Forum Jump: 
 8Likes

post #12691 of 26928 Old 07-11-2011, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this question, but I'll ask anyway... I'd like the player to, when I power it on go right to the "Home" screen after it finishes booting up. Is there a way to program it to do that?

If not, that's something I'd like to see in the future. Afterall, this machine is more than a BD player, so automating the process of getting into say, the Netflix app quicker would be beneficial, IMO.

Please don't confront me with my failures, I'm aware of them. - Greg Allman
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12692 of 26928 Old 07-11-2011, 10:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Pretty much the only real solution is to leave a USB thumbdrive connected to the player that has a file on it (movie, music, or picture). This will force the player to the HOME menu as long as there is no disc in the player.
post #12693 of 26928 Old 07-11-2011, 11:10 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post

Pretty much the only real solution is to leave a USB thumbdrive connected to the player that has a file on it (movie, music, or picture). This will force the player to the HOME menu as long as there is no disc in the player.

Very cool trick, and I'd say it's worth adding to the FAQ. Certainly beats the heck out of programming a 20-odd second startup delay into your remote for Netflix...
post #12694 of 26928 Old 07-11-2011, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatBus View Post

Very cool trick, and I'd say it's worth adding to the FAQ. Certainly beats the heck out of programming a 20-odd second startup delay into your remote for Netflix...

Which is exactly what I was getting at with my question. Thanks for that CatBus.

(Note to self: Try a 25 second delay instead of 10 seconds for the 880 remote)

post #12695 of 26928 Old 07-11-2011, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich3fan View Post

I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this question, but I'll ask anyway... I'd like the player to, when I power it on go right to the "Home" screen after it finishes booting up. Is there a way to program it to do that?

If not, that's something I'd like to see in the future. Afterall, this machine is more than a BD player, so automating the process of getting into say, the Netflix app quicker would be beneficial, IMO.

Please make your request directly with Oppo as others of us have done. The bottom line, after a long string of e-mails, is they are at least considering it. The more they hear from customers, the better the chance of it happening.

This is especially aggravating when discs (DVD and BD) are left in the player. At least there is a workaround for disc autoplay, mentioned by Bob I think, that if you press the Home button as it's powering up, it stops the disc from loading and goes to the Home screen.

Still, a better solution is to give us a user option to default directly to the Home Screen on power up to those of us that use the Oppo for much more than playing discs.
post #12696 of 26928 Old 07-11-2011, 11:21 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich3fan View Post

Quote:

Even an EMPTY USB stick in the front or rear port will cause the player to boot up into Home menu (assuming no disc left in the tray).

If you DO have a disc in the tray (and a USB stick plugged in), just power up the player using the Tray Open button on the front panel or remote and you'll get the same result.

By the way, with the Public Beta firmware, the Home button on the remote will toggle between Home menu and the Oppo splash screen. This is useful if you have a disc in the tray and want to start it by pressing the Play button -- perhaps having entered a track number for a music disc. The Play button won't work on Home menu (since the player doesn't know which media you want to play) but assumes the disc when on the splash screen.

If you are in a sub-menu or app entered from Home menu, press Home once to get back to Home menu, and then press Home again to get to that splash screen.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #12697 of 26928 Old 07-11-2011, 11:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 197
Some folks may recall that the BDP-93 was originally programmed to boot to the Home menu, but this was changed due to complaints from a majority of users. It's nice for those who want it but a nuisance for those who just want to play a disc. A user-selectable option for this function is the best solution.
But it's not like a single press of the "Home" button on the remote is much of an imposition.
post #12698 of 26928 Old 07-11-2011, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

Even an EMPTY USB stick in the front or rear port will cause the player to boot up into Home menu (assuming no disc left in the tray).

If you DO have a disc in the tray (and a USB stick plugged in), just power up the player using the Tray Open button on the front panel or remote and you'll get the same result.

By the way, with the Public Beta firmware, the Home button on the remote will toggle between Home menu and the Oppo splash screen. This is useful if you have a disc in the tray and want to start it by pressing the Play button -- perhaps having entered a track number for a music disc. The Play button won't work on Home menu (since the player doesn't know which media you want to play) but assumes the disc when on the splash screen.

If you are in a sub-menu or app entered from Home menu, press Home once to get back to Home menu, and then press Home again to get to that splash screen.
--Bob

I notice that over the weekend after the update.

Jacob
post #12699 of 26928 Old 07-11-2011, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

Some folks may recall that the BDP-93 was originally programmed to boot to the Home menu, but this was changed due to complaints from a majority of users. It's nice for those who want it but a nuisance for those who just want to play a disc. A user-selectable option for this function is the best solution.
But it's not like a single press of the "Home" button on the remote is much of an imposition.

Even without going back to the OPPO logo closing the tray with a standard disc (CD, DVD, Blu-ray) will load the program properly as long as you were in the base directory of the HOME menu.
post #12700 of 26928 Old 07-11-2011, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Maybe my CRS is acting up, but I've had the 93 since launch last November and I can't recall that it ever defaulted to the Home screen. Are you sure that wasn't in a beta version that we (non-beta testers) weren't privy to?

Anyway, I totally agree a user option is the best solution.
post #12701 of 26928 Old 07-11-2011, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

The BDP-83 had a firmware in December 2009 which defaulted to the HOME screen. The BDP-9x would only go to the Home screen when you have no disc in the player and there is attached storage (eSATA or USB).
post #12702 of 26928 Old 07-11-2011, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The BDP-83 had a firmware in December 2009 which defaulted to the HOME screen. The BDP-9x would only go to the Home screen when you have no disc in the player and there is attached storage (eSATA or USB).

Ahh, the 83. But then, I think you would agree the 93 does so much more, esp. with streaming services.
post #12703 of 26928 Old 07-11-2011, 12:46 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 318
I've adapted a section from the BDP-83 FAQ, added the Home menu tricks, and added it to the BDP-93 FAQ: Are there any hidden features?

I've also created a new topic: What audio/video codecs are NOT supported? These are codecs in my test suite that are not currently supported. Some are obsolete and probably not very important. As the note says, if you have others that are not working, let me know via the comment link.

-Bill
post #12704 of 26928 Old 07-11-2011, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

...But it's not like a single press of the "Home" button on the remote is much of an imposition.

No, it's not much of an imposition, but as I eluded to, I have a Harmony 880 remote that, without programming in a long inter-key delay, my "Start NetFlix" activity doesn't work. CatBus suggested using a +20 second delay, which means that each step to start the "Watch NetFlix" activity will take 20 or more seconds each, which isn't really acceptable to me. And frankly, my Oppo remote doesn't seem to have near the signal strength that my Harmony remote has, and I also seem to notice that some buttons stick when pressed, so I'm tranisitioning all of the 93's remote's duties over to the 880.

Neuromancer, Bob, thanks for your input and suggestions, and I'll send my request politely to Oppo support.

Meanwhile, I think I'll stop at the local Electronics store and buy my first ever thumbdrive.

post #12705 of 26928 Old 07-11-2011, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

You should use SOURCE rather than HOME. Netflix is always at the top most selection of SOURCE, so you just need to give it the SOURCE command then ENTER.
post #12706 of 26928 Old 07-11-2011, 01:22 PM

Quote:

You should use SOURCE rather than HOME. Netflix is always at the top most selection of SOURCE, so you just need to give it the SOURCE command then ENTER.

Please keep the hits coming, Neuromancer! This is great info for programmable remotes.
post #12707 of 26928 Old 07-11-2011, 02:25 PM

Liked: 10
I've been considering the Harmony 700 or One, and I was wondering if you could program it to go straight to Netflix on the Oppo, or also to my network with Twonky My concern is that I always have to wait for the Oppo to connect to my router before it can find these things. It feels like it take an eternity, but it is probably on the order of 10-20 seconds. I don't know much about the Harmony remotes and their capabilities, but they seem to be the only decent option out there at the moment.
post #12708 of 26928 Old 07-11-2011, 02:26 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mp0wer View Post

Has Oppo supported HD audio in a MKV file in any of these releases?

Currently, no, and the last I knew Oppo's response has remained the same as always which is that they are looking into it but it may never be supported.

Frankly, now that ISO support has been added for DVD and Blu-Ray I can see absolutely no reason for HD audio to not be supported in an a Matroska container. Initially I could have seen part of the reasoning being that there might be a connection to people not necessarily owning the content they are trying to watch although that is a bunch of hooey, IMHO. Matroska is simply a great media container and a lot of people use it for backing up their media material to a HDD. Nonetheless, now that we do have ISO support I am really hoping we finally get support for HD audio in Matroska.
post #12709 of 26928 Old 07-11-2011, 03:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

I've adapted a section from the BDP-83 FAQ, added the Home menu tricks, and added it to the BDP-93 FAQ: Are there any hidden features?
-Bill

..and the BDP-93 FAQ is now a desktop icon on my home computer. Big thumbs up Bill!

post #12710 of 26928 Old 07-11-2011, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacster View Post

It feels like it take an eternity, but it is probably on the order of 10-20 seconds.

It's actually over 20 seconds before the BDP-93 will accept the IR codes for starting Netflix. FWIW for my Netflix activity, I also insert a STOP command just before the HOME command (soon to be changed to the SOURCE command!) just in case someone left a disc in the player, to prevent autoplay.
post #12711 of 26928 Old 07-11-2011, 03:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatBus View Post

It's actually over 20 seconds before the BDP-93 will accept the IR codes for starting Netflix. FWIW for my Netflix activity, I also insert a STOP command just before the HOME command (soon to be changed to the SOURCE command!) just in case someone left a disc in the player, to prevent autoplay.

When there are very long delays, I find that a large percentage of the time, I end up missing the command at the time it is needed to execute it, along with any other remaining commands. Then, I need the Help button which goes through the sequence again, adding more delay.

For me it's easier to just go through the power on sequence, and then execute another activity after I know the Oppo and other equipment has powered up and is ready for another command. In other words, two button presses instead of one. If there are activities without long delays, such as playing a disc, this additional step isn't necessary.

I have the Harmony One and it seems to send a stronger signal than the Oppo remote so that is also an advantage.

edit: it seems one of the reasons the delay is so long to get to the Home screen or accept other commands is because the Oppo has to first check to see if there is a disc in the player for disc autoplay. Now if one could have the option to disable disc autoplay...
post #12712 of 26928 Old 07-11-2011, 06:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kincaid View Post

Currently, no, and the last I knew Oppo's response has remained the same as always which is that they are looking into it but it may never be supported.

Frankly, now that ISO support has been added for DVD and Blu-Ray I can see absolutely no reason for HD audio to not be supported in an a Matroska container. Initially I could have seen part of the reasoning being that there might be a connection to people not necessarily owning the content they are trying to watch although that is a bunch of hooey, IMHO. Matroska is simply a great media container and a lot of people use it for backing up their media material to a HDD. Nonetheless, now that we do have ISO support I am really hoping we finally get support for HD audio in Matroska.

Interesting point.
Umm can you point to an easy tutorial for those of us who aren't experts on how to convert mkv with flac audio to a lossless audio format that the bdp-93 can use?
post #12713 of 26928 Old 07-11-2011, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocoon View Post

Interesting point.
Umm can you point to an easy tutorial for those of us who aren't experts on how to convert mkv with flac audio to a lossless audio format that the bdp-93 can use?

I'm not sure you can easily convert FLAC audio to another lossless format (such as DTS). You can, however, easily convert it to AC3 using something like the Aften AC3 utility or eac3to. MeGUI is another excellent tool.
The first step is to extract the FLAC file (easiest way to do this is with MKVExtract). Second step is to convert it. Third step is to remux the AC3 audio with the video into an .mkv file, using MKVMerge GUI. Try videohelp.com/tools for everything you need (including "how to" guides).
It would obviously be much easier if the 93 supported FLAC in an .mkv container, but until it does you really shouldn't use FLAC audio in your rips.
post #12714 of 26928 Old 07-11-2011, 07:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriousHorse View Post

I'm not sure you can easily convert FLAC audio to another lossless format (such as DTS). You can, however, easily convert it to AC3 using something like the Aften AC3 utility or eac3to. MeGUI is another excellent tool..

DTS is not a lossless format except DTS-MA. I have used the popcorn hour listed tool to convert mkv with flac to 640k dolby. We need a similar tool to convert those mkv to mts with lpcm, dts-ma, or dolby true-hd. I don't care which as long as the audio quality is lossless.
post #12715 of 26928 Old 07-11-2011, 08:01 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Can't you extract the FLAC audio to a .flac file and play that? (mkvextract)

You can also decode FLAC to lossless PCM as a WAV file. It will be about twice the size, but plays both locally and over DLNA.

Mkvmerge will accept WAV input and make mkv or mka containers with PCM contents. I suspect you can do multiple inputs for gapless playback.

It's been a while since I tested this. I'll check it again tomorrow, using FLAC files of different attributes.

I suspect FLAC within mkv is coming, but don't know when.

-Bill
post #12716 of 26928 Old 07-11-2011, 08:18 PM

Quote:

DTS is not a lossless format except DTS-MA. I have used the popcorn hour listed tool to convert mkv with flac to 640k dolby. We need a similar tool to convert those mkv to mts with lpcm, dts-ma, or dolby true-hd. I don't care which as long as the audio quality is lossless.

Sorry, I did mean DTS-MA. But to do what you want to do, you'll need commercial software such as ArcSoft Total Media Theatre or Sonic Cinemaster Audio Decoder. In any case, it ain't easy:-)
post #12717 of 26928 Old 07-12-2011, 04:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriousHorse View Post

Sorry, I did mean DTS-MA. But to do what you want to do, you'll need commercial software such as ArcSoft Total Media Theatre or Sonic Cinemaster Audio Decoder. In any case, it ain't easy:-)

you can install trial versions and the codecs will remain and can be used to convert dtsma tracks to wav which can then be placed into mkv. mkv also affords you the ability to add srt subtitles which can be streamed over dlna
post #12718 of 26928 Old 07-12-2011, 10:34 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:

Interesting point.

Honestly, I don't ever convert from FLAC to anything so I really can't offer much. With respect to Matroska containers there is no support for DTS-MA and TrueHD. You also want to avoid plain DTS because the last I knew it still can make the BDP-93 choke. No idea why they can't solve that problem but it does seriously annoy me. HD audio is one thing but actually being unable to get DTS audio to work without choking the player is... well... plain sad.

When I need to convert HD audio from an original Blu-Ray disc I add Clown_BD into my workflow.
post #12719 of 26928 Old 07-12-2011, 10:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
moderators/bob/neuro/et.al....

would it be possible to start another "bdp-93" thread that would be dedicated to people who want to discuss containers, software, etc.?

i'm not saying that stuff isn't important to people... but it's really throwing a drag onto this thread...

just a suggestion...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #12720 of 26928 Old 07-12-2011, 10:49 AM

Id second that.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Blu Ray Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version