices please. Why would color space not be set to the default of "auto", rather than 4:4:4? What advantages are there to choosing 4:4:4 over auto? Is 4:4:4 something that most displays use?

For deep color, is that even used by any blu-rays, or is that there for future use? If you turn deep color on, and the blu-ray does not have "deep color", does it effect the picture negatively?

What is the down-side to always leaving deep color set to on? What is the down-side to leaving it off (if any)? Does your display need to be deep color compatible? What if you display is not deep color compatible, and you turn on deep color -- what happens?

The 2010 Panny's are setup to accept 4:4:4 36 bit direct, so Auto is going to select that also. I have my 93 feeding out 4:2:2, not because I dont want 4:4:4 to my S2, but because the DVDO unit turns everything it accepts into 4:2:2 before processing. So sending 4:2:2 from the 93 is less conversion for the DVDO, which then, on AUTO, sends 4:4:4 to the Panny S2. 4:4:4 or Auto would be fine to your tv, just make sure the Denon menu is setup for YCBCR 4:4:4.

I agree with Bob on picking one, and not using auto. 4:4:4 is fine for your VT25.
post #1187 of 26943 Old 12-01-2010, 06:09 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
"Source Direct" is not working properly for me with MKV files.

- 1080p/23.976fps files are sent to the projector at 1080i/60

- 720p/23.976 files are sent to the projector at 480i/60 and are squished (pillarboxed)

Blu-Ray discs are being sent at the proper frame rate.

My display is an Epson 8000 projector which handles 23.976 from my WDTV Live just fine. The '93 is playing these files back at the wrong resolution and/or refresh rate from both USB and DLNA.

Anyone else having similar problems or have any suggestions as to how to get the 93 to send the proper signal? Oh, and when I select ANY file for playback (MKV, TS, etc.) it is NOT displaying the resolution and framerate info on the left side of the screen.
post #1188 of 26943 Old 12-01-2010, 06:15 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheld View Post

Oh, and when I select ANY file for playback (MKV, TS, etc.) it is NOT displaying the resolution and framerate info on the left side of the screen.

That works for only for .avi files. Needs additional work in the APIs for the other formats. The previous players were the same.

-Bill
post #1189 of 26943 Old 12-01-2010, 06:20 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 57
My oppo 93 delivery is scheduled for Friday!!! I cant wait. The TV people are coming to replace my base that day too. I feel a major sickness coming on...caugh...caugh....

Argyl Home Theater - Indefinitely Delayed

My Movie Library - and still growing!

Family Room: Sharp LC-80uq17u + Denon 3808ci + Oppo 93, Speakers: C: Polk CSi-A6, F(L+R): Polk Rti-A7, S(R+RS) Polk TC60i, Sub: HSU – VTF3-MK4
post #1190 of 26943 Old 12-01-2010, 06:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 416
I have a quick question for 93 owners. Being that I have no experience with computer based music I have a question regarding using a USB drive for music with the 93. When using a USB drive how does one select songs? Can the 93's remote be used to select tracks and albums? Are you able to see the song/album selections on the connected display? Thanks.

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #1191 of 26943 Old 12-01-2010, 06:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiptouz View Post

..caugh...caugh....

Wow, that cough sounds terrible.

"The dream never dies, just the dreamer."

post #1192 of 26943 Old 12-01-2010, 06:28 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Been playing with the 93 for a few days now and here are a couple of observations/issues I am having:

Remote:

The remote sensitivity seems low, I have to point my oppo remote or my mx850 right at the sensor to get a response. If this is the way it is, I will have to put an blaster on the 93. I am used to just pointing the remote anywhere and the 83 pick it up.
The response to the remote seems sluggish.
I had to reprogram the "enter" button on the 850. When I used it on the 83 it worked great, but on the 93 pressing the enter would cause multiple entries. I just reprogrammed with a shorter burst.

Wireless connection:

Setting up the wireless seemed OK, the 93 detected my router accepted the WPA password and said connection successful, but my routers connected devices list does not show the 93 and I can't connect. Have not figured out what is going on. Any idea on this?
post #1193 of 26943 Old 12-01-2010, 06:40 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

I have a quick question for 93 owners. Being that I have no experience with computer based music I have a question regarding using a USB drive for music with the 93. When using a USB drive how does one select songs? Can the 93's remote be used to select tracks and albums? Are you able to see the song/album selections on the connected display? Thanks.

Bill

There is a simple browser that shows on the TV. It is just a view of file names and folders, so it depends on how you have your music arranged.

The manual is not online yet, but you can see illustrations of the browser in the BDP-83 manual (pdf).

-Bill
post #1194 of 26943 Old 12-01-2010, 06:49 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 62
I admit that I have only had the 93 a few days and I have not had a chance to really dig into this players abilities. I have read all the post and no one has posted this observation. Is it me and my old eyes or is the Video better on HDMI 2 than it is on HDMI 1 ? I was switching between inputs and messing withe sound department when I noticed this. I know HDMI 1 has the better Video proccessing. I'm wondering if this is because of the tweaking yet to come from Oppo on the new Video proccessing chip. I have HDMI 1 direct to Pioneer Kuro 150 and HDMI 2 to Onkyo 886 Pre/Pro then to Kuro. I have the Onkyo Video set to Pass thru and the OPPO set to 1080P output, 4:4:4. With this setup going bitstream to the Onkyo. I can start out on HDMI1 then switch on the Onkyo the OPPO will Automatically cut audio passing on HDMI 1 and redirect all audio output to Onkyo for surround sound, but when I shut off the Onkyo it does not redirect sound to HDMI 1. No Biggie.
Just my first observations. Bye the way I have not been running into a lot of issues for my needs, just little Electronic Chess Moves in the settings on all equipment Hooked up to it. Going along quite Good actually.

Thanks,

Glenee
( Old Fart)

Nothing's Perfect So Stop Expecting It ! Glenee

post #1195 of 26943 Old 12-01-2010, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacklion View Post

Did the handshakes while playing Green Zone manifest as audio drop outs? Was this a BD or DVD? My DVD had several audio drop outs; could be a bad disc?

All of my handshakes occured as Green Zone was loading up to the FBI warning. After that the movie played without a single problem. Post #1095 pretty well sums it up when starting some discs. My disc is new and just purchased that day so it seems HDMI1 has this minor problem to me.
post #1196 of 26943 Old 12-01-2010, 06:57 AM

Just a report:

Ive watched The Last Airbender, Aliens vs Predator and Master and Commander. Have also used Netflix, and listened to a Pink Floyd SACD. Only issue Ive run into, and reported, is the wireless connectivity. Pretty darn happy so far.
post #1197 of 26943 Old 12-01-2010, 07:05 AM

Liked: 13
Just received the BDP-93 yesterday, and swapped out my BDP-83 for it. Video quality looks great on both blu-ray and DVD; I haven't noticed any obvious differences from the BDP-83. Remote codes for the BDP-83 on my Logitech Harmony One work fine for the 93.

The 93 also doesn't seem to have the "4:10" bug, and in general fast forward and fast reverse are much smoother for both DVD and blu-ray. The loading/eject sounds are quieter, too.

Streaming quality for Netflix is better than through my TiVo Series 3. I've been able to stream .mp3 files, and look forward to being able to stream FLAC.

In all, I'm pleased with the upgrade. The new streaming features are especially nice.
post #1198 of 26943 Old 12-01-2010, 07:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 416
Quote:

There is a simple browser that shows on the TV. It is just a view of file names and folders, so it depends on how you have your music arranged.

The manual is not online yet, but you can see illustrations of the browser in the BDP-83 manual (pdf).

-Bill

Bill,

Thanks for your help! I looked at the 83 manual and it answers all my questions. Now my big decision will be to go with the 93 and an external DAC or wait for the 95. I will have to educate myself more about computer based audio use. But I'm thinking if most of my audio playback in the future will be computer based the 93/DAC combo might be the better choice.

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #1199 of 26943 Old 12-01-2010, 07:22 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Bill,
I have the Wyred 4 Sound Dac and it's good stuff.

Nothing's Perfect So Stop Expecting It ! Glenee

post #1200 of 26943 Old 12-01-2010, 07:53 AM

Is there a trick to this, repeat button just gives me an error icon. Manual states not all blu ray movies are compatible but same movies played on other blu ray players work fine w/ this option.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Blu Ray Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page